King's Stables Road | Old Town | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Edinburgh

Edinburgh Architecture in and around Scotland's capital.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #1
Kenspeckle

Likes (Received): 4522

King's Stables Road | Old Town | U/C

Location: King's Stables Road / King's Stables Lane, West Port

Project value: ---

Developer: Peveril Securities & Campus Development Management

Architects: ---

1.3 acre site redeveloped to provide a hotel, private residential and student accommodation, an arts café complex and artisans’ workshops

Current Status: Pre-planning

Current site description from RCAHMS:

Quote:
A series of former stables and mews buildings, much altered, now roughly on an L-plan, along King Stables Lane and Lady Wynd. The fronting building to King Stables Road mostly modern replacement. Mostly one and two storey in height with a wide variety of roof and wall finishes. All buildings are accessed from the communal internal courtyard (to which access is now blocked).

The Grassmarket area of Edinburgh was once home to industries such as tanneries, the Edinburgh Horse Bazaar, slaughter houses and cattle market. Of the current buildings, a U-shaped section to the west, bordering Baird's Close, with the back section running along part of King Stables Lane, would seem to appear on the Edinburgh and Leith Great Reform Act Plans of 1832. The OS Large Scale Scottish Town plan of Edinburgh, 1852, shows the most western section, now with buildings fronting King Stables Road to create an inner courtyard accessed by pend, noted as a disused slaughter house. A complex of buildings appears fronting onto King Stables Road to the junction with Lady Wynd. The 1877 version notes the courtyard as Police Yard.

The site was latterly used by Edinburgh City Council for the lighting and cleansing departments.

Kenspeckle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #2
Kenspeckle

This sounds as if the developers intend to replace all the current buildings on the site. I don't think any are listed but some of the old workshops date from at least the 1830s, possibly earlier. It would be a shame to see them demolished rather than redeveloped.

Still no suggestion as to which architectural practice will be taking this on, though given the track record with Peveril (3-8 St Andrew Sq), you'd imagine Gareth Hoskins must be in the running.

King’s Stables Road cultural vision

Invest Edinburgh - 16th March, 2015

Quote:
A neglected corner of Edinburgh’s Grassmarket is to be regenerated to form part of a new ‘cultural quarter’. Ralph Jones, Head of Development at Peveril Securities, explains more…

What's the background to this site?

With its buildings dating from the 18th/19th centuries up to the 1960s, the site at King’s Stables Road has had a variety of uses over the years, including offices, storage, stables and workshop space.

It was latterly used by the City of Edinburgh Council as its street and cleansing depot and has lain vacant since 2009. It was put on the market last year by the council, who deemed the site surplus to requirements.

What are the key features of the proposed development?

Our proposed major mixed-use development replacing the current buildings – planning permission permitting – will include a hotel, one and two bedroom flats, student accommodation, an arts café complex and artisans’ workshops.

The development will accommodate and promote a variety of employment uses and will complement the council’s wider aspirations for a new cultural quarter on the site of Argyle House, and the linking of Castle Terrace with the Grassmarket and West Port.

In line with this, the Hidden Door festival – which provides a unique mix of visual art, music, theatre, dance and cinema – has expressed an interest in using this venue at the end of May. We are delighted to offer this, pending discussions between the festival and City of Edinburgh Council.

We are highly sensitive to the fact that the site is within the UNESCO World Heritage site boundary and, as we work our way through the planning process, look forward to meeting with the local community and working with them to shape our proposals.

Who's behind it and why are they investing in Edinburgh?

The proposed redevelopment will be taken forward by a joint venture between Peveril Securities – the development arm of the Bowmer and Kirkland Group – and Campus Development Management.

Peveril Securities is already currently active in the capital, working with Standard Life on a development in St Andrew Square to deliver office, retail and residential. This is due to be completed in June 2016.

This is clearly a great opportunity to regenerate a currently much neglected corner of the Grassmarket through the delivery of a prime mixed-use scheme.

Why is this development important?

King's Stables Road lies within the Unesco World Heritage site boundary.
This site has lain derelict for a number of years, with the buildings naturally degrading. Regeneration will therefore breathe new life into this part of the Grassmarket, delivering a landmark development.

It will also bring a vibrant mix of uses to the area and form part of the council’s aspirations for a new cultural quarter.

In addition, the development forms part of the Edinburgh 12, a dozen key strategic sites across the city that the council has identified as crucial in delivering transformational change for Edinburgh’s economy.

So this is not only great news for this part of the Grassmarket, but also demonstrates Edinburgh as being an attractive place for inward investment.

- See more at: http://www.investinedinburgh.com/inv....CLDCIM8Z.dpuf
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Kenspeckle

Edinburgh’s Old Town set for a new hotel

Hospitality & Catering News - 20th April, 2015

Quote:
Developers of a vacant site at King’s Stable Road, the city’s historic Grassmarket, have announced plans for a 125 to 150 room establishment.

The hotel forms a significant part of a larger mixed-use development which will include one and two bedroom flats, student accommodation, an arts café complex and artisans’ workshops.

Reflecting its location the hotel has been specifically designed in order to capture the history and character of the Grassmarket area, as well as complementing City of Edinburgh Council’s wider aspirations for a new cultural quarter

The hotel will provide somewhere between 125 and 150 rooms, feature an exclusive courtyard and boasts the unique feature of being situated immediately below Edinburgh Castle, providing spectacular views. It also provides direct pedestrian access to the Grassmarket and Edinburgh College of Art.

Having lain vacant since 2009, the proposed redevelopment of the buildings on King’s Stables Road, will be taken forward by a joint venture between Peveril Securities – the development arm of the Bowmer and Kirkland Group – and Campus Development Management.

Jeremy Collins of Jenics, hotel adviser to the developers said:

“It is fair to say we have been inundated with enquiries and are in discussions, albeit at an early stage, with a number of operators, given the King’s Stables Road site is one of the last few prime pieces of hotel real estate within the City.”

Ralph Jones, Head of Development at Peveril Securities added:

“This is a corner of the Grassmarket which has lain vacant and neglected for many years. Our project aims to breathe new life into area and bring visitors to an often overlooked part of the city, of which the hotel will form a key element.

“Through Jenics we are currently in the early stages of discussion with a number of potential hoteliers and parallel to this are working our way through the planning process, meeting with the local community to get their input into this exciting project.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Kenspeckle

PAN submitted.

15/01936/PAN | Mixed use development including flats, student accommodation, hotel and arts facility. | 6, 8, 13, 15, 18-20, 21, 28 King's Stables Road 2 Lady Wynd Edinburgh EH1 2JY

First public exhibition scheduled for June.
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #5
madboy

Likes (Received): 175

Oh well! So much for the arts quarter idea.

I think this is a bit of missed opportunity to not include Argyle House in the development. That building HAS TO GO!

Moschops liked this post
madboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Kenspeckle

King's Stables Road is playing host to the Hidden Door Festival from today.

Old June 17th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #7
Kenspeckle

I went along to the public consultation earlier and took a few photos.

1. Student housing, 2. Hotel, 3. Artisan studios & housing, 4. Arts cafe

Massing studies

Access

Model

Things I picked up:

The project architects are Fletcher Joseph.

Very few of the current buildings would be retained. Only the Victorian tenement block on King's Stables Road (which I thought was outwith the development but apparently not - or maybe they're just developing the ground floor?) and a section of the southern boundary wall (pre 1830s) would remain. Apart from that wall, the southern workshops would be demolished but the replacement would roughly follow the form of the existing buildings, with that eastern end of the courtyard preserved.

There were no details on the number of residential units but, as you can see from the images above, it looks like a lot of student housing and relatively little non-student housing.

Two new N-S pedestrian links from KSR to West Port would be created through the site.

Proposals for public realm improvements in the wider area, from the Castle Terrace car park to the Grassmarket, including narrowing KSR, broader pavements with pavement cafés, shared surfaces, creating new pedestrian links from KSR to Johnston Terrace. Looked great though pretty much all of the land is owned by the council so presumably they'd be relying on them to fund and carry out these works.

I asked if they knew anything about the longterm plans for Argyle House next door. They didn't, though gave the impression the council would love to see it redeveloped but since it's in private ownership there's not much CEC can do. I think the current scheme is basically trying to pretend Argyle House isn't there (and hopefully one day it won't be), scaling the development to match the other neighbouring buildings.

There will be a second public consultation in September presenting more detailed proposals with a view to submitting a full planning application in October.

This public consultation will run again tomorrow 3pm-8pm at 6 - 28 King's Stables Road.

Moschops liked this post
Old September 30th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Kenspeckle

According to the Edinburgh 12 September Bulletin (pdf), there will be a second public exhibition in October - I haven't been able to find a precise date - with the planning application expected in November.
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #9
hifive605

Likes (Received): 459

yeah that dirty great slab is bound to go one day (fingers crossed)
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:35 PM   #10
Dee-lightful

Likes (Received): 65

I'm a little disappointed that: a) there isn't more redevelopment of the stables (are they too far gone??); and b) that there is such a high proportion of student accomodation.

Thoughts on the development Ken?
Dee-lightful no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-lightful View Post
I'm a little disappointed that: a) there isn't more redevelopment of the stables (are they too far gone??); and b) that there is such a high proportion of student accomodation.

Thoughts on the development Ken?
I'll be interested to see how things have developed at the next public exhibition, though I've still not been able to confirm when that's happening.

Based on the initial plans, I was also disappointed to see some of the existing buildings lost. I'm sure the stables/workshops could be converted as you suggest, and it seems like a missed opportunity since they were proposing replacing it with a new-build of exactly same footprint and massing which will incorporate the existing rear/south wall. I don't object to some student housing on the site, especially given the proximity to ECA, but I'd like to have seen a greater mix, with a higher proportion of affordable and private housing. On the positive side, I liked the plan to open up pedestrian connections across the site from KSR to West Port, and a King's Stables Road frontage activated with a few shops and cafés plus the proposed public realm improvements should transform what it is at present a pretty unfriendly area. As ever, a lot of it will come down to design choices, detailing and finishes. Fletcher Joseph Architects don't exactly fill me with confidence or excitement in that regard, but it would be unfair to prejudge.

My biggest regret is still that there's no overall masterplan for the wider West Port site, including Argyle House.
Old October 24th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Kenspeckle

Second Public Exhibition for King’s Stables Road this coming week - Thursday 29th October from 12pm to 8pm at the site.
Old October 29th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #13
Kenspeckle

I went along to the public consultation earlier. The biggest change from last time is the expansion of the site to include the old tyre depot, currently the Silk Nightclub, which will be replaced with a second block of student accommodation. The quantum of student residential development apparently remains the same at 250 rooms, but adding this new block has allowed them to reduce the height of the main student building. A café facing King's Stables Road is proposed in the ground floor of the smaller student residential block.

The ground floor of the Victorian tenement fronting King's Stables Road will be redeveloped for retail or restaurant use with current residential use on the upper floors remaining unchanged. Together with the ground floor of the adjacent new hotel building, I think there will be at least three retail/f&b units fronting KSR, though it looks like they could potentially be divided up further if required.

The hotel looks as if it has a smaller footprint than it did previously. It will be around 100 rooms and the developers said they're in discussions with four potential operators, none of whom are budget chains.

The south side of the courtyard, which I think was previously to be part of the hotel, is now residential, but, as before, the massing remains similar to the existing workshop buildings. The upper floors of the new "arts building" at the eastern end of the courtyard will also be residential, bringing a total of 28 residential units across the site, 7 of which will be affordable. The lower two floors of this building will be arts related - studios, gallery space and an "arts café" were suggested as possible uses, but it all seemed a bit vague and I suspect this might just be a way for the developers to tick a box for cultural uses.

Pedestrian links across the site still look very promising, with an upgraded Lady Wynd and two existing but currently closed connections off West Port being reopened and linked to new pedestrian routes to King's Stables Road.

I was told the detailed design for the individual buildings is still ongoing but there were quite a few images shown. My main impression was that it looked very "safe" and rather boring, at least the main frontage facing KSR, following the current fad for planning-friendly sandstone boxes, with setback zinc clad upper storeys, and flat "green" roofs, though there was the suggestion of timber on some of the courtyard elevations which could work well. Overall, it seemed designed not to offend as much as anything and I found it a bit disappointing, especially in the view from the Castle esplanade where the blockiness seems very evident. As with the emerging New Waverley buildings, I feel it's crying out for some gables and pitched or mono-pitched slate roofs to help it better sit within the Old Town. Not a disaster, but seems like a missed opportunity.

There was an intriguing image of the development set within a wider masterplan showing a redeveloped Argyle House/West Port site. When I asked about this, one of developers joked that Argyle House would still be there in fifty years, at least I think he was joking. They did confirm that it's current popularity as office space and the owner's total reluctance to do anything with the building mean it's not going anywhere in the short term. However, they also mentioned that they've heard the council will be putting the Castle Terrace car park further down King's Stables Road on the market very soon, possibly within the next 6-12 months.

Timescale wise, they hope to submit a full planning application by the end of November and target construction to be complete within 18 months of approval being granted.

Last edited by Kenspeckle; October 31st, 2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Kenspeckle

UR's piece on yesterday's consultation.

King’s Stables Road consultation outlines latest thinking

Urban Realm - 30th October, 2015

Quote:
Peveril Securities have outlined their latest thinking behind their mixed use proposals for Edinburgh’s Kings Stables Road, calling for the creation of new homes, student housing and a hotel on the site of a former stables.

Architects Fletcher Joseph will seek to frame views of the Castle by re-establishing historic building lines whilst creating an active street frontage along King’s Stables Road itself.

Buildings will be arranged around a series of courtyards and closes to enhance permeability with consideration given to the likely future demolition of Argyle House to form part of a wider master plan.

Key changes since the initial application include incorporation of Silk nightclub to the master plan area, enabling a reduction in overall massing and an extension to the central courtyard.

In their consultation document the architects note: “Roof heights and rooflines are created which mediate and respond to the context of tenement scale buildings on West Port, Lady Lawson St, Castle Terrace and the buildings on King’s Stables Road.

“They deliver a varied roofline in keeping with the ad-hoc variety of the Old Town.”

A full planning application is expected by late November.

Last edited by Kenspeckle; October 31st, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old October 30th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #15
hifive605

Likes (Received): 459

^ mm pretty standard 'modern edinburgh' machine cut sandstone architecture - but its decent quality
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #16
dadabouttown

Likes (Received): 878

Had a scoot around briefly for examples of Fletcher Joseph projects and they do seem to have a few sandstone examples that have a bit more detailing and thought than these renders. It's not beyond them to create something better than the initial images - and hopefully the planners and they head in that direction. I agree with Kenspeckles and others comments re New Waverley that roofscape and 'irregularity' are areas that characterise the old town and help buildings avoid a jarring boxiness effect.
dadabouttown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 09:52 PM   #17
Kenspeckle

There's a website up for the development. Not much content at present but the exhibition boards from both public consultations are available to download. I've deleted the crappy photos from the exhibition I posted upthread and captured some better quality versions and a few new ones, plus a little detail from the design statement.

Quote:
KEY UPDATES

1. Proposals to include nightclub site allowing for reduction in overall mass of development and removal of major cause of anti-social behaviour in the vicinity of the site.

2. 28 residential units including 25% affordable accommodation and re-orientation of housing block to reduce impact on adjacent properties such as Portsburgh Court, Lady Wynd and Websters Land.

3. Extend central courtyard providing increased amenity and improved setting for existing tenement.

4. Improved access to King's Stables Lane including increased refuse solution and appropriate street lighting for new and existing residents.

5. Mews form to be wholly retained and hotel set further into site to reduce impact on adjacent buildings and creating better setting for retained tenement.

6. New public realm opportunity at the foot of King's Bridge.

7. Art facility set over two levels beneath updated housing.

8. Increased activation to King's Stables Road.

Quote:
DESIGN SOLUTIONS

A - CHARACTER

The existing site shows characteristics of the Old Town at whose western edge the site sits.
Tight closes and pends between buildings frame slender views primarily following the north/ south orientation.
What is particular here is pronounced vertical vistas of the castle, cliffs, grannies green and street below.
The Multi-level nature of the area is relected in terraces, courtyards and gardens stepping up and outward from the valley topography of the site e.g. Castle Terrace, Johnston Terrace, Grannies Green to the north and Webster’s Land, Portsburgh Square and Westport Community Garden to the south.
Opportunities for viewing and fairly open aspect to the south are relected in areas of organic growth and inhabitation- most notably on rooftop terraces adjacent to the east end of the site.
Natural materials are obvious across the site with stone setts the existing surface at Lady Wynd and most of Kings Stable Lane. Concrete paving has been used on the pavement along Kings Stables Road and tarmac to the roadway.
In the large existing courtyard, sets are prevalent and signs of industrial heritage exist in the organisation of groundscape and ground based features.
The proposal works hard to not only support these existing qualities but to enhance and strengthen the character of urban realm and external space that can be discovered in the Old Town.
Existing closes are maintained and two new pends introduced that extend through the site.
External active space will exist not only at ground level but also extend to roofscape as varied and active amenity.
Groundscape will improve through signiicant replacement or relaying of existing surfaces. The relatively narrow Kings Stables Road pavement will be widened and re-laid to provide greater functionality and improved amenity.
Materials will be appropriate and new interventions complimentary to clearly state a measured and confident development.

B - CONNECTION

In the N/S orientation, Lady Wynd offers through connection from Westport to Kings Stables Road while Bairds Close provides connection from KSR to Kings Stable Lane only. Chapel Wynd offers visual connection but no though route and a visual connection exists between Argyle House and West port tenements. Kings Stables Lanes runs East / West and connects Lady Wynd to Bairds Close.
Visual amenity is maintained and increased visual and physical connection introduced with public access through new courtyards at the Arts facility and Hotel.

C - STREET FRONT AND PUBLIC SPACE

The existing King Stables Road has little or no activity at ground level with the street comprising unoccupied, derelict and night use [nightclub] activity from west to east. Whilst Kings Stables Lane is a public route it has no ‘street front’ activity beyond an open fronted public carpark. There are no discernible public spaces on the site.
Kings Stables Road will be re-activated through a sequence of ‘retail’ [restaurant, hotel entrance and café] outlets that will provide amenity to residents and draw people as destination beyond The Grass market.
A new public space will be created at Kings Square with the Kings Bridge given more prominence and visual connection between Kings Bridge and the street below enhanced to improve footfall from upper to lower street level.
A sequence of public courtyards will be developed in harmony with the Old Town typology of interconnected closes and discovered courtyard spaces;
The Main Courtyard will become a multi-functional space for eating, socialising or relaxing as resident or visitor-proportionally unique, it will naturally extend from hotel or art space and as an outdoor amenity space to new mews houses.
A new smaller courtyard will be activated by the hotel facilities and be a new discovered place in the neighbourhood with dynamic view of the castle.
Student Courtyard - this will be a space for private student access with public access adjacent and secondary viewing into the green space.

APro liked this post
Old November 24th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #18
Kenspeckle

Hidden Doors to return to King’s Stables Rd depot

Edinburgh Evening News - 24th November, 2015

Quote:
It's the popular city arts event known for its unusual exhibitions and cutting-edge installations.

Now Hidden Door Festival has been given the go-ahead to take over a disused council depot for a second year.

The week-long showcase, which features work from a range of upcoming Scottish artists, will transform the old street-lighting and cleansing depot on King’s Stables Road into a vibrant cultural wonderland over the course of late May and June next year.

Earlier this summer the sprawling complex was put to use as exhibition rooms, two theatres, two live music venues, a cinema and three bars – with events running into the night.

But organisers had feared the festival would be their last on the unusual site after the plot was earmarked for development.

Developer Peveril bought the land from the council in February – with plans to build a hotel, student flats and “arts complex”. But with work not set to begin on site until autumn next year, Hidden Door has been given the chance to stage the arts extravaganza in the unique buildings one last time.

David Martin, Hidden Door’s creative director, said: “At the time of this year’s festival we never thought this would be an option, as we were led to believe to site would be undergoing development shortly after we moved out. But when we were told it would still be available, we leaped at the chance.

“It’s such a fantastic venue, and the opportunity to use it one last time is too good to pass up.”

Tucked under the shadow of Edinburgh Castle, the unique 18th century site boasts a labyrinth of buildings, nooks and crannies – complete with a secret courtyard at its centre.

It has lain completely empty since 2009, with the original roads depot ceasing to exist in the 1960s.

The 2016 Hidden Door Festival will feature 40 new artists, six nights of live music and 12 theatre companies – as well as programmes of live poetry and film. Applications to get involved are open until November 29. A series of talks and discussions on issues surrounding the development of city centre sites such as King’s Stables Road are also scheduled.

Councillor Richard Lewis, the city’s festivals and events champion, said: “We will welcome the Hidden Door Festival back to Edinburgh next year. Any enterprise that promotes access to the arts in Edinburgh is warmly received. Pop-up exhibitions can be a great way to showcase live music, art, film and spoken word and the council has accommodated a number of temporary installations and pop-ups.”

Jonny Kinross, chair of the Greater Grassmarket Business Improvement District, added: “Last year’s Hidden Door Festival was a huge success and we are delighted that this popular festival will be returning to King’s Stables Road for a second year running in May and June 2016.”

Hidden Door was previously held in the Market Street Vaults and attracts thousands of people every year with its offer of art, shows and events – each tailored to the space in which they are performed.

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...#ixzz3sQ6rv0ee
Old December 21st, 2015, 04:34 PM   #19
Kenspeckle

Full planning application submitted by Fletcher Joseph Associates for Peveril Securities & Campus DM - hotel (128 rooms), student accommodation (245 rooms across 2 blocks), 14 studio flats, 6 one bedroom flats, 8 two bedroom flats, 5 retail units (though 2 are potential hotel use) and an arts facility (studio/gallery/café space)

15/05715/FUL | Mixed use development comprising flats, student accommodation, hotel, arts facility and class 1, 2 and 3 uses, involving the erection of new buildings, alteration of existing buildings, partial demolition and change of use of ground floor of existing tenement building | 6, 8, 13, 15, 18-20, 21, 28 King's Stables Road 2 Lady Wynd Edinburgh EH1 2JY

KSR masterplan in context of the wider development brief - looks like they've used, at least in part, Oliver Chapman Architects' speculative proposal replacing Argyle House with a cultural hub, featuring a new home for the SCO and a relocated Filmhouse/Traverse Theatre.

Public realm proposals

King's Stables Road existing residential (new ground floor retail) elevation

King's Stables Road hotel elevation

King's Stables Road student accommodation block 1 elevation

King's Stables Road student accommodation block 2 elevation

Courtyard mews residential elevation

Courtyard arts facility/residential elevation

Images from the visual impact analysis

APro liked this post
Old December 21st, 2015, 09:34 PM   #20
The_Boy

Likes (Received): 27

28 households who presumably won't be looking for an early night?

I'll be sad to see that block go, though - misspent youth in the club at the bottom of the road, and some of the back alleys worked as a nice little cut through/public facility.
The_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: