San José Development News - Page 496 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #9901
DarkEconomist

Likes (Received): 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
Roger that. If you want to make downtown living enticing in California, you need a downtown mall. One of them Westfield places should do nicely.
Is that sarcasm? I really hope that's sarcasm.
DarkEconomist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #9902
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLRISE View Post
http://abc7news.com/society/sj-commu...posal/1288764/

NIMBYs disapprove San Jose plan for manufactured homes for the homeless
http://www.ktvu.com/news/114703868-story

Now you know why DTSJ is about the only place where the city can house the homeless without NIMBY eruptions.
If we are perfectly honest The lot is basically squeezed between 87 and Almaden Expy, with the only thing around there being storage service, the Evan's Lane Wellness & Recovery Center, a small mobile home park, and one apartment building. The article calls it Willow Glen as if it were pricey Willow Glen area, but it really isn't.
Of course people that don't already have a bunch of homeless people around are going to complain, it doesn't mean the city is not better off, at the end of the day having less homeless on the streets downtown helps the entire city as we get more sales tax if more people come downtown. if people avoid the metal health clinic because of homeless, we could see some negative things, mental health is important though, I don't think people will avoid the storage place, and I don't think the apartments will go empty. There really is no retail there. I think the city is better off putting the mobile homes, there.
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #9903
nerdymark

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
The article calls it Willow Glen as if it were pricey Willow Glen area, but it really isn't.
Right? Even Conklin Brothers was complaining. A carpet store.

Isn't this site going to be for the homeless who actually want to get out of their situation? Like with mental health care and substance abuse treatment? I question the moral values of anyone opposing this.

If they did this in The Jungle, I don't think I would oppose it (close enough for me to consider "my backyard).

HILLRISE, aelar liked this post
nerdymark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #9904
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEconomist View Post
Wow. Just wow. Because wealthier people complained, let's put it on the east side, where the poor people are, the brown people, the Asian immigrants. Can we, in San Jose, at least leave that kind of mentality in the 20th century?

The reality is that every time SJ announces any kind of affordable housing or homeless development or recovery or treatment center, nearby residents rise up screaming bloody murder. "Fix the problem...just don't fix it over here!"
I was raised in the East Side, spare me the lecture. I'm just being honest. The East Side is the place where land is plenty, affordable, and less likely to engender opposition. Why not put it there?

Why do we insist on putting these types of housing near areas where we're trying to revive (Downtown) or where we know there are heavy opposition (Wilow Glen, Almaden, Evergreen, SSJ, WSJ, etc) from wealthier folks?

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; April 13th, 2016 at 10:33 PM.
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #9905
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Roger that. If you want to make downtown living enticing in California, you need a downtown mall. One of them Westfield places should do nicely.
We have too many malls, though. Honestly, if I live in Downtown and had no car and can spend half a day at the mall, I can just hop onto lightrail and head south to Oakridge Mall or north to Great Mall.

And if they ever build lightrail/BART to ValleyFair, that'll render any mall in Downtown redundant. Heck, even a BRT that actually works would do just fine.

For retail to do well in Downtown, the stores would have to be unique and differentiate itself from the mega malls that San Jose already has.

jmike408 liked this post
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #9906
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymark View Post
Right? Even Conklin Brothers was complaining. A carpet store.

Isn't this site going to be for the homeless who actually want to get out of their situation? Like with mental health care and substance abuse treatment? I question the moral values of anyone opposing this.

If they did this in The Jungle, I don't think I would oppose it (close enough for me to consider "my backyard).
Nobody is opposing it nerdy. They just don't want it around their particular neighborhoods, and I don't blame them. It's human nature.
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #9907
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
We have too many malls, though. Honestly, if I live in Downtown and had no car and can spend half a day at the mall, I can just hop onto lightrail and head south to Oakridge Mall or north to Great Mall.

And if they ever build lightrail/BART to ValleyFair, that'll render any mall in Downtown redundant. Heck, even a BRT that actually works would do just fine.

For retail to do well in Downtown, the stores would have to be unique and differentiate itself from the mega malls that San Jose already has.
The reason that malls work is not because they are cheesy and plastic or anything like that. The small, unique shops can't live long by themselves. That's why they need "anchor stores" - like department stores and grocery stores. These chain stores can weather economic storms and attract shoppers to the small unique shops that you apparently like to visit.
Old April 13th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #9908
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
The reason that malls work is not because they are cheesy and plastic or anything like that. The small, unique shops can't live long by themselves. That's why they need "anchor stores" - like department stores and grocery stores. These chain stores can weather economic storms and attract shoppers to the small unique shops that you apparently like to visit.
I actually visit chain stores more so than boutique shops. That said, it'll be hard to justify another Macy's when you can drive 10 minutes to one west of Downtown.

Westgate Mall, though it's now doing better than before, suffered from being in close proximity to ValleyFair/The Row.
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:37 AM   #9909
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I don't get it, they(Core) already said they're going save the facade, what more is there that needs to happen, does the city want the inside of the buildings preserved?
If I were the city, I'd destroy these cheap historic buildings that I think has absolutely no value once so ever and just a ploy to make developer so miserable that he would give up on the high rise. Let's face it: the city doesn't want high rises anymore quietly since it thinks the downtown already has way too many high rises anyway. That's the quiet thinking of the city leaders, not really Sam Liccardo- just most everyone else.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #9910
usedmedia

Likes (Received): 115

San Jose should spend zero effort/money chasing formula chain retail to come downtown. Valley Fair & Santana Row are here to stay, get over it already. The Great Mall does huge business, and will probably do even better once BART is finished next year. The retail business is cutthroat, and chains will only open in a location that makes fiscal sense. If a national chain decides opening up a store downtown is a good idea, then they'll do it. There's nothing preventing them now. There are plenty of empty store fronts along 1st and 2nd.

As I've said before, SJ should concentrate on bringing as many residents and jobs downtown as possible. Retail will naturally follow that, assuming is makes sense. Cultural institutions, civic events, cool restaurants, and nightlife are what should be focused on. Those are the types of things that will get people to come out of the suburbs, not another Urban Outfitters branch.

That being said, as a downtown/SoFA resident I wouldn't mind seeing a small format Walmart Express downtown. That could possibly work. I was hoping for a City Target, but with a full-size Target so close to downtown that probably won't happen.

Speaking of events, the SoFA Street Fair is starting a new spring edition this year! It will be this month on 4/24. Listen to free music and support local retail:
https://www.facebook.com/events/510078469185560/
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #9911
dirt patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedmedia View Post
San Jose should spend zero effort/money chasing formula chain retail to come downtown. Valley Fair & Santana Row are here to stay, get over it already. The Great Mall does huge business, and will probably do even better once BART is finished next year. The retail business is cutthroat, and chains will only open in a location that makes fiscal sense. If a national chain decides opening up a store downtown is a good idea, then they'll do it. There's nothing preventing them now. There are plenty of empty store fronts along 1st and 2nd.

As I've said before, SJ should concentrate on bringing as many residents and jobs downtown as possible. Retail will naturally follow that, assuming is makes sense. Cultural institutions, civic events, cool restaurants, and nightlife are what should be focused on. Those are the types of things that will get people to come out of the suburbs, not another Urban Outfitters branch.

That being said, as a downtown/SoFA resident I wouldn't mind seeing a small format Walmart Express downtown. That could possibly work. I was hoping for a City Target, but with a full-size Target so close to downtown that probably won't happen.

Speaking of events, the SoFA Street Fair is starting a new spring edition this year! It will be this month on 4/24. Listen to free music and support local retail:
https://www.facebook.com/events/510078469185560/
It is useless to bring in more residents since nothing will change realistically! Downtown is already awash with a lot of housing(11,000) and many residents with disposable incomes(60,000 from census covering area from 280 north to Taylor st and west from 87 to 11 street east) and still rising with Silvery Towers on the fast track now and Marshall Sq beginning in May. Downtown is already at the point of these changes, if this were to happen but not happening, even if they build 10,000 more housing units. It'll just lead to more grocery stores, cafe's and restaurants. We don't need them anymore than what we have already(325 restaurants now downtown)
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #9912
dirt patch

Then the city should solely subsidize Euro/asian unique stores downtown in a little glassy outdoor mall attached to new tower somewhere in downtown, preferable at First/San Fernando by reviving that beautifully proposed original 21 story AboveNet headquarter tower with a little specialized upscale unique mall. I don't mind if the city heavily subsidize the heck out of it.
Old April 14th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #9913
dirt patch

Update: Sobrato's Second Street tower is still on and looking for fast groundbreaking in late spring, if the city gives them approval. It's in the approval process, according to project manager of Second Street Apt. I believe it when I see(must get pass over 12 story in height in concrete plate which I feel it's the point of no return) it before I'm convinced this is for real. Sobratos are saying it's for real and serious about it. Don't take my words for it, take the project manager words in case if this project doesn't happen or stalls in the middle of the construction, leaving a big hole.

bobby_guz_man liked this post
Old April 14th, 2016, 02:29 AM   #9914
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
If I were the city, I'd destroy these cheap historic buildings that I think has absolutely no value once so ever and just a ploy to make developer so miserable that he would give up on the high rise. Let's face it: the city doesn't want high rises anymore quietly since it thinks the downtown already has way too many high rises anyway. That's the quiet thinking of the city leaders, not really Sam Liccardo- just most everyone else.
This type of short-sighted thinking is what destroyed downtown in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. They tore down "cheap historic buildings" in order to build things that never materialized. Every single surface lot used to be an historic building that attracted foot traffic and contributed to the architectural fabric of the city. There is enough open space downtown to not need to tear down a single historic building.
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #9915
loldawg

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLRISE View Post
This part..

Quote:
Today the roaster is "bursting at the seams" and is moving to Midtown Arts + Mercantile, a warehouse at 460 Lincoln Ave. that's being refashioned into a hip retail/market hall/"maker" space concept by Barry Swenson Builder, Warren said.

bobby_guz_man, DarkEconomist liked this post
loldawg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:11 AM   #9916
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo View Post
This type of short-sighted thinking is what destroyed downtown in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. They tore down "cheap historic buildings" in order to build things that never materialized. Every single surface lot used to be an historic building that attracted foot traffic and contributed to the architectural fabric of the city. There is enough open space downtown to not need to tear down a single historic building.
I don't see any architectural quality whatsoever in these particular buildings, or the one at Stockton Avenue that temporarily held up the apartment project there, or that crap box next to Marshall Square project.

It is regrettable that the City went on a binge and bulldoze many great looking historic buildings back in the yonder days, but this is almost feeling like they're going all out to preserve ANYTHING "historic" for the sole sake of making up for what was done in the 60's.

DarkEconomist, loldawg liked this post
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:13 AM   #9917
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by loldawg View Post
This part..

"Today the roaster is "bursting at the seams" and is moving to Midtown Arts + Mercantile, a warehouse at 460 Lincoln Ave. that's being refashioned into a hip retail/market hall/"maker" space concept by Barry Swenson Builder, Warren said"

That's the first I've heard of it. Any other tidbits about this?
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #9918
nerdymark

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Nobody is opposing it nerdy. They just don't want it around their particular neighborhoods, and I don't blame them. It's human nature.
It's also human nature to help others. Our council members need to take the right position on this. This one property would only address 10% of the homeless population. I hope it's a success and a model for more.

aelar, rickupton, RaymondHood liked this post
nerdymark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 05:09 AM   #9919
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymark View Post
It's also human nature to help others. Our council members need to take the right position on this. This one property would only address 10% of the homeless population. I hope it's a success and a model for more.
Until it's in your neighborhood

Why force it into an area where there are heavy opposition and risk the ire of an entire neighborhood, when there are easier places? We're going to need Willow Glen's cooperation on many bigger projects in the future, such as the Three Creeks Trail and the motherload that is the High Speed Rail alignment, why do we need to antagonize this particular neighborhood over something so insignificant as this?
Old April 14th, 2016, 07:44 AM   #9920
DarkEconomist

Likes (Received): 901

Quote:
I was raised in the East Side, spare me the lecture. I'm just being honest. The East Side is the place where land is plenty, affordable, and less likely to engender opposition. Why not put it there?

Why do we insist on putting these types of housing near areas where we're trying to revive (Downtown) or where we know there are heavy opposition (Wilow Glen, Almaden, Evergreen, SSJ, WSJ, etc) from wealthier folks?
I get why you said it. It was the presentation was terrible. Put the bad stuff where land is more plentiful and voters are less vocal. Yes, there are reasons to go that direction, but it also has shades of "urban renewal" and "urban freeways." We've been down that road.

Why insist on putting it elsewhere than the East side? There isn't one reason as to why it should be in any given location: where land is owned by the city; available jobs; available transportation options to jobs.

Look, if we want these individuals to, ultimately, move upward out of this housing, they need easy access to jobs. That's proximity and/or frequent transit in multiple directions to maximize opportunity coverage. So, while it may be politically convenient to shove them to the edges, doing so may be self-defeating.

Tags
san josé