Nairobi City Buses - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #1
KaiserSoze

Likes (Received): 679

Nairobi City Buses

I've always wondered how come the NCC doesn't consider the quality of city buses prowling the metro not part of it's general aesthetics....... If you travel within Africa and get to see some of the buses they have in some of these cities, it makes Nairobi look jua kali. Even Addis Ababa has better looking ones. Decades ago Kenya used to import European built city buses which were really well built and good looking e.g DAF etc (how they drove them is a whole different thread). Master Fabricators Ltd. (local entity) builds the bodies for KBS. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for promoting domestic industries, but their workmanship is seriously lacking. Incidentally, that firm also builds some really good looking country buses. It's a shame their coach building talent does not trickle down to the city vehicles. I'm not sure who builds for Citi Hoppa, but they must be local and on par with KBS.

For readers who haven't been to Kenya, this is what's plying the City Under The Sun roads.

Citi Hoppa:

KBS:
image hosted on flickr

The modern looking buses obviously costs more money, but they are better built and more reliable, not to mention how neat and modern the city would appear. The government can help the operators in the form of subsidies to purchase better equipment. What I'm proposing is nothing drastic, but sensible. For instance;

or

[img]http://www.*************/_cms/news/pics/foto_sys_Afbeeldingen_Afbeelding_915.jpg[/img]

Or even go out and get something more environment friendly like this hybrid;

What do you guys think?
KaiserSoze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #2
xJamaax
Mashallah

Likes (Received): 2970

It's a good idea because they may reduce congestion within the city center apart from giving the area a better public transportation look.

You also have to factor in the states of our roads that may hinder an implementation of these kind of buses. The low-floor ones cant be used in some neighborhoods because they just cant withstand the roads there.

Therefore a restructuring and renovation needs to be done before these buses are placed on the roads. It would really be nice to have them instead of the current Citi hopper-types of buses.
xJamaax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #3
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 2105

I have never heard of Nairobi having an efficient bus transit system..Then again I've never been to the city but i can't recount seeing much discussion on it here in the forum.

I think Lagos did a good job with its BRT system. Maybe Nairobi city gov't should send some officials to Lagos to see how it worked out there...
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Naijaborn

Likes (Received): 5236

or send some officials to Johannesburg, to look at their bus transit Ria Vaya system.
Naijaborn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #5
xJamaax
Mashallah

They used to have Kenya Bus Services (KBS) working well though I dont know if they were being run by a British company (Stagecoach) or not.They were in Mombasa too by the way.

Old December 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
xJamaax
Mashallah

Citaro busses are also good too.

A stretched version.

Last edited by xJamaax; December 11th, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
KaiserSoze

Likes (Received): 679

That's what Nairobi needs, especially the stretched version which would do wonders on the high volume routes during rush hour. Less congestion, reduced pollution and definitely less fuel usage. It's a win win situation.
KaiserSoze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
xJamaax
Mashallah

With good roads and special bus lanes including boarding stands, these buses will work more efficiently.
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Makelele

Likes (Received): 3

We just get rid of mats in the CBD or in Nai city in general period. A city of 3 million common NCC wake up.
Makelele no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #10
xJamaax
Mashallah

But phasing out matatus will also have a repercussion on jobs. I dont know how those thousands of operators will survive because operating professional bus service will also involve a bit of training and the new set up may not accommodate every of those operators to fill out the vacancies in the new service.
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #11
nyumbani

Likes (Received): 2

To be honest considering how long you have to bloody wait for some bus routes in inner city London. I find the fact that there's always a matatu available when when you need it a blessing. Though some organization and regulation wouldn't go amiss.
nyumbani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #12
xJamaax
Mashallah

^Most buses operate with a timetable, who is to blame?
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Makelele

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyumbani View Post
To be honest considering how long you have to bloody wait for some bus routes in inner city London. I find the fact that there's always a matatu available when when you need it a blessing. Though some organization and regulation wouldn't go amiss.
I totally agree mats are a minutes wait but being stuck in traffic and driving dangerously as they menader through by driving on pavements is not cool. And now boda bodas are joining in it makes a beautiful city lookturkey and disorganized. London is very organized despite the waiting time on the the BRTs. We need a mass transit system electical trains to solve trnsportion issues in Nai. Even if Ngong rd, Jogoo roadare opened to 4 lanes one way each that will not solve the problem. Take a look at Mombasa rd JKIA route it takes 2hrs to get to either destinations.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Makelele

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
I have never heard of Nairobi having an efficient bus transit system..Then again I've never been to the city but i can't recount seeing much discussion on it here in the forum.

I think Lagos did a good job with its BRT system. Maybe Nairobi city gov't should send some officials to Lagos to see how it worked out there...
Yes some of our city council goons need to visit Lagos so they can learn and borrow a leaf from them on how to run a BRT in a city of 25 million people. Nairobi is a city of 3 million and yet struggling. If we do not act now we are a ticking time bomb. Why is it in Nairobi we always wait for disaster before we begin solving this issues ahead of time. The mayor earns tons of money he should spearhead this kind of forum in order to make change. Look at Luanda, Maputo, Abuja, Joburg etc superb cities with efficient BRTs.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #15
Makelele

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJamaax View Post
^Most buses operate with a timetable, who is to blame?
Exactly Thank you, timing is key to everything in Brts
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #16
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makelele View Post
Yes some of our city council goons need to visit Lagos so they can learn and borrow a leaf from them on how to run a BRT in a city of 25 million people. Nairobi is a city of 3 million and yet struggling. If we do not act now we are a ticking time bomb. Why is it in Nairobi we always wait for disaster before we begin solving this issues ahead of time. The mayor earns tons of money he should spearhead this kind of forum in order to make change. Look at Luanda, Maputo, Abuja, Joburg etc superb cities with efficient BRTs.
Yep Nairobi should sort out its transportation issue before its gets bigger. I don't even know what the city's population is. I've read 3 million, 3.3 million, 3.5 million and all the way up to 4 million. Not including reading the population jumping over 50%-60% by 2020. So Nairobi 9 years from now may be somewhere between 4.5 - 6.4 million (if pop. is at 4 million now)....I don't even think that includes the entire metro region, just the city. Imagine the traffic then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naijaborn View Post
or send some officials to Johannesburg, to look at their bus transit Ria Vaya system.
or to both cities. the more the merrier.
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #17
JARIBU

Likes (Received): 632

Nairobi has had a fairly efficient mass transit, but that was in the 1970s. It's been downhill ever since.
Quote:

JARIBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #18
JARIBU

Likes (Received): 632

You have surpriseds me with the recommendation of the Lagos BRT. Is there really anything that runs efficiently in Lagos, much less the entire country of Nigeria? All I ever hear from my Nigerian buddies is how chaotic Lagos is and many dread going through it.

Quote:

JARIBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #19
Amboseli Daima

Likes (Received): 858

Much of Nairobi's transport problems emanate from having everything important downtown and the jobs that go with it.There's also a problem of all roads leading to downtown which is being corrected painfully slowly.

Looked at in a different way the transport issue is really only half the problem.Its more of a design or layout issue which manifests itself in the transport sector.
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #20
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARIBU View Post
You have surpriseds me with the recommendation of the Lagos BRT. Is there really anything that runs efficiently in Lagos, much less the entire country of Nigeria? All I ever hear from my Nigerian buddies is how chaotic Lagos is and many dread going through it.
Considering how it has 220 buses, 26 bus shelters (mini-terminals basically) and carriers over 200,000 people a day (over 50 million in first year), AND has its own bus lane to move efficiently I'd say it's a success.
Advertisement