BART: Bay Area Rapid Transit - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:23 PM   #281
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLRISE View Post
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/0...til-next-year/

I wonder if the same thing will happen to Milpitas & Berryessa BART in terms of the lag time from the original opening projections.
i remember reading somewhere that the tunnel under lake elizabeth is leaking, i have no confirmation of this though. but if that's really the reason for the delayed opening, then it shouldn't affect the scc extension. don't be surprised if it's delayed for other reasons though.
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #282
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 2358

Seems like Berryessa BART station will open slightly ahead of time (Nov or Dec 2017 vs early 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSsmOCELeQU

Xynoplas liked this post
cardinal2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #283
usedmedia

Likes (Received): 115

According to BART's website, the Warm Springs extension is scheduled to open "Winter 2017".

http://www.bart.gov/about/projects/wsx

I find this wording kind of vague, as it could refer to January or February of next year, or it could possibly mean next winter. Either way, the extension is now well over two years late!
usedmedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #284
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 857

We could hope they meant this winter which starts next week on Dic 21nd/2016 and ends on March 20th/2017.
But I'm sure the mean the next winter at the end of 2017.
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #285
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 12065

Winter 2017 would actually be more like Winter 2016-17 since most of Winter happens the following year. So fingers crossed.

Pittsburg • Piedmont • Petaluma • Palo Alto • Pacifica • Orinda • Oakley
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #286
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 137

Their site says that they are about to beging "Pre-revenue Operations" so actual operations are probably right around the corner.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Xynoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #287
usedmedia

Likes (Received): 115

BART has been promising an extension. Where is it?

BART has been promising an extension. Where is it?

Quote:
It’s going to be at least three more months — and possibly longer — before the long-overdue BART extension to Warm Springs in south Fremont is up and running.

“I wish I could say that I had a crystal ball and could guarantee when we will be done, but I don’t,” said project spokeswoman Molly McArthur.

The 5.4-mile extension south from the Fremont Station has been snakebit of late. A lack of funding pushed the opening date for the $890 million extension back to late 2015. Then there was talk it would be open in time for this past November’s election, when voters in three counties were deciding on a big BART bond measure. The measure passed. Still no trains.

Construction began eight long years ago and was proceeding nicely until crews stumbled onto a big problem — BART’s aging power lines, needed to give the line juice, were crumbling.
Full article:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...t-10864028.php
usedmedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #288
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Now it's becoming more like, when will Warm Springs ever open? Fremont is doing fine still, but with that extension being delayed, it seems that it could affect the opening date/s for Milpitas and Berryessa stations further down the line.

Old January 18th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #289
cardinal2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Now it's becoming more like, when will Warm Springs ever open? Fremont is doing fine still, but with that extension being delayed, it seems that it could affect the opening date/s for Milpitas and Berryessa stations further down the line.
Yeah, at this point the article is hinting that it will be past April for Warm Springs to open. VTA was supposedly saying November for Berryessa extension, more delays and it would seem like Berryessa can't open until later. As the track section is necessary for the trains to get from San Jose to Fremont or beyond.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:12 PM   #290
Dirk_Birkin

- dmca
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #291
cardinal2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
the twin bore vs. single bore option is going to come down to feasibility. the single bore is a better option, but will have to be dug deeper than the twin bore. with the high water table, this could generate significant construction delays that result in ballooning cost for the project. i'd rather not be reading about another tunneling machine stuck in the mud under san jose a year into the project. hopefully the engineers can find a solution to the water that will work along the whole route.

i'm not sure why station options are even being discussed. there are clear advantages to both the north diridon and west downtown stations. if VTA really wants people to transfer from light rail to bart and vise versa, they will choose those options. the west downtown station at the mitchell block will also significantly increase the land value for resale after construction is finished. that block alone could support north of 20K jobs if it's built out to full potential.
It seems to me that the South Diridon option actually facilitates faster transfers from BART to Caltrain or BART to VTA since the entrances and exits are closer. I think though they should allow people to transfer to Caltrain without coming out to the surface.

nxy liked this post
Old January 24th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #292
Dirk_Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
It seems to me that the South Diridon option actually facilitates faster transfers from BART to Caltrain or BART to VTA since the entrances and exits are closer. I think though they should allow people to transfer to Caltrain without coming out to the surface.
the west entrance on the south diridon option surfaces directly through the existing light rail tunnel under the bus transit center. that structure isn't shown on any of the SEIR's hillrise linked to in the previous post, and i don't remember it being mentioned in any of the other planning docs i've seen. did vta forget the tunnel is there? i can't imagine re-routing the existing tunnel is an option. the only southern option that doesn't disturb the current tunnel is a single bore with a pedestrian tunnel at the western entrance moved further north or south. if they moved it south, that direct connection to the caltrain tunnel becomes an option....about 40' above the bart platform.
Old January 24th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #293
cardinal2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
the west entrance on the south diridon option surfaces directly through the existing light rail tunnel under the bus transit center. that structure isn't shown on any of the SEIR's hillrise linked to in the previous post, and i don't remember it being mentioned in any of the other planning docs i've seen. did vta forget the tunnel is there? i can't imagine re-routing the existing tunnel is an option. the only southern option that doesn't disturb the current tunnel is a single bore with a pedestrian tunnel at the western entrance moved further north or south. if they moved it south, that direct connection to the caltrain tunnel becomes an option....about 40' above the bart platform.
Do you have a map for this, because the satellite imagery from 14 years ago suggests otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/6hJ2OIM.png
http://i.imgur.com/BHV90Vy.png
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #294
Dirk_Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Do you have a map for this, because the satellite imagery from 14 years ago suggests otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/6hJ2OIM.png
http://i.imgur.com/BHV90Vy.png
i hadn't seen the map from 14 years ago, but overlay those images and they prove my point, the existing tunnel is in direct conflict with the south diridon west entrance point. that whole purple area in the first link will be excavated, not just the tiny area where the escalators penetrate the surface.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:54 PM   #295
DarkEconomist

Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLRISE View Post
My perspective is that both options fail to maximize ridership and accessibility to developable parcels (ie, access to future jobs).
DarkEconomist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #296
cardinal2007

BART has plenty of staffers at station with no trains or riders

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/m...o-10926575.php

Quote:
BART has plenty of staffers at station with no trains or riders
For the past five months, BART has been staffing its yet-to-open Warm Springs Station full time with five $73,609-a-year station agents and an $89,806-a-year train dispatch supervisor — even though no trains will be running there for at least another two months.

Two janitors are also assigned to the empty station. But because it’s pretty clean — what with nobody using it — the custodians typically clock in, then commute in a BART sedan to other stations along the line to finish out their shifts.

It’s the latest twist in the saga of Warm Springs, the station at the southern end of a 5.4-mile extension in Fremont that has been delayed for years by financing and construction issues.

Last year, BART thought it was in the home stretch and penciled in the line to open in November 2016.

Old March 10th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #297
gillynova

Likes (Received): 946

FINALLY Warm Springs BART is opening

https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2017/news20170310
gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #298
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
FINALLY Warm Springs BART is opening

https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2017/news20170310
As far as I can tell, there still isn't very much development around it. If there is, I'd like to see it!
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:49 AM   #299
gillynova

Likes (Received): 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
As far as I can tell, there still isn't very much development around it. If there is, I'd like to see it!
There is, I drove by last month. There's a whole lot of new housing units accross and street and next to 680.

Xynoplas liked this post
gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #300
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
I posted it on a different thread...

Read here for more details

On the same thread, I also posted pics of the new BART trains. Feel free to share your comments on them here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bart, rail, san francisco, subway, transit