NORTH ADELAIDE > PROJECT: Former LeCornu Site - Mixed Development - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > South Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2005, 01:40 AM   #1
Pants

Likes (Received): 0

NORTH ADELAIDE > PROJECT: Former LeCornu Site - Mixed Development

$100m touch with a seven-star dazzle
By Civic Reporter ANDREW HOUGH
21jan05

PROPERTY tycoon Con Makris will today unveil a $100 million luxury complex intended to transform one of the city's biggest eyesores.

The former Le Cornu site at 88 O'Connell Street, North Adelaide, would be developed over two years under the Makris Group's ambitious plans.

The plans, released exclusively to The Advertiser yesterday, include a seven-star luxury hotel, upmarket retail shops, apartments, cinemas, restaurants and a three-level, 1100-space car park below ground level.

Glass corridors would connect the hotel to the shopping centre.

The $100 million blueprint has taken several years to develop. The site, empty since 1991, has long been considered one of Adelaide's most blighted locations.

Makris Group chairman and chief executive officer Con Makris said he wanted "all the big names" to move into the centre, including fashion labels Versace, Prada, Louis Vuitton and Dolce and Gabbana.

"This is a dream, and I think it is a dream for the whole of Adelaide, not just me," he said.

"In 40 years in this business, I have not seen anything like it. This is beyond imagination, it is like a big dream." Existing shops including Cafe Paesano would be demolished.

He said the seven-storey development would be set back from the road to maintain the area's streetscape.

The plans will be lodged with Adelaide City Council when the council's planning amendment report for North Adelaide is complete.

The project would eventually be referred to the council's Development Assessment Panel for consideration. Construction would start as soon as possible after approval.

Mr Makris said the plans complied with the area's proposed planning changes.

The millionaire developer said there had been detailed consultation, including discussions with planners, urban designers, residents, local traders and other nearby businesses.

He said the design was inspired by ideas drawn from Paris, Rome and Dubai.

"We have spent a lot of effort and a lot of money on this," Mr Makris said.

"The time has come, something has to happen there, the whole of Adelaide is expecting something to happen there and I think this is the solution. We can't leave it like that, it is costing the company a lot of money to keep it like this."

The site has been the centre of several failed development attempts over the past 15 years, including a $40 million shopping centre and a $22 million retail building.

Here's a scan:

I'm a proponent of more modern architecture, but this one looks a great project that whilst being quite large, would sit in with its surroundings very well. It's been a while coming but seems worth the wait.

A seven star hotel and the introduction of very high end retail would be great for the city. Let's hope it goes through.

Last edited by Pants; March 24th, 2005 at 06:10 AM.
Pants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2005, 01:42 AM   #2
Pants

Sorry AG, just noticed that you've already posted the article in another thread.
Pants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:04 AM   #3
AdelaideSkytraveller

Hope it gets built... That development along with a decent development
on the Hotel Adelaide site would really change the appearance of North Adelaide. What would then be great would be to extend the tram line down King William all the way down to the end of O'Connell St. Then North Adelaide would really boom.
AdelaideSkytraveller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2005, 03:32 AM   #4
Howie
we love cranage :)

looks fantastic... hope this doesn't go the way of previous proposals.
Howie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:11 AM   #5
Al
Rann the man

I thought this project was announced a while back but it was placed on hold due to ACC's height restrictions. Maybe I was thinking about something else. Still, hope this gets the go ahead!
Al no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:26 AM   #6
Will

WOW this development is amazing!!!

A similar style project in Glenelg would also be great for the city!
Will no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:54 AM   #7
kota16

Another reason for Mr Rann to find enough money for tram extension beyond Victoria Square, first to North Tce and SA UNI and then to O'Connell St, North Adelaide. It looks as though foreign students studying here are going to become one of the main sources of income for Adelaide.
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:20 AM   #8
Al
Rann the man

Maybe the tram can go even further - right up to the Aquatic centre! If they update the centre and make it a real attraction that is. Who knows, maybe one day, right out to Port Adelaide. Imagine, from Glenelg through Adelaide and onto Port Adelaide!
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:16 AM   #9
Howie
we love cranage :)

On a related note, but more to satisfy my curiosity... What gives a hotel the 7 star rating? i.e. what is the criteria?

I can't seem to find any information on this. All i know is that Dubai has a 7 star hotel.

Last edited by Howie; January 21st, 2005 at 08:50 AM.
Howie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:19 AM   #10
jacobsian

Likes (Received): 388

And what's a 6 star hotel?! I've tried googling for this, and can't find squat.

All i've found is a site that claims a dubai hotel to be the only 7 star hotel in the world. Surely this can't be so... Adelaide having something like this before.... nearly the entire world?

Here's a description of Dubai's 7 star hotel:
http://www.metamatrixconsulting.com/..._Feb_2001b.htm

Each and every floor has a concierge desk, while over 1100 staff members cater to every need of every customer. The statistics are that there are over 5 staff members for every visitor. Diversity is also a big issue, as the staff boasts over 50 different nationalities. There are 7 upscale restaurants, each visitor to the health club gets a personal trainer, a complete spa with services, full business conference facilities and sports and fitness activities. Each room actually has a full business center with copiers and scanners to boot. Ever wanted to take submarine ride? There is a two- minute ride to one of the restaurants.

Last edited by yob; January 21st, 2005 at 08:25 AM.
jacobsian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:23 AM   #11
AdelaideSkytraveller

Makris Group chairman and chief executive officer Con Makris said he wanted "all the big names" to move into the centre, including fashion labels Versace, Prada, Louis Vuitton and Dolce and Gabbana.

Maybe having these swish fashion stores gives the 5-star hotel a higher rating.....
AdelaideSkytraveller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:28 AM   #12
AG

Likes (Received): 576

The Dubai Hotel that is 7 stars is actually Burj Al Arab. It claims that it's 28 floors because it is actually 28 double floors, as each floor contains hotel rooms that are two floors high with only access at the room bottom floor.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:34 AM   #13
jacobsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
I thought this project was announced a while back but it was placed on hold due to ACC's height restrictions. Maybe I was thinking about something else. Still, hope this gets the go ahead!
The PAR process allows for height limits to be revised.
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:54 AM   #14
jacobsian

The interviewed council members on Channel 9 news seemed to have a favourable attitude towards the development.
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM   #15
Al
Rann the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yob
The interviewed council members on Channel 9 news seemed to have a favourable attitude towards the development.

Sweet!!! Fingers Crossed!
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM   #16
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 489

bout time we got some class! i hope those bignames move in!
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM   #17
Brando

Looks like this project would be brilliant for Adelaide. I would be amazed if this gets knocked back. Even if the ACC do knock it back, i would not be suprised if the state government step in and say enough is enough and declare it a Major Project, have the final say in the matter and approve the project.

Lets hope and prey because this would be huge for Adelaide, plus it's for a local developer..
Brando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM   #18
redstar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

prada? are we the new fashion capital or did i miss out on something else big?

lol, anyways sounds good and i like the idea of it having a multi-theme thing to it... a little bit of rome, paris and dubai! wicked.

and if we put in versace, the gay guys will roll in town and queer eye this city
redstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM   #19
kota16

It will not get knocked back, because we know all the council members live in North Adelaide, as well as some of the other pretentious snobs. It will give North Adelaide the class that it craves, and will virtually replace the Hotel Adelaide. I can see both Harbison and Rann making a joint statement on its 'go ahead' one night on Ch10, first with news.
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM   #20
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 489

what other development attempts hav there been?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement