VOTING Grasshoppers Zurich Stadium Competition! - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Stadium Design

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Vote your favourite project!
molacz 4 5.19%
Liverpudlian82 22 28.57%
MFJones 11 14.29%
marseille13 5 6.49%
ressy14 5 6.49%
brianjc 6 7.79%
sempe3 16 20.78%
ryanjmcconnell 5 6.49%
stefan2000 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1st, 2015, 08:24 PM   #1
stefan2000

Likes (Received): 225

VOTING Grasshoppers Zurich Stadium Competition!

Here is the voting thread for the Grasshoppers Zurich Stadium Competition!

1.molacz

2.Liverpudlian82

3.MFJones

4.marseille13

5.ressy14

6.brianjc

7.sempe3

8.ryanjmcconnell

9.stefan2000

GOOD LUCK!

giry liked this post

Last edited by stefan2000; March 2nd, 2015 at 09:42 PM.
stefan2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:49 PM   #2
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 446

Can I vote for all?

Truly amazing stadiums, thanks for making this so hard....Really....

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:29 PM   #3
stefan2000

Can everyone see brianjc's images? They are fine for me but not for him apparently.
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:32 PM   #4
ressy14

Likes (Received): 90

Good job everyone!

My favourite things in each entry are followings:
- molacz: presentation's design, section plans
- Liverpudlian: interior (mainly the lower tier's terrace & main stand), level of details, renders, informations
- MFJones: presentation, exterior, informations
- marseille13: level of details, detailed section plans, concourse renders
- brianjc: detailed interior renders, grasshopper themed facades
- sempe3: unique design, presentation, infosrmations, flythrough video (big like!)
- ryanjmcconnell: interior (especially the tiers' layout), night renders, pedestrian bridge
- stefan2000: main stand's facade, roof structure

I'm glad to see 9 participants. It's one of the biggest in this forum, isn't it?

ryanjmcconnell liked this post
ressy14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:45 PM   #5
stefan2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressy14 View Post
Good job everyone!

My favourite things in each entry are followings:
- molacz: presentation's design, section plans
- Liverpudlian: interior (mainly the lower tier's terrace & main stand), level of details, renders, informations
- MFJones: presentation, exterior, informations
- marseille13: level of details, detailed section plans, concourse renders
- brianjc: detailed interior renders, grasshopper themed facades
- sempe3: unique design, presentation, infosrmations, flythrough video (big like!)
- ryanjmcconnell: interior (especially the tiers' layout), night renders, pedestrian bridge
- stefan2000: main stand's facade, roof structure

I'm glad to see 9 participants. It's one of the biggest in this forum, isn't it?
The biggest
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:54 PM   #6
1887 Tyke

Likes (Received): 25

Really like all of the designs!

My vote has to go to Liverpublian though. Would love to know what rendering software @ryanjmcconnell used?

Shame I never got round to finishing my design but hopefully will for the next one!
1887 Tyke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:39 PM   #7
brianjc

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan2000 View Post
Can everyone see brianjc's images? They are fine for me but not for him apparently.
Well, I posted them again in the competition thread just in case.
I cant see them and someone else commented they couldnt see them neither in that thread too.

I guess someone is seeing them because I have three votes already!

Great job everybody! all designs look great!
brianjc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 06:44 PM   #8
ryanjmcconnell

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1887 Tyke View Post
Really like all of the designs!

My vote has to go to Liverpublian though. Would love to know what rendering software @ryanjmcconnell used?

Shame I never got round to finishing my design but hopefully will for the next one!
Maxwell for Sketchup

1887 Tyke liked this post
ryanjmcconnell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:35 PM   #9
sempe3

Likes (Received): 170

Wow, every presentation shows how much work every one of you have put into it. Surroundings, cross-sections, night renders, interiors and even laptops on the desks! If I had to pick three winners that would be MFJones, Liverpudlian82 and ryanjmcconnell.

MFJones for fitting the stadium nicely on the plot, making two nice town squares, for working with context of local architecture and very nice presentation (cross-sections, facades/elevations and nice post-processing on visualisations). I think my favourite one.

Liverpudlian82 - great attention to detail. Your stadium looks like it could be built straight away in real life. I really like how you made terraces on the lower tier. Very clean design - as always.

ryanjmcconnell - I like how the height of the roof differs (it’s lower behind the goals and higher along longer stands) - that creates nice effect. If your renders would have been little better I think you’d win straight away. Lovely night visualisation (last one) and the one with stairs! Must have cost you a lot of work.

It’s funny how everyone in this competition did the surrounding buildings in almost the same way

MFJones, ryanjmcconnell liked this post
sempe3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 03:57 PM   #10
ryanjmcconnell

Likes (Received): 63

First of all, how great was it to have 9 quality entries? A great job overall. A lot of time was spent on these and I think its only fair that each person gets some feedback. I'm in no way a professional but I hope you can all appreciate a little critique, I know I do.

molacz: I think a little more detail surrounding the stadium would have helped you out a lot. It just seems too barren. That night render shot looks fantastic, really shows off a great roofing system. 6/10

Liverpudlian82: Another beautiful design from you. The interior details really set this one apart from the rest (look at that net!) again, I think your surroundings are too empty. You have a lot more room on that plot of land. What real stadiums wouldn’t have anything there? 8/10

MFJones: The most artistic renders in this thing. One of the more unique rectangle stadium designs I’ve seen as well, works really well and I think it would blend in seamlessly with its surroundings IRL. I would have liked to have seen more detail in the actual model of the stadium and some details showing that it truly Grasshoppers home. 6/10

marseille13: Very detailed! You know who is playing in this place. Interior is very well done. The facade is a bit busy for me with all the squiggles and I think the roof and supports could look better. The exterior of this stadium just doesn’t do it for me. 6/10

ressy14: The section cuts of the pieces of the stadium are awesome. It does a great job of showing off design and details. Interesting idea combining raised walkways and parking areas in the same space outside of the stadium. Where this one falls short for me is the stadium seems pretty generic. Nothing really pops out when you look at it as a whole. Also, those office buildings don’t help your final renders. If you are going to add them, or anything for that matter, into your final presentation in the future I think should actually design and detail them. Not just simply draw a shape and extrude. 5/10

brianjc: Very unique idea using the grasshopper legs surrounding the stadium. I commend you for being so bold, however, it just doesn’t really work for me. Maybe rather than making them one solid object you could have used the same shape but just used its “skeleton” of the structure to make it blend in more with the roof structure. I love all details you put into each section of the stadium from chairs to couches to cameras to the bar and restaurant! I can appreciate all the work that went into the actual stadium seats but the final effect for me is like looking at an ugly Christmas sweater. A bit too busy for me in the end overall. 6/10

sempe3: A simply stunning exterior and presentation. Those first two pics are outstanding. The stadium both blends into and stands out from its surroundings and that fly through is awesome to help visualize. Really my only critique is that the interior could be more detailed and represented through the presentation. There is only one interior render and it’s basically all the same concrete texture throughout. I would have loved to see more pics of the actual inside design of the stadium, the fly through touches on it but I would have really liked to have seen more to really understand the whole concept. 8/10

stefan2000: The interior and overall shape of the stadium seems pretty standard to be honest. Where this one stands out is the exterior details. Love the idea of that sunken stretch full of possible retail, etc. the front entrance is pretty fantastic but I would have liked to have seen that level of detail surrounding the rest of the facade rather than just gray space. 6/10

As for myself, and I’m not making excuses, but this was the first time I’ve really gotten into rendering through Sketchup. I decided to buy Maxwell and overall am pretty pleased with the results. Most of these renders took about 8 hours to complete at a sample level of 20. Personally I think that this is a bit high and there really is no excuse that some of the renders came out a bit grainy. Not sure if this was based simply on model size or what but I will keep playing with it. I thought my design was solid and all the little details added to the overall effect. There is always room to improve but I think it’s going to be tough to top that last pic in the presentation.

Thanks for your kind words and it was really great to see so many quality entries. I can’t wait to get started on the next one whenever that may be.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Leedsrule

Likes (Received): 608

Amazing. The standard in this competition is higher than ever and i'm not exaggerating when I say any one of these entries could win and of the previous competitions. I think the standard is closer than ever as well with everyone producing a professional looking presentation with realistic designs and renders. Worth the wait. I really am genuinely impressed

Also congrats on getting it on Stadium DB, and has anyone approached the Grasshoppers fan forum? I think they would be very interested in voting and perhaps sharing their opinions as fans. In fact I think you might be able to get someone from the club to notice it and get involved, and it'd be great for you guys to get some publicity and recognition for these.

Also, Congratulations Stefan for organising such a successful competition

Molacz, interesting design, I like the block of Skyboxes but i'm not as keen on the height of the first row above the pitch. I like the use of the land, with covered parking and shopping centre but I think the exterior above could've been more detailed. Also, nice renders
Liverpudlian, brilliant renders and lots of detail, like usual. But the bowl isn't as good as i expected, i think there are some restricted views in the main stand at the back, and the exterior is pretty plain. I think your reputation precedes you though and the quality of your presentation will make you hard to beat
MF Jones, that ariel shot on slide 01 is just incredible, it looks so good and the your 'visualisation' renders, too, are excellent. I'm not sure if the stadium is detailed enough and it seems youve focussed on a good looking, arty presentation as opposed to a technical one, but i also like how you really thought about the architectural style.
Marseille, I really like that first render- the dugouts for example are very well made. Imo this is your best work so far and i cant wait to see what you produce after this. I think you could improve the connection from the stands to the roof, especially in the corners.The renders though, for example the cross sections, look very professional.
Ressy, In terms of the exterior and shape it's actually my favourite- it might be fairly simple but its very neat. Of course it's very technical as well, I think i'll vote for it
Brianjc, Although i'm not keen on the solid blue 'legs', i'm glad you made an effort to make something unique to the club. The seating plan is flawless (teach me?!) and the renders are very good, but you'll learn about the technical details and dimensions which could improve the realism of the interior.
Sempe3, I don't know where to start, one of the most awesome designs ever created on this forum, matched with an excellent presentation. Its hard to find criticisms too, although it would've been nice to see more of the inside, and that concrete texture looks unusual under the stands. But honestly, it really is awesome so congrats
Ryanjmcconnell, I think this is your best so far as well, and I cant wait to see your next design. Rendering in Maxwell isn't seen much so it was refreshing to have a new look, but simply brightening up some of the renders would have gone a long way. The final night shot is brilliant, and i like the concrete car
Stefan2000, The design reminds me of a 2006 WC stadium, but is perhaps a bit plain and outdated now? The renders are good and no-one can expect you to pay for Thea, but interior details such as checking the views of sitting spectators in the corner of the terrace, and making sure everyone is quite near an exit, will improve the design. I love the exterior in the last slide, with the two levels, looks good

Everyone did an outstanding job and i cant wait to see who wins

Good luck everyone!

ryanjmcconnell, ressy14, sempe3 liked this post
Leedsrule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:16 PM   #12
stefan2000

Wow, I didn't even saw it appeared on StadiumDB! I'm glad to see that
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:40 PM   #13
molacz

Likes (Received): 17

ressy14, ryanjmcconnell, Leedsrule
Thanks for your opinion.

Ryanjmcconnell , Leedsrule – you’re right but I have old computer, this is not good for the render. This is my first international competition on ssc, the next competition will be that it looks better. Skybox similar to the Arena Lviv Night render is good -16 hours :P
molacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:48 PM   #14
MFJones

Likes (Received): 136

my apsolute favourite is the stadium by sempe3.
not only has he found the perfect combination between the styles (something I was trying to do), but he also found the the right amount of minimalism in his design.
how minimalistic do you go? thats the hardest thing to solve when you choose minimalism for your project, and he solved it perfectly.

My second favourite one would be brianjc's stadium. The thing I love about it is the grasshopper's body idea. But altough the idea is awesome, the execution could've been a bit better. Instead of the details you've put in the model, you could've worked places around the stadium a bit. Sometimes less means more, for example, you don't need 4 types of seats. If you made all the seats the same colour, They wouldn't be so distracting and people could focus on design more.

Everyone else, except Ryanjmcconell (my 3rd favourite), made practically the same stadium with some minor facade, and seat colour changes, and better or worse renders. Guys, give yourself some freedom!

Leedsrule, ryanjmcconnell, sempe3 liked this post
MFJones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #15
Djomlasti

Likes (Received): 99

Okay, so first of all, great competition, great designs, more than I expected for sure.

molacz - I like the roof, and those parking entrances.
Liverpudlian82 - I really like roof and the facade, they are amazing, but I am honestly disappointed with the interior, I expected more from you.
MFJones - Interesting renders, but I don't like the design at all.
marseille13 - The best interior in this competition for sure, I like your style (we have similar styles tho), but the facade is really bad imo.
ressy14 - I like the roof, facade and parking.
brianjc - Very good amount of details in skyboxes etc but seat pattern and colour of the stairs, for example are stuff that makes your design look bad in my head.
sempe3 - Absolutely the best roof/facade in this competition, I would vote for you if you gave us some more renders of interior, I can't quite see how good or bad you made it.
ryanjmcconnell - I like how ends behind goals look, but on the longer sides, there is a big gap between tiers, which I don't like.
stefan2000 - Your interior is okay but there are stuff that I really don't like about it, roof is cool.

So, interior - marseille13, facade/roof - sempe3

I voted for marseille13, I am all about interior, and that's the reason I voted for him even though I don't like facade at all. If sempe3 made some better renders of interior, I would probably vote for him.

I am really sorry I didn't send my design, I actually finished it, but no one told me that I don't really have to do exterior, 4 of you had basically one coloured plot.
If I knew that I can send it without exterior, I would send it.
I am a little bit bored, because I worked so hard on this design, but next time we do a competition, someone please inform me how detailed surroundings should be.
Regards, Djomlasti.

molacz, sempe3 liked this post
Djomlasti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #16
Prince Valium

Likes (Received): 31

Sempe3, this is by far one of the best stadium designs I saw!

this is mouthwatering...I would love to see such a stadium in my home-city!

but unfortunately, I am sure, that this will never happen, since the neighbours wouldn't like that, because its too crazy...ah what am I saying..they don't like every stadium proposal...

sempe3 liked this post
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #17
stefan2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djomlasti View Post
Okay, so first of all, great competition, great designs, more than I expected for sure.

molacz - I like the roof, and those parking entrances.
Liverpudlian82 - I really like roof and the facade, they are amazing, but I am honestly disappointed with the interior, I expected more from you.
MFJones - Interesting renders, but I don't like the design at all.
marseille13 - The best interior in this competition for sure, I like your style (we have similar styles tho), but the facade is really bad imo.
ressy14 - I like the roof, facade and parking.
brianjc - Very good amount of details in skyboxes etc but seat pattern and colour of the stairs, for example are stuff that makes your design look bad in my head.
sempe3 - Absolutely the best roof/facade in this competition, I would vote for you if you gave us some more renders of interior, I can't quite see how good or bad you made it.
ryanjmcconnell - I like how ends behind goals look, but on the longer sides, there is a big gap between tiers, which I don't like.
stefan2000 - Your interior is okay but there are stuff that I really don't like about it, roof is cool.

So, interior - marseille13, facade/roof - sempe3

I voted for marseille13, I am all about interior, and that's the reason I voted for him even though I don't like facade at all. If sempe3 made some better renders of interior, I would probably vote for him.

I am really sorry I didn't send my design, I actually finished it, but no one told me that I don't really have to do exterior, 4 of you had basically one coloured plot.
If I knew that I can send it without exterior, I would send it.
I am a little bit bored, because I worked so hard on this design, but next time we do a competition, someone please inform me how detailed surroundings should be.
Regards, Djomlasti.
You can post it on Stadium Presentation thread.
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Leedsrule

Likes (Received): 608

When does voting close and when is the winner accounced?

Edit: Cheers, I was looking for it in the first post.

Last edited by Leedsrule; March 5th, 2015 at 01:08 PM.
Leedsrule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #19
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

Likes (Received): 446

Look at the top of the site (above poll panel)

"This poll will close on March 31st, 2015 at 09:27 PM"

See you in 2019 in Brazil for #sdc5!

Leedsrule liked this post

Last edited by MaTTiC; March 5th, 2015 at 08:36 PM.
MaTTiC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #20
stefan2000

What render did you guys used?
Advertisement