San José Development News - Page 539 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2016, 06:43 PM   #10761
quadshock

Likes (Received): 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondHood View Post
KT Urban has acquired most of the block across First Street from the California Theater.
It has just shown a very preliminary plan for three glass towers to some local stakeholders.
My hunch is that the architects will be the same Portland firm that designed 1 South market.
Whoa this could be huge. That is the weirdest bald spot (especially when there are conferences, conventions, etc.) between SoFA and the restaurant houses on 3rd. Really makes that entire neighborhood much less walkable. Developing this block would be huge for downtown.
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #10762
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
This is a sad indictment of downtown as a retail location.
After a year of vacancy at downtown's 100% corner, is this the best that they could do?
How many other coffee places are there within 3 or 4 blocks of this site -- more than a dozen?

Does anyone know why Peet's left DTSJ a couple of years ago?
My guess is rents are ridiculously high.
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:47 PM   #10763
quadshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
As if everyone in the downtown area uses "transit" (you mean buses or light rail don't you) or is willing to walk to the supermarket? I'm pretty sure that when most of us park at our neighborhood supermarket, we fight to get the closest parking place - and then you expect downtowners to walk? It doesn't match up.
Safeway might also just be unfortunately located. It loses a huge chunk of potential residents in its radius due to being so close to SJSU. If the same Safeway was surrounded by towers (e.g. in SPS area) it would have a lot more day-to-day people who would patron the store. A few hundred extra units right next door, with most of them needing weekly groceries, could have a big impact.

Also it's probably clear why the Safeway has such a disproportionately large section for alcohol. The liquor + beer sections combined are larger than any other single category in the store. They've found that to be the market, not the traditional supermarket stock. Or maybe that's the reason why people don't go there as much for "real" groceries. Chicken or the egg I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2016, 07:34 PM   #10764
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 137

Downtowners will have to depend on various vectors into the suburbs. Hopefully not too far out.
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:55 PM   #10765
Davodd

Likes (Received): 383

Family Justice Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
The Market Street side also holds the trash bins. You can see them right through that center gate. The County, as usual, is up to no good.
It's a state building, not a county building. All CA counties turned over their courts to the state a few years ago. The county's only involvement now is providing Sheriff's deputies for security.
Davodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:08 PM   #10766
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodd View Post
Family Justice Center

It's a state building, not a county building. All CA counties turned over their courts to the state a few years ago. The county's only involvement now is providing Sheriff's deputies for security.
Goddamn it. Even the state wants to F us over. First the Lower Guadalupe development, and now this.
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:10 PM   #10767
Davodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post

This looks almost done, the signs are even lit up at night.
UPDATED TIMELINE:

AUGUST 1, 2016: The official mailing addresses for the Park Ave, Terraine, Notre Dame and Sunnyvale courts switch to Family Justice Center, 201 N First St., San Jose CA 95113

AUGUST 12: The Park and Sunnyvale courts last day

AUGUST 15: All Park and Sunnyvale departments move to the FJC.

AUGUST 19: The Terraine and Notre Dame courts' last day

AUGUST 22: All Terraine and Notre Dame departments move to the new building.
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:16 PM   #10768
SV2SJ

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
This is a sad indictment of downtown as a retail location.
After a year of vacancy at downtown's 100% corner, is this the best that they could do?
How many other coffee places are there within 3 or 4 blocks of this site -- more than a dozen?

Does anyone know why Peet's left DTSJ a couple of years ago?
Agreed. Not much to be excited about. Unless it happens to be the next big thing in coffee, but I highly doubt it.
SV2SJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:21 PM   #10769
SV2SJ

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedmedia View Post
According to the "Fly" rumor column in today's new issue of Metro magazine, 75% of the parkers in this garage are Safeway shoppers, and the validated parking helps keep the Safeway afloat. Of course, these are unsubstantiated claims from a rumor column.

Here's my personal take on it: As someone who lives 3 blocks from this Safeway, I rarely patronize it, except for occasionally grabbing bread, milk, or some other staple that I can easily transport on foot. When I first moved downtown I was excited that there was a Safeway so close, yet I quickly discovered that they didn't carry a lot of things that I normally buy. I live only one block from the Vietnamese market on 2nd, so I pop in there pretty often to pick up produce (plus it's half the cost of Safeway). I tend to make big shopping trip runs, so I drive to Grocery Outlet, Mi Pueblo, the full-size Safeway on Meridian, or Costco.

Basically, this small-format Safeway isn't very useful to me. If I'm going to purchase more than one or two things, I'm going to drive. And if I'm going to drive, why not drive to the full-size Safeway (or some other store) where parking isn't a hassle, plus they have everything I want? That's my dilemma.
I went to this Safeway a handful of times the first year it was open, only because I happened to be in the area. I get that it was not a full size Safeway, but it just seemed to be so poorly executed in terms of what was available. That said, not sure how the store actually does or what their foot traffic looks like, but I'm sure having no validated parking is going to hurt, so not surprised that Safeway wants to shut this store down.
SV2SJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 12:21 AM   #10770
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1423

if safeway is so worried about validated parking, why don't they pay for it themselves? i'm sure they could negotiate a favorable deal with the new owners of the garage. if their business depends on customers driving to their location, then their business should foot the bill for their parking.
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 12:22 AM   #10771
Xynoplas

http://grist.org/food/americas-worst...overs-edition/
Only 17 percent of San Jose's residents are within 5 minutes walking distance to a grocery store.
Liquor stores don't qualify as "grocery stores", BTW.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:41 AM   #10772
quadshock

Quote:
http://grist.org/food/americas-worst...overs-edition/
Only 17 percent of San Jose's residents are within 5 minutes walking distance to a grocery store.
OK, but what about dtsj?
Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:51 AM   #10773
BuildItNTheyWillCome

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
are within 5 minutes walking distance to a grocery store.
I would have a lot of question about the data and analysis used for this conclusion. What is the definition of grocery store, I saw that New York was at the top of the list, but does a bodega which has limited items count as a grocery store? I would be more interested in how many full service grocery store are available per capita. San Jose is a more Suburban city with a vast amount of land coverage. I am not surprise grocery stores are not located within within a quarter mile of each other, as that is usually not a good business model to locate grocery stores so close to each other.
BuildItNTheyWillCome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:15 AM   #10774
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Valley Title Lot? Really, that lot is huge. I thought there were just permits for food trucks pulled for that lot. That is huge news, almost as big as someone developing the Mitchell lot.
Just to be clear, KT Urban didn't acquire the whole block. There are businesses at the south end of the block that remain in other hands. I also don't know the ownership status of the former Chamber of Commerce building at the north end.

Still, it's a big chunk of acreage.

Last edited by RaymondHood; July 22nd, 2016 at 08:05 AM.
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:02 PM   #10775
Xynoplas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildItNTheyWillCome View Post
I would have a lot of question about the data and analysis used for this conclusion. What is the definition of grocery store, I saw that New York was at the top of the list, but does a bodega which has limited items count as a grocery store? I would be more interested in how many full service grocery store are available per capita. San Jose is a more Suburban city with a vast amount of land coverage. I am not surprise grocery stores are not located within within a quarter mile of each other, as that is usually not a good business model to locate grocery stores so close to each other.
I don't know, at least one of the maps that is cited in the article considers Guru's Liquor to be a grocer, although they don't sell any fresh fruits besides limes.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:22 PM   #10776
Davodd

Quote:
I also don't know the ownership status of the former Chamber of Commerce building at the north end.
300 S First is owned by the Edwards family trust (relations of Don Edwards). The building is nearing its end of life as rentable space due to deteriorating foundation and other issues - the family is interested in selling; last I heard renovation would cost more than the building is worth.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:41 PM   #10777
Davodd

Does anyone know if any of the developers plan on putting a real IMAX movie theatre (not a special attraction or dome theatre) in the South Bay? We have tons of those mini "IMAX Experience" theatres, but they are not true 70mm IMAX.

Having to commute to Dublin or SF sucks.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:17 PM   #10778
usedmedia

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodd View Post
Does anyone know if any of the developers plan on putting a real IMAX movie theatre (not a special attraction or dome theatre) in the South Bay? We have tons of those mini "IMAX Experience" theatres, but they are not true 70mm IMAX.

Having to commute to Dublin or SF sucks.

The theater at the Tech Museum is a true 70mm IMAX film theater. However, it's a dome, so maybe that doesn't fit your criteria.

I saw both Force Awakens and Batman vs. Superman there. Interesting, it was the only theater in California that showed the 70mm version of Force Awakens.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-awakens-70mm/
usedmedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 01:14 AM   #10779
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 409

tramell Crow project is delayed by SJ Sharks. They're doing EIR report to avoid lawsuit.

Greyhound two towers is going through a redesign to improve the looks of the two towers.

Post Tower should break ground in Aug/Sept.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 02:10 AM   #10780
quadshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
tramell Crow project is delayed by SJ Sharks. They're doing EIR report to avoid lawsuit.

Greyhound two towers is going through a redesign to improve the looks of the two towers.

Post Tower should break ground in Aug/Sept.
Really? Breaking in the next 6 weeks?

And good about the GH towers, wasn't a fan of the renders personally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé