West Japan.Hagi City.Day 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真

Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真 Pictures & Video of Japan / 都市の景観・自然 写真とビデオ

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 66

West Japan.Hagi City.Day 2

Welcome to day 2 of my tour in West Japan.

Hop on the back of the skywave for another leasurely ride down the coast and into the historical feudal city of Hagi.

ALL CAPTIONS WILL READ FROM UNDER THE PHOTO

The same map as I posted for the Day 1 pictures in Matsue.Indicated in orange was the route taken for day two.

Up nice and early for the a short 100km ride down the coast to Hagi city.It was a beautiful day for riding and viewing some of the best coastline on the Japan sea.

It was so clear,I swear I could see North Korea in the distance

Even the skywave was enjoying the view with its back seat rasied(another bad joke.Heheheh).This picture was taken an hour down the coast from where I started.About 30km from Hagi.

Welcome to Hagi.This city played a very important role in the Meji restoration during the 1860s,a period of rapid change that took Japan from the feudal Edo era,into the industrial age.Some of the most influential people of the time came from this city and helped topple the Shogan and restore the modern and forward looking Meji Emperor to the throne in Tokyo(Edo).

Ironicly,much of this city has retained its feudal past.The castle was ordered by the government to be destroyed under the 'One castle.One Government' policy in the 1870s.The photo above shows where the castle once stood.

An aerial picture of the city.Obviously not taken by me.The Skywave doesnt fly...........Yet.

Here is a close up of the remaining moat area.

Within the grounds of the castle ruins,some of the original gardens remain

Another view of the moat walls.

Hagi is a coastal city located on the banks of a river delta with a population of only 50,000.

The residential streets in Hagi date back to the 1600s.The early Edo period.This area was originally where the Samurai's used to live.Here is a modern day one(known as a 'Salaryman') on his way home now to sharpen his sword for some head chopping on the weekend.

Closer to the center of town.Some tourist's enjoying a bit of sightseeing around the Pottery district.

There were hundreds of streets,taking you back to another time in Japanese history.And some of them were pretty crowded full of tourist's reminding you,with all their gagets and toys,what century you're living in.

On the other hand,plenty of streets were quiet and peaceful.

EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION TO THE TOUR GUIDE!!!!!!!!!

Pottery is one of Hagi's most well known industries.

Many pottery shops line the age old streets.

School gang violence is a serious problem in Hagi.I was almost beaten up by these kids.Luckly I paid them protection money

Alot of the streets were lined by small water channels.Typical of Edo city design.Here is one such example with some of the city wildlife going for an afternoon swim.

One of the most famous shirnes in Hagi.Much like many shrines but with one notable exception.The symbol on this occasion was tilted on an angle.Strange.Obviously this was done hunderds of years before an infamous 20th Century dictator decided to hijack it for his own purposes.

The Temple and Shrine areas of the city were just spectacular.Out of this world.Here is one of the typical perdestrian areas.

Another impressive day's touring on the skywave.The sun is setting.Time to head back to the hotel for some beer and some of the local food.

Thankyou for sitting back and enjoying the ride

Brought to you by the Suzuki Skywave AN400.

Ride your dreams.

Last edited by Nick; December 14th, 2004 at 06:38 PM.
Nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #2
NegaSado
Needs more Tokyo!

Likes (Received): 46

Brilliant...

Ive been coming back to these forums just to see your posts, Nick. I'm a silent admirer of yours! And since you 'teamed up' with Vapour, the cool pictures of Japan keep flooding in!
NegaSado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #3
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Cheers.

Vapour has alot of good Tokyo pictures to share.I post all my tours here for the benifit of all.I'm on a misson to edcucate as many people as I can on some of the wonderful places you can see in Japan.
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #4
Mercury

Likes (Received): 4

breathtaking Nick!!! as always your tours are the best of this forum.....
Mercury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #5
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Cheers Mercury.

I dont know if they are the best.But I certainly enjoy taking them
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #6
demanjo

Likes (Received): 0

They're tops nick...
You've inspired another Aussie to visit Japan in the coming months...
demanjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #7
Renkinjutsushi

Likes (Received): 3

Thanks for the pictures Nick.....more reasons for me to go to Japan.
Renkinjutsushi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #8
Urban Girl

Likes (Received): 2

very naturel and beatiful
Urban Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Jose Luis
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 51

I LOVE JAPAN, SO TRADITIONAL SO BEAUTIFUL AND FULL OF LIFE.
GREAT PICTURES BTW
Jose Luis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: