Edinburgh International Business Gateway (EIBG) | Ingliston | £700m | Planning - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Edinburgh

Edinburgh Architecture in and around Scotland's capital.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Kenspeckle

Likes (Received): 4539

Edinburgh International Business Gateway (EIBG) | Ingliston | £700m | Planning

Value: £310m (initial phases)

Developer: Edinburgh International Development Partnership (EIDP), comprising Scottish Enterprise, Edinburgh Airport Ltd, New Ingliston Ltd, the Royal Highland Agricultural Society of Scotland, City of Edinburgh Council, Transport Scotland and the Scottish Government.

Architects: 7N Architects, Optimised Environments, others

Official Site: Edinburgh International - Scotland's Global Hub

Current Status: Initial RHASS and EDI phases approved. IBG Phase 1 Proposed.

Quote:
Edinburgh International is a world class location and opportunity for a major new extension to Scotland's capital city.

Transforming a massive area of West Edinburgh into Scotland's Global Hub, by building on the existing strength and future growth of the airport, it will establish a new city quarter and a location which will become a major growth zone for Scotland.

Designated as a site of national importance by the Scottish Government, the primary aim of the project is to enhance, via Edinburgh Airport, the city's global connectivity by developing the area as an international gateway into Scotland.

Part of a long-term vision for the commercial development of West Edinburgh, the project will unlock investment and accommodate high quality, high value international business development.

A project with huge strategic significance for Scotland, it is estimated that Edinburgh International could, by 2030, contribute an additional £2 billion GVA to the Scottish economy and support more than 3000 new full-time jobs.

Under the Edinburgh International implementation plan the following developments are proposed: International Business Gateway (IBG), Scotland's National Showground, Edinburgh Airport and associated rail, road and tram infrastructure.

International Business Gateway (IBG)

The 85 hectare International Business Gateway is located adjacent to Eastfield Road, in close proximity to the airport. The site has long term Physical development capacity to accommodate up to circa 500,000 sq m, primarily for high value international business development looking to relocate high value jobs from other parts of the UK, Europe and internationally.

Phase 1 of the masterplan will take the form of a mixed-use development and will explore the potential for a 12,000 capacity multi-purpose arena, new civic square around the tram halt, new hotel and conference facilities, the potential for a world trade centre and supporting infrastructure.

Extent of IBG Phase 1

Phase 1 visual - 12,000 capacity arena prominent north of current Ingliston Park & Ride

Landscape proposals

Scotland's National Showground

The Royal Highland Centre (RHC) hosts over 200 events a year attracting over 1.2m visitors and currently contributes around £250m annually to the Scottish economy.

In the next 20 years the Royal Highland Centre plans to capitalise on its location as part of Edinburgh International and aims to be the the UK's leading showground accommodating 2m plus people annually.

The creation of a high quality multi-purpose site incorporating flexibility will help improve the offering to a wider and more international clientele, enhancing opportunities to work in partnership with a wide range of businesses.

Two hotel developments on RHASS land are currently in development - an 125-bedroom hotel to be built adjacent to the existing 95-bedroom Quality Hotel and an 170-bedroom hotel with conference facilities.

As well as redeveloping the current showground and facilities, the eastern section of the site, bordering Eastfield Road will see significant development. A redesigned entrance boulevard will be flanked by a cluster of mixed use buildings, the aforementioned hotel, office provision and a Centre of Excellence, associated with rural and farming training and education. The development will be in keeping with the International Business Gateway masterplan on the east side of Eastfield Road.

Transport

Work is underway for the construction of a new Edinburgh Gateway Station, a circa £37m rail-tram interchange station on the Edinburgh to Fife railway line as well as a rail link between the Fife and Edinburgh-Glasgow routes, called the Dalmeny Chord. This interchange station will provide a direct link with the Edinburgh tram network for onward passenger transfer to the airport.

A number of road transport enhancements have been identified to support early phases of development and expansion in the area. A significant upgrade is proposed to the role, form and function of the main airport approach road (Eastfield Road), and to the dumbbells road junction interchange with the A8 (Glasgow Road), to address capacity and public transport priority issues. Enhancements will also need to be made at Gogar roundabout, and further evaluation of the options for improvements at Newbridge motorway interchange need to be undertaken.

In addition to the already committed investment in rail and tram access, the estimated cost of the transport infrastructure, and other support costs, required to facilitate the development of Edinburgh International to 2020 is estimated to be around £15 million to £17 million.

Edinburgh Airport (EDI)

Edinburgh Airport has grown over recent years to become Scotland’s largest by passenger volume and revenues. Its schedule of international routes continues to expand, opening up new trade and investment opportunities in Scotland. An ongoing programme of improvements to the airport – including a recently-opened £40 million departure lounge and security hall that will support up to 150 retail jobs – will accommodate a projected rise in passenger numbers from 9.0 million in 2010 to 12.3 million by 2020, and 20.5 million by 2040.

In the development for EDI are plans for a new multi-storey long-stay car park to free up land for further 8 aircraft stands, a £25 million 6000m² terminal expansion, the creation of new aircraft taxi-ways and a new 350-bed hotel.

heresjohnny, Moschops, ForzaD, JohnnyFive liked this post

Last edited by Kenspeckle; September 30th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Kenspeckle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
R.K.Teck

Likes (Received): 801

This is the bit that stands out for me:

Quote:
...explore the potential for a 12,000 capacity multi-purpose arena.
Love a bit of arena architecture.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2018?
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Old September 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Xtreminal
Azeri Dragon

Likes (Received): 2087

Great plan, I hope they build it.
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Leki

Likes (Received): 185

Looks good, but maybe I'm missing something... surely this land just duplicates what's been on offer at Edinburgh Park/South Gyle for decades if proximity to the airport is its USP.

That said, I'm certainly not going to say no to an arena, but it was originally discussed for Leith waterfront which at least would integrate it better with the city.
Leki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Teck View Post
This is the bit that stands out for me:

Love a bit of arena architecture.
Me too.

From the promotional spiel they talk about the arena becoming the iconic image of the whole area, so I have high hopes for the design. That said, the projected cost is around £50m, less than half that of the Hydro but with a similar capacity so it's unlikely to be quite as exciting. Not that I'm complaining. A venue of that size is long overdue.
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #6
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki View Post
Looks good, but maybe I'm missing something... surely this land just duplicates what's been on offer at Edinburgh Park/South Gyle for decades if proximity to the airport is its USP.

That said, I'm certainly not going to say no to an arena, but it was originally discussed for Leith waterfront which at least would integrate it better with the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki View Post

I think the arena going here is definitely a blow for the Waterfront, though I can understand why the IBG won out.

As far as the Edinburgh Park comparisons go, I think this development is intended to be more than just another business park. Details are still scant but here's the description from the planning application for the first phase:

Quote:
International Business Gateway Edinburgh, Phase 1: comprising development of new buildings to provide mixed use development including business and employment uses (class 4), (class 6); hotels (class 7) and ancillary uses including retail (class 1), financial and professional services (class 2), food and drink (class 3), residential institutions (class 8), residential (class 9), non-residential institutions (class 10), assembly and leisure (class 11), sui generis flatted development and other related associated works including car parking, servicing, access arrangements and public realm.
As you can see there's a lot going on beyond business use.

Apart from the location plan I put in the original post, there is nothing else specific about phase 1 online yet - at least that I can find - but there's a drop-in exhibition planned for later this month. I'm aiming to attend and hopefully garner some more details.
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Kolothos
Central Belter

Likes (Received): 876

This looks very interesting, and it reminds me a bit of what Amsterdam have done with the Bijlmer ArenA - a modern out of town business/leisure area.

This certainly shows that Edinburgh is a city with global aspirations as a European capital (whether that be in the UK or not), and it's great to see the city do something with the empty space within it's boundaries.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Kenspeckle

Forward planning for the International Business Gateway?

Tram construction pic from earlier this year - Ingliston Park & Ride stop in foreground

Enlargement
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Kenspeckle

A few new images have appeared online.

From masterplanners, 7N Architects.

Arena?

And from Murray Estates, another view of IBG Phase 1 (but from an earlier design stage). Looking east across Eastfield Road (main airport road), the proposed arena is front and centre with the existing Ingliston Park & Ride on the right hand side.

Last edited by Kenspeckle; January 30th, 2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Kolothos
Central Belter

Likes (Received): 876

Ingliston did once host motorsport, on a very ballsy little circuit.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Kenspeckle

Plans for major new development at Ingliston

Edinburgh Evening News - 7th November, 2013

Quote:
Plans to build a major business and retail development on the outskirts of the city have been submitted by a consortium led by former Rangers owner Sir David Murray’s firm.

Murray Estates and other partner firms have submitted proposals to create the new district around Edinburgh Airport, including hotels, business centres and shops, to city planners. The Royal Highland Centre at Ingliston would also be revamped.

The detailed planning process is set to begin early next year. The development is estimated to create around 3600 jobs.
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #12
Kenspeckle

Quote:
City of Edinburgh Council - Development Management Sub Committee

Wednesday 6 November 2013

REPORT ON FORTHCOMING APPLICATION BY IBG STAKEHOLDERS (NEW INGLISTON LTD, MURRAY ESTATES LOTHIAN LTD, FSH AIRPORT (EDINBURGH)
Nothing really new in this document but I'm told that the application for Phase 1 of the International Business Gateway will be in by Christmas.
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #13
Kenspeckle

I'm not convinced that the following would technically be part of the IBG - this land around the tram depot appears to be inside the IBG boundary in some documents but excluded in others - and I'm pretty sure it is from different developers. Either way, this seems as good a place to post this as any.

14/04157/PAN | Mixed use development incorporating Class 4 (excluding offices), Class 5, Class 6 and residential development, landscaping, associated access, and all ancillary development. | Site 100 Metres East Of 194 Glasgow Road Edinburgh

I'm curious to see more detail as this develops. Light industrial and residential seems like an odd mix, though the presence of the tram stop at Gogarburn could certainly make the latter attractive.
Old October 18th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #14
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenspeckle View Post
I'm curious to see more detail as this develops. Light industrial and residential seems like an odd mix, though the presence of the tram stop at Gogarburn could certainly make the latter attractive.
There's also the planned 'Edinburgh Gateway' tram/train interchange next to the eastern parcel of land on that plan. Perhaps they'll split it with residential on one side of the tram depot and light industrial on the other?

I can't remember what the latest timescale to start construction on the Edinburgh Gateway station is though. Its wikipedia page mentions an opening date of December 2016 but I don't think it's been updated in a while.
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #15
John07

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moschops View Post
There's also the planned 'Edinburgh Gateway' tram/train interchange next to the eastern parcel of land on that plan. Perhaps they'll split it with residential on one side of the tram depot and light industrial on the other?

I can't remember what the latest timescale to start construction on the Edinburgh Gateway station is though. Its wikipedia page mentions an opening date of December 2016 but I don't think it's been updated in a while.
It was supposed to open at the same time as the tram line's original target in 2011.

I seem to recall that they made a mess of the original planning application and had to redo it. Then with the delays on the tram line construction, it just seemed to fade away and presumably slipped out of the priorities for budget.

Very poor from the Scottish Government and/or Network Rail to have a five year slippage on this project.
John07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #16
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moschops View Post

I think you're probably right. I'm guessing that they might also have light industrial stuff in the triangular parcel of land NW of the tram depot with everything west of the Castle Gogar road as residential.

I can't remember where I read it but I recently saw November 2016 as an opening date for the Gateway station. It looked like there was quite a bit of activity and some new equipment on site when I passed it the other day.
Old December 14th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Kenspeckle

Looks like the IBG might not be happening any time soon. This is from this month's CEC Economy Committee:

Quote:
Major infrastructure funding is required to unlock the International Business Gateway site in West Edinburgh, but the revenue from office space in West Edinburgh is currently inadequate to fund the infrastructure needed to make the development of new office space financially viable. As a result, the International Business Gateway is probably at least 10-15 years away from being developed and is likely to need to include other uses to make it financially viable. It is not thought that the International Business Gateway would be a suitable location for residential development, particularly as it is close to the flight path – it therefore should remain earmarked for business space development in the longer term.
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #18
R.K.Teck

Likes (Received): 801

Disappointing. Edinburgh needs a Hydro Arena rival. The other stuff would have been pretty mega for the competitiveness of the city too.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2018?
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Old December 15th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #19
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Teck View Post
Disappointing. Edinburgh needs a Hydro Arena rival. The other stuff would have been pretty mega for the competitiveness of the city too.
I completely agree with you, but the plans for an arena had already been ditched back in May - see http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...enue-1-3420727

It got posted in the Entertainment thread but not in this thread.
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:44 AM   #20
Kenspeckle

Well, this is odd. PAN submitted for phase 2 of the International Business Gateway. Not sure what to make of this since a full masterplan has yet to be submitted for the first phase.

15/00225/PAN | International Business Gateway, Edinburgh Phase 2; comprising development of new buildings to provide mixed use development including business and employment uses (Class 4), hotel(s) (Class 7), residential (Class 9), non-residential institution uses/education campus (Class 10), and ancillary uses including retail (Class 1), financial and professional services (Class 2), food and drink (Class 3), residential institutions (Class 8), assembly and leisure (Class 11), sui generis flatted development and other related infrastructure and associated works including car parking, servicing, access arrangements and public realm. | Land 500 Metres North East Of Ingliston Park And Ride 2 Eastfield Road Edinburgh

Public consultation:

Quote:
Hilton Hotel, Edinburgh Airport, EH28 8LL
Tuesday 24th February, 2015; 1pm - 7pm
The proposed uses are identical to the first phase application, with the addition of "non-residential institution uses/education campus".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: