Fountainbridge Masterplan | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Edinburgh

Edinburgh Architecture in and around Scotland's capital.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 186 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Moschops

Likes (Received): 1367

Fountainbridge Masterplan | U/C

The Fountainbridge area of Edinburgh, between the Union Canal and the line of the Caledonian Railway (now the line of the Western Approach Road) developed during the 19th century to be a major industrial area. The North British Rubber Company had a large works along the canal and McEwans Brewery occupied a site by the railway line.

By the mid-1960s the North British Rubber Company had relocated elsewhere and in 1973 a new, larger Fountain Brewery was opened on the vacated site by the canal. By the 1990s some redevelopment had started with the Fountain Park multiplex cinema/leisure complex being built at the west end of the site, and Edinburgh Quay at the Lochrin Basin at the east.

In 2004 it was announced that the brewery was to close, with production moved to the smaller Caledonian Brewery at Slateford Road and elsewhere.

2008 aerial view from RCAHMS

The site was cleared by 2011

Google aerial views from August 2012:
From the south

From the west

Allan Murray Architects worked on the masterplan for the area.

Quote:
The proposals envisage the creation of a stunning new "urban village" with public squares linking the upgraded and potentially expanded Union Canal with Fountainbridge and the West Approach Road. A diverse mix of uses on the 32 hectares would include residential, commercial, retail, cultural and leisure with underground car-parking freeing up the ground for gardens and high quality pedestrian spaces. The West Approach Road and Fountainbridge would be transformed into a magnificent tree-lined boulevards with wide pavements.
http://www.ama-ltd.co.uk/Fountainbridge_Masterplan.html

Quote:
The site is more than just a large tract of land for redevelopment: it is a unique opportunity to consider a comprehensive approach to the regeneration of the area as a whole – making new connections, extending the Exchange, creating a mixed use environment and establishing the canal side as a new quarter of Edinburgh.

The Fountainbridge Brewery is a very significant site within Edinburgh’s western city centre. The site has a long history of industry, brewing and manufacturing, much of which has either migrated to out of town areas or has been superseded by technology. The current site is disused and requires careful consideration of how and what its contribution is to be to the wellbeing of the city and to the local community.

Many of the challenges of the site were generated by historical influences, especially the transformation of the land from semi-rural to an industrial landscape in the Nineteenth century, to the post industrial situation of today.

A project team has been appointed to progress an application for Planning Permission in Principle for the redevelopment of the site which will establish the principles of what kind of uses may be developed on the site in the future and other issues such as heights, urban realm, open space, etc.

We have prepared some illustrations and an illustrative model of how the future development of the site may look and feel, which will be expanded upon as the detailed applications and proposals come forward.
http://www.ama-ltd.co.uk/Fountainbridge_South.html

10/02955/PPP

ForzaD, Kenspeckle liked this post

Last edited by Moschops; November 10th, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
Moschops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Moschops

Fountainbridge North - 'Springside'

The area between Fountainbridge (the road) and the Western Approach Road will be known as 'Springside', and is planned to have over 600 new homes, 140,000 sq ft of office space and shops. Oberlanders were the mastetrplanners and lead architects.

05/00106/OUT | Mixed use development on brownfield site

Official website - http://www.springside.co.uk/

Construction started in 2007 but further development was put on hold when the credit crunch kicked in. So far the 'Foundry' flats at the eastern side of the site and one block of student accommodation at the western side are completed and occupied.

Looking along Upper Grove Place

From Fountainbridge looking north

Student accommodation next to Fountain Park

Looking east across the temporary Fountainbridge Community Garden towards the Foundry flats.

More recently, plans have been submitted for a 181 bed Hyatt Place hotel:

Quote:
Map Property and Leisure Springside Ltd together with Fountain North have submitted plans for the construction of a 181 bed Hyatt Place hotel at Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.

Designed by Archial the four star scheme will be built on the site of a former brewery and will front a courtyard car park to the rear.

Situated adjacent to the grade A listed Pilkington building on Fountainbridge the scheme adopts a horizontal emphasis of randomly coloured punched windows through a buff Springside brick skin, topped by a stepped roofline.

A projecting box at ground level denotes the entrance to a glazed active base housing a café, bar, lounge and dining room.

If approved the Hyatt would be one of the largest hotels in Edinburgh.
http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/4155/...s_advance.html

The hotel site now

13/01405/FUL | Erection of building for 181 bedroom 4 star Hotel with associated facilities, food and drink (class 3) unit, car parking hard and soft landscaping and other associated works.

There are also plans for a second block of student flats next to the IQ building at the Fountain Park side of the site.

Current view from Western Approach Road

12/00128/AMC | Managed student flats for rent. | Land Adjacent To 194 Fountainbridge Edinburgh

Kenspeckle liked this post

Last edited by Moschops; November 11th, 2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Moschops

Fountainbridge South - Napier University student accommodation

Fountainbridge South - Napier University Student Accommodation

At the west end of Fountainbridge South, 777-bed student accommodation for Edinburgh Napier University. Seems to be pretty much finished, the Sainsbury's on the ground floor opened last Friday and when I was taking these photos at the weekend there were plainly students moving in.

View from Fountainbridge

Gibson Terrace

South end of Gibson Terrace looking along the canal to the site of the Boroughmuir High School

Kenspeckle liked this post

Last edited by Moschops; November 11th, 2015 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #4
Moschops

Fountainbridge South - Boroughmuir High School

The largest section of Fountainbridge South was bought by HBOS, intended for a new global headquarters, but after the near-collapse of HBOS and takeover by Lloyds the plans were shelved. In 2011 Edinburgh Council bought the site and announced plans to build a new Boroughmuir High School to replace the existing building 500m further up Viewforth.

13/00073/PPP | Proposed new secondary school and associated facilities and ancillary development, as amended to include public park.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-22660384
Quote:
The first images of plans for the new Boroughmuir High School in Edinburgh have been unveiled.

Plans for the canal-side site in Fountainbridge have been drawn up by Allan Murray Architects.

The new building will house up to 1,165 pupils, and will replace the school's current building which sits less than 500 metres away.

The school site is marked by the Union Canal to the south, Dundee Street to the north, and Viewforth to the east.

The student residencies being built off Gibson Terrace for Napier University mark the western edge of the site.

The plans show teaching areas arranged around a multi-functional "heart", traditional classrooms offering easy access to break out areas and enhanced facilities for physical activity and external learning, including a roof-top multi-use games area.

There will also be a new public park, along the canal's north bank, next to the new school building.

Subject to consultation, and planning and budget consent, work is expected to start on the new school in summer 2014 with completion due for summer 2016.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotlan...wery-1-2126578

Quote:
A MASSIVE expansion to Edinburgh’s financial district is set to be built on the site of Edinburgh’s historic Fountain Brewery – despite it being snapped up for a new school last year.

Council leaders have admitted only a fraction of the land by the banks of the city’s Union Canal will be needed for the new eco-friendly home of Boroughmuir High, in the Fountainbridge area.

The 11.5-acre site – home to a brewery for more than 150 years until its demise in 2005 – had previously been earmarked for a new headquarters building for Bank of Scotland only for the plans to be shelved when the bank had to be rescued a tax-payer-funded bailout and was taken over by the Lloyds Banking Group.

However, the council – which outbid at least half-a-dozen private-sector bidders to snap up the much-sought-after plot in November – has unveiled plans to encourage the development of a new “business district” on a bigger chunk of the site than the one earmarked for the school as part of a drive to encourage an economic recovery on major gap sites across the city.

New homes, a new canal boat marina, cafes, bars and restaurants, student housing for Edinburgh Napier University and a public park are also planned as part of the canal quarter. It is thought upwards of 500 new jobs could be created in the area.

The expansion for the “Exchange” financial district, which first started taking shape in the early 1990s off Lothian Road, would help address a predicted shortage in office accommodation over the next few years.
View from the Viewforth bridge over the canal looking over the Boroughmuir High site towards Napier student flats.

Last edited by Moschops; November 11th, 2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #5
maccoinnich
smalltown boy

Likes (Received): 85

Thanks for creating this thread - I had no idea that the former McEwans Brewery had been completely leveled. There's a part of me that's sad that Edinburgh no longer (since 2004?) has that malty smell on days without a breeze.

"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

@maccoinnich
maccoinnich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Dee-lightful

Likes (Received): 65

Great post. What I don't fully understand is where we are with the masterplan...for instance, where does the building of Boroughmuir leave everything else? It doesn't seem to be in the masterplans.
Dee-lightful no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Moschops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-lightful View Post
Great post. What I don't fully understand is where we are with the masterplan...for instance, where does the building of Boroughmuir leave everything else? It doesn't seem to be in the masterplans.
No idea! I don't pretend to have any insider knowledge about any of this, and I'm not even sure that I've linked to the most appropriate planning applications, but I did my best.

I think the masterplan is more indicative of what could happen than firm plans. The economy over the last few years meant everything ground to a halt for a few years but it seems things might be slowly beginning to happen again.

Couple more posts to come by the way... May not be tonight but I've got plenty more photos to post.
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Ahhhh
Relaxed

Likes (Received): 74

Great work, this is fascinating stuff. I recently stayed in an apartment on the Springside part and was astonished at the transformation of the streets to which it is joined. They were a dismal, out of the way, unattractive part of the city. There are a number of great eateries and so on open around there now too. This is a part of the city I'd never before have considered living in, but in another 10 years I can see that being completely reversed.
Ahhhh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Ahhhh
Relaxed

btw, the brewery smell is still there - must be coming from the Caley Brewery. I loved that too, still do!
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Dee-lightful

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhhh View Post
Great work, this is fascinating stuff. I recently stayed in an apartment on the Springside part and was astonished at the transformation of the streets to which it is joined. They were a dismal, out of the way, unattractive part of the city. There are a number of great eateries and so on open around there now too. This is a part of the city I'd never before have considered living in, but in another 10 years I can see that being completely reversed.
Springside development looks high quality, hope the rest of it is completed soon (or indeed at all). I worry about the quality of the rest of it.
Dee-lightful no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Ahhhh
Relaxed

Yes, it is fairly high quality, I have to admit. The usual small rooms of course, but quite pleasant otherwise. That whole section has a huge car park underneath it which keeps the streets quiet. You'd really never know it was there. Finally, the little path section that joins the crossing over the WAR is great, steps for the speedy and ramps all the way for those on wheels, and it looks like a set of flower beds, really good design.
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Kenspeckle

Likes (Received): 4534

Great work, Moschops, especially the photos of the AMA student residences.
Kenspeckle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-lightful View Post
This might help. I've crudely marked the area on the current masterplan which would be used for the proposed new school.

And a repost of an image already used by Moschops, but showing the school in context, with the new student residences in the background.

And just for fun, another visual from the current masterplan, this one showing the proposed new marina area, adjacent to the school.

And an interior view of the school

Dee-lightful liked this post
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Kenspeckle

Development just outside eastern end of the Fountainbridge masterplan zone - St Mark's Quay housing by Michael Laird Architects.

Affordable housing comprising 22 units across 2 blocks already completed (joint winner in the Best Affordable Housing category at the 2011 Scottish Design Awards).

The remainder of the site will comprise 135 residential units with a public space linking the Union Canal basin to Lochrin. This development is currently under construction and due for completion around the end of the year.

Moschops liked this post
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Moschops

Nice one! I was going to look for info on that development but hadn't got onto it yet. Opening up a new pedestrian route from Tollcross onto the canal should be pretty handy.

Some pics of construction from Lochrin Basin:

Last edited by Moschops; November 11th, 2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Kenspeckle

Great pics. You're right about the pedestrian route. It will really open up the site.
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Moschops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhhh View Post
btw, the brewery smell is still there - must be coming from the Caley Brewery. I loved that too, still do!
Could be from the distillery in Gorgie at the other end of the Western Approach Road. Lots of grain being fermented - can be quite pungent!
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #18
Kenspeckle

Edinburgh Printmakers, the fine arts charity currently based on Union Street, are in discussions with the council to purchase the former North British Rubber Factory offices at Fountainbridge, creating a world class arts hub.

The derelict building, dating from 1894, will be the only original structure remaining within the Fountainbridge masterplan site (all the other brewery and industrial buildings in the above picture have since been demolished).

Description from Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland:

Quote:
2-storey and basement, 16-bay, near L-plan former premises of the North British Rubber Company, rounded at corner junction. Painted brick. Advanced basement; pilasters dividing bays; cornice to corner bay at SE corner of Gilmore Park; predominantly segmental-arched openings.Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows, 16-pane to NE elevation. Grey slate piended roof; corniced brick wallhead stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods. (Historic Scotland)

The site, formerly Castle Silk Mills, located alongside the Edinburgh and Glasgow Union Canal, was acquired in 1856 by the North British Rubber Co, an American concern founded to use Charles Goodyear's patent for vulcanising rubber, and greatly extended. In operation until the late 1960s, the business moved out to Newbridge in the 1960s and most of the buildings were demolished around 1971 to be replaced by a new mechanised brewery built for Scottish Brewers. ( RCAHMS)

The North British Rubber Company started production making tyres, conveyors, combs, golf balls, hot water bottles and rubber flooring and rubber boots. Rubber boot production was boosted by World War I as the War Office commissioned The North British Rubber Company to construct a sturdy boot suitable for the flooded trenches. During the war 1,185,036 pairs of trench boots were made, with mills running 24 hours a day to keep up with the Army's demand. North British Rubber was bought by Uniroyal Limited in 1966, and sold on a number of times subsequently before a management buy-out in 2004 established an independant company, Hunter Boot Limited. (Hunter Boot Limited)

Dundee Street frontage
Old September 14th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Moschops

Fountainbridge South - Freer Street

The parcel at the eastern end of Fountainbridge South had planning permission for 170 flats and an office development along a new pedestrianised street running from Fountainbridge to the canal to be named Freer Street after a street of tenement housing near the site which was demolished in the late 1960s.

http://www.ama-ltd.co.uk/Freer_Street.html

The developer was to be Buredi Fountainbridge, a joint venture between council-owned developer EDI and the Burrell Company. In early 2009 The Royal Bank of Scotland withdrew the funding and Buredi Fountainbridge went into voluntary liquidation (see http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...bust-1-1191125). The site still has a for sale sign on the fencing.

Kenspeckle posted this yesterday in the hotel thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenspeckle View Post

Operator: Unknown
Architect: Michael Laird Architects
Number of Rooms: 150-170

13/02182/PAN*|*Aparthotel with associated commercial and retail uses. New build development on brownfield site.*|*Site At Former 159 Fountainbridge Edinburgh

It's not clear to me if the new proposals will retain the line of the proposed Freer Street, but the planning report does state "Vehicular access to the hotel will be from Fountainbridge. Pedestrian access will be from the Union Canal quayside, Freer Street and through the larger site on the north and west. Underground parking is proposed below the hotel."

Last edited by Moschops; November 11th, 2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old September 14th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #20
Kenspeckle

I was just about to post something about this very thing!

I believe you're right and the new application occupies the same site as the now abandoned Freer Street plan by Buredi and designed by AMA.

The new application, by Michael Laird Architects (who were behind the adjacent Edinburgh Quay development), can be seen here:

13/02177/PAN | Masterplan proposals for mixed use development comprising Offices; Hotel / Aparthotel; Residential; Commercial and Retail. Newbuild development on brownfield site. | Site At Former 159 Fountainbridge Edinburgh

And a further application for the hotel/aparthotel element.

13/02182/PAN | Aparthotel with associated commercial and retail uses. New build development on brownfield site. | Site At Former 159 Fountainbridge Edinburgh

Development site (approximately 11,400 square metres)

The full application is not yet submitted so details are sketchy at this point but from the outline the breakdown of main uses proposed is as follows:

Approximately 85 residential units
Hotel/aparthotel of 150 to 170 beds
Two office blocks of approximately 60,000-70,000 square metres and 100,000
square metres respectively
Ground floor retail

No illustrative material is yet available but this was the site of an earlier mixed-use proposal by MLA (the Tartan Club Redevelopment). The following images are at least a couple of years old but I expect the current development will not be a million miles away from this.

Looking north across the Union Canal

Looking south across Fountainbridge (road)

Development sketches

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: