KUB TOWERS (PJ) | Petaling Jaya (Section 52) | Pro - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:56 AM   #1
davidwsk

Likes (Received): 4180

KUB TOWERS (PJ) | Petaling Jaya (Section 52) | Pro

Iconic A&W PJ to be revamped, not closed

Read more: http://www.therakyatpost.com/news/20...#ixzz38Ar56rfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
davidwsk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2014, 01:23 PM   #2
davidwsk

Published: Friday August 1, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Friday August 1, 2014 MYT 12:21:48 PM

Farewell to PJ's iconic landmark

by nevash nair AND vincent tan

The A&W fast-food restaurant in Lorong Sultan, Petaling Jaya holds many fond memories for the young and old alike. Photo by VINCENT TAN

THE A&W restaurant in Lorong Sultan, Petaling Jaya, has been packed with customers as fans, young and old, flock there for their favourite rootbeer and coney dog since news of its impending closure spread like wildfire on social media.

However, the iconic fast-food joint is only shutting down temporarily at the end of the year and will return in 2018 with a fresh and improved look.

This is part of a turnaround plan by KUB Group — the franchise owners of A&W in Malaysia and Thailand — that started about three years ago.

KUB Malaysia Berhad Group managing director Datuk Wan Mohd Nor Wan Ahmad said the group was planning to develop the land with two office towers called the KUB Towers and relocate the A&W outlet while waiting for the project’s completion in 2018.

“The new and improved outlet with modern concept will be located on the ground floor of the building,” he said.

He, however, would not reveal where the restaurant would relocate to during the construction period, except to say “nearby.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Commu...e-site-of-fas/
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #3
dengilo

Likes (Received): 2007

Hey why not still have a drive thru between the 2 towers?
dengilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #4
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 2598

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #5
davidwsk

Minor details to be worked out
Posted on August 15, 2014
KUB to submit building development plans for office tower by end of the year

BY JOY LEE

A flashback of StarMetro’s article on Aug 1.

KUB Malaysia Bhd is in the midst of finalising building development plans for an office tower project that will replace its A&W restaurant in Lorong Sultan, Petaling Jaya, and is expected to submit them to the city council by the end of the year.

KUB group managing director Datuk Wan Mohd Nor Wan Ahmad said there were some minor details, such as project costing, to work out before the plans could be submitted.

However, Wan Mohd Nor is confident the building proposal will be approved without any hassle.

“The concept for the development has been approved at our board level and we have already appointed the contractors,” Wan Mohd Nor told reporters at the company’s recent Hari Raya open house.

The project, known as KUB Tower, will consist of two towers with 15 and 20 floors, with an estmated gross development value of RM260mil.

KUB’s intent to redevelop the one-acre plot, which currently houses the landmark A&W Petaling Jaya restaurant, caused a stir recently.

Nearby residents as well as customers and fans flocked to the restaurant on hearing of its impending closure, to get their pints of rootbeer and coney dogs while reminiscing the good times they had there.

“We will make a better one. It is an issue of modernity. We need to unlock the value of our land and it would be unfair for KUB to maintain the restaurant as it is when there is value there to unlock,” Wan Nor said.

KUB is the A&W franchise holder in Malaysia and Thailand, but is looking to dispose of its venture in Thailand.

The current A&W restaurant in Petaling Jaya is expected to be demolished by the year end or in January next year. The restaurant’s operations will be moved to a temporary location.

Wan Mohd Nor said the company had yet to decide on the temporary location but noted that it would be within the Petaling Jaya Old Town area.

An artist’s impression of KUB Tower. The building that will replace the A&W Restaurant in Petaling Jaya is expected to be completed in 2018.

Once KUB Tower is completed, which is expected to be in 2018, the fast-food joint will be reopened on the ground floor of the building.

KUB is also looking at setting up four new A&W outlets in the coming year in Tapah, Seremban 2, Senai Airport and Taman Pelangi, Johor.

http://www.starproperty.my/index.php...be-worked-out/
Old October 26th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Location: penang, cyberjaya, muntinlupa,singapore, sunshine coast
Likes (Received): 352

will they still be opened until december? i'm planning to go there for the last time before it closes
Arkdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #7
dengilo

A&W is shutting down some of their new branches as fast as they were opening them.
Old April 6th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #8
W3raq

Likes (Received): 683

still no update. Otherwise the location site is not start demolishing
W3raq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:20 PM   #9
davidwsk

Quote:
Tower project to go ahead at PJ A&W site
BY NOEL ACHARIAM
Published: 16 June 2015 5:34 PM

The PJ A&W landmark has now moved 100m down the road while a office complex is built on its site. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, June 16, 2015.
The PJ A&W landmark has now moved 100m down the road while a office complex is built on its site. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, June 16, 2015.
KUB Malaysia Berhad will forge ahead with its redevelopment plans to build office towers at the site of the old Petaling Jaya A&W outlet.

This was announced by KUB independent non-executive director Datuk Mohd Hafarizam Harun at the company's 50th annual general meeting today.

"We are still in the initial stages of the project.
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/c....zZcNIKED.dpbs
Old December 9th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #10
W3raq

as of now, the A&W PJ still operating but no news of the demolishing site
W3raq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #11
Bourgandy
Bourgandy

Likes (Received): 678

Nice marketing gimmick! A&W sales, skyrocketed like madness when news flash that A&W gonna be demolish like last year or something? Hahh

szehoong liked this post
Bourgandy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #12
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1903

Yea.....so many people have been going there for the past one year after knowing the news. So far I think only the Seremban A&W had closed its doors pending redevelopment.

And believe me....for the first few months....the lines are crazy! Now it had died down a bit but still the place is popular.
Old December 14th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #13
atmapgnew

Likes (Received): 2634

The Drive-in still standing eh - it's been ages since self was there , so better get there quick before it gets demolished lor hahaha !!!
atmapgnew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #14
dengilo

Its a proven success thru the ages !I wonder why A&W never opened another Drive thru like that elsewhere?
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #15
atmapgnew

And also A&W (KUB Bhd) seem to be cutting back (closing down) on their other outlets nationwide some more & had sold off their Thai 'franchise' recently lor !!!
Old December 17th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #16
Bourgandy
Bourgandy

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
Yea.....so many people have been going there for the past one year after knowing the news. So far I think only the Seremban A&W had closed its doors pending redevelopment. And believe me....for the first few months....the lines are crazy! Now it had died down a bit but still the place is popular.
Whilst i was in my car at the A&W PJ, i saw a family took picture with the A&W as the background. Got uncle (60s) with their grandchildren took photo. *face palm*
Bourgandy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #17
dengilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmapgnew View Post
And also A&W (KUB Bhd) seem to be cutting back (closing down) on their other outlets nationwide some more & had sold off their Thai 'franchise' recently lor !!!
They got the wrong "guy" running the show!Thats whyIts a proven brand just the wrong team thats allWhen i saw nasi lemak on the menu i knew they in trouble
Old January 29th, 2018, 08:41 AM   #18
davidwsk

Quote:
Farewell to PJ’s iconic A&W outlet
METRO NEWS
Monday, 29 Jan 2018

THE fate of the iconic A&W restaurant along Lorong Sultan, Petaling Jaya has been decided, after years of flipping back and forth over its operations.

A source from Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) said the 0.4ha land had been approved for development during the recent one-stop-centre (OSC) committee meeting.

This would mean the demolition of the famous fast food site will take place anytime to make way for the upcoming development.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/met...YcZDmGqiDsk.99
Old January 30th, 2018, 12:45 AM   #19
atmapgnew

This 'saga' has been going on for quite a few years already - wonder whether this will be the 'finality' to it eh hehehe ???

Old January 30th, 2018, 11:51 AM   #20
W3raq

my childhood place, so it's time to say goodbye to another A&W landmark
Advertisement