TOKYO - National Olympic Stadium (68,000) - 2020 Olympics - Page 37 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2019, 03:26 PM   #721
raihanaulia
Resident Image-corrector

Likes (Received): 1624

sorry to disappoint, but...

Avatar yang ada di kiri post ini itu bagian dari sticker LINE kita lho!

Download yuk!

https://line.me/S/sticker/3243834

Atlantropa, DiogoBaptista liked this post
raihanaulia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2019, 05:20 PM   #722
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 24215

https://twitter.com/trilavier
RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 06:14 PM   #723
rmsg

Likes (Received): 4

It's an outstanding stadium. Very elegant.

Ioannes_ liked this post
rmsg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2019, 06:41 PM   #724
tomek1187

Likes (Received): 111

What I love about it, that it fits well with the city around, it's not an alien.

Lumbergo, neander, kamehameha, DJaCoNdA liked this post
tomek1187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #725
Titan Man

Likes (Received): 1525

This is the future of architecture! Sustainable as much as it's elegant, modest, but also beautiful and contemporary. So glad we got this over a huge literal white elephant.
Old November 9th, 2019, 02:49 AM   #726
Ygeezy

Likes (Received): 2

reminds me of the camp nou expansion / remodel. elegant af
Ygeezy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 03:52 AM   #727
raihanaulia
Resident Image-corrector

Likes (Received): 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek1187 View Post
What I love about it, that it fits well with the city around, it's not an alien.
I second this. I'm very happy they rejected that ugly coochie stadium design. This fits perfectly into the surroundings, not disrupting the harmony of Japanese typical skyline.

Avatar yang ada di kiri post ini itu bagian dari sticker LINE kita lho!

Download yuk!

https://line.me/S/sticker/3243834

DarkLite liked this post
raihanaulia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 02:21 AM   #728
ArrowHead30
Pinoy Winnipeger

Likes (Received): 164

One last update for everyone before its completion:

https://www.jpnsport.go.jp/newstadiu..._siryou_01.pdf

I love the landscaping around the stadium; they even added some water features that I wasn't expecting.

According from the schedule, target completion date is November with the opening on January 1st. Overall, I am quite impressed with what they had in mind and I was more than happy that they didn't go with Zaha Hadid's design.

Jaime Lerner
ArrowHead30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 02:54 AM   #729
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 983

It's japanese architectural style. Simple but bold.

slayerhk47, FRANHMEZ, Juan121 liked this post
CaliforniaJones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 07:14 PM   #730
pesto

Likes (Received): 4148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
This is the future of architecture! Sustainable as much as it's elegant, modest, but also beautiful and contemporary. So glad we got this over a huge literal white elephant.
I would call it nice; prim and proper; perfectly OK; not offensive. A solid addition to Tokyo or any city.

But It's a pretty bleak future a-comin' if that's it. As Philip Johnson said, architecture is about tears, about being moved deeply. I don't see that here.

You don't have to do the juvenile excesses of Hadid to be great, but at least show me your excited about being alive.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 08:46 PM   #731
Ioannes_

Likes (Received): 267

I'm glad that Olympism regains the iconic Olympic stadiums that we lost after Beijing. In the end, I really like this stadium. Congratulations.
Ioannes_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 04:30 PM   #732
penwick

Likes (Received): 24

looks weak
penwick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 08:34 PM   #733
cavalier

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I would call it nice; prim and proper; perfectly OK; not offensive. A solid addition to Tokyo or any city.

But It's a pretty bleak future a-comin' if that's it. As Philip Johnson said, architecture is about tears, about being moved deeply. I don't see that here.

You don't have to do the juvenile excesses of Hadid to be great, but at least show me your excited about being alive.
Bear in mind we're judging pictures here (I'm assuming you haven't seen it on site. If you did, ignore me). The experience of Architecture/Landscape in person is pretty dinamic. The perception of scale and the succession of angles and spaces in the way may change your mind completely (it also may not, who knows).
Anyway, I do think this stadium and its sorroundings have the potencial to provide a 'deeply moving' experience, maybe just not in the way most people would anticipate. It seems like we need to be overstimulated and euphoric all the time to 'feel excited about living'. If done right, the japanese way can make us calm the f*** down and appreciate things slowly.

Just wish I had the time and money to visit.
"Filho de um oficial cuja carreira em Petersburgo em vários ministérios e departamentos era daquelas que conduzem as pessoas a postos dos quais, em razão de seu longo tempo de serviço e da posição alcançada, não podem ser demitidas - embora seja óbvio que não possuem o menor talento para qualquer tarefa útil -, pessoas para as quais cargos são especialmente criados, os quais, embora fictícios, pagam salários que nada têm de fictícios e dos quais eles continuam vivendo o resto da vida."
- A morte de Ivan Ilitch (TOLSTÓI, 1886, p.19)

Ioannes_, DarkLite, Haru_31, caesarq, ukiyo liked this post
cavalier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:45 AM   #734
ArrowHead30
Pinoy Winnipeger

Likes (Received): 164

I was quite skeptical about this new project when they started building the stadium against Zaha Hadid's original plans for that "parametric" stadium. Seeing it on photos was actually quite different from actually being on site. I was thinking about how Zaha's design might end up through the context of the park it contains with and the structures that are closeby like Fumihiko Maki's Metropolitan Gymnasium. Yeah, the original design looks nice and like an aerodynamic bike helmet from the renders, but if you think about it by walking through the site, all you'd get is a grey, bleak looking stadium that makes users feel like they haven't had a break walking through Tokyo's literal concrete jungle.

Visiting the stadium site in September of 2018 changed my mind quite a bit and I actually developed a liking for this development. The use of wood and landscaping throughout the stadium just makes it more comfortable to walk through and you feel a sense of relief from Tokyo's grind. If this was Zaha's design I would have just spent 15 minutes looking at it and thinking about "oh, that's a funky looking stadium". This stadium made me stay there for 2 hours because I can actually feel like it's a nicer place to take a break before moving back and exploring the city. From the Metropolitan Gymnasium (and from the station entrance at Sendagaya), it feels like a nicer transition from a concrete looking city to the park that just behind the stadium.

Jaime Lerner

Last edited by ArrowHead30; November 18th, 2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: sorry not October 2019 but September 2018.
ArrowHead30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 07:31 AM   #735
pesto

Likes (Received): 4148

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
Bear in mind we're judging pictures here (I'm assuming you haven't seen it on site. If you did, ignore me). The experience of Architecture/Landscape in person is pretty dinamic. The perception of scale and the succession of angles and spaces in the way may change your mind completely (it also may not, who knows).
Anyway, I do think this stadium and its sorroundings have the potencial to provide a 'deeply moving' experience, maybe just not in the way most people would anticipate. It seems like we need to be overstimulated and euphoric all the time to 'feel excited about living'. If done right, the japanese way can make us calm the f*** down and appreciate things slowly.

Just wish I had the time and money to visit.
Agree completely. For sure, I am only commenting on what is lying flat on my screen and the real story is in three spatial and one temporal dimension.

Here's hoping that it's dynamic, exciting and awe-inspiring in person.

As for being over-stimulated by architecture, that is hardly the world's problem. Boring, half-assed, cheap and cookie-cutter outnumber interesting 1000 to one and brilliant 10M to one.

More generally, don't confuse being alive with being sedated and half-dead all the time. And don't adhere to a philosophy that glorifies denial and obedience to the wisdom of those who rule over you. Cry when you have to and dance naked in the moonlight as often as you can.

Last edited by pesto; November 15th, 2019 at 07:47 AM.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 11:15 PM   #736
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 93945

The construction of the stadium will officially be completed on November 30th.

https://www.shibukei.com/headline/14622/

Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2019, 09:09 AM   #737
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 5136

But being alive can also be about having peace, which is what those halls inspire me, the show is inside and so there people can scream and shout as much as they feel like.

I love this place.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 03:39 AM   #738
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
The construction of the stadium will officially be completed on November 30th.

https://www.shibukei.com/headline/14622/

What will be the first event?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 12:45 PM   #739
Master011

Likes (Received): 144

EPA001, Ioannes_, will101 liked this post
Master011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 03:47 PM   #740
Ioannes_

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master011 View Post

the old cauldron should have more prominence, not be a simple nondescript element of a garden. The center of a square, with a spiral climb and light a fire during the 2020 Olympics.

postscript:
they tell me privately that they are copies of the Japanese cauldrons with Saporo and Nagano, but I still think that the one in 1964 should have a certain role in 2020.

Last edited by Ioannes_; November 30th, 2019 at 03:54 PM.
Ioannes_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
olympics, tokyo