San José Development News - Page 1180 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 1st, 2019, 02:49 PM   #23581
aphelion2100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Downtown San Jose
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 1713

California leaders abandoning futile bullet train plans

Looks like the democratically controlled state legislature is about to stick a knife into the heart of California's high speed rail plans. Meanwhile, nary a word from Governor Newsom. Apparently the governor meant what he said in his state of the state address: “there simply isn’t a path to get from Sacramento to San Diego, let alone from San Francisco to LA.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...t-train-plans/

Quote:
A group of Assembly Democrats from Southern California are considering shifting billions of dollars planned for the bullet train in the Central Valley to improvements of current commuter rail in the Bay Area and the south, the Los Angeles Times reported this week.

The plan apparently has the support of Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, who could be a powerful political force as the Legislature this year or next considers spending more money from high-speed rail bonds voters approved in 2008.

The money redirection would still leave part of the Central Valley with funding for new track on which trains could run faster, but without the electrification for a promised high-speed rail system like that in Europe.

In the Bay Area, the money might go toward improvements to the Caltrain system on the Peninsula. In Southern California, it might be used to improve passenger rail from Burbank to Anaheim, according to the Times.

While it might be a wiser use of transportation dollars, one that would benefit the Bay Area, let’s be intellectually honest: This is a political fight over which region of the state gets the remaining money from a failed high-speed rail project.

The proposed reallocation of funds only reinforces that this is now a scramble for the crumbs.

Last edited by aphelion2100; August 1st, 2019 at 03:39 PM.
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 1st, 2019, 03:04 PM   #23582
aphelion2100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Downtown San Jose
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 1713

August 2019 Edition - Downtown Dimesion

https://sjdowntown.com/wp_2016/wp-co...August2019.pdf

The SJDA predicts that the following downtown projects have the best chance of getting off the ground next:

Quote:
Planning permits are approved for the 1.1 million-square-foot Platform 16 tech campus at West Julian Street and Autumn Parkway. Bull-dozing of existing buildings makes way for development by Boston Properties, TMG Partners and Valley Oak Partners this fall.

Starcity’s co-living project, 199 Bassett St., 18 stories, 803 suites with private bedrooms and bathrooms, and shared kitchens and living areas. Environmental documents updated and special use permit approved that says project will have the same or less impact vs. previously approved permit.

27 South First St., the former Woolworth and Ross Dress for Less location, where the Bader Family and Alterra International plan a 22-story tower with 374 housing units on the 26,000-square-foot print. The project has its special use permit
__________________

CAAndrew, jpk122s, JoshuaSantos liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 04:15 PM   #23583
AMRivlin
Landscape Architect
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose
Posts: 173
Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
Looks like the democratically controlled state legislature is about to stick a knife into the heart of California's high speed rail plans. Meanwhile, nary a word from Governor Newsom. Apparently the governor meant what he said in his state of the state address: “there simply isn’t a path to get from Sacramento to San Diego, let alone from San Francisco to LA.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...t-train-plans/
Very poor leadership. Focusing on the now with nary a thought California's future.

Even at eye popping 77b+ numbers the project is under construction and could become a game changer for the entire state (ok sans anything North of Sacramento)

Now the large metros will squander funds on regions unwilling to adopt mass transit. Caltrain being an outlier, but mostly funded already.

The state at a minimum should buy the entire HSR ROW and let a private company build the infrastructure. Then lease to a builder/operator.
__________________
AMRivlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 1st, 2019, 05:34 PM   #23584
cl76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 76
Likes (Received): 53

The Nychos + SJ Sharks mural on the Modera on the Alameda is done!



Process pics (7/23 - 8/1): https://imgur.com/a/Zfges1D

Official unveiling is today, 8/1 at 6pm (not 100% on time).


----


I remember we complained about that blank wall when Modera originally got built; I'm so happy that we got a Nychos piece there. It probably sounds silly but this is a huge milestone for SJ getting a mural of this size from a super recognizable artist. Not to mention the aerial TV coverage this will get from all the Sharks games.

In the news:
Artist known as 'Nychos' creates massive mural marking Sharks Territory in San Jose
Shark mural looms large over Whole Foods lot near SAP Center

Last edited by cl76; August 1st, 2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added news links.
cl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 06:02 PM   #23585
Davodd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose
Posts: 381
Likes (Received): 392

San José Development News

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post

Some thoughts on this:

How are tall people or obese people or those with other mobility issues supposed to be getting in and out of the bottom stall? Imagine getting in and out with crutches.

These are not compatible with SUVs, Jeeps, compact pickups, crossovers, minivans, or most disabled-equipped vehicles.

Lots of moving parts. I wonder how often they break down or need serviced.
Davodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 07:11 PM   #23586
CAAndrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 165
Likes (Received): 121

San Jose Spotlight: San Jose accused of violating state law and losing records in Google negotiations

At this point, I'm not sure how this would help WPUSA's base/audience. I've assumed the goal is to extract benefits for the unions that would be hired on + "community benefits".
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 07:30 PM   #23587
Dirk_Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,319
Likes (Received): 1549

Quote:
Very poor leadership. Focusing on the now with nary a thought California's future.

Even at eye popping 77b+ numbers the project is under construction and could become a game changer for the entire state (ok sans anything North of Sacramento)

Now the large metros will squander funds on regions unwilling to adopt mass transit. Caltrain being an outlier, but mostly funded already.

The state at a minimum should buy the entire HSR ROW and let a private company build the infrastructure. Then lease to a builder/operator.
very poor leadership indeed. this project was doomed from day 1 by the nearly constant barrage of lawsuits challenging it. one has to think that if there were provisions in place early on to limit the lawsuits that we'd be seeing the completion of the central valley portion of the tracks right about now. the agencies lack of foresight to purchase the right of way during the great recession will add billions to the price tag as well. but possibly the biggest nail in the coffin was the suburban track alignment in the central valley and the decision to go through palmdale to reach the la basin.

if they're going to shift funds to the metros, the focus in the bay area needs to be grade separation. if the caltrain line from sf to tamien could be fully grade separated, we would be looking at a 125mph capable railroad. electrification of the full gilroy to sf line should be added to the docket as well. the one thing that should be off the table is the billions needed to bring the tracks from 4th/king to the transbay terminal. that vanity project can be paid by the city of san francisco. grade separations and track straightening on the capitol corridor would be a smart investment as well.
__________________

AMRivlin, CAAndrew liked this post
Dirk_Birkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 02:11 AM   #23588
Sharkcity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 747
Likes (Received): 1127

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/..._news_headline

Heritage Bank staying in San Jose. Cityview redevelopment keeps moving forward.

Quote:
The bank has leased 54,910 square feet of space in Hudson Pacific Properties’ 944,386-square-foot Class A office campus, called Concourse, at 224 Airport Parkway in San Jose, according to documents filed this week by the landlord.
__________________

jawz liked this post
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 02:55 AM   #23589
arturo
Downtown San Jose
 
arturo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sannozé
Posts: 1,322
Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
Looks like the democratically controlled state legislature is about to stick a knife into the heart of California's high speed rail plans. Meanwhile, nary a word from Governor Newsom. Apparently the governor meant what he said in his state of the state address: “there simply isn’t a path to get from Sacramento to San Diego, let alone from San Francisco to LA.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...t-train-plans/
Weak. But if they're smart they'll start building out the infrastructure in urban areas first to prove feasibility to the general public: SJ to SF and LA to Anaheim first then SJ to SAC and LA to SD next. Once these metros see the benefit of HSR hopefully it will become a statewide reality.
__________________
neither borders nor nations nor patriotism

Dirk_Birkin, jpk122s, flubuk liked this post
arturo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 03:02 AM   #23590
aphelion2100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Downtown San Jose
Posts: 1,044
Likes (Received): 1713

Micron opens modern new north San Jose campus amid growth spurt

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...-growth-spurt/

Quote:
Micron Technology on Thursday formally opened a gleaming new north San Jose campus that boasts an array of amenities that will help the semiconductor company recruit and retain employees.

“This puts Micron on the map in Silicon Valley,” said Aurea Milan-Alejandro, a Micron employee, in an interview with this news organization. “I love working here. This is a huge improvement over where we were working in Milpitas.”

The new campus, which totals 541,000 square feet, offers the company’s employees amenities such as on-site fitness facilities, a juice bar, a basketball court, and numerous gathering areas. It’s also close to a future Milpitas BART station, as well as shops and restaurants.
__________________

CAAndrew, CTA25 liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 03:05 AM   #23591
Dirk_Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,319
Likes (Received): 1549

Quote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/..._news_headline

Heritage Bank staying in San Jose. Cityview redevelopment keeps moving forward.
i'm glad they didn't high tail it out of the city like 8x8 did. instead, they've added 20k sqft of space here in town and are moving employees from mtn view into town. interesting that the new lease near the airport only runs through 2030. i wonder if that's a signal they want to move back into dtsj once the dust settles, possibly even back to city view once completed. probably wishful thinking.
__________________

CAAndrew, bobby_guz_man liked this post
Dirk_Birkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:33 AM   #23592
dirt patch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,074
Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
i'm glad they didn't high tail it out of the city like 8x8 did. instead, they've added 20k sqft of space here in town and are moving employees from mtn view into town. interesting that the new lease near the airport only runs through 2030. i wonder if that's a signal they want to move back into dtsj once the dust settles, possibly even back to city view once completed. probably wishful thinking.
Just ridiculous way of going about building towers downtown: demolish several decent towers to build several towers. One step forward and two two steps back. Posters are all for it. Might as well demolish all the towers downtown since posters here don't mind.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 10:02 AM   #23593
Discophil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 10

Maybe they should do a multi implosion on several buildings at once. Good publicity as local perhaps national news will cover it. "Downtown Silicon Valley takes shape"
__________________

Dirk_Birkin liked this post
Discophil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 07:35 PM   #23594
Dirk_Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,319
Likes (Received): 1549

Quote:
Just ridiculous way of going about building towers downtown: demolish several decent towers to build several towers. One step forward and two two steps back. Posters are all for it. Might as well demolish all the towers downtown since posters here don't mind.
normally i would agree with your first two sentences, especially since there is plenty of available space to develop in the core. but it's a sacrifice worth making when one of the most prolific developers in the area comes in with a proposal to basically quintuple the square footage of a key parcel in town. plus we should get an implosion or 2 out of it and everybody likes things that go boom.
__________________
Dirk_Birkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 11:04 PM   #23595
dirt patch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,074
Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
normally i would agree with your first two sentences, especially since there is plenty of available space to develop in the core. but it's a sacrifice worth making when one of the most prolific developers in the area comes in with a proposal to basically quintuple the square footage of a key parcel in town. plus we should get an implosion or 2 out of it and everybody likes things that go boom.
There will never be enough density downtown. There won't be urban dense feel of an exciting downtown.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 11:59 PM   #23596
gillynova
Registered User
 
gillynova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Milpitas
Posts: 1,051
Likes (Received): 1017

I guess it's okay to announce this now.

WeWork is launching the "Backyard" pop-up community space in Fountian Alley. For three months, they are repurposing the parking lot into an inviting public space where the community can access cultural events; classes; concerts; markets; coworking space; and a diversity of community activities, seven days a week.

They are launching this on August 15th. They will be featuring Music, Ribbon cutting, Art Activities, Food, Beer, and Wine.


Source: https://www.backyardsj.com/

https://www.facebook.com/events/335876833954491/
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/c/gillynova

AMRivlin, CAAndrew, JoshuaSantos liked this post
gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 10:52 PM   #23597
baydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 86
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
There will never be enough density downtown. There won't be urban dense feel of an exciting downtown.
I know, I know, I'm breaking my own rule about not feeding the troll, but here goes --

1. earlier statement - "they're just knocking down all the towers"

response:
first of all, let's look at the "towers" that have been demolished so far.
1a. whatever that old crumbling building was at 200 Park Ave. has been cleared away- Jay Paul via his brokers will begin the tower in early 2020 (Dirt Patch, you were wrong when you said the groundbreaking would be in Sept.)
1b. that ramshackle mess of junkyards, surface parking lots, and old industrial stuff that has been cleared away for Platform 16.

how many towers have been bulldozed so far in the current cycle? zero.

2. earlier statement - "downtown will never have enough density"

for whatever reason, Dirt Patch hates San Jose. That's fine. Hate all you want. you have your reasons. follow that warped hatred thru to whatever conclusion arises.

But what you are doing, D, is what in sports fandom is called "betting on the field"
briefly, especially if you have a dynasty - NBA, the Golden State Warriors; NFL, the New England Patriots - the haters (and some pro gamblers) "bet on the field." in other words, they bet on all 29 other NBA teams or all 31 other NFL teams to win the championship

and to me, that's what you're doing. It's easy to say downtown San Jose will fail. After all, it's never been a great success.

Now that you are on the verge of being proved wrong with your recent predictions that DTSJ will see "no new towers"
(Ooops - Adobe is rising, Jay Paul, Sobrato, Boston Platform 16, all seem to be either coming out of the ground or maneuvering)

you just move the goalposts and just change the parameters of success.

now your latest -- San Jose will never have enough density for an exciting, vibrant, dense, urban downtown, or whatever the latest blather is. SMDH

The first 3-4 apparent towers - Adobe, 200 Park, Platform 16, Block 8 Sobrato -- they ALL are following your prescription. Surface parking lots or very under-utilized sites are slated for replacement by dramatic new projects or towers.

And Google is DEFINITELY replacing either greatly under-utilized sites or outright junkyards, vacant lots, parking lots with their village.

It's absolutely pathetic what you're doing.

And with that, I vow to follow my own rule and never feed the troll again. but the Dirt Patch ramblings really needed answers this time.
__________________
baydude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 01:05 AM   #23598
dirt patch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,074
Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydude View Post
I know, I know, I'm breaking my own rule about not feeding the troll, but here goes --

1. earlier statement - "they're just knocking down all the towers"

response:
first of all, let's look at the "towers" that have been demolished so far.
1a. whatever that old crumbling building was at 200 Park Ave. has been cleared away- Jay Paul via his brokers will begin the tower in early 2020 (Dirt Patch, you were wrong when you said the groundbreaking would be in Sept.)
1b. that ramshackle mess of junkyards, surface parking lots, and old industrial stuff that has been cleared away for Platform 16.

how many towers have been bulldozed so far in the current cycle? zero.

2. earlier statement - "downtown will never have enough density"

for whatever reason, Dirt Patch hates San Jose. That's fine. Hate all you want. you have your reasons. follow that warped hatred thru to whatever conclusion arises.

But what you are doing, D, is what in sports fandom is called "betting on the field"
briefly, especially if you have a dynasty - NBA, the Golden State Warriors; NFL, the New England Patriots - the haters (and some pro gamblers) "bet on the field." in other words, they bet on all 29 other NBA teams or all 31 other NFL teams to win the championship

and to me, that's what you're doing. It's easy to say downtown San Jose will fail. After all, it's never been a great success.

Now that you are on the verge of being proved wrong with your recent predictions that DTSJ will see "no new towers"
(Ooops - Adobe is rising, Jay Paul, Sobrato, Boston Platform 16, all seem to be either coming out of the ground or maneuvering)

you just move the goalposts and just change the parameters of success.

now your latest -- San Jose will never have enough density for an exciting, vibrant, dense, urban downtown, or whatever the latest blather is. SMDH

The first 3-4 apparent towers - Adobe, 200 Park, Platform 16, Block 8 Sobrato -- they ALL are following your prescription. Surface parking lots or very under-utilized sites are slated for replacement by dramatic new projects or towers.

And Google is DEFINITELY replacing either greatly under-utilized sites or outright junkyards, vacant lots, parking lots with their village.

It's absolutely pathetic what you're doing.

And with that, I vow to follow my own rule and never feed the troll again. but the Dirt Patch ramblings really needed answers this time.
Correction: 200 Park Avenue will break ground in the fall as soon as they clear Planning Director's hearing in late Aug. This is from city planner. Secondly, I've always said Adobe was the exceptions from day 1. As for 200 Park Ave: J Paul is very ambitious and willing to build without seeking loans. Sobrato will most likely not break ground 1. too ambitious and 2. no single magic tenant. J Paul may be going too far by demoing the whole Civic View Plaza. If they do that: Downtown, indeed, will never have the density and feel of a cool urban center, Counterproductive. Note: Platform 16 is not a high rise but a collection of 6 story buildings almost immediately underway on Autumn st. https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/...-google-adobe/

Last edited by dirt patch; August 4th, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 03:13 AM   #23599
Yakumoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Santa Cruz / Los Angeles
Posts: 133
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
There will never be enough density downtown. There won't be urban dense feel of an exciting downtown.
I know, I know, I'm breaking my own rule about not feeding the troll, but here goes --

1. earlier statement - "they're just knocking down all the towers"

response:
first of all, let's look at the "towers" that have been demolished so far.
1a. whatever that old crumbling building was at 200 Park Ave. has been cleared away- Jay Paul via his brokers will begin the tower in early 2020 (Dirt Patch, you were wrong when you said the groundbreaking would be in Sept.)
1b. that ramshackle mess of junkyards, surface parking lots, and old industrial stuff that has been cleared away for Platform 16.

how many towers have been bulldozed so far in the current cycle? zero.

2. earlier statement - "downtown will never have enough density"

for whatever reason, Dirt Patch hates San Jose. That's fine. Hate all you want. you have your reasons. follow that warped hatred thru to whatever conclusion arises.

But what you are doing, D, is what in sports fandom is called "betting on the field"
briefly, especially if you have a dynasty - NBA, the Golden State Warriors; NFL, the New England Patriots - the haters (and some pro gamblers) "bet on the field." in other words, they bet on all 29 other NBA teams or all 31 other NFL teams to win the championship

and to me, that's what you're doing. It's easy to say downtown San Jose will fail. After all, it's never been a great success.

Now that you are on the verge of being proved wrong with your recent predictions that DTSJ will see "no new towers"
(Ooops - Adobe is rising, Jay Paul, Sobrato, Boston Platform 16, all seem to be either coming out of the ground or maneuvering)

you just move the goalposts and just change the parameters of success.

now your latest -- San Jose will never have enough density for an exciting, vibrant, dense, urban downtown, or whatever the latest blather is. SMDH

The first 3-4 apparent towers - Adobe, 200 Park, Platform 16, Block 8 Sobrato -- they ALL are following your prescription. Surface parking lots or very under-utilized sites are slated for replacement by dramatic new projects or towers.

And Google is DEFINITELY replacing either greatly under-utilized sites or outright junkyards, vacant lots, parking lots with their village.

It's absolutely pathetic what you're doing.

And with that, I vow to follow my own rule and never feed the troll again. but the Dirt Patch ramblings really needed answers this time.
They're knocking down homes and neighborhoods east of the 87 like they've been doing around there for 60 years, maybe thats detracting from a "vibrant" downtown? People throwing up their arms "where are all the homeless coming from"
Yakumoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 03:40 AM   #23600
CAAndrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 165
Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumoto View Post
They're knocking down homes and neighborhoods east of the 87 like they've been doing around there for 60 years, maybe thats detracting from a "vibrant" downtown? People throwing up their arms "where are all the homeless coming from"
They destroyed neighborhoods to build 280 and, later, 87, and probably lots of the big civic buildings... but I'm not sure what you're talking about in the last few years. Care to clarify?
__________________

CTA25, Sharkcity liked this post
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
san josé

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us