Newlands Cross Upgrade - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure For projects and construction across the island of Ireland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 159 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
kreator1984
creative creator

Likes (Received): 184

Newlands Cross Upgrade

N7 - Newlands Cross Upgrade

Newlands Cross Location

Layout

Architects drawings

Scheme
The scheme involves the construction of an interchange at the existing junction between the N7 Naas Road and the R113 Fonthill/Belgard Road at Newlands Cross.
The design is aimed at creating a totally free-flow junction along the stretch of road, which also includes the Red Cow Roundabout.
However, in a move that Dublin Mid-West Senator Frances Fitzgerald (FG) says will have "enormous repercussions for the area", the plans have been put on long-term hold. Funding for the project was cut as part of the Department of Transport's revised budget in October, but it was hoped that Newlands Cross could be prioritised by the National Roads Authority (NRA).
It was said that because of its close proximity to the Red Cow interchange, the junction should be developed as soon as possible.
However, a spokesperson for the NRA has now confirmed that it is "postponed indefinitely" and no special arrangements will be made for it to jump the queue.
The importance of the scheme was outlined in documents published as part of a public consultation process last September.
They noted: "There are major traffic delays on the N7 progressing through the Newlands Cross junction.
"This is having an impact on local traffic in the Tallaght and Clondalkin areas. By eliminating the need for traffic travelling straight through this junction along the N7 to stop at traffic lights, the situation would be improved for traffic on the Fonthill Road, Belgard Road and for traffic on the N7 wishing to turn right or left."
An Bord Pleanala granted planning permission for the project in June this year but despite the massive investment to date, no further progress will be made in 2009.

Hayes welcomes announcement of Newlands Cross works

Local Fine Gael TD and Minister of State, Brian Hayes has welcomed todays announcement that work on Newlands Cross junction is to commence next year.
Minister Hayes stated, “I am delighted with Minister Varadkar’s announcement that the upgrading of Newlands Cross is to start next year. This is long overdue and means there will no longer be any bottlenecks between Dublin and Cork.”

Funding of more than €100 million is set to be provided under a Public Private Partnership involving a significant contribution from the European Investment Bank and Bank of Ireland, the first such arrangement for roads projects for a number of years.
Minister Hayes concluded by saying “This is a very welcome announcement, particularly at a time when PPP projects are so difficult to get off the ground. The construction process will also create employment for hundreds of people”

Newlands upgrade to start in April

THE long-awaited Newlands Cross flyover is set to begin construction this April after the National Roads Authority (NRA) announced that the awarding of the contract will take place in March.
The much-maligned junction is a constant source of traffic headaches to motorists across Leinster, and the revamp will see the demolition of the last remaining traffic lights between Dundalk and Cork city.
The scheme, for which An Bord Pleanala granted planning permission in June 2008, involves the construction of a flyover at the existing junction between the N7 Naas Road and the Fonthill/Belgard Road.
The NRA hopes that work will begin shortly after the contract for construction has been awarded in March.
The multimillion euro funding is set to be provided through a public-private partnership involving a significant contribution from the European Investment Bank and the Bank of Ireland.
This is the first such arrangement for a roads project for a number of years and the project will take two years to complete.
Local Labour TD Robert Dowds said that the junction was a cause of problems across the region.
“This is a junction that has been causing severe traffic problems for the residents of Clondalkin, Saggart, Newcastle and Rathcoole over many years. With 120,000 vehicles going through the junction every day, this project will make a real difference to commuters and businesses within our community by putting an end to the gridlock around the intersection.”
Funding had been delayed due to uncertainty in Europe, but Dowds is confident that the money, and the project mark a vote of confidence in Ireland.
“The flyover has been delayed over the last year because the money for it is coming from the financial markets, and there was quite a bit of uncertainty about how the euro[zone] situation was going to pan out. With so many problems in the country, it will be a credit to this Government when this project is finished. It will be a sign that despite the difficulties, we are making progress.”

An artist’s impression of how the flyover will look

http://www.gazettegroup.com/news/new...tart-in-april/

http://www.build.ie/construction_news.asp?newsid=137433

http://www.dttas.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=475

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity...,16446,en.html
kreator1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
JD47

Likes (Received): 311

Looking forward to seeing this get built. Anyone out that way?
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 1353

I live out in West Dublin, JD and it's very welcome to see some definite dates emerging regarding the Newlands Cross Upgrade. It's a dreadful choke point and it causes a ripple effect of bad traffic around the area. I must keep the camera ready to get pictures of it once building work commences.

Between this and the opening of Hansfield railway station it's looking good for transport in west Dublin for 2013!
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #4
kreator1984
creative creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
I live out in West Dublin, JD and it's very welcome to see some definite dates emerging regarding the Newlands Cross Upgrade. It's a dreadful choke point and it causes a ripple effect of bad traffic around the area. I must keep the camera ready to get pictures of it once building work commences.

Between this and the opening of Hansfield railway station it's looking good for transport in west Dublin for 2013!
I live in Phibsborough but I will travel over to get the latest pictures of what is going on - I will NOT miss it!

JD47 liked this post
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post

I live in West Dublin to but I am never out near Newlands Cross. Its funny because I go pretty close to it when I go to Clondalkin but I am never around Newlands Cross. I am only ever there when I am going the N7. I will be going down to Carlow a good bit this year so I will see what I can do.
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator1984 View Post
I live in Phibsborough but I will travel over to get the latest pictures of what is going on - I will NOT miss it!
Love your dedication Kreator. It would be good to have a lively thread in this part of the forum. Its been a while since.

Hopefully the docklands will get finished by NAMA and we can have a docks thread.
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #7
kreator1984
creative creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Love your dedication Kreator. It would be good to have a lively thread in this part of the forum. Its been a while since.

Hopefully the docklands will get finished by NAMA and we can have a docks thread.
Sorry for off topic but I had to show this picture to all of You

A view of Dublin docklands during the boom time in 2005. Photograph: Irish Times

Do You think that 2 billion Euro which NAMA wants to invest in Docklands will make this part of city look like in 2005 once again?
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 853

The Newlands Cross upgrade is long overdue and will have a major positive impact, not just for Dublin but nationally. You'll be able to drive from Cork, Limerick or Waterford as far as Sprucefield outside Belfast before having to stop at traffic lights once it's completed!
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #9
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 30

Very long needed project indeed, no doubt, the most important one in Ireland on a smaller scale, best of luck to it
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #10
kreator1984
creative creator

View from N7 slip road (near entrance to Joels)

View from top of Boot Road junction

View from Belgard Road to Newlands Cross

View from N7 (Red Cow) towards Newlands Cross. Slip road to left looks like exit for Clondalkin/Tallaght

View from Newlands Retail Centre & Bewleys Hotel

Catmalojin liked this post
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #11
kreator1984
creative creator

I am going to visit this famous crossing today in order to create an introductory photo session.
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 853

I hadn't seen those mock visuals before, thanks kreator1984! It looks quite well planned, hopefully it doesn't take them too long!
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 1353

The inclusion of cyclepaths is welcome. It'll help make the area more friendly to cyclists. This upgrade should really shave a few minutes off people's average commutes and make Dublin Bus services more reliable. All in all a really worthy project.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #14
kreator1984
creative creator

I recognize the photo session as open.

This the last chance to view Newlands Cross like that because in approx. 2 years time there will be a bridge (flyover) and completely new layout of this crossing.

Don`t say anything, the Newland Cross Upgrade is nearly beginning

Everyone is happy of this upgrade

To be continued.

JD47 liked this post
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #15
kreator1984
creative creator

A romantic inset.

More room granted.

Selling newspapers on this crossing will not be as profitable, and it's probably the only negative of the entire project, I think.

But it will be easier for pedestrians to cross the road. The waiting time for a green light is now about 5 minutes.

To be continued.

Last edited by kreator1984; March 14th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #16
kreator1984
creative creator

The End.

Last edited by kreator1984; March 14th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #17
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 58

Thanks for sharing Kreator.

Great to see pics and developments in parts of the city I don't usually pass through!!!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #18
JD47

Haha. Anyone notice the guy sticking his thumbs at you in one of your pictures Kreator? He must of thought you were taking a picture of him
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #19
kreator1984
creative creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Haha. Anyone notice the guy sticking his thumbs at you in one of your pictures Kreator? He must of thought you were taking a picture of him
Yeah, JD, I did but only at home hehe I guess he thought he`ll find his picture in tomorrow`s newspaper
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #20
geogregor

Likes (Received): 34549

Anyone knows phasing of the construction? Will they build half of the overpass first? Or is there enough space to reroute current road around the worksite in the middle where the overpass is going to be constructed?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: