SYNQ | Tib St | 10/9 fl | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old November 5th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #1
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 18419

SYNQ | Tib St | 10/9 fl | U/C

Developer: Tibst Ltd (Fred Done)

Architect: IDP

Quote:
114146/FO/2016 | Redevelopment of the site for a residential building (Class C3) with ground floor commercial uses (Class A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, D1, D2) varying in height from 9 to 10 storeys to provide 183 apartments (56 x 1 bed, 125 x 2 bed and 2 x 3 bed) with associated landscaping and other works following demolition of existing structure and artwork at junction of Tib Street and Church Street | Surface Level Car Park Site Bounded By Tib Street, Church Street, Joiner Street And Bridgewater Place Manchester
D&A Statement

Last edited by AJD1984; November 5th, 2016 at 06:30 PM.
AJD1984 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #2
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 33383

I think it's called Citu NQ Andrew - want me to request a change of thread name?

AJD1984 liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #3
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2423

This is a serious scheme. Sandstone and granite will be quality.

AJD1984 liked this post
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Wub

Likes (Received): 1716

Please make the windows line up. Staggered windows don't chime with the nearby buildings, don't make for a pleasant facade, and are a sign of an architect who doesn't trust simplicity.

I like the idea of red sandstone, but not so keen on the black granite. I would prefer dark/black metal or terracotta, similar to 38 High Street.

Other than that, I like it.

tomestott, tsangpogorge liked this post
Wub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #5
AJD1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wub View Post
...and are a sign of an architect who doesn't trust simplicity...

Old November 5th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Wub

Well, it's true. Windows arranged in regular rows and columns might look like the architect's hardly done any work, but it's much better than faffing around for no end. Sure, if they want to introduce some kind of grouping or hierarchy, then do so and the facade may benefit. But staggering is what, exactly?

Quote:
...staggered vertical fenestration which provides a contemporary interpretation of the regular grid facades of adjacent buildings.
So the modern interpretation of a regular grid is an irregular grid? Christ, give me strength.
Old November 5th, 2016, 09:02 PM   #7
half_empty

Likes (Received): 1058

I'm a fan of the Granite. I actually agree that it would look better without the staggered windows but it's still a good solid building.
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #8
SocialAlcoholic

Likes (Received): 206

So, when are we starting a "Friends of the Horn" pressure group?
SocialAlcoholic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #9
AJD1984

The horn will be saved and put into storage.
Old November 7th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #10
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 2125

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post

The horn will be saved and put into storage.
Yes, the very same storage I place my kids 'Arts and Crafts' school projects.

#saveourpapier-mâché
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #11
Wub

You know what, I thought the granite some more, and looked at a few buildings with the same or similar material, and I'm sure it will be great. (But, you know, I really love metal.)
Old November 7th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Stopfordian Dreamer

Likes (Received): 10889

Could always put the horn on the roof top corner of this new build? So it'd be like the horn never moved but just moved up a few stories.
Stopfordian Dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #13
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2423

^

No

AJD1984, Wub liked this post
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #14
Wub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopfordian Dreamer View Post
Could always put the horn on the roof top corner of this new build? So it'd be like the horn never moved but just moved up a few stories.
I did a visualization. The scale may need a little adjustment.

toottoot by Wub 1234, on Flickr
Old November 8th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #15
FearOfManchester
Danced right out the womb

Likes (Received): 383

No but quite seriously, the corner should be kept , shows what was there before, buildings rising up from thet remains of what was there before, and it's a pretty important part of the NQs regeneration story/identity and a focal point, a pretty big loss of art for a small amount of lost space from pulling the corner back a bit to save it, and what's the point in storing it exactly, once it's removed from its original site it loses all significance of what it represents, but hey, it's Fred done after all, and only money talks to him, knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. I like what is proposed don't get me wrong, but the importance of the art piece is far higher than the small amount of space it takes up. And we all know what 'storage' means I.e b of the bang.

mooned, half_empty liked this post
FearOfManchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #16
Manchesterwill

Likes (Received): 516

hate this building and feel like it impedes on the vibe of the northern quarter
Manchesterwill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #17
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesterwill View Post
hate this building and feel like it impedes on the vibe of the northern quarter
Much rather have this vibe than surface car park vibe though

I see what you're saying though - there are a few newbuilds starting to go up in the NQ at the moment and I can't shake the feeling that it's starting to become a bit too "corporate". With the London Evening Standard article last week, we're going to get a tirade of southerners occupying the area within no time and I worry that they'll add to the corporate/dull feel even more.

Sadly this is bound to happen though - you have "hipster/creative" areas in every big city around the world and after a while the corporates catch on to it, sniff out the money-making potential and move in with their developments, their rabbit box apartments and their over inflated price tags.

Important to remember that there are "new" Northern Quarters emerging all over the city now though - Ancoats is one of them, and I think Salford will go through a similar process in the next ten years. It's anywhere with cheap rents, clapped out old buildings, and a 'reputation' for being a bit scrubby/rough around the edges which develop into creative/hipster areas and both Salford and (to a lesser extent) Ancoats fit these bills perfectly. The Northern Quarter is just being consolidated into the city centre - its regeneration has been successful, essentially.

Keith_Andrew, atharii liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #18
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 2125

Irrespective of the finer details of this particular building, I absolutely believe something needs to go here. The issue with a lot of these surface car parks (built on the graves of previous grand buildings for the most part) is that you end up with views of the backsides (sides never really meant to be in full profile) of neighbouring buildings. This really is a jigsaw piece.

VDB, PJH2015, Cherguevara, Obobru liked this post
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #19
VDB
Strong and Stable

Yep - and invariably surface car parks open up vistas across the city in ways you don't really want to - and not just in the sense that you can see the backs of other buildings. Having more buildings in a city and clearly-defined streets gives that sense of enclosure that I believe is so important in a city - not to mention it makes streets safer because you have natural surveillance and more lighting on the street itself.
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #20
Manchesterwill

Likes (Received): 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Much rather have this vibe than surface car park vibe though

I see what you're saying though - there are a few newbuilds starting to go up in the NQ at the moment and I can't shake the feeling that it's starting to become a bit too "corporate". With the London Evening Standard article last week, we're going to get a tirade of southerners occupying the area within no time and I worry that they'll add to the corporate/dull feel even more.

Sadly this is bound to happen though - you have "hipster/creative" areas in every big city around the world and after a while the corporates catch on to it, sniff out the money-making potential and move in with their developments, their rabbit box apartments and their over inflated price tags.

Important to remember that there are "new" Northern Quarters emerging all over the city now though - Ancoats is one of them, and I think Salford will go through a similar process in the next ten years. It's anywhere with cheap rents, clapped out old buildings, and a 'reputation' for being a bit scrubby/rough around the edges which develop into creative/hipster areas and both Salford and (to a lesser extent) Ancoats fit these bills perfectly. The Northern Quarter is just being consolidated into the city centre - its regeneration has been successful, essentially.
I prefer it as a car park here:

I like how its surrounded by nice looking buildings and has a manhattan style feel to it. this would be the perfect spot for a public park of some sort but instead we will be getting a big cheese wedge of nothingness filling space.

the NQ is still scruffy in places and I'm sure it will remain largely that way for a long time as long as the council keep a lid on developments.

Ancoats desperately needs more bars and restaurants and other stuff to be cooler imo

mooned liked this post
Manchesterwill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: