COMPLETE: Place on Brougham (Hotel Adelaide refurb) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > South Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2004, 10:13 PM   #1
Pants

Likes (Received): 0

COMPLETE: Place on Brougham (Hotel Adelaide refurb)

From today's 'tiser:

Hotel goes for $80m apartments
By LOUISE TRECCASI
22dec04
HOTEL Adelaide International in North Adelaide is to be demolished and converted into an $80 million apartment complex under plans lodged by developer Urban Construct.

The company plans to build the "most luxurious and exclusive apartments ever seen in the Adelaide property market".

The project would see the Brougham Place hotel bulldozed and redeveloped into 89 luxury apartments and two "super" penthouses.

The ground floor fronting O'Connell St would have a retail section with plans for the first Louis Vuitton and Prada stores.

The project is a joint-venture with the hotel's Singapore-based owners.

Development plans are expected to be lodged with Adelaide City Council today.

The majority of the apartments would be two and three-bedrooms and residents would have access to their own 24-hour concierge, day spa/fitness centre, swimming pool, gymnasium and library. The two penthouses will be on the top level and feature their own dedicated lifts, lift foyer and triple garaging.

Prices for the penthouses are expected to start at $3 million while the apartments will sell for an average $800,000.

If approved, work is expected to commence in June and be completed by October 2006.

I haven't seen the print version yet, so I'm not sure if there's a render.

Given the prestige of the location and the $80million price for what would have to be a low-mid rise, I'd expect this to be a very impressive development.
Pants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2004, 10:28 PM   #2
jacobsian

Likes (Received): 388

Thanks for posting that chief. I'll pick up a tiser when the deli opens.

This may sound weird, but a development of that scale would be much more harmful for protecting the heritage and character of an area if it were built as a low rise! Heigh limits can cause a development to sprawl along the ground, consuming a lot of the street scape, when if it were built upwards, it would only take one parcel of land, leaving the rest of the street in tact. Good example of this is Liberty Tower - Urban Construct had a certain number of apartments they wanted to build, couldn't do it upwards, so they consumed the whole length of Mosely Square instead.

I suspect however, that rather than allow the building to go too high, the council will just grant approval if they half the number of apartments.
jacobsian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:56 PM   #3
jacobsian

No render in the paper.

edit* but the chick in the ad on the top of page 6 is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by yob
Thanks for posting that chief. I'll pick up a tiser when the deli opens.

This may sound weird, but a development of that scale would be much more harmful for protecting the heritage and character of an area if it were built as a low rise! Heigh limits can cause a development to sprawl along the ground, consuming a lot of the street scape, when if it were built upwards, it would only take one parcel of land, leaving the rest of the street in tact. Good example of this is Liberty Tower - Urban Construct had a certain number of apartments they wanted to build, couldn't do it upwards, so they consumed the whole length of Mosely Square instead.

I suspect however, that rather than allow the building to go too high, the council will just grant approval if they half the number of apartments.
Agree with you about the sprawl mate, although I'd guess that in this instance, they'd only be able to go the existing length of the Hotel Adelaide. A building a little taller than the existing one would be called for here though, given that it's an entrance point of sorts and also the nearby apartment towers are quite tall.

Liberty's a great example of your point though. It really dominates it's surroundings, whereas if it was a few storeys taller as originally intended it could have been shortened.

As you suggest, we have to be really careful around North Adelaide, so I'll hang out for the render in hope that the building's sympathetic to its surroundings.

Last edited by Pants; December 22nd, 2004 at 12:42 AM.
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:45 PM   #5
jacobsian

I've contacted UC for a render, fingers crossed.
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:53 PM   #6
Adelarch

Likes (Received): 2

sound promising
If they're lodging with the ACC today then hopefully there will be some DA info on the ACC website shortly
Adelarch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 489

How big do u guys rekon it would b?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:17 PM   #8
Adder-Laid
no way sis

Likes (Received): 3

I'm guessing at about 30m with about 8 levels max... 6 would be ideal for the site, as North Adelaide would not feel the same with a tall at one end...
Adder-Laid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM   #9
JAKJ

Likes (Received): 42

Petty much just across the street you have that 70sish yellow brick apartment thing. That has to be around 40m? Does anyone know its exact height? I wish they would bash it down or renevate it
JAKJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 12:15 AM   #10
AG

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKJ
Petty much just across the street you have that 70sish yellow brick apartment thing. That has to be around 40m? Does anyone know its exact height? I wish they would bash it down or renevate it
Absolutely. That 10 storey (about 35m in height) apartment block looks so ugly compared to the other more worthy architectural pieces around it, as does the current Hotel Adelaide International, which I am glad may be demolished.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:54 AM   #11
redstar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

they need to bash it down, or else i will. it drives me insane. i recon ive almost got killed looking at that building and crossing the road at the same time. its ugg-lee as.
redstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:38 AM   #12
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 489

Any1 got a pic of this ugly building? i rarly go to northadelaide and so probarbly wont gt the chance to see it
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:16 PM   #13
AG

Likes (Received): 576

There is a rendering of it in this weeks City Messenger. Looks like Air Apartments crossed with Bent Street Apartments. It's a groundscraper, 8-9 levels high.

EDIT: Image of this building is my avatar for several days due to poor quality.

Last edited by AG; December 23rd, 2004 at 01:26 PM.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 11:20 PM   #14
Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
There is a rendering of it in this weeks City Messenger. Looks like Air Apartments crossed with Bent Street Apartments. It's a groundscraper, 8-9 levels high.

EDIT: Image of this building is my avatar for several days due to poor quality.

Also think it has a bit of Air Apartments about it.

I think it will be Urban Construct's best development and a really nice building, but I'm not sure it's good enough for its location.

I'm probably being a bit fussy, but this site really lent itself to something special - whereas externally at least, the proposal looks straight out of the 2003-2004 boxy Architecture text book.

I should shut up until I see a decent sized render though - so I'll reserve my right to do a complete u-tun and look like a dick at a later stage.
Old December 24th, 2004, 04:31 AM   #15
Will

This sounds like an exciting proposal - however it would have been nice if UC built something slightly taller; maybe 12 stories?
Will no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #16
redstar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

mabye 150m? rather than 12 stoires??
redstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #17
Adder-Laid
no way sis

Likes (Received): 3

In Nth Adelaide? lol
Adder-Laid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #18
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar

The flight paths for planes coming into land at Adelaide, is directly above North Adelaide. And trust me some of those planes barely make it above 150m. And alo a 150m building would look completely out of place in North Adelaide, as the second tallest building in North Adelaide is only around 38m high.
Will no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #19
Al
Rann the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar
wouldn't that make it the tallest point in Adelaide? That would be be quite a coup if you could get approval for something that tall in nth adelaide.
Al no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #20
Pants

This proposal received unanimous DAP approval last night.

Off to the planners and public consultation, but it's looking good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement