Edinburgh Film & TV | News & Developments - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Edinburgh

Edinburgh Architecture in and around Scotland's capital.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Kenspeckle

Likes (Received): 4537

Edinburgh Film & TV | News & Developments

Sunshine on Leith film set for Edinburgh premiere

The Scotsman - 6th September, 2013

Quote:
Edinburgh is to host the premiere of the new film adaptation of hit musical Sunshine on Leith.

Director Dexter Fletcher will be joined by star cast members including Peter Mullan, Jane Horrocks, and Antonia Thomas along with special guests The Proclaimers for the premiere on 17 September.

Dexter Fletcher said: “The cast and crew of Sunshine on Leith are delighted to be bringing the film home to Edinburgh for its International Premiere. The sun shone on us every day we were in Scotland and now we’re happy and excited to be bringing that sunshine back”.

Dexter Fletcher directed the film adapted from the stage musical of the same name by Stephen Greenhorn and featuring the music of The Proclaimers.

The story focuses on best friends Davy and Ally on their return from duty in Afghanistan to their lifelong residence in Leith.

The film will go on general release on Friday 4 October.

Kenspeckle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Kenspeckle

Trailers for two Edinburgh-set films coming out in the next few weeks...

Sunshine on Leith

Filth (Warning - NSFW)

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Kenspeckle

World premiere of Irvine Welsh's Filth takes place in Edinburgh

STV News - 23rd September, 2013

Quote:
The world premiere of Irvine Welsh’s Filth is taking place in Edinburgh.

Stars from the movie are joining the author on the red carpet at Vue Omni from 6pm on Monday.

The film is based on Welsh’s novel and tells the story of Bruce Robertson, a bigoted and corrupt policeman who tried to ruin his colleagues while solving a brutal murder.

As Robertson, played by James MaAvoy, tries to turn his colleagues against one another he starts to lose himself in a web of deceit he cannot control.

The film also stars Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent and Joanne Froggatt and is written and directed by Jon S. Baird.

Filth is released in Scotland on September 27 and the rest of the UK and Ireland on October 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #4
maccoinnich
smalltown boy

Likes (Received): 85

Watching a jukebox musical based on the back-catalogue of the Proclaimers might well be my own personal Room 101.

"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

@maccoinnich
maccoinnich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Kenspeckle

Filth and Sunshine on Leith succeed at the box office

BBC News - 9th October, 2013

Quote:
New Scottish films Filth and Sunshine on Leith have proved a big at the UK box office, according to figures from the BFI.

Filth, which stars James McAvoy as a corrupt police officer, was the second most popular film over the weekend and Sunshine on Leith was number three.

In Scotland, Sunshine on Leith had takings of almost £290,000 in its opening weekend.

That was slightly more than Filth took when it opened in Scotland last week.

The 18-certificate film opened in just 38 screens in Scotland, a week ahead of its UK release, but took £247,860 in its opening weekend.

Sunshine on Leith is a romantic comedy with the songs of the Proclaimers providing the soundtrack as two soldiers return from Afghanistan and try to adjust to civilian life.

It was playing at 400 screens across the UK and took £770,239 between Friday and Sunday, figures from the BFI show.

Filth, an film version of Irvine Welsh's 1998 novel, stars McAvoy as a sexist, racist, homophobic, drug-addicted cop who is trying to cheat his way to a promotion.

It took £842,167 from 378 screens.

The number one box office film over the weekend was Prisoners.

heresjohnny liked this post
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Kenspeckle

Eddie Izzard to play Scots scientist in TV drama

The Scotsman - 10th October, 2013

Quote:
Comedian Eddie Izzard is set to bring the life of Sir Robert Watson-Watt, the Scottish hero of the Battle of Britain and the “Father of Radar.” to the screen.

He is to play the Brechin-born scientist whose revolutionary aircraft tracking system helped defeat the Luftwaffe in the skies over Southern England in 1940.

Filming on the new BBC drama - “Castles in the Sky” has already begun Edinburgh. The film is being produced by Glasgow-based Black Camel Pictures, the company behind the recently released hit movie “Sunshine on Leith” which is based on the music of the Proclaimers.

Watson-Watt, whose invention played a pivotal role in the Allied victory in the Battle of Britain, was one of four prominent Scots formally inducted last week into the Scottish Engineering Hall of Fame.

And a statue, honouring his achievements, is set to be erected in his home town in Angus.The bronze statue by Scottish sculptor Alan Herriot - depicting Watson-Watt holding a radar tower in one hand and an RAF Spitfire in the other - has already been completed and is due to be erected in the town’s St Ninian’s Square.

Brechin Civic Trust has donated £5000 to the film. And Brian Mitchell, the chairman of the trust, said: “Brechin Civic Trust sees the film as worthy recognition of the man deemed by many as the greatest Brechiner of the 20th Century, as well as bringing welcome publicity to the town.”

Watson-Watt, a descendant of James Watt, the Scottish engineer who invented the steam engine, was born in Brechin in April, 1892. After graduating from Dundee University he became a meteorologist at the Royal Aircraft Factory in Farnborough where he proposed the term “ionosphere” for the upper layers of earth’s atmosphere..

Four years before the outbreak of the Second World War, Watson-Watt produced a report entitled “The Detection of Aircraft by Radio Methods” which led to the first successful trial in which short wave radio was used to detect a bomber.

He was then appointed superintendent of a newly formed top secret research establishment controlled by the Air Ministry - the Bawdsey Research Station near Felixstowe.

The work done by Watson-Watt and his team at Bawdsey led to the creation of a chain of radar stations on the English coast - known as Chain Home and Chain Home Low - which played a vital role in the fight against the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain.

In 1940 Watson-Watt also invented the cavity magnetron which produced a compact source of short-wave radio waves and allowed Fighter Command to detect incoming enemy planes from a much greater distance than ever before. Today, magnetrons are used as the source of heat in microwave ovens.

Watson-Watt was knighted in 1942 and ten years later was awarded £52,000 by the British government for services to his country. He was also awarded the US Medal for Merit

After the war, Watson-Watt moved to Canada, where he is said to have been later caught in a radar trap and fined for speeding. After being pulled over he told the policeman toting the radar gun: “Had I known what you were going to do with it I would never have invented it.”

He died in Inverness in 1973 and is buried in Holy Trinity Churchyard at Pitlochry in Perthshire.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Kenspeckle

Jenni Fagan clinches deal for The Panopticon film

The Scotsman - 22nd October, 2013

Quote:
A Scottish author who shot to fame with her debut novel last year has clinched a deal to see it turned into a major feature film.

Jenni Fagan will work with iconic film-maker Ken Loach’s production company to turn The Panopticon into a screenplay, with filming hoped to be under way by this time next year.

Partly inspired by the Edinburgh author’s experiences of growing up in the Scottish foster care system, the book saw Fagan named one of Britain’s leading young novelists of the decade.

Loach, 77, who will act as executive producer, is best-known for gritty and often harrowing dramas such as Kes, Carla’s Song, Sweet Sixteen, My Name Is Joe and Ae Fond Kiss. He will also be helping Fagan, 36, who now lives in Fife, to develop the storyline and script, while his son, Jim, who made his own film-making debut two years ago, with Oranges and Sunshine, will direct The Panopticon.

The story, set in and around the capital, revolves around 15-year-old Anais Hendricks – who is accused of assaulting a police officer – and her experiences in a young offenders’ institution.

The first draft of the book was penned in the summer of 2010 when Fagan – who had moved 16 times and had three different legal names by age five – was on a creative writing course. She had studied film and television when she was younger and tried her hand as a playwright, but her career had stalled until The Panopticon.

Released last April to rave reviews and lavish praise from authors Irvine Welsh, Ali Smith and Andrew Motion, The Panopticon was named on the “Waterstones 11” hit-list of best debut novels in 2012.

This year, Fagan was the only Scot to be named on Granta’s prestigious once-a-decade Best Young British Novelists list and also made the shortlist for the James Tait Black Prize, Britain’s oldest literary prize, awarded by Edinburgh University, in the summer. Fagan, now a writer in residence at the university, told The Scotsman she had been involved in talks about a film adaptation almost as soon as her book was released. She is working on The Panopticon for Loach’s company while writing her second novel, The Sunlight Pilgrims, set ten years in the future after a flooding disaster hits London.

She said: “There was actually interest from around the world, including the United States, but I felt very strongly that the film had to be made in Scotland.

“The book does mention Edinburgh and it is actually set in Midlothian, and I was brought up in and around the city, which is where it is going to be filmed.

“I was very keen to be involved with the film, so I’ll be doing the story treatment, which is sent to potential funders, and will also be doing the screenplay. I didn’t write the book with a film in mind, but a lot of people have said they could imagine it as a film.

“I’ve not met Ken Loach, but will hopefully be meeting him soon to discuss the script, but I’ve already had a couple of messages from him to say that he loves the book, so it’s very exciting.”

The Panopticon will be the first major film made in Scotland by Loach’s Sixteen Films since the award-winning comedy-drama The Angels’ Share. Its producer, Camilla Bray, said: “It’s all still in the very early stages, but we would hope to start filming towards the end of next year.”

Ali Bowden, director of the Edinburgh Unesco City of Literature Trust, said: “The Panopticon is a stunning, stop-you-in-your-tracks kind of book. It’s incredibly vivid and so perfect for a film adaptation.”
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Kenspeckle

The Railway Man to get Edinburgh screening

The Scotsman - 26th November, 2013

Quote:
A movie about the life of a Scottish prisoner of war is to get a screening in his home city of Edinburgh ahead of its UK premiere.

The widow of Eric Lomax – whose memoirs about working on the Death Railway in the Far East during the Second World War have been brought to the big screen starring Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman – will be guest of honour at the Omni Vue cinema on Sunday.

The film tells how Mr Lomax, a signals officer who was captured at the fall of Singapore in 1942, became one of the thousands of servicemen used as slave labour to build the Thailand-Burma railway and follows his ordeal in a Japanese labour camp.

In his book The Railway Man, Mr Lomax recounted how he suffered ongoing abuse at the hands of his captors, including savage beatings and water-boardings when guards found a radio he had helped build.

The film examines the impact of post-traumatic stress on his life and what happens when he sets out to confront his main tormentor decades after the war – and the pair have an emotional reconciliation. Mr Lomax is played by both Firth and War Horse star Jeremy Irvine in the film.

Nicole Kidman plays the part of Mr Lomax’s wife as she turns detective to try to find out what traumatised her husband during the war and attempts to help him exorcise his demons.

Mr Lomax, from Edinburgh, died at the age of 93 in October 2012 – months after filming got under way in Scotland.

The production, which charts more than 50 years of Mr Lomax’s life, was filmed in Scotland, as well as Australia and Thailand.

The film’s producer Andy Paterson, who will take part in a Q&A with widow Patti after the Edinburgh showing, said Mr Lomax was twice visited at home by Firth during the Oscar-*winner’s research for the role and he even made it on to the set at one point.

Mr Paterson said: “After one particularly hectic morning and while the unit was moving to the next location, I stole Colin and Nicole away and drove them down to Eric and Patti’s house.

“After more than a decade of visiting that house and endlessly promising that we would get the film made, it was extraordinary to see our stars sitting, transfixed, in the living room, listening to Patti and Eric’s stories.

“Eric was 93 by then, and I had been told that he wouldn’t be up to visiting the set. Yet as Colin stood on the hillside overlooking the great railway viaduct, I couldn’t bear it. We sent a car round and soon Eric was being carried up the hill in his wheelchair to join us.”

After seeing herself portrayed on film earlier this month, Mrs Lomax said: “Logically, you know that it’s you she’s portraying but emotionally it’s almost like a detachment. It’s very odd.”

Among the Scottish locations used throughout the ten-week shoot were Perth’s Victorian railway station, the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway, the church at St Monans, in Fife, Calton Hill, in Edinburgh, the British Legion Club, in Cockenzie, East Lothian, and North Berwick.

The shoot in Scotland was the culmination of 12 years of discussion over potential locations since Lomax’s memoirs were published in 1996.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Kenspeckle

Award-winning filmmaker moves from Edinburgh beauty to banking greed

Queen Margaret University

Quote:
After achieving over one and a half million hits with his stunning time lapse video, Edinburgh’s award-winning filmmaker releases his long awaited film trailer.

Walid Salhab, lecturer in media practice at Queen Margaret University, is the creative talent behind the stunning ‘Kinetic Edinburgh’ films. ‘Kinetic Edinburgh II’, a time lapse/stop motion film of Edinburgh in winter achieved well over a million hits over the festive period.

His striking portrayal of Edinburgh’s winter wonderland, Portobello promenade, Newhaven and Dean Village, as well as some of Edinburgh’s landmark buildings, has gained recognition from a multitude of Edinburgh and Scotland’s promotional agencies. It has also been enthusiastically received by an international audience.

But for Walid, the sole purpose of ‘Kinetic Edinburgh’ was to help perfect the technique needed for his latest film ‘Avaritia’. This week, Walid released the trailer on Vimeo, a site which allows filmmakers to share their work within the filmmaking community.

Walid explained: “Filming in various locations in Edinburgh has been a crucial part of my research and I am now able to use these techniques in the new film. It is very difficult to create a fictional story which combines time lapse/stop motion film. The visual element of the story needs to be very strong because there is no dialogue. With ‘Kinetic Edinburgh’, it’s all about the image. It has been so much more challenging to effectively combine the story with the filming technique.

“The trailer differs from other movie trailers - is like a mini short film in its own right. The trailer has a different story but the same message as the short film. We have used it to see if this process actually works and fortunately, the positive feedback from other filmmakers suggests we’re on the right track.”

Completion of the film is expected to take around seven months as Walid has to work around full-time teaching commitments and commercial projects at Queen Margaret University.

He said: “I spent every evening in the freezing cold for two months shooting ‘Kinetic Edinburgh II’ and the trailer for ‘Avaritia’. I put my actors through hell and I’m so lucky they are still on board with the new film. It will be a blessing to work in the warmer months.”

‘Avaritia’ which is being filmed in Edinburgh’s city centre and Portobello, tells the story of a money obsessed banker who has been corrupted by the banking culture. He is isolated and searching for something positive, but is trapped by the materialistic world which he has created.

“We live in such a consumer driven society that sometimes we forget the important things in life like health, happiness, family and friends. The main character in the film views everything and everyone as a way of accumulating more wealth – that’s why he is trapped” explained Walid.

Walid has been quietly making films for the last 20 years with little or no budget. He pays tribute to his loyal crew, as he knows, without their support, it would have been almost impossible to produce anything. He said: “The actor Robert Welsh, is co-producer of ‘Avaritia’, and he stars in nearly all of my productions. Over the years he’s portrayed a priest, a geek, a homeless man and now a banker. The filmmaking with Robert and his partner, Ros Campbell, who is also the production manager, is a critical part of my development as a filmmaker and a lecturer. However, my filmmaking career would have come to a grinding halt had it not been for the on-going support of Queen Margaret University. The University gives me the time to be creative and continually encourages me to develop as a professional.”

As a filmmaker, 2012 has been Walid’s most successful year ever. Aside from getting over a one and a half million hits on You Tube with Kinetic Edinburgh II, Walid’s earlier short film ‘Bra-et Al Rouh’ (Innocence of the Spirit) has been screened at festivals in Cannes, The Hamptons (New York), Las Vegas and Cape Cod and has picked up six awards in the process. ‘Bra-et Al Rouh’ is also to be screened in the Edinburgh Filmhouse as part of the International Festival of Middle Eastern Spirituality and Peace on the 21 February 2013.

He has high hopes for ‘Avaritia’ in 2013, but the most gratifying thing for him is to see how the knowledge and skills he has gained in the last year are having a positive impact on his students. He said: “To see them create beautiful films, and to notice elements of your work in their productions, is just the best feeling in the world.”

You can view the ‘Avaritia’ trailer on Vimeo at:
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Kenspeckle

How a TV audience of 1 billion will see Scotland enter 2014 from Edinburgh...

The Herald - 27th December, 2013

Quote:
Edinburgh's Hogmanay will promote Scotland to a billion people around the world at the start of what organisers say is the biggest year in the nation's history.

"Scotland's big year starts here" is the slogan for this year's Hogmanay party in the city, capitalising on its international profile to showcase Scotland's packed calendar next year.

The Commonwealth Games, Ryder Cup, Mountain Biking World Cup, MTV Awards, the independence referendum, the second Year of Homecoming and anniversary celebrations of the Battle of Bannockburn are all taking place in 2014.

But with strong winds already closing some Christmas attractions in Edinburgh, organisers are keeping a close eye on the weather.

The unsettled conditions are forecast to continue right up to Hogmanay but the Met Office says there is "nothing horrendous on the horizon".

The new national police force will guard the expected 80,000 revellers for the first time, although Police Scotland's Edinburgh commander said the response will be almost identical to Lothian & Borders Police's "successful" stewardship of the event over the last 20 years.

Pete Irvine, director organiser Unique Events, said: "2014 will be the biggest year that Scotland has ever had, and probably ever will have.

"Edinburgh's Hogmanay is by far the biggest television event in Scotland, going out to a billion televisions around the world and on international news bulletins every 15 minutes for around 36 hours.

"This year people are going to hear from Scotland a lot. The Commonwealth Games will go out to all of the Commonwealth and English-speaking countries, and the Ryder Cup is the biggest television event outside of the Olympics.

"So there's an awful lot of focus on Scotland, never mind the referendum."

There will be no prohibition on political organisations using the international profile as forum for their messages, according to Mr Irvine.

"This is a news moment. We have lots of other press, reportage and reviews. We have a great artistic programme which profiles Scotland," he said.

"A big part of our programme is the Rewinder, a live DJ and VJ (video jockey) show from the top of the mound and on eight screens throughout the street party.

"We are doing something that has never been done by any country, which is demonstrate how little old Scotland has changed the modern world with all of its inventions, discoveries, achievements.

"We are telling this story through the great dancefloor tunes that Scotland has produced and relate to us. It's a four-hour show about how brilliant we are."

Senior Met Office adviser Graeme Forrester said: "We have had particularly stormy weather right across the country over the last few weeks. It's been pretty unsettled and there's no great changes to that pattern over the next few days I'm afraid.

"However, the good news seems to be that those storms should be becoming a bit less intense but, in such a mobile situation, it's very difficult to nail down periods of stormy weather.

"There's nothing horrendous on the horizon but it's still very unsettled, so we will just have to keep an eye on it. People should monitor the forecast and make sure they're suitably clad for the conditions."

SNP councillor Gavin Barrie, convener of Edinburgh Council's regulatory committee, said: "Nothing will be cancelled unless it's a matter of public safety, and the event will take place as best as possible regardless of the conditions.

"The three-day festival won't be affected by weather but some events might. It's in the hands of the weather gods."

Chief Superintendent Mark Williams said: "This is the first Hogmanay we will police as a single police service, but we have been doing this successfully as Lothian & Borders Police for over 20 years.

"We have always treated Edinburgh's Hogmanay as a community policing event, and the handful of arrests that we have had over the years is testimony to that.

"The vast majority of the officers working at the party are from Edinburgh.

"We have always drawn on colleagues from the wider Lothian and Borders area to assist because of the numbers involved, and there's no difference this year.

"Come and have a fantastic time, but stick with your friends, have their phone numbers to hand and have a plan to get home safely.

"Look after each other and think about your own safety. We don't want to stop people having a drink at this cracking event, but don't drink to such an excess that you make yourself vulnerable and put yourself in danger."
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #11
heresjohnny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1072

anyone seen The Railway Man, to see what edinburgh looks like in it?

not being a fan of colin firth anyway, from the trailers he just sounded like colin firth. hasn't even tried to put on eric lomaxs scottish accent, put me off a bit.

Last edited by heresjohnny; December 28th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
heresjohnny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresjohnny View Post
anyone seen The Railway Man, to see what edinburgh looks like in it?

not being a fan of colin firth anyway, from the trailers he just sounded like colin firth. hasn't even tried to put on eric lomaxs scottish accent, put me off a bit.
I haven't seen it, but I think the Edinburgh location filming was quite minimal. Although they were based in the city for a few weeks they were mainly filming elsewhere - Bo'ness, St. Monans, North Berwick, Perth. Though they did shoot on Calton Hill.

I think I read the producer talked Firth out of doing the accent, though he did a Scottish accent in My Life so Far and, as far a I can remember, it was pretty decent, so I'm not sure why.

heresjohnny liked this post
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #13
heresjohnny
BANNED

thanks, im just not a fan of colin firth or kidman for that matter. so it was easy to put me off.

im better buying the book instead, what an amazing story and man!
Old January 20th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #14
Kenspeckle

City-based stunt cyclist Danny MacAskill's new short film, "Way Back Home" - showing his journey from Edinburgh to Skye - passed 30 million hits on YouTube yesterday.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Kenspeckle

Trainspotting cast members sign up for sequel

Edinburgh Evening News - 3rd February, 2014

Quote:
Two of the original cast members from the iconic film Trainspotting have agreed to appear in the follow up due to be released in 2016.

Robert Carlyle, who played Begbie, and Jonny Lee Miller, Sick Boy, have signed on to star in the next instalment, which will begin shooting next year.

Trainspotting, which was nominated for an Oscar after its release in 1996, soon became one of the most famous films based in Scotland.

And now fans of the black comedy will be seeing two of their favourite characters back on the screens in time for the 20th anniversary of the original film.

Novelist Irvine Welsh said that although the business side of things was almost complete, they have yet to write a completed script, which will be loosely based around his 2002 novel Porno.

He said: “We’ve agreed all the business side of it now. These things take a while, contracts getting tied up. But we’ve agreed all that side of it.”
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #16
Kenspeckle

Irvine Welsh considering Trainspotting TV series

ShortList.com - 10th February, 2014

Quote:
Irvine Welsh has revealed that he is considering making a TV series based on his Trainspotting prequel Skagboys - which could then lead into a subsequent TV version of the classic 1996 movie.

Speaking to us ahead of the DVD release of the critically-acclaimed Filth, based on his book of the same name, he said of plans for Skagboys, "I've been thinking about the idea of a TV series - maybe a 3-part - one of these things that could do really well in the UK. I think America trashes us in terms of sort of premium TV series but one of the things we really do well in the UK is a 3-part series...the sort of Red Riding-type thing...that's our strength. I think Skagboys would be good material to do that with. You could actually go on and do another 3-parter as Trainspotting, as a sequel to it, on TV, y'know?"

He went on to add that a movie reboot - hugely popular in Hollywood right now - was unlikely, although he did say "never say never". Welsh commented, "Whenever I see the original movie again it does hold up really well - the performances are really great, the script's really sharp and it's kind of cool, and it's of its time as well - it has that cache. I think if you're making something, you're making something that isn't really a cultural event any more, it's just a facsimile of the same thing, so I'd have to be convinced - you could convince me with a suitcase full of cash!"
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #17
heresjohnny
BANNED

nice one! i was going on in the glasgow tv thread about bbc and stv not making any drama programmes, just 'real people' shows.

this would be more like it!
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #18
Kenspeckle

Edinburgh backdrop for Giuseppe Tornatore film

The Scotsman - 8th March, 2014

Quote:
Scotland's capital is set for another taste of big-screen glory after it emerged that Italian film-maker Giuseppe Tornatore will be shooting his latest film in the city later this year.

The man behind Cinema Paradiso has chosen Edinburgh as one of the key locations for his new romantic drama, which will be the first film he has made in the UK.

Tornatore is making The Correspondence on the back of the success of his first English-language film, The Best Offer, which starred Geoffrey Rush, Jim Sturgess and Donald Sutherland.

The plot of The Correspondence will follow the love affair between a professor and a younger woman.

The director is reported to have been visiting Edinburgh this week to scout out locations.

Rosie Ellison, film manager at Marketing Edinburgh, which is responsible for promoting the city as a possible location for films and TV shows, said: “Giuseppe Tornatore is an incredibly exciting director.

“We are delighted to welcome him to Edinburgh and to be working with his team. This is a very positive step in promoting Edinburgh as a film-friendly city.”

Sunshine on Leith, Filth, Cloud Atlas, The Railway Man and The Angels’ Share are among the films to have been shot in the city in recent years.
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #19
Kenspeckle

Russell Crowe set for Edinburgh premiere of Noah

Edinburgh Evening News - 26th March, 2014

Quote:
Hollywood star Russell Crowe is set to meet fans in Edinburgh on Saturday when he attends the premiere of the biblical epic Noah.

The special fan premiere being held at the Filmhouse is likely to be packed after it was revealed the star, who plays the titular creator of the ark, will be turning out to greet fans.

The film, from acclaimed director Darren Aronofsky, tells the story of a man who sees visions of an apocalyptic deluge and so creates the ark to save his family.

The fan screening is being held at the Filmhouse on Lothian Road on Saturday, March 29, at 5pm, and the films opens across the UK on April 4.
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #20
Kenspeckle

City centre skyscrapers? Welcome to Edinburgh 2044

Edinburgh Evening News - 27th March, 2014

Quote:
A polluted skyline filled with glass and steel skyscrapers and surrounded by giant wind turbines - welcome to the Capital in 2044.

A striking image of the city centre 30 years in the future has been created as part of a promotion for the British science fiction film The Machine.

And while the World Heritage landmarks of Edinburgh Castle and the Hub building remain untouched, vast swathes of the city are dominated by towering skyscrapers, and Princes Street appears to have become the home for a huge Shard-like construction. In the distance the Pentland Hills have become a forest of gigantic wind turbines.

The concept art was created by architect David Edwards.

The film’s premise sees Britain still gripped by recession in the future and embroiled in a cold war with China. The Ministry of Defence works to create a mechanised soldier, a thinking robot that has the ability to fight and the intelligence to negotiate peace.

The film, starring Toby Stephens and Caity Lotz, is in cinemas now and released on DVD/Blu-ray out March 31.

Last edited by Kenspeckle; March 28th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: