MBS Redevelopment - Hotel & Executive Education Centre | Manchester University | 60m | 19 fl | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 45856

MBS Redevelopment - Hotel & Executive Education Centre | Manchester University | 60m | 19 fl | U/C

For those unsure about the height, it will be roughly the same height as City lofts at Salford Quays, or twice the height of the current Manchester University's Business School.

Quote:
101614/FO/2013/C1 | 19 storey hotel (with plant level above) to provide 234 hotel bedrooms and 100 suites above above 3 storeys of ancillary hotel accommodation (including restaurant and breakfast zone, bar, offices, gym and conference facilities), 2 storey Executive Education teaching space associated with Manchester Business School, associated highway works including hotel drop-off and servicing facilities, surface car parking for 15 vehicles; and associated landscaping | Land On North Western Edge Of The University Of Manchester Campus, Bounded By Booth Street West, Higher Cambridge Street, University Of Manchester Business School & Multi-storey Car Park Manchester M15 6PB
Docs aren't up yet.

Quote:
Reference:
101614/FO/2013/C1

Alternative Reference:

Application Received:
11 Feb 2013

Address:
Land On North Western Edge Of The University Of Manchester Campus, Bounded By Booth Street West, Higher Cambridge Street, University Of Manchester Business School & Multi-storey Car Park Manchester M15 6PB

Proposal:
19 storey hotel (with plant level above) to provide 234 hotel bedrooms and 100 suites above above 3 storeys of ancillary hotel accommodation (including restaurant and breakfast zone, bar, offices, gym and conference facilities), 2 storey Executive Education teaching space associated with Manchester Business School, associated highway works including hotel drop-off and servicing facilities, surface car parking for 15 vehicles; and associated landscaping

Application Pending Consideration

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=MI290SBC06N00
[/QUOTE]

This was the an earlier proposal/render released by Bruntwood.

Quote:
Bruntwood picked to deliver £60m MBS upgrade

31st October 2011

By Mike Fahy - Assistant Editor

DEVELOPER Bruntwood has been confirmed as development partner for a £60m project to upgrade Manchester University's Business School.

The plans, which were first revealed by TheBusinessDesk.com in March, involve the construction of a new, external hotel and conference centre, replacing the one currently within the business school building.

A new executive education centre will also be built, while new teaching and administrative space will also be delivered.

The design by Manchester-based architect BDP, involves the removal of the footbridge currently above Oxford Road at its junction with Both Street and the replacement of the University Precinct shopping centre.

The project will be delivered in several phases, with construction scheduled to begin on the first phase next year - the new hotel and conference centre.

Professor Michael Luger, Dean of Manchester Business School, said: “We are delighted to be working with Bruntwood on what will be a flagship investment for the city of Manchester.

"It’s our aim that the new Manchester Business School will become a landmark gateway to Corridor Manchester, at the heart of the city’s knowledge-led economy.

"Our ethos is about applying original thinking to make positive change and the new building, funded in part through pledges in excess of £2m from alumni of the School and local philanthropists, echoes this philosophy – both in its design and function.

“As we move towards our goal of becoming a truly world-class business school the hotel and conference centre will provide an excellent base from which to explore Manchester and it will play a key role in attracting inward development to the city.”

Colin Sinclair, director of special projects at Bruntwood, said: "Bruntwood is delighted to have been chosen to redevelop Manchester Business School and is looking forward to working with the University of Manchester and MBS to deliver a world class facility at the very heart of The Corridor".
The location of the proposal.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

PS.

Found the biatch. Boom! Oh yes.

Click on the link for more renders and info.

Quote:
Welcome

Proposed view of the redevelopment on Booth Street West.

The University of Manchester, in partnership with Bruntwood, is planning a multi-million pound redevelopment of Manchester Business School’s campus on Booth Street West and Oxford Road.
This exciting scheme will provide Manchester Business School (MBS) with the facilities it needs to retain its position as a world-leading research and teaching institution. The plans include the refurbishment of MBS’s existing buildings as well as the construction of state-of-the-art new facilities that will provide a landmark development within the Oxford Road regeneration area.

This website provides further information about the partnership between the University of Manchester and Bruntwood and the latest on their plans for the MBS scheme. http://www.mbs-redevelopment.co.uk/
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Twizzer88

Likes (Received): 883

The horrid shopping precinct is going. Good stuff, poor Blackwells and the other shops there have suffered in darkness for long enough!

Last edited by Twizzer88; February 23rd, 2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: sp
Twizzer88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 11686

I thought the precinct was to be remodelled rather than demolished.

Don't understand why a University needs to build a hotel but then I couldn't be bothered to read the article in full, just happy at a 19 storey building here!
Slow Burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
jrb
10th February 2008

Taken from the PDF info.(forgot to add to the original post)

VDB, AJD1984 liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #5
kids

Likes (Received): 176

Cheers jrbl, hotel looks good. Hopefully it'll lift the redevelopment of the rest of Booth St. W.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 4574

I didn't realise the precinct was going. It's not been successful recently, but there still needs to be a space for independent retail next to the university.
Cherguevara está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2423

Nice
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:46 PM   #8
jrb
10th February 2008

The top floors of the Hotel will give a great vantage point for taking pictures of the Manchester skyline. Hopefully that will eventually include River Street.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:54 PM   #9
kids

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzer88 View Post
The horrid shopping precinct is going. Good stuff, poor Blackwells and the other sops there have suffered in darkness for long enough!
I guess the shops are pretty dingy but I've always found it a reasonably pleasant place to have lunch, I'll miss it in a way.

I won't miss having to traverse the steps on the ramp from Oxford Rd which have got to be among the worst in the city.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:07 PM   #10
js1000

Likes (Received): 2212

Quote:
Look good to me. Can't be any worse that what Wilson and Womersley concocted in the 1970s. I'm guessing (judging from the renders) that the bridge will be taken down as well.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #11
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2423

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
Look good to me. Can't be any worse that what Wilson and Womersley concocted in the 1970s. I'm guessing (judging from the renders) that the bridge will be taken down as well.
Wilson and Wamersley where also responsible for the Arndale and the Hulme crescents.

Can't blame them for experimenting in a rapidly changing world but i'm glad that many of their schemes no longer exist in their original form.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:32 PM   #12
js1000

Likes (Received): 2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by future.architect View Post
Wilson and Wamersley where also responsible for the Arndale and the Hulme crescents.

Can't blame them for experimenting in a rapidly changing world but i'm glad that many of their schemes no longer exist in their original form.
Indeed. The Hulme Crescents were bad. Likewise the flats at Ardwick. I could go on about those social housing developments (Park Hill too) for hours so let's not dwell.

Still can't get rid of those toilet tiles on the Arndale though eh? *sigh*
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:13 PM   #13
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 720

Thanks Jrb should be good.

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #14
Maxants

Likes (Received): 763

Noooo! I think I'm the only one who will mourn the loss of the precinct, when I first came to MCR it really struck out as being one the areas that made me feel like I was in a really big city (MCR is the 1st outside of London (in the UK) where I've had that feeling), I think its the walkway or something. I also dont like all the trees they'll loose, its a tad depressing, but the shops are sh!t - ditch them, but I wish they would leave the walkway so it still has a big city buzz!

- just been there on google maps, I wish they would just leave it as it is, I really like that area loads, shame they cant build the hotel and 2story MBS somewhere in the city that really needs it...

Last edited by Maxants; February 22nd, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Maxants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #15
jomiketo

Likes (Received): 0

Bruntwood will be getting all the ground floor retail as part of the deal, so expect to see Tesco Metro, Phillpotts et al to the new Oxford Road elevation.

Hotel will be IHG Crowne Plaza (floors 1-10) and Staybridge long stay to upper floors. Existing university accommodation rooms to Booth Street will become academic offices.
jomiketo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM   #16
flange

Likes (Received): 4735

Quote:
The 16 storey four star hotel would provide high-quality accommodation for MBS’s overseas and executive education visitors and add to the high-end hotel offer in this part of Manchester. Crowne Plaza would occupy the first 10 floors of the hotel and Staybridge Suites would occupy the top 6 floors, with a shared reception, bar and restaurant on the ground floor.

http://www.mbs-redevelopment.co.uk/i...tioncentre.pdf
Quote:
Timescales

The MBS redevelopment scheme is proposed to be brought forward in two phases:

Phase 1 would see the construction of the Executive Education Centre and hotel. A planning application is expected in February 2013 and, should planning permission be obtained, construction would start in summer 2013 with completion in early 2015.

Phase 2 would see the wider refurbishment of the existing MBS buildings and the improvements to the public realm. A planning application for this phase of work is expected in April 2013 and should planning permission be obtained, the works would begin in spring 2014 with completion in late 2017.
http://www.mbs-redevelopment.co.uk/timescales.html
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Farsight

Likes (Received): 1011

Good stuff, thanks jrb. What's nice is that this isn't one of those speculative schemes that falls at the first financial hurdle.

Shame it ain't a bit taller, eh?
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #18
JackoGunnerGoCrazy
PoliticoJack

Likes (Received): 175

Hopefully we'll get something tall on the old BBC site slightly further down. Taller buildings like this will help expand the city center vibe further up Oxford road - attract more non uni people into the shops as well. Good news.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #19
jrb
10th February 2008

Docs are up.

Looks good.

Plenty of new renders in the Design and Access statement http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...4-dsx-0001.pdf

Rest of the docs here. http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...614/FO/2013/C1

js1000, man med liked this post
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #20
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 33383

It'll be 20 floors, not just 19

VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread