Holiday Inn | Former Employment Exchange Site | Aytoun Street | 8 fl - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Completed Manchester Projects

Completed Manchester Projects Completed projects in the Greater Manchester area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #121
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 1055

It's still average, but miles better than the curvy version which just didn't fit Aytoun street.

Bet the Doubletree Hotel will be relieved when this goes up. Half their rooms currently look out onto the derelict Employment Exchange.

It'll bring a bit more life to the street too.
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #122
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 1517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzer88 View Post
I'd prefer to see the current building tarted up, I think.

The building to its right and the weird leisure-centre-esque extention to the court across from it however, are horrible!

I am not, as you say locally, mithered by the new plans. It fits in with it's neighbour to the side. It's location isn't begging for epic, just tidy.

Senor Twizzer. I disagree. Its time has gone for renovation, plus I guess there are a generation of Mancs say between 45 and 60 who endured the 80s and weekly signing ons, who will not fondly recall that building.

However.

Absolutely howled at your description of the " weird leisure centreesque extension." ah wished I'd thought of that one.

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; July 21st, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #123
neil

Likes (Received): 356

Car parts tycoon plans Piccadilly hotel
22nd July 2013

A COMPANY backed by Sukhpal Singh Ahluwalia, the entrepreneur who sold Euro Car Parts for £225m two years ago, is planning a 340-bed four star hotel at the derelict Employment Exchange in Manchester.

He is still with Euro Car Parts, which was bought by the Chicago-based LKQ Corporation, but has channelled some of his wealth into property interests through a Reading-based company called Dominvs Living.

According to Dominvs it has bought the Employment Exchange on Aytoun Street, pictured below, which has been on the market since 2010 following the collapse of Liverpool-based Albany Estates. It wanted to build a 44-storey tower with a mix of apartments and hotel rooms.

Dominvs plans to clear the site and put up a new building but a planning application has not yet been submitted. TheBusinessDesk.com understands the project will be its first development.

The company has already built up a portfolio of residential, commercial and industrial property assets, mainly around London, and it moved into hospitality in April with the acquisition of the Hotelier Group which operates hotels in Sheffield, Darlington and Dumfries under the Aston brand.

In a statement it said: "As part of a planned expansion of strategically located branded hotels in key UK cities, Dominvs Living have acquired a landmark site in Manchester City Centre for the development of a 340 Bedroom 4-Star hotel, restaurant and conference facilities."

It added: "This is an important and significant development and the hotel will become a vital element of the fast growing international attraction for Manchester and its increasing stature as a major European city."

Mr Ahluwalia's family fled Idi Amin's Uganda for the UK when he was 13. He built up Euro Car Parts from a small London parts shop he bought in 1978 for £5,000.

The hotel will sit behind Malmaison and next to the Doubletree by Hilton at Piccadilly Place. Construction is also due to start on a 330-bed Motel One on London Road and Yo Sushi! entrepreneur Simon Woodroffe last month submitted plans for a 258-bed hotel under the Yotel brand at 12-16 Piccadilly.

Two years ago a report by Albany's administrator Deloitte said a deal with an unnamed developer for the Employment Exchange had been agreed. Contracts were exchanged but the sale was subject to planning permission and nothing happened. The latest report, filed in April, said the buyer was in breach of the terms of the deal so the administrators were talking to "alternate parties" as well as the original bidder. Last September there was speculation that Intercontinental Hotels Group planned to open at Holiday Inn at the site.

What Manchester's done today London does tomorrow.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM   #124
neil

Likes (Received): 356

Sorry wrong thread

What Manchester's done today London does tomorrow.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:16 PM   #125
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 19297

Another article, this time from PNW.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...ange-site.html

Quote:
Hotel proposal for derelict Employment Exchange site
22 Jul 2013
Simon Donohue
The landmark site of the derelict Employment Exchange building in Aytoun Street, Manchester, has been acquired by Dominvs Living for the construction of a 340 bedroom 4-star hotel.

Dominvs is a property company backed by the family of entrepreneur Sukhpal Singh Ahluwalia, who sold Euro Car Parts for £225m in 2011.

The Manchester hotel is understood to be Dominvs Living's first property development.
The site previously belonged to Liverpool-based property development firm Albany Crown, which had planned to build an £80m, 44-storey tower designed by Manchester-based architect Ian Simpson. Plans included a hotel and a suite of offices.

However, Albany Crown was placed into administration with Deloitte in May 2010.
A statement on Dominvs Living's website reads: "As part of a planned expansion of strategically located branded hotels in key UK cities, Dominvs Living have acquired a landmark site in Manchester city centre for the development of a 340 bedroom 4-star hotel, restaurant and conference facilities.

"In a prime situation, the hotel will stand adjacent to Piccadilly Station, the main intercity rail and tram terminal and recently the subject of a £50m refurbishment. It is also planned to be the North West terminal for the new HS2 high speed train to London, Birmingham and Leeds.

"The hotel will occupy a prime position as part of the highly successful and recently completed 250,000 sq ft mixed use Piccadilly Regeneration Project which has now become a vibrant gateway to the city centre, highly regarded as the UK's second city, both in commercial terms and tourism attractions.

"This is an important and significant development and the hotel will become a vital element of the fast growing international attraction for Manchester and its increasing stature as a major European city."

The art deco former Employment Exchange is understood to have been designed in 1936 by David Thompson for the Office of Works, with work suspended until 1948 when E. H. Montegue Ebbs took over.

It is thought that the building opened in 1951.

No planning application has yet been submitted to Manchester City Council for the demolition of the former Employment Exchange building and development of a new hotel.
Andrew
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM   #126
roverman

Likes (Received): 227

Desperately dull

One dull and impoverished building, distinctive of its time to be replaced by another dull impoverished building, distinctive of its time. There is a net gain in usage of a long derelict site, but that is all. If we are to sweep away the past and rebuild the city, it has to be with genuinely 'stunning' quality buildings which inspire and delight. Manchester is still not confident enough to call the developers bluff by demanding quality or nothing. Provincial we remain, it seems.
roverman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:08 PM   #127
Green Squircle

Likes (Received): 29

With 340 4* bedrooms, I think this is more interesting that it first appears.

I'm pretty sure this will be the biggest full service business hotel in the city centre. Bigger than the current largest, MacDonald with 338 rooms and significantly bigger than major rivals:

The Midland - 312 rooms
Radisson, Peter St - 263
Hilton, Deansgate - 279
Palace - 275
Lowry - 165
Double Tree - 285
Jury's Inn - 265

OK The Britannia on Portland Street houses 363 guest bedrooms but I'd argue this is operating in a different market. Also Raddison Blu at the Airport is bigger (360 + 120 = 480 rooms once expansion is finished) but again operating in a slightly different market.

So while this may not set everyone's heart aflutter from a purely architectural standpoint, it is significant from an economic standpoint. Together with Yotel, Premier Inn Spinningfields, Blue Rainbow, MBS, Travel Lodge Piccadilly, Motel One, Hotel de la Tour Football Hotel etc I think this represents a real vote of confidence in the future of our city.

And long may it continue. Personally I'm looking forward to building work starting on SleeperZ, which has always struck me as a exciting use of a marginal but highly visible (non) plot. And hopefully this momentum will carry on through and inspire renewed action at Origin and LRFS.

moveupandon liked this post
Green Squircle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:14 AM   #128
tomegranate

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman View Post
it has to be with genuinely 'stunning' quality buildings which inspire and delight.
Really? That, or nothing at all? You must be constantly disappointed by reality.

I think getting a disused site back into use is nothing to be sniffed at, especially when you consider how many there are in Manchester.
tomegranate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #129
flange

Likes (Received): 4987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura4Matalan View Post
Fences have gone up today around the old employment exchange on Aytoun Street with construction signs on. Something happening there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post
Good spot Accura, that will presumably be the demolition crew about to start ready for the new hotel:

Thread here: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1462518&page=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post

A planning app hasn't even gone in yet. I would think Dominvs, the property group that owns the land will just be demolishing the building in readiness for a potential app.

Andrew
Quote:
Plans submitted for 308-bed hotel at Manchester Piccadilly

by James Stagg,

Friday 18th October 2013

Developer Dominvs Hospitality has submitted plans for a 308-bedroom, four-star hotel at its ex-employment exchange site in Manchester.

The hotel development will be part of the £50m Piccadilly Regeneration Project, a large mixed use site adjacent to Manchester’s Piccadilly station.

The hospitality group said that the hotel would include an “award winning restaurant” as well as conference facilities.

Dominvs Hospitality director Preet Ahluwalia said: “The appeal to restore and revive life to such a historical and topical site was far too appealing to overlook.

“We as a group moved into the hospitality sector in April of 2012 with the initial acquisition of the Hotelier Group, a collection of three hotels operating in the Sheffield, Darlington and Dumfries areas.”

The Manchester site is due to be launched to open in late 2015.
http://www.catererandhotelkeeper.co....piccadilly.htm

No planning application is online as of yet.
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM   #130
flange

Quote:
Plans submitted for Aytoun Street hotel

31 Oct 2013, 10:59

Developers Dominvs and McAleer & Rushe have submitted a planning application for a 308-bed hotel on the site of the derelict employment exchange in Piccadilly, Manchester.
The site is between Aytoun Street and the Rochdale Canal, to the rear of the Malmaison hotel. It is one of the city council's longest standing priority sites still remaining to be developed. The site is close to an important arrival point into the city centre at Manchester Piccadilly rail station.

Proposed hotel shown to rear left

Subject to planning consent, the developers say they will start on site in early 2014 and hope to be open by October 2015.

The employment exchange building would be demolished and replaced with the new hotel, designed by Urban Innovations in two blocks; one of six storeys and the other of eight storeys.

The planning application contains a letter from InterContinental Hotels Group supporting the plans and expressing interest in creating a Holiday Inn in the "first class location".

Harry Spawton, planning partner at Gerald Eve, advising the developers, said: "This is a key site in Manchester city centre, which has been vacant for nearly 20 years and is in desperate need of investment. These proposals have been developed following detailed pre-application discussions with the city council, Canal & River Trust and other key stakeholders, and the new hotel would bring a variety of benefits to this part of the city.

It is hoped that planning permission will be granted towards the end of the year, or very early next year, and our client intends to commence construction as soon as possible thereafter."

An earlier plan for a 44-storey residential tower on the site was granted planning permission in 2005 but was not implemented.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...eet-hotel.html
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:25 PM   #131
monkey_rat

Likes (Received): 1055

oooh that looks like a new design. A far better one in fact (from the tiny pictures at least).

AJD1984, GShutty, moveupandon liked this post
monkey_rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:49 PM   #132
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 1946

Interesting re-design from what we can see.
It looks vaguely reminiscent of a 1SPS that someone has squashed down.

I have high confidence that this will fly. McAleer and Rush are respected Northern Ireland developers and certainly have the capacity and track record to achieve this.
They are also the guys behind the proposed 14 storey hotel on the Salford side of the Irwell near to Salford Crescent Stn.
The only question I have in my mind is can they deliver both at the same time?
Either one on its own - no question. But both?
Good luck to them anyways.

GShutty, moveupandon liked this post
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:50 PM   #133
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 34206

Another St Peter's Square block by the looks of it.

In keeping with the 2010's Manchester architecture style
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:52 PM   #134
LongRipple

Likes (Received): 363

I hope they don’t produce anything like the Holiday Inn in Smithfield NQ with its cheap coloured plastic cladding bearing little reference to the heritage of the Conservation Zone, ugly workings of the lift shaft & night time strobe lighting as well as the sterile landscaping of the square.

From their website the architects have done a few hotels for the Jury’s Inn chain which aren’t always the best lookers or of the highest quality.

http://www.urbaninnovations.co.uk/hotels.htm

It is actually quite a large plot. For me, it would look better with a single building (which knits to the existing streetscape) rather than the two separate ones of differing heights proposed.

A bit of respect towards the Listed Malmaison Hotel, The Grand apartments and the Minshull St Crown Court Building wouldn’t go amiss as it appeared to do for the original design proposition.

Also they’d be missing a trick by not utilising the canalside potential for a bar or restaurant like The Premier Inn on Dale St did.

There does need to be an emphasis on improving security along the Rochdale Canal from here to Piccadilly Wharf and New Islington which opening up adjoining buildings to the canal could do.
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:19 PM   #135
GShutty

Likes (Received): 6217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Up View Post
........McAleer and Rush are respected Northern Ireland developers and certainly have the capacity and track record to achieve this.
They are also the guys behind the proposed 14 storey hotel on the Salford side of the Irwell near to Salford Crescent Stn.....
Do you have some inside info on this one Lookin Up? I thought this one (The rRiverside hotel to be adjacent to the Lowry Hotel right?) had all gone a bit quiet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRipple View Post
Also they’d be missing a trick by not utilising the canalside potential for a bar or restaurant like The Premier Inn on Dale St did.
I didn't realise you were a fan of this particular new-build LongRipple.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:08 PM   #136
moveupandon

Likes (Received): 889

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/north..._section=4150#

I like the new design so much more compared to the grey curvy mess previously! It was heartening they replied to my pestering email and were 'grateful for the feedback' I and others gave. So a revamped white design that gives a nod to the past and is so much nicer bright white, like a modern temple! Yes, quite samey, but the old EE was a wreck.

If only other developers listened to feedback at all and reconsidered designs. Not perfect but much, much better.

VDB liked this post

Last edited by moveupandon; November 2nd, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
moveupandon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:43 PM   #137
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 34206

Well done Adam for influencing a design change - I agree it looks much better.

Of course knowing what was proposed for the site before, I wish it was taller. But hey ho, this does look good. 14 stories is decent enough though.

Plus this style seems to be becoming the norm here in Manchester - and I think it looks good. In fact just 200 metres away from this site is Motel One which is being built with a similar style.

My only worry with this style of building - particulary the light colours used - is maintenance and cleaning. The Central Reference Library was cleaned only a decade ago and if you look at it now it looks terrible again with grey marks all over it from the city's pollution. I fear that this may happen to these new buildings - being lightly coloured it would be more noticeable and seeing as Central Library is the only light-coloured example of a building in Central Manchester up to now. Just something to keep an eye on I suppose.....

Here's a larger image of the proposal;

image hosted on flickr

... does anybody have a link to the Public Access planning portal / Design & Access Statement to see whether it contains higher resolution renders?
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:01 PM   #138
flange

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post

Of course knowing what was proposed for the site before, I wish it was taller. But hey ho, this does look good. 14 stories is decent enough though.

Plus this style seems to be becoming the norm here in Manchester - and I think it looks good. In fact just 200 metres away from this site is Motel One which is being built with a similar style.

My only worry with this style of building - particulary the light colours used - is maintenance and cleaning. The Central Reference Library was cleaned only a decade ago and if you look at it now it looks terrible again with grey marks all over it from the city's pollution. I fear that this may happen to these new buildings - being lightly coloured it would be more noticeable and seeing as Central Library is the only light-coloured example of a building in Central Manchester up to now. Just something to keep an eye on I suppose.....

image hosted on flickr

... does anybody have a link to the Public Access planning portal / Design & Access Statement to see whether it contains higher resolution renders?
There is still no planning application online for the site yet VDB, if there was it would be up on here as soon as possible.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM   #139
nq

[IMG]http://i40.************/25hof9x.jpg[/IMG]

VDB, moveupandon, flange liked this post
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 05:07 PM   #140
moveupandon

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post

image hosted on flickr

What a curtain tweaking busy body I am turning into!

But heartening to know some developers care and listen to public feedback. And polite replies. Double wow.

Waterside cafe's, balconies... so much better. And not grey! Tree's, green space on roof (on video) - excellent.

Shocked!

VDB liked this post

Last edited by moveupandon; November 2nd, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
moveupandon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: