Duluth Development News - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Midwest and Plains Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #1
lancestar2

Likes (Received): 1038

Duluth Development News

I can't believe this site does not have a Duluth tab yet! thats bonkers!

Duluth rounds out the top five biggest cities in Minnesota with a respectable 86,000 residents and a projected population of 90,000 by 2030.

Also the "Twin Ports" (Duluth, MN and Superior, WI) have a population of 279,771, the Duluth MSA ranked as the 165th largest metropolitan area in the United States.

In recent news:

Plans for a 3-4ft lakefront walking corridor progress forward!

Quote:
The proposed new path would replace a more modest crushed bluestone walkway already installed by volunteers below a townhome development called the Ledges, with some reconfiguring on its eastern end to provide better public access to a section of unique shoreline rock formations.
Duluth's Airport numbers are down
Quote:
With Allegiant flying to multiple destinations in most of its markets, according to its online route map, is the Duluth International Airport at risk of losing Las Vegas as well?

And finally here is a link to Duluth's Comprehensive Plan Which has some neat information inside if anybody has some time to kill

If anybody is from Duluth feel free to jump in and share!

Last edited by lancestar2; February 12th, 2015 at 08:54 PM.
lancestar2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #2
lancestar2

Duluth Transit Authority is building a new 410 parking space ramp, which will also be able to store 120 bikes!

Here is a LINK to the renderings! Much of the skyway is already existing however they will be getting a bit of a facelift. It's being nicknamed as the St. Paul Union Depot of the North

Also a LINK to live construction photos Considering it's already under construction, seems like it will be a great addition! When I take my biking trip from Minneapolis to Duluth I for sure will have to park my bike here!

Below: is a layout of the replaced skyway segment and design.

Only thing that is really lacking is a direct bike trail to the parking ramp.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #3
creamcityleo79
Urbangeopolitiphile

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancestar2 View Post
I can't believe this site does not have a Duluth tab yet! thats bonkers!

Duluth rounds out the top five biggest cities in Minnesota with a respectable 86,000 residents and a projected population of 90,000 by 2030.

Also the "Twin Ports" (Duluth, MN and Superior, WI) have a population of 279,771, the Duluth MSA ranked as the 165th largest metropolitan area in the United States.

In recent news:

Plans for a 3-4ft lakefront walking corridor progress forward!

Duluth's Airport numbers are down

And finally here is a link to Duluth's Comprehensive Plan Which has some neat information inside if anybody has some time to kill

If anybody is from Duluth feel free to jump in and share!
What's the building u/c in the picture?

creamcityleo79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Nordeast Homer

Likes (Received): 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
What's the building u/c in the picture?
I think that is the new headquarters for Maurices.
Nordeast Homer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #5
lancestar2

yup,

Here is the link to details

Also a rendering...

Also the address is 425 W. Superior St as the Original photo was taken from the Radisson Hotel Duluth Harborview
Old February 13th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #6
anjunabeats91

Likes (Received): 1284

So I guess then this was the original building proposal for that site. I remember this was suppose to go up there a while ago and haven't heard much since about it. I personally like the original better.

anjunabeats91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #7
TallBob

Likes (Received): 267

The taller version would have been nicer (less the pointed crown). But Duluth has a lot of scenery and view issues because of the hilly landscape and the lake. I think it's one of the most scenic cities in the Midwest!
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #8
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 5514

About time we had a proper thread for Duluth. Thanks for starting it!
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #9
lancestar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Deegan View Post
About time we had a proper thread for Duluth. Thanks for starting it!
Yea no problem, even though I don't live there I think it be nice to keep up to date what is going on in our state. Also according to This News Report Duluth is experiencing a development boom they havn't seen in recent years.

Quote:
Among major new projects that are part of the building boom in the city include the Maurices tower, Duluth Transit Authority’s transportation hub, the Duluth International Airport’s parking ramp and several new Kwik Trip gas stations.
I don't think this thread will be extremely popular but I think it would be nice to keep track of the local development in Duluth. Considering it's a much smaller city than where I'm from it should be rather easy to keep track of the major projects.

Plus I think it be fun to learn more about what type of urban community Duluth has already and what it will look like in the future! I mean if we are talking about building a HSR (NLX) from Minneapolis to Duluth then we should have an educational thread where we can learn more about where that train will eventually go to! That way we will make sure to have a good excuse to be 1st in line when NLX opens
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #10
lancestar2

A great video of the installation of the skywalk and talking about the project is HERE

Also a link to the grand opening of the skywalk and parking ramp can be viewed from HERE

oh and here is some pix of the new Duluth Airport Parking ramp.

It may not be ground breaking news but these small convinces really help develop a great community IMO. To bad they lost a few non-stop flights, hopefully they can attract a lot more traffic with the new addition!
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #11
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5260

Twitpic from Jonathan Weinhagen (vice pres of SPACC) "Great view of @McGoughCompany crane at @maurices site in @cityofduluth this morning!"

lancestar2 liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #12
lancestar2

Duluth Looks for state help in the expansion of the Cirrus company

Also here is a link to the biggest employers in Duluth can be found HERE Which Cirrus is currently number 8 with 992 employees.

The existing location of the workspace is at the Duluth Airport about 7 miles outside of downtown, and I wanted to post a bit about the transit in the Twin Port area.

A direct link to the transit map can be found HERE

Also I found a really great file about ALL the Minnesota transit authorities!

It lists them all and that link can be found HERE Granted it's a bit outdated (2011) but it's still pretty neat to see!!

2011 Public Transit Ridership numbers

Twin Cities Metropolitan Area 93,915,055
Duluth MN 3,081,791
St. Cloud MN 2,286,393 (Dial a ride service 134,541 additional)
Rochester MN 1,645,272
Moorhead MN (Fargo area) 432,703
Mankato MN 363,401
Winona MN 251,721
Alexandria MN 161,891

Which means that Duluth is the biggest public transit metro in Minnesota outside of the Twin Cities! Well as of 2011 at least couldn't find any newer information.

Also on a side not pretty neat to see even in rural cities some type of public bus systems exist!

ploppalopp, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #13
TallBob

Likes (Received): 267

We used to say Duluth was "very small" working man's version of Seattle back in the '70's!

araman0, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #14
StoJa9
BANNED

Likes (Received): 274

I always found it puzzling how Duluth just stayed stagnant for the last 25 years at around 85,000 people. Where Rochester has gone from 57,000 to 110,000 in the same time period.

StoJa9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #15
CPAcs

Likes (Received): 157

Duluth is "where the Rust Belt began". Kinda hard to grow the population when you're in economic free fall. I believe there was once a billboard on the highway leading out of the city that said "Last one out of Duluth please turn off the lights".

CPAcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #16
lancestar2

Fleet Farm plans to build first location in the Duluth area.

Which will include funding for sidewalk installation on new road next to the proposed site.

Looking at Duluth I wonder if we would ever see any streetcar lines develop one from the Airport to downtown, and the other running through downtown Duluth along the lake. A lot of potential for a really nice urban community with a few minor upgrades.

ploppalopp, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #17
CPAcs

Likes (Received): 157

Great ideas about the streetcars! If we were willing to invest that much for Duluth mass transit those are the two lines I would start with myself. The first significant step will like be the NLX higher speed train coming to Superior and the Duluth depot, however. Therefor I would suggest the two lines meet at the Duluth depot or wherever NLX terminates for maximum connectivity. There's also the problem of getting streetcars up and over the hill, due to their lower traction, which is why the old streetcar network used an incline railway. If we're going off the walls here with unlimited money, I would instead suggest a gondola lift or metrocable style system.

But, there's one big problem with all this, and it's the real reason why Duluth has such great urban form and not much sprawl. Duluth isn't growing, at least to a noticeable degree. In fact, the entire Northeast Minnesota region has suffered economic and population decline since the 1980's as the US steel industry collapsed and the Mines dwindled. Now they face even greater challenges as the remaining population ages. Growth from seasonal tourism has softened the blow, but not by a lot. I don't think anything short of a Rochester DMC type effort will help the arrowhead regain it's prominence, which is why that's exactly what I would propose.

CPAcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #18
holmstar

Likes (Received): 175

I thought that there have been stories about a housing shortage in Duluth. If the population is shrinking then what's that about?

holmstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #19
lancestar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmstar View Post
I thought that there have been stories about a housing shortage in Duluth. If the population is shrinking then what's that about?
Yes, there is a shortage of low income housing in Duluth.

HERE is a story with a short video clip stating just that.

Old April 11th, 2015, 03:55 AM   #20
lancestar2

HERE is another news story about the Maurices new HQ in downtown Duluth MN. Sounds like they chain is expanding rapidly at about 50 new stores a year.

Also this is Duluth's largest project in it's history!

Quote:
“This is the largest downtown commercial development in Duluth’s history. We think it will be a catalyst for additional growth,”
WOW! Sounds like Duluth might be starting to see there own development boom if this project sparks further development! Heck could this mean that Another MN metro could be experiencing rapid growth. Maybe to soon to tell but it sounds exciting!

*EDIT*

Also HERE is a link to the construction company, as some more information is located there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement