Edinburgh Park Southern Expansion - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Edinburgh

Edinburgh Architecture in and around Scotland's capital.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Haddington

Likes (Received): 4

Edinburgh Park Southern Expansion

Has anyone heard any rumours recently on this?

Reason I ask is that I work in Edinburgh Park North (the existing bit) and I usually go for a lunchtime walk round Edinburgh Park South (Wasteland save for the Premier Inn). Over the last few days groups of men have arrived in Land Rovers from a company called Raeburn and begun drilling into the ground at seemingly random locations.

I've no idea what the purpose of the drilling is however it is good to see something happening here. Whatever it is.
Haddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Kenspeckle

Likes (Received): 4560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddington View Post
Has anyone heard any rumours recently on this?

Reason I ask is that I work in Edinburgh Park North (the existing bit) and I usually go for a lunchtime walk round Edinburgh Park South (Wasteland save for the Premier Inn). Over the last few days groups of men have arrived in Land Rovers from a company called Raeburn and begun drilling into the ground at seemingly random locations.

I've no idea what the purpose of the drilling is however it is good to see something happening here. Whatever it is.
I know there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes. This is from a couple of months ago:

Quote:
A revised masterplan from the new owners of the 48 acre site, Parabola, and designed by London practice, Dixon Jones, is imminent. Just like the proposed International Business Gateway, it will be office-led but mixed-use, with residential, retail, leisure components, and potentially exhibition/conference facilities. They are also allegedly exploring a cultural component with some sort of multi-arts/performance venue. The developers hope to have the first phase complete by summer 2017.
I still expect they'll submit a PAN soon.

The Local Development Plan recommended the site for 450-700 homes, so it sounds like there will be a fair bit of residential. New owners, Parabola, have a project page up for it on their website but it doesn't give much information yet.

Haddington liked this post
Kenspeckle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Haddington

Likes (Received): 4

Excellent. Thanks K.
Haddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Kenspeckle

The new brochure marketing the IBG states that the remaining undeveloped land at Edinburgh Park will be used primarily for residential. This contradicts earlier rumours that it would be commercial-led, albeit with potentially significant residential use alongside. Of course, the IBG is a direct rival, trying to position itself as the prime destination for new office developments in the area, so I'm not really sure how much should be read into the claim until the new EP masterplan eventually appears.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Jalbo

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenspeckle View Post
The new brochure marketing the IBG states that the remaining undeveloped land at Edinburgh Park will be used primarily for residential. This contradicts earlier rumours that it would be commercial-led, albeit with potentially significant residential use alongside. Of course, the IBG is a direct rival, trying to position itself as the prime destination for new office developments in the area, so I'm not really sure how much should be read into the claim until the new EP masterplan eventually appears.
I do hope that turns out to be incorrect. My dream of Edinburgh's answer to the Hydro has to go there........

Kenspeckle liked this post
Jalbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Kenspeckle

Still no news on this but project architects Dixon Jones recently updated their website to include some of the work they've been doing developing a masterplan and an initial building phase.

Quote:
Edinburgh Park Masterplan, Scotland

Edinburgh Park is a 148 acre business park located 6 miles west of Edinburgh city centre. It was master planned by Richard Meier in the early 1990s, and despite the success of its early phases, the southern end of the park has remained undeveloped for several years leaving the original vision incomplete.

Dixon Jones were appointed in 2014 to review the masterplan of the undeveloped 43 acres. The site has been assessed from first principles, with feasibility work examining commercial, mixed use, arts and residential opportunities. The developer (Parabola) has encouraged an open minded interrogation of the development opportunities of the site, exploring the potential to transform this part of the city and to complete the park in a manner that respects the original vision.

The park benefits from a mature and generous landscape, distant views of the Pentland Hills and Arthurs Seat and the opportunity to build on the improved connectivity offered by the tram line that runs through the heart of the park.

Quote:
Edinburgh Park Phase I, Scotland

This feasibility exercise explored the potential to create a 200,000 sq ft commercial office building on the southern phase of the park. The brief was for a highly efficient, sustainable and flexible building that could challenge the expectations of the established business park market. The proposals examined a new vision for a larger building than elsewhere on the site. A building that would encourage collaborative working, via a mix of complimentary uses within a single environment with generous, shared public spaces. The project was developed as a bold ‘first phase’ to a potential mixed use masterplan.

I think the first phase office building is likely the long block featured in the first masterplan image which sits at 45 degrees to the rail line. Most interesting are the buildings surrounding the new square in the same image. The smallest one would appear to be a hotel but the larger ones - one with a vaulted roof and the other attached to a massive multi-storey car park - don't look like office buildings. Maybe exhibition/event/performance spaces? The interior view of the latter building looks a lot like circulation space for an auditorium.

dadabouttown, Terra_ liked this post
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #7
dadabouttown

Likes (Received): 893

I agree that looks like an alt/event type building there facing the square. It's limited in size/expansion space but there may well be an opportunity for this given the mooted plans posted by KS for something bigger opp the airport might be well down the line.

The masterplan certainly seems intent on cramming as much into the site as they can. Those tightly packed blocks are a step away from the leafy, standalone pavillions of the rest of the site. But it is of course closer to a rail and tram stop.

If a higher density supports some ground floor retail and the detail of the architecture and public realm is of sufficient standard then in principle, it might offer something a bit different for West Edinburgh. A little more akin to the IBG.

Interesting how a combination of land values/shortages/demand and thinking on 'business parks' has evolved from the Meier parkland pavillions era to one where something closer to a 'mixed use business district' that replicates the densities, uses and public transport focus of city centres a bit more is increasingly accepted as a better approach.

Imagine if the Gyle shopping centre and phase 1 of Edinburgh park had been conceived to that kind of model?

Last edited by dadabouttown; February 14th, 2017 at 12:02 PM.
dadabouttown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Kenspeckle

Assuming it is some kind of exhibition/event complex then, as you say, these buildings would be less than half the size of the proposed Expo centre at a relocated RHC (though that's likely at least 15 years away and may never happen) but they're still a reasonable size.

I was bored at lunchtime so had a go at mocking up the rough footprints on a satellite image.

And just for fun, here's a footprint comparison to the SECC (minus the Armadillo) and the Hydro.

Of course, there's no confirmation these buildings are intended for that sort of use, or if they would make it into the eventual masterplan, but it's fun to speculate!

It's interesting that there doesn't appear to be a residential component to this particular masterplan, despite previous rumours to the contrary (though there was one image showing an alternative masterplan on the architects' site which looked more residential-focused - see below). This would tally with something I read recently (can't remember where - maybe the WETA report?) that the council now expects future development of EP to be commercial-led.

Moschops, dadabouttown, Terra_ liked this post
Old February 15th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #9
dadabouttown

Quote:
Assuming it is some kind of exhibition/event complex then, as you say, these buildings would be less than half the size of the proposed Expo centre at a relocated RHC (though that's likely at least 15 years away and may never happen) but they're still a reasonable size.

And just for fun, here's a footprint comparison to the SECC (minus the Armadillo) and the Hydro.

That comparison is quite illuminating. The potential is a lot bigger than I thought, esp if you incl the large building with the giant car park attached.
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #10
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadabouttown View Post
That comparison is quite illuminating. The potential is a lot bigger than I thought, esp if you incl the large building with the giant car park attached.
I think that building with the car park is some kind of conference/performance space. This image of the interior looking towards the other building (which I'd guess is an exhibition hall) is quite suggestive when combined with the exterior view - the main part of the building looks to be windowless and vast, with multiple entrances on a few levels and a covered external staircase facing the tramline - that has to be a large auditorium, doesn't it?

My only other thought is it could be something more mundane like a multiplex cinema but I think it's most likely to be someone's proposal for Edinburgh's answer to the Hydro. Smaller of course, maybe around 2/3rds the size, so 8,000-10,000 capacity? As others have said before, the transport links for this area probably give it the edge over Leith for something like this, but worth remembering that even if this was a confirmed proposal (which it isn't), an arena of that size proposed for Ingliston was deemed unaffordable without a huge outlay from the council, so we shouldn't get our hopes up too high!
Old February 15th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #11
dadabouttown

Quote:
I think that building with the car park is some kind of conference/performance space. This image of the interior looking towards the other building (which I'd guess is an exhibition hall) is quite suggestive when combined with the exterior view - the main part of the building looks to be windowless and vast, with multiple entrances on a few levels and a covered external staircase facing the tramline - that has to be a large auditorium, doesn't it?

My only other thought is it could be something more mundane like a multiplex cinema but I think it's most likely to be someone's proposal for Edinburgh's answer to the Hydro. Smaller of course, maybe around 2/3rds the size, so 8,000-10,000 capacity? As others have said before, the transport links for this area probably give it the edge over Leith for something like this, but worth remembering that even if this was a confirmed proposal (which it isn't), an arena of that size proposed for Ingliston was deemed unaffordable without a huge outlay from the council, so we shouldn't get our hopes up too high!
That all makes total sense. The rail linkage and proximity to the motorway network give it a huge advantage over Leith I think, even if the visual setting might not be so good.

I think we've both seen too many visions not see the light of day to get too carried away. I suspect adding in these sorts sort of visionary elements are often done to spice up a masterplan application or proposal in the same way the garden district had a national garden attraction and a stadium and whatnot.

Old February 15th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #12
natcheztrace

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalbo View Post
I do hope that turns out to be incorrect. My dream of Edinburgh's answer to the Hydro has to go there........
Fat chance
natcheztrace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #13
belle
Thinking pink.

Likes (Received): 195

The site for an Edinburgh Hydro was the Morrison Street goods yard everywhere else is second best (but being adjacent to transport infrastructure is far to sensible to become reality).
Old February 15th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #14
ElectricityWon'tHurt

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:

It's interesting that there doesn't appear to be a residential component to this particular masterplan, despite previous rumours to the contrary (though there was one image showing an alternative masterplan on the architects' site which looked more residential-focused - see below). This would tally with something I read recently (can't remember where - maybe the WETA report?) that the council now expects future development of EP to be commercial-led.
Not sure of the exact part of the site, but I'm aware that certain developers have been looking to appoint a design team for a residential masterplan at Edinburgh Park within in the past few months.

ElectricityWon'tHurt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #15
Kenspeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricityWon'tHurt View Post
Not sure of the exact part of the site, but I'm aware that certain developers have been looking to appoint a design team for a residential masterplan at Edinburgh Park within in the past few months.
Interesting. I know Parabola were originally aiming to submit a masterplan in mid-2015 and have the first phase complete this year but since then there's been no real news. Dixon Jones were involved at that stage but who knows if those images I posted upthread will have any bearing on whatever masterplan is eventually settled on. Hopefully they'll submit a PAN one of these days!
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #16
ryongsong

Likes (Received): 22

We really have to make the most of this site. It has great tram/train/bus integration, and some retail there already too (which hopefully in time could be knocked down and replaced by something better). I'd be so depressed if we just got some crappy flats. Given the amount of money spent trying to create transport interchanges elsewhere, you'd think there would be a lot of focus on this site.
ryongsong está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #17
dadabouttown

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
The site for an Edinburgh Hydro was the Morrison Street goods yard everywhere else is second best (but being adjacent to transport infrastructure is far to sensible to become reality).
Defo. But that bird flew when someone decided to fill up half of Edinburgh's biggest transport adjoining gapsite with the uber anonymous Morrison Crescent. With a circular footprint of similar size to the Hydro just to rub our noses in it.

After Haymarket I reckon an events campus centred around Murrayfield would be next best. After which Edinburgh Park.

belle liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:29 PM   #18
Kenspeckle

Finally some activity... but only to extend the existing planning permission which will lapse in October and vary it in accordance to the revised Local Development Plan principles for the site. Dixon Jones are still project architects.

17/01210/FUL | Section 42 variation to planning permission 09/00430/FUL conditions 1(a), 2 and 3 to allow a further 5 years for the submission of MSC applications and to permit office development up to 102,190sqm gross and hotel development up to 6,479sqm gross. | Land Adjacent To Lochside Way Edinburgh

Quote:
Having purchased the site Parabola have renewed full scale marketing and have been considering a number of development options. It is also evident from development activity in the city and in particular in the western districts that the development market has experienced a marked improvement since the permission granted in 2009. Parabola is therefore hopeful that high quality offices can still be developed on the site and in accordance with the existing planning permission. Commercial agents have recently uncovered renewed interest from occupiers and the existence of the planning permission is helping in marketing the site to prospective tenants as it indicates that office development can proceed on a large scale and relatively quickly. It is therefore important for the continuing marketing of the site to retain a planning permission for office use to retain and improve market interest.
Indicative land use plan - reflecting 2016 LDP.

Quote:
This plan indicates how the area of the application site could be configured to be aligned with the principles suggested on the development principles plan.

The colours replicate those in the LDP which represent indicative building blocks of the identified LDP uses. The production of this plan has informed the applicant of the revised floorspace thresholds suggested in this variation application. This reduces the total amount of office development from 198,361sqm down to 102,190sqm and as a result of the Premier hotel having already been completed as part of the original consent (along with a future proposed extension) the amount of hotel floorspace has also been reduced from 14,610sqm to 6,479sqm. The amount of ancillary floorspace remains as originally proposed as there is no planning policy reason to reduce the amount of ancillary floorspace. Given the change in policy towards a more mixed use approach it is considered that there is now further policy support for ancillary forms of development.

The adjusted floorspace thresholds can be accommodated within the purple and blue shaded building blocks which is in accordance with the LDP development principles plan. This leaves the lighter shaded pink blocks which are identified as ‘Housing Led Mixed Use’ in accordance with the LDP. As a renewal application of a previous planning permission this application cannot and does not propose these additional land uses as proposed in the LDP, but the plan clearly indicates how the renewal planning permission uses can be accommodated on the site leaving a substantial area of land which can be developed for housing led mixed the use in accordance with the LDP.
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:43 AM   #19
Kenspeckle

New £500m ‘urban quarter’ planned for Edinburgh outskirts

Scotland on Sunday - 1st October 2017

Quote:
A new £500 million “urban quarter” is being planned for the outskirts of Edinburgh, which will create office space for 8,000 jobs and 1,800 homes.

The capital’s biggest development for well over a decade is earmarked for a swathe of land on both sides of the tram line near the Gyle Shopping Centre.

About 43 acres of undeveloped land to the south of the Edinburgh Park business park would be transformed under the plans by property developer Parabola.

It is expected to help tackle a shortfall of high quality office space in the city and boost efforts to attract major employers to invest in Edinburgh.

Parabola said it believes the vacant land will become home to “one of the most desirable places to live and work in Edinburgh”.

Edinburgh Park, which opened in 1995, is home to more than one million sq ft of offices, including bases for RBS, Diageo, HSBC, JP Morgan and Sainsbury’s Bank. The new venture would see another 750,000 sq ft of commercial space created.

Parabola, which was behind the Central Square scheme in Newcastle and the Kings Place project in London, said it envisaged Edinburgh would “compete on a UK stage” in the next few years.

A “civic square”, 150-seat conference and events facility, bar-restaurant, leisure and medical centre, micro-brewery and specially commissioned works of art would also be created.

Parabola hopes to start work on the project next summer, with the first offices due to open by 2020.

The scale of its project, which will be served by the Edinburgh Park Central tram stop, would be much bigger than the ongoing Quartermile, New Waverley and St James schemes in the city centre.

Parabola founder Peter Millican said: “Our vision is unashamedly ambitious – to create a new vibrant community and architectural exemplar designed around the happiness and success of its people. We’re building a new working and living community, redefining modern Edinburgh with a new gateway for the capital.

“We’ve undertaken considerable research in the UK and across Europe in order to create a vision which we hope will represent a new ‘place’ for the city.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/regions/edin...irts-1-4574695

Prestonian liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:29 PM   #20
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 817

^
Urgh!
They don't HAVE to build this style there.
There's no context geographically to build it in the Edinburgh vernacular
Why not be ballsy!

ShaunEdin87, gghdev liked this post
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: