Edinburgh Trams | News & Developments - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Edinburgh

Edinburgh Architecture in and around Scotland's capital.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
R.K.Teck

Likes (Received): 801

Edinburgh Trams | News & Developments

Decided to make an Edinburgh tram discussion on this part of the forum. It should hopefully help the case for an Edinburgh sub-forum. This will be quite a slow burner while they carry out testing and make a few decisions about running and prices of tickets, but it will be all systems go once the line gets going next summer.

Quote:
Edinburgh Tram
(Under Construction)

• Opening in Summer 2014.
  • 16 stop line running from the Airport in the west of the city, to York Place in the heart of the city centre.
  • Rail interchanges at Edinburgh Park, Haymarket and St Andrews Square (for Waverley).
  • Scotland's National Rugby stadium, Murrayfield, will have it's own tram stop.

[[NB: Keep using the big thread for tram construction news and photos]]
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=257745

We can put any tidbits like ticket pricing etc in here.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2018?
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Last edited by R.K.Teck; September 6th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
R.K.Teck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Teck View Post
Decided to make an Edinburgh public transport thread.
We should keep tram construction out of here though, and just have testing and then in-service news here in the coming years.
While I agree it's perfectly sensible to have a thread in the Scotland pages, there is a danger of duplication with the tram thread in the Transport pages, so I think your suggestion of keeping info about the construction out of this one is a good one.

For anyone interested that hasn't seen the other thread, check it out. It's reached 63 pages and over 1200 posts.
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Kenspeckle

Likes (Received): 4530

Any chance we can rename this thread to General Transport? I've got a post about a cycleway project and nowhere to put it!
Kenspeckle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Leki

Likes (Received): 185

Thanks for starting the thread R.K.Teck, but I'm itching to start a rail thread I reckon there's enough to warrant a dedicated thread.

I'd second Kenspeckle's three threads:
Quote:
EDINBURGH | Transport - Rail | News & Developments
EDINBURGH | Transport - Tram | News & Developments
EDINBURGH | Transport - General | News & Developments (everything else - private transport, buses, cycles, ferries, etc)
I think duplication is ok for the trams - there's national interest in light rail projects, so it makes sense to have the original thread kept going. But also it tends to get missed by Scottish posters, so another one is here is fine surely?
Leki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #5
R.K.Teck

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki View Post
Thanks for starting the thread R.K.Teck, but I'm itching to start a rail thread I reckon there's enough to warrant a dedicated thread.

I'd second Kenspeckle's three threads:

I think duplication is ok for the trams - there's national interest in light rail projects, so it makes sense to have the original thread kept going. But also it tends to get missed by Scottish posters, so another one is here is fine surely?
OK, do it! Go start an Edinburgh rail thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenspeckle View Post
Any chance we can rename this thread to General Transport? I've got a post about a cycleway project and nowhere to put it!
And I'll change the title* of this to Tram so you can start an Edinburgh general transport thread for your cycleway project story.

We shall plant the seeds for SSC users to sow for years to come lads.

[*pm'd a mod to get it changed to "EDINBURGH | Transport - Tram System | News & Developments" - it doesn't seem to have changed to that on the Scotland forum home page when I tried to change the title]

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2018?
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Leki liked this post

Last edited by R.K.Teck; September 6th, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
R.K.Teck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Leki

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Teck View Post
OK, do it! Go start an Edinburgh rail thread.

And I'll change the title* of this to Tram so you can start an Edinburgh general transport thread for your cycleway project story.

We shall plant the seeds for SSC users to sow for years to come lads.

[*pm'd a mod to get it changed to "EDINBURGH | Transport - Tram System | News & Developments" - it doesn't seem to have changed to that on the Scotland forum home page when I tried to change the title]
Thanks

It seems only a mod can edit thread titles - hopefully they've picked up on the discussion. Either way, this can still be treated as the tram thread
Leki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Moschops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki View Post
Yeah, totally. Didn't want to sound like I didn't want this thread, but R K Teck had suggested in his original post (which has now been edited) that we keep construction news in the existing thread which I thought was a good idea.

I just want to avoid posting the same thing in two different threads basically! The construction phase is nearing it's end anyway, it shouldn't be a problem really.
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Moschops

Testing out by the airport.

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Kenspeckle

Edinburgh trams: Services 'will be running by next May'

BBC News - 17th September, 2013

Quote:
Edinburgh's trams will be running by May 2014, the city council has announced.

The council also said that, after six years of construction, the capital's streets would be clear of roadworks by 19 October.

Tram testing between the airport and Edinburgh Park will begin earlier in the month.

Test trams will be running along the entire route to the city centre by December.

Edinburgh City Council's transport convener Lesley Hinds welcomed the new end date for the project, but added: "I'm very keen for it to be finished even earlier if possible.

"I've asked that all of these timeframes are reassessed at the beginning of next year so that any further gains in progress can be factored into our plans."

The tram project has cost £776m - millions over the original budget - and is years behind schedule.

However, the May date is two months ahead of the council's most recent forecast for completion of the project.

Tram testing from the airport to Edinburgh Park Station will begin on 6 October, with testing from the airport to York Place beginning on 9 December.

Haymarket (Dalry Road to Manor Place) is set to reopen to traffic around 12 October and Shandwick Place crescents to open around 19 October.

Ms Hinds said: "Within weeks the city centre will be clear of tram works for the first time in six years - the end of the tram project and the beginning of a tram service are clearly in sight.

"Our target for launch is now May 2014 but we'll bring this forward if we can and we'll announce a start date for the tram service when we're 100% sure."

But she added: "There's a major testing, commissioning and driver training programme to be done, work to be done on tram stops and, of course, a Scottish winter to get through.

"As we near the completion of the project, we are now approaching a time of real opportunity for our city.

"There has been major investment in infrastructure and now we want to see transport options fully integrated as part of a system that will benefit residents and visitors while ensuring that Edinburgh is well positioned in the eyes of potential investors who can bring new jobs to our city."

Transport Minister Keith Brown said: "The announcement that the infrastructure works will be completed and handed over to the council by next March will ensure they are in a position to have trams running ahead of the revised July 2014 delivery date.

"We will continue to work with the council and the contractor to look at opportunities to bring the programme forward even further where at all possible.

"This is good news for people and business in Edinburgh and we are all looking forward to a city centre free of road works and major disruption ahead of the busy Christmas period."

He added: "It puts an end to the misleading speculation over recent weeks about when the tram project would be finished and provides much needed clarity to businesses to plan ahead with confidence."

Over the testing period there will be more than 150 tram journeys per day, five days a week.

The tram route to Edinburgh park crosses South Gyle Broadway and the council will be working with Edinburgh Trams to ensure that businesses, residents and commuters are kept informed.

Ahead of December, a city-wide safety and awareness campaign will be launched as trams will be running through the city centre.

The council said that although completion of the track and road works between Haymarket and Shandwick Place would mean the vast majority of tram infrastructure was in place, localised planned works may occasionally impact on traffic flows until the beginning of the tram's testing and commissioning phase.

Last month the council set out plans to create a new organisation, Transport for Edinburgh, to integrate transport services in the city.

Edinburgh trams timetable

6 October - Tram testing begins
19 October - Streets clear of construction work
9 December - Entire route testing
May 2014 - Trams begin running
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Think Tank

Likes (Received): 28

I've said before that I think they'll wait until the worst of the winter is over before launching the service. I think the May 2014 date is a very safe bet- suspect they will trim 2-3 months off this and launch in late Feb/early March.

There is a myth about 6 months testing being mandatory- in fact they only have to achieve certain criteria across the route. The main work will actually be track grinding and noise reduction. I don't know if this has been started or completed on the section near the airport where testing has been happening.
Think Tank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #11
John07

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Tank View Post
I've said before that I think they'll wait until the worst of the winter is over before launching the service. I think the May 2014 date is a very safe bet- suspect they will trim 2-3 months off this and launch in late Feb/early March.

There is a myth about 6 months testing being mandatory- in fact they only have to achieve certain criteria across the route. The main work will actually be track grinding and noise reduction. I don't know if this has been started or completed on the section near the airport where testing has been happening.
They did track grinding at Haymarket some months ago. That was before they covered some of the line with tarmac to make a pedestrian crossing!

Five to six months testing seems rather excessive. Especially as they have already tested the route from the Depot to the Airport over a number of months.
John07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #12
bestbud

Likes (Received): 1253

Not surprising to see Kieth Brown jumping on the Tram bandwagon now that the end is in sight. No mention though that his department was posted missing throughout the majority and most controversial period of the project.

Some people have no shame.

CalumCookable liked this post

Last edited by bestbud; September 17th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
bestbud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Kolothos
Central Belter

Likes (Received): 876

The end is in sight, hurrah!

Ahhhh liked this post
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Kenspeckle

Tram tickets to cost the same as buses

Edinburgh Reporter - 18th September, 2013

Quote:
Edinburgh City Council has just revealed that the cost of getting on a tram will be the same as getting on a bus, with the exception of the fare to the airport and Ingliston Park and Ride.

A ticket for the tram be the same price as a bus ticket. The initial price will be £1.50 for a single adult journey and 70p for a child. A return ticket to the airport will be £7.50 (£4 child fare) and drivers will be able to take the tram from Ingliston Park & Ride for £2.50 with a £1.50 child fare. The return fare on the Airlink bus is already different as it costs £6 return from Waverley to Edinburgh Airport.

Day tickets will be usable across both tram and bus and Ridacards will be valid throughout the entire route. The bus day ticket is £3.50 which will now include tram journeys too. If you pay £8 then you will be able to get on the tram at the airport and use trams and buses all day long.

Transport Convener Lesley Hinds said: -“The tram will offer a fast, comfortable, convenient and reliable transport option at a very good price. With Lothian Buses, we’ve ensured that the bus and tram ticketing systems are fully integrated for ease of use and to keep costs low.

“Ridacards and day tickets will be usable across bus and tram while a single ticket will be the same price across both. Like most cities there’s an airport supplement and this is part of the business model to ensure the service is cost effective in operation. ”

“With the end of tram works nearing and a passenger service in sight, this is the perfect time to develop a new approach to transport in our city. With their existing knowledge and expertise Lothian Buses is ideally positioned to thrive with the tram and I’m very pleased that we’re working in partnership with them.”

Users of the National Entitlement Card will be able to use their cards on the tram through a Council funded scheme. Earlier this year Councillor Hinds said: “We are determined that Edinburgh residents who are eligible for free travel across the country should be able to use the tram on the same basis. The tram needs to be wholly integrated into the national transport network and, for me, this means that over 60s and people with disabilities should have free use of the service.”

The tram service is now forecast to be up and running for passengers in May 2014, two months ahead of the revised target of July 2014. Plans have been set out for the handover of a section of the tram route between Gogar depot and Edinburgh Park Station for testing in early October with full route testing to take place in December.

The city centre will be clear of tram civil engineering works by October with Haymarket (Dalry Road to Manor Place) now set to reopen to traffic around 12 October and Shandwick Place crescents to open around 19 October.

Last month the Council set out plans to create a new organisation, Transport for Edinburgh, to integrate transport services in the Capital. Transport for Edinburgh will be set up initially to integrate the tram and bus services, with Lothian Buses and Edinburgh Trams confirmed as the operators.

The project remains in line with the revised budget (£776m) approved by the Council in September 2011, with work either ahead of schedule or in line with the revised timescale reported in December 2011.

Fares

City single
Adult – £1.50 Child – £0.70

Park & Ride single
Adult £2.50 Child – £1.50

Airport single
Adult – £4.50 Child – £2.50

Airport return (to/from airport only)
Adult £7.50 Child – £4.00

Tram & Bus day ticket – city only
Adult £3.50 Child £2.00

Tram & Bus day ticket – Park & Ride & city
Adult £5.00 Child £3.00

Tram & Bus day ticket – network wide including airport
Adult £8.00 Child £4.50
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #15
ken2000ac

Likes (Received): 648

Looks like overall good news, although I'm a bit annoyed at the substantial price hike for the airport. Makes me wonder if they will be discontinuing the Airlink 100?
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Moschops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2000ac View Post
Looks like overall good news, although I'm a bit annoyed at the substantial price hike for the airport. Makes me wonder if they will be discontinuing the Airlink 100?
The 100 Airlink bus is already a premium fare, currently £3.50 single and £6 return, so it will be more expensive than the bus, but if you want a direct bus to the airport you're already paying more than a Lothian Bus standard fare.

As for discontinuing the Airlink bus, they're on record as saying that's not going to happen. To quote from page 48 from this document

Quote:
Where the tram runs parallel, or close to, an existing bus route, amendments are envisaged
to bus services to prevent unnecessary over-supply of services. Where the tram route follows
a different alignment, with no bus routes running parallel, or in close proximity, no
reductions are anticipated. The principle is that bus service reductions are only applied where
the tram offers an acceptable alternative level of travel.

Airport: The assumption in the financial modelling is that it will reduce to operate every
10 mins. This is primarily to ensure that the links it currently provides between
the airport and the Corstorphine corridor, which tram will not provide, are
maintained. Night service to the airport will continue to be met by service
N22, as tram will not operate overnight.
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #17
ken2000ac

Likes (Received): 648

I suppose I may ride the tram once or twice for the thrill of it. Then back to the Airlink service, which by then should have fewer on-road delays and tourists on board.
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Gap74

Likes (Received): 337

I was told that, because of the less direct route, the tram would actually be slower to the airport than the Airlink bus - anyone know if there's any truth in this?
Gap74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Moschops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gap74 View Post
I was told that, because of the less direct route, the tram would actually be slower to the airport than the Airlink bus - anyone know if there's any truth in this?
I see the Evening News is happily reprinting the 'eight minutes slower' claim as fact in a couple of articles today, despite having already published this in August:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transpo...uses-1-3054759
Quote:
Tram chiefs in the capital have insisted that the new service should be as speedy as the airport express bus - despite claims it could be eight minutes slower.
Edinburgh City Council has come under fire from Marco Biagi, Edinburgh Central MSP, who claimed the new line will be “an overpriced downgrade”, on the Airlink service.
Tram vehicles running from Edinburgh Airport to York Place in the city centre are expected to complete the trip in about 33 minutes.
It had been claimed that this would be significantly longer than the 25-minute trip advertised by Lothian Buses.
“The average airport visitor wants to get into the city as quickly as possible and they’re not going to choose the tram if it’s slower,” he said.
“How will the trams break even financially if they don’t even have the airport market?”
However, it is understood that the 25-minute target was dropped by bus chiefs several years ago and that the average Airlink trip is 30-34 minutes.
Council leaders have suggested that the tram is likely to be quicker during rush hour.
Lesley Hinds, the city’s transport leader, said: “The tram will have priority at junctions within the city.”
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #20
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 2383

Nope. In best traffic conditions the tram will be a little quicker, but often in the evening rush hour the A8 is really congested so the tram will be much quicker then. In addition travel times should be consistent as most of the route is offroad. The tram was not designed to replace the 22 nor the airport bus..
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: