San JosÚ Development News - Page 755 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:15 PM   #15081
pesto

Likes (Received): 3902

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
San Jose could've gotten the Olympics if it sought for it. The time, rotation and length of time U.S not hosting one would have ensured that San Jose would've had the Olympics. With so many cities dropping out, all SJ had to do is bid. That's it. It had 90% chance that it would come to San Jose. I knew it all along and was insisting that San Jose, not SF, put out a bid to host the Olympics. Instead, L.A bid for it and got it. San Jose blew it! It shows the city and its city officials still have inferiority http://media.istockphoto.com/photos/...s::nuts::nuts:
I think hosting the Olympics is a bigger deal than you are saying. SJ is far, far short of the facilities or funding needed to pull it off.
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:40 PM   #15082
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I think hosting the Olympics is a bigger deal than you are saying. SJ is far, far short of the facilities or funding needed to pull it off.
I think the San Francisco Bay Area in general would do a great job of hosting this. It would be just jolly good if the Olympic committee would stop playing politics with venue choices.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:20 PM   #15083
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
San Jose is a lot more prepared than LA: Levi's, Avaya and Stanford stadiums, along with Sap arena and Santa Clara international swimming center.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:23 PM   #15084
dirt patch

Olympic village can take over SJ campus village
Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:42 PM   #15085
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
San Jose is a lot more prepared than LA: Levi's, Avaya and Stanford stadiums, along with Sap arena and Santa Clara international swimming center.
okay, i'll bite even though this is way off topic for this thread. compare your list of south bay stadiums with:

indoor arenas - staples center, honda center, the forum, pauley pavillion (UCLA), the galen center (USC)

outdoor arenas - dodger stadium, angles stadium, the LA coliseum, the rose bowl, the new rams/chargers stadium, stub hub center (soccer and tennis), the new LAFC arena, USC swimming center, not to mention they can set up beach volleyball on an actual beach, and have suitable rowing venues as well.

kinda makes levi's, SAP, and stanford stadium look like chump change.

edit: campus village is in no way large enough to hold 20k athletes and trainers.
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:54 AM   #15086
dirt patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
okay, i'll bite even though this is way off topic for this thread. compare your list of south bay stadiums with:

indoor arenas - staples center, honda center, the forum, pauley pavillion (UCLA), the galen center (USC)

outdoor arenas - dodger stadium, angles stadium, the LA coliseum, the rose bowl, the new rams/chargers stadium, stub hub center (soccer and tennis), the new LAFC arena, USC swimming center, not to mention they can set up beach volleyball on an actual beach, and have suitable rowing venues as well.

kinda makes levi's, SAP, and stanford stadium look like chump change.

edit: campus village is in no way large enough to hold 20k athletes and trainers.
LA facilities are outdate: Coliseum, swimming center. What I listed are just some of the venues San Jose area has. It also has great transportation and infrastructure in place. Moffett Field can house 20,000 athletes. San Jose has more perfect weather in the summer than L.A. There's no better place to host and win the Olympic bid than SJ. It would've had over 90% chance of hosting it had SJ solicit.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:21 AM   #15087
loldawg

Likes (Received): 124

Penney bldg reno renders

Dont think I've seen renders for the Penney bldg on here before.

Anyone know when Blue Bottle is opening?

More at: http://www.liftrp.com/new-gallery/

Last edited by loldawg; August 3rd, 2017 at 01:23 AM. Reason: add source link
loldawg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:28 AM   #15088
gillynova

Likes (Received): 946

wow, honestly that would be a GREAT addition to downtown!

sjn liked this post
gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:30 AM   #15089
dirt patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by loldawg View Post

More like it: very good for downtown which is on a tear!
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:36 AM   #15090
dirt patch

Everything is great downtown with a lot of businesses and real estate thriving basically for years now. Sparq and affordable 2nd st. complexes breaking ground will do justice for downtown. Everything is rosy except for new high rises despite the market is very ripe for them. Look to Downtown SD: decent market, albeit weaker than Downtown SJ, but developers, mainly lenders, are super aggressive on putting up towers in that downtown. Note* UC campus/high rise residential, which is 34 story, just broke ground by Holland Partners. There's an all out high rise boom in Downtown SD to satisfy the market for all types of housing there. It's not the case here. They're too caution despite having way stronger market for all types of housing downtown.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:43 AM   #15091
dirt patch

to jumpstart high rise development downtown: hefty subsidies should be provided for at least 5 high rises that cover surface lots and gaps between buildings downtown along with very quick and easy approval/permit process that cuts corner and skip many lengthy steps. If it's already attractive design: let developers go ahead and build without any haggling. This is my suggestion.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:51 AM   #15092
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1423

Quote:

anyone else think of this when looking at that exterior? with that said, great addition to the corner and a huge improvement of the brick/glass facade. i really hope that roof deck is open to the public!
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:16 AM   #15093
Frostys

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:

I was upset that there wasn't a better development proposal for this corner, but honestly these rendering make me excited for it. That's a huge improvement over the current facade of the building. Also looks like it includes a very large public interior area.
Frostys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:02 AM   #15094
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 1023

Quote:

anyone else think of this when looking at that exterior? with that said, great addition to the corner and a huge improvement of the brick/glass facade. i really hope that roof deck is open to the public!
Yep. thought of that. I wonder if that is the actual mural though as they have shown other renderings with various murals.

No the roof deck will not be publicly accessible due to code issues.
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:31 AM   #15095
nxy

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkcity View Post

No the roof deck will not be publicly accessible due to code issues.
Huge bummer, that looks fantastic. Really wish we had a lot more roof decks/patios in SJ, even if its only for residents/employees.

bobby_guz_man liked this post
nxy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:38 AM   #15096
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxy View Post
Huge bummer, that looks fantastic. Really wish we had a lot more roof decks/patios in SJ, even if its only for residents/employees.
Every building should have a roof terrace. Our weather is too great too ignore. Sadly historic buildings have a lot of financial and spacial concerns to bring them up to code. At least we can advocate for every new building having a terrace and/or POPOS (Privately Owned Public Open Space) like San Francisco.

nxy, bobby_guz_man liked this post
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 10:35 AM   #15097
quadshock

Likes (Received): 646

Quote:

Looks great but you can peer in through the window right now and there's basically no work done as far as I could I please tell. I thought they were going to start working on the windows for a while but that stopped too

sjn liked this post
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:26 PM   #15098
SanJoseBorn

Likes (Received): 380

Agree with everyone here that the design for the Penney's building is a nice improvement for this street corner. Also (unfortunately), that the 1980's fašade paint scheme is an absolute travesty, if implemented. Let's hope cooler heads prevail in this regard. I suppose it's more interesting than the static/dull "tan" or "blue" theme that we see almost everywhere else, but this coloring scheme will be dated before you can blink an eye.

Last edited by SanJoseBorn; August 3rd, 2017 at 05:35 PM.
SanJoseBorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:42 PM   #15099
AMRivlin
Landscape Architect

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseBorn View Post
Agree with everyone here that the design for the Penney's building is a nice improvement for this street corner. Also (unfortunately), that the 1980's fašade paint scheme is an absolute travesty, if implemented. Let's hope cooler heads prevail in this regard. I suppose it's more interesting than the static/dull "tan" or "blue" theme that we see almost everywhere else, but this coloring scheme will be dated before you can blink an eye.
I dont disagree. But it is only paint. Paint can be redone.
AMRivlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 06:31 PM   #15100
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:

Sure let's paint everything in goofy-ass colors. World class!
(Searching in vain for real-live architects...)
Advertisement

Tags
san josÚ