Outwood Wharf | Salford | 70/56/24/23m | 23/18/8/6 fl | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #1
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 33382

Outwood Wharf | Salford | 70/56/24/23m | 23/18/8/6 fl | U/C

Outwood Wharf | Adelphi
Apartments | Salford

Thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1967113

• Address: Hulme St/Back Hulme St, Adelphi, Salford M3

• Architect: IBI

• Floors: 18, 8, 6

• Height: Tallest 56m

• Number of apartments: 263

• Developer: Peterloo Estates

Current status: Outline planning consent

Nearest transport: Salford Crescent

Couldn't find a thread.

Planning app has gone in for the increase in the number of apartments at this site - from 246 to 263 - to make the scheme more viable.

Quote:
16/69265/NMA | Application for a non-material amendment to planning permission 15/66823/OUT to increase the number of dwellings from 246 to 263 (as a result of a small decrease in the size of dwellings allowing an additional one-bed apartment on a total of 17 floors in blocks 2 and 3) | 5 Hulme Street Salford M5 4PX
A reminder of some of the elements of this scheme.

Balcony detail:

Tower diagram (56m):

Old December 27th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #2
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 18419

Don't know where the planning app is but thought this was approved Ed. Saw the increase app recently though.
AJD1984 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #3
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post
Don't know where the planning app is but thought this was approved Ed. Saw the increase app recently though.
Outline planning has been approved but full planning hasn't gone in yet I didn't think?

Old December 27th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #4
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 18419

Ah ok.

Those balconies are fancy

Was never sure on the design but fits in well with Middlewood Locks down the road and The Crecent.

VDB, ferge liked this post
AJD1984 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #5
half_empty

Likes (Received): 1058

where is this 'adelphi' district?

AJD1984 liked this post
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Marksy_1

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_empty View Post
where is this 'adelphi' district?

It's the area around Adelphi street, Cleminson street, Peru street and St Stephens street in central Salford.
Marksy_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #7
half_empty

But that's currently called 'Trinity' by residents. However much 'Adelphi' sounds nicer, the area simply isn't referred to as that by its residents (including me and my friends) and isn't marketed as that anywhere except the Adelphi Wharf development.

Also, regardless of what you want to call that area, this development is on the wrong side of Chapel Street to be in either 'Trinity' or the 'Adelphi' district.

iheartthenew liked this post
Old December 29th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #8
VDB
Strong and Stable

Yeah sorry the confusion is my fault - in truth this area doesn't really have a name. There are quite a few emerging districts of Manchester which don't have names - another example being the back of Piccadilly station (not quite Piccadilly Basin, not quite Eastbank, not Mayfield and near Ardwick but not of it).

There's also the area between First St and Oxford Road, between the railway viaduct and Mancunian Way (Cambridge St runs through the middle).

We need to have a neighbourhood-naming convention

half_empty liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #9
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
There's also the area between First St and Oxford Road, between the railway viaduct and Mancunian Way (Cambridge St runs through the middle).
That area is known as Chorlton-on-Medlock - the River Medlock runs through it.

Sounds more like a village in the Cotswolds though

Paull76 liked this post
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Ben Brierley

Likes (Received): 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Up View Post
That area is known as Chorlton-on-Medlock - the River Medlock runs through it.

Sounds more like a village in the Cotswolds though

Also known locally as Little Ireland many, many years ago. Not to be confused with the Irish migrants of Angel Meadow and New cross.
Ben Brierley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Brierley View Post
Also known locally as Little Ireland many, many years ago. Not to be confused with the Irish migrants of Angel Meadow and New cross.
Colloquially yes but that refers mainly to the Oxford Rd end. If you walk round the back streets there, you'll find a plaque that references Little Ireland.
The part now covered by the First St development also used to be known as Gaythorn (the previous land use was as the Gaythorn Gasworks, which was almost as ugly as First St)
Old maps though will refer to the whole area as Chorlton on Medlock

VDB, Ben Brierley liked this post
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #12
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 4574

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Yeah sorry the confusion is my fault - in truth this area doesn't really have a name. There are quite a few emerging districts of Manchester which don't have names - another example being the back of Piccadilly station (not quite Piccadilly Basin, not quite Eastbank, not Mayfield and near Ardwick but not of it).

We need to have a neighbourhood-naming convention
Districts really only gain names when there's an identifiable centre for them to be demarcated around. The problem within Central Manchester is a lot of those centre points have disappeared, whether because the churches that gave communities a focus were demolished, or the shopping or industrial facilities that gave areas specific identities have closed down. For example the First Street/Oxford Road area is the original part of Chorlton-on-Medlock, but MMU/UoM/RNCM have displaced the original community and the shops around Cavendish Street have all closed down long ago. The community no longer exists and so the name is all but lost. Same with Gaythorn (around the gasworks), Knott Mill (around the Mill and later the station) or St Andrews (what the area behind Piccadilly was known as at one point due to the church).

New Communities can emerge around new or revived centres (or new transport infrastructure), but it seems artificial to pretend they exist when they don't. The other way is if developers make 'area branding' a specific part of their development, but this only really tends to stick when they're rebuilding large areas as with Spinningfields, New Islington or perhaps St John's. If I were you Ed I'd not try to force neighbourhood names on areas that don't have them.

AJD1984, VDB, tsangpogorge liked this post
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #13
Marksy_1

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_empty View Post
But that's currently called 'Trinity' by residents. However much 'Adelphi' sounds nicer, the area simply isn't referred to as that by its residents (including me and my friends) and isn't marketed as that anywhere except the Adelphi Wharf development.

Also, regardless of what you want to call that area, this development is on the wrong side of Chapel Street to be in either 'Trinity' or the 'Adelphi' district.

Interesting to know this is known as trinity, I have always thought of it as the Adelphi area.

I remember the Adelphi riverside pub, (now the old pint pot) maybe that is where I got the name from....also sure in the book about Manchester scuttlers referred to the area as the Adelphi area of Salford.

http://salfordonline.com/21379-tonig...cumentary.html
Marksy_1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #14
half_empty

I mean the name 'Trinity' sounds rubbish so I'd happily take 'Adelphi' any day. But Adelphi St is the road that the old Adelphi pub actually sits on. I just tell everyone I live 'off Chapel Street' as people seem to know what that means.
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:49 AM   #15
VDB
Strong and Stable

Another app, this time regarding phasing, site investigation and noise.

It seems the 'tower' (18 floors) will come first as Phase 1, followed by the 8 storey block (Phase 2) and then the 6 storey block as part of Phase 3.
Quote:
17/69585/DISCON | Request for confirmation of compliance of conditions 5 (site investigation), 7 (noise), 10 (phasing), 12 (noise-cemx) attached to planning permission 15/66823/OUT | 5 Hulme Street Salford M5 4PX
http://publicaccess.salford.gov.uk/p...=OM4MDSNPJR500

No indication of a start date but remember there's only been an outline application for this, which has been approved, but the developer will still need to submit a 'reserved matters' application in order to gain full permission.

Essentially outline consent has given the developer permission for part of the project, the reserved matters app will give them 100% permission.

Perhaps the phasing means they will submit separate applications for each block but I doubt it as the blocks look like they're joined together.

Wait and see?

AJD1984 liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #16
VDB
Strong and Stable

Movement on the Outwood Wharf site on this image originally posted by jrb

Surely a reserved matters app is due soon?

Old June 17th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #17
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 1195

I did think the other day on passing by that it looked like there was movement on both sites, it'd be great to see them both going up together.

AJD1984 liked this post
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #18
GShutty

Likes (Received): 6127

That photo shows superbly how the Crescent could soon be linked to Middlewood Locks and in turn link with Ordsall and Hulme/Castlefield. It's a mammoth effort, building on the vast brownfield areas, referred to in lyrics that I heard yesterday, as ('Serengeti-style'), 'Car Park (city) Plains'.

The city could be transforming in a way that we will never see again. It might be another ten years for the above and more to happen, but it's great to watch.

PotreroHill liked this post
GShutty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #19
M60

Likes (Received): 1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post
That photo shows superbly how the Crescent could soon be linked to Middlewood Locks and in turn link with Ordsall and Hulme/Castlefield. It's a mammoth effort, building on the vast brownfield areas, referred to in lyrics that I heard yesterday, as ('Serengeti-style'), 'Car Park (city) Plains'.

The city could be transforming in a way that we will never see again. It might be another ten years for the above and more to happen, but it's great to watch.

I was thinking this... I went for a reccy last night and drove past Adelphi Wharf, Carprino Place, Middlewood Locks, Ordsall Lane, Clipper's Quay and back up Chester Road towards Ellesmere Street and Owen Street.

What other western city is seeing this sort of urban infill at the moment?

GShutty liked this post
M60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #20
GShutty

Likes (Received): 6127

You're right M60. Adelphi Wharf is really starting to have an impact and with the rise of Greengate towers and the infill on Chapel Street the city is rising 360'.

..... And then there's the Quays. Clipper's Quay completely redefines that gateway entrance, not to mention the quality towers and infill developments.

Let's hope we can have a sustained period of growth and development. At the moment, we have seen some good schemes realised, but the best are pending promises and proposals.... For now.....

M60 liked this post
GShutty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: