San José Development News - Page 688 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #13741
sjn

Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Can't copy it, the gist is that Trammel Crow paid to buy a 6.8 acre lot with a warehouse at 587 Cinnabar St for about $50M from the owner there.

Nevermind, fake news. That could be where they'd put the additional parking for SAP Center they've promised to provide? Though I'd hope they'd do something else to make that area north of SAP but south of Coleman less blighted.

Last edited by sjn; May 27th, 2017 at 03:54 AM.
sjn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2017, 02:57 AM   #13742
sjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
Apartment complex by Delma/ San Carlos breaks ground within a week. It's a go!
There are like six projects in that immediate area on the map. Be more specific. Which one? Where is your magic source of this?
Old May 27th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #13743
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn View Post
There are like six projects in that immediate area on the map. Be more specific. Which one? Where is your magic source of this?
The construction crew at the site is the source. The site is at the immediate corner of Delma/San Carlos next to where the tree is marked for protection. It's a five story apartment complex.

sjn, DarkEconomist liked this post
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2017, 04:08 AM   #13744
sjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
The construction crew at the site is the source. The site is at the immediate corner of Delma/San Carlos next to where the tree is marked for protection. It's a five story apartment complex.
So the 201 Delmas Ave project. The proposal right next to it is also by the same developers. I wonder if they're building both.
Old May 27th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #13745
sjn

Following up on my post about Volar being at the planning commission on 24th, I found the answer I was looking for: the planning commission unanimously voted to approve the project. Will face the City Council in June.

https://twitter.com/CatalyzeSV/statu...16428014174208

If this thing gets built (gigantic if), SR will probably get that office tower proposal we all want (edit: clarification, I meant that as a future proposal somewhere in the SR area, not part of this project).

Last edited by sjn; May 27th, 2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old May 27th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #13746
dirt patch

Quote:
So the 201 Delmas Ave project. The proposal right next to it is also by the same developers. I wonder if they're building both.
Yep, they're building both simultaneously.

CTA25, nerdymark, DarkEconomist liked this post
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #13747
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 1585

Quote:
Following up on my post about Volar being at the planning commission on 24th, I found the answer I was looking for: the planning commission unanimously voted to approve the project. Will face the City Council in June.

If this thing gets built (gigantic if), SR will probably get that office tower proposal we all want.
Quote:

If this thing gets built (gigantic if), SR will probably get that office tower proposal we all want.
Looks like the reconfigured design paid off in order to meet the requirements of a Signature Project designation. I still wished that they could have kept the original design somehow & still met the requirements for a Signature Project. Oh well, maybe someday San Jose will get a truly iconic high rise building - maybe in the N.S.J. commercial district?

Quote:
Nevermind, fake news. That could be where they'd put the additional parking for SAP Center they've promised to provide? Though I'd hope they'd do something else to make that area north of SAP but south of Coleman less blighted.
I'm sure Hasso Plattner would be very pleased with your generous offer, but somehow I doubt that Trammell Crow would spend $51.5million just to build a parking structure.

Here are some site maps for you to look at from the Diridon Station Area Plan that explains what type of structures may be built at this location:

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/25153

-

That area is designated as a Transit Employment Center where the following type of developments could be built:

Quote:
Uses allowed under this designation include office, industrial, research and development, manufacturing, assembly, and testing. Retail shops are permitted in the first two floors of the buildings. Large hotels of at least 200 rooms and four or more stories in height are also allowed. New development should orient buildings toward public streets and transit facilities and include features to provide an enhanced pedestrian environment.

This designation applies to the majority of the Northern Zone, east of Stockton Avenue and north of the Arena. The Driving Industry type businesses expected to locate to this area include high technology and green tech type businesses that would place a premium on being adjacent to Diridon Station with its wide array of transit opportunities. Because this area is nearest the Mineta San José International Airport, it has the most stringent building height restrictions in the Plan area.

sjn, jawz, DarkEconomist liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #13748
sjn

Did not know it was worth $51 million. Yeah. Agree with you.

Last edited by sjn; May 27th, 2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old May 27th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #13749
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 1585

Quote:

Not sure about the Volar being an office tower since the majority of space will be for residential units (up to 307 residential units) & only 52,167 sq.ft. of commercial & office uses.

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/68873

There were some new renderings from the Planning Commission Staff Report that I thought were worth looking at. If this proposal is actually built, most of us will likely only visit the rooftop restaurant & deck which is quite attractive & will offer some of the best views of the surrounding area. I think the rooftop deck & restaurant are actually the best part of this proposed project since it will likely attract a lot of visitors & could generate huge income potentially for the restaurant.

--------

jawz, DarkEconomist liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #13750
sjn

I meant that Volar would inspire another proposal for high rise in SR area, that being an office tower. Love the new render though.

In other news, I found a render for the 267 Delmas Ave project that DP claims will start construction very soon (page 19 here). Wasn't able to find one for the adjacent 201 one, though.

Much better than the view now.

Last edited by sjn; May 27th, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #13751
SJNewKid

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
In other news, I found a render for the 267 Delmas Ave project that DP claims will start construction very soon (page 19 here). Wasn't able to find one for the adjacent 201 one, though.

Much better than the view now.
Latest render for the 201 Delmas project. 5 stories facing Park Ave, 4 facing Delmas Ave.

Old May 28th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #13752
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 2364

Station Village (785 The Alameda) - May 13, 2017

Old May 28th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #13753
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
Not sure about the Volar being an office tower since the majority of space will be for residential units (up to 307 residential units) & only 52,167 sq.ft. of commercial & office uses.

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/68873
Thanks for the link to the doc, Aphelion! Now, some cringing quotes from the document:

Quote:
The hours of the roof top will operate like a standard City park, from sunup to sundown, and will offer park like amenities to the public
ranging from chess tables, to rentable fire pit areas.
Sigh...there goes those romantic night outs to see city lights from atop the building. San Jose: Master of Shooting Own Foot.

Quote:
The project has a unique architectural design and offers a rare rooftop plaza that will be open to the public during normal city park hours. The design incorporates high quality materials and uses metal and glass to create a sleek overall look. As a pioneer of high rise development in this area of the City, the project provides a distinct building crown, which is an important goal of the Commercial Design Guidelines, and the General Plan.
Unique architectural design? It's a ****** box!

Quote:
The proposed project was reviewed by the Urban Design Review consultants on January 28, 2016. At the suggestion of this review, the applicant simplified the project in architectural form and expression, creating a more balanced, elegant volume. The height and unit count was reduced to create a more balanced site design. The second iteration of the project provides an improved pedestrian expression on South Winchester, and adheres to appropriate setback and street walls of the adjacent buildings. The movement of the balconies has been balanced so that they are not only expressed in an out-broad movements. Finally, the crown element has been simplified to be a more elegant finish to the building
The 2nd iteration is more elegant? Planning commission, I need to know where you've been getting your weed from, because that is some good shit!!!!!

Quote:
There are no single-family residences or historic structures directly adjacent to the project site, eliminating the common concerns related to taller structures adjacent to smaller, less intense residential uses
Then why the F did the City reduce the height of the building?

Quote:
Analysis: The proposed design for this project is unique and a departure from the common square, boxy high rise development that is typical of construction in San Jose.
By the time I got to this gem (top of page 9), I am beginning to think maybe I should stop blaming the developers in this City over crappy designs. Looks like they're answering to a higher power right here in the local government...

sjn, quadshock, jawz, DarkEconomist liked this post

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; May 28th, 2017 at 09:10 AM.
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #13754
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 658

Apologies to the forum if I sound especially onerous. I'm a bit pissed at myself right now, for I was having a great Saturday and then decided to F it up by attending a Quakes game...

jawz, Xynoplas liked this post
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #13755
quadshock

Likes (Received): 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Apologies to the forum if I sound especially onerous. I'm a bit pissed at myself right now, for I was having a great Saturday and then decided to F it up by attending a Quakes game...
I just want to see renders of what the city considers truly beautiful architecture that fits their guidelines

bobby_guz_man, DarkEconomist liked this post
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #13756
sjn

I will try to check the Delmas sites during my light rail rides today. Unless someone wants to try to beat me to it. Might be able to take a pic.

Edit: Once again DP spouts fake news. Still an overgrown, weed-ridden lot with no workers in sight. If there isn't construction before I leave for Latin America again in mid-June it'd be a shame.

Last edited by sjn; May 30th, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #13757
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
By the time I got to this gem (top of page 9), I am beginning to think maybe I should stop blaming the developers in this City over crappy designs. Looks like they're answering to a higher power right here in the local government...
i had some similar reactions to the planning commission's comments about the greyhound project. there was a note in there about the 'twin tower design unique to san jose'. all i could think to myself was unique? really? have they heard of riverpark towers, the towers at 2nd & santa clara, silvery towers, community towers, adobe headquarters; or the planned twin towers at SJSC, diridon, valley title? seems like 1/4 of the buildings downtown are twin towers, yet the planning commission thinks the design is unique? WTF?

bobby_guz_man, CTA25, Frostys, Davodd liked this post
Dirk_Birkin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #13758
dirt patch

Quote:
I will try to check the Delmas sites during my light rail rides today. Unless someone wants to try to beat me to it. Might be able to take a pic.

Edit: Once again DP spouts fake news. Still an overgrown, weed-ridden lot with no workers in sight. If there isn't construction before I leave for Latin America again in mid-June it'd be a shame.
Fake news? You obviously don't read well: they should be breaking ground within a week or so. I never reported that it's under construction. They're marking the site and preparing the site for construction. This is according to its construction guys at the site when I was there.
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #13759
dirt patch

It should be underway when sjn is away on to Latin America.
Old May 31st, 2017, 04:01 AM   #13760
dirt patch

The park in SoFA unveils its new features this Fri. at Zero Arts festival
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé