#COMPLETED-Juffair: "SHAIKH ISA NATIONAL LIBRARY" - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Bahrain > Projects and Construction | مشاريع البناء والانشاء

Projects and Construction | مشاريع البناء والانشاء Projects News and Updates

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #1
Moody
www.Bahrainbay.com

Likes (Received): 0

#COMPLETED-Juffair: "SHAIKH ISA NATIONAL LIBRARY"

This project is almost complete, next to alfateh grand mosque

Moody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #2
Moody
www.Bahrainbay.com

It will have a capacity for more than 250,000 books and refrences and four main halls.
Old April 10th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #3
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

Ya this thing took 5 years or so (work started in 1999), it's a very beautiful building, a marvel of Islamic architecture. Should be completed when am back, hopefully.
Bahraini Spirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Qatar4Ever

Likes (Received): 1

Would look amazing along with the masjeed. I think its location is very prime. I think Ive seen the construction but I never knew that it was a library. I will go snoop around next time im in bahrain.

Looks much better that our new library :/
Qatar4Ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #5
Bahraini Spirit

Hehe your new library is cool and bigger and taller but also looks like a space ship. This design is quite different hehe.
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Bahraini Spirit

Old September 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Moody
www.Bahrainbay.com

the roof top remindes me of San Franssico intl airport !
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #8
source26

this building looks weird, like a marriage of different geometric stunts,
at least from the model it looks a bit messy with domes and columns all over the place - just over-doing it..
source26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #9
Bahraini Spirit

This is Islamic Architecture, it's not overdoin it. This one looks great.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #10
Moody
www.Bahrainbay.com

The best place for viewing it is as if you are driving from Manama down to Gulf hotel.

The Architecture is fine, but its a mesh of many designs. not a perfect one but still its something old which looks also new.
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #11
B-Patriot

Likes (Received): 5

B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 268

Nice! But is it finished yet??
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #13
B-Patriot

Likes (Received): 5

Not quite...The construction of some parts and completion has been delayed due to a lack of funds or something weird like that...But i think they got most of the funding they need...Part of it came from Kuwait i think, as usual... Thank you Kuwait
B-Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #14
dave550

Nice building, the real pic looks better even than the first one. Although, the mosque "which is next to it" is a lot more beautiful than this structure, I am afraid that nobody is gonna look at it.
I love that mosque, it is nicer than all mosques in Qatar.
dave550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #15
Skyline-BRN

^ Yeah the Grand Mosque is truely Grand! But I think the library and the Mosque go well together because the architechture compliements each other.
Skyline-BRN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #16
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

I like it, original and white. I really like this, think it will fit very good in Bahrain.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #17
Pearl of the Gulf

Likes (Received): 2

Pearl of the Gulf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #18
love-me

awesome..it going to remind us late Shaikh Isa ....i liked the color and design.
love-me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #19
Pearl of the Gulf

Likes (Received): 2

Enormous composite roof structure installed in Bahrain

16 Aug 2006 - Bahrain

The new Library and Conference Hall in Bahrain enhances the island nation’s reputation for dramatic architectural presentation. The complex is named in honor of the country’s late Amir, Shaikh Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa, and is noteworthy for its elaborate designs and grand scale. The Library and Conference Hall is prominently seen from the nearby waterfront and bay.

Artistic expression is especially bold for the Conference Hall roof. Its five huge vault structures demonstrate the versatility of fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites made with Firepel K133 flame-retardant polyester from AOC. Installed atop the Conference Hall 92 feet (28 meters) above ground level, the vaults represent one of the largest composite roofing structures in the world. Furthermore, the Library and Conference Hall is adjacent to the famous Al Fateh Mosque, whose architectural focal point is the world’s largest composite dome.

Each vault is 164 feet (50 meters) long with a front overhang that is 52.5 feet (16 meters) wide and 30 feet (9.25 meters) high. The half-cone shape of the vault tapers to 26.2-by-19.7 feet (8-by-6 meters) at the rear.

Engineering for the vaults was accomplished by Composite Designs & Technology of Pune, India. BFG International Ltd. Bahrain manufactured, assembled and installed the roof components following strict ISO 9000 procedures.

“The desired architecture would not have been economically viable in conventional materials,” said Suhas Kolhatkar, director of Composites Designs & Technology. “Steel and concrete weigh about 40 to 50 percent more than composites and would have imposed tremendous dead weight on the building’s substructure and footing.”

For ease of molding and handling, each vault was divided into six sections of approximately equal weight. Each section was an assembly of molded panels which were bolted together using rigid, molded-in flanges.

To eliminate the need transport the large vault sections over a long distance, composite panels were molded in a manufacturing facility built at the job site. CAD files were transferred to a CNC unit that cut wooden templates for each panel profile. Molds were then built of reinforced cement concrete and finished with a cultured marble surface.

Workers for BFG International Ltd. Bahrain used hand lay-up to mold the composite sections. To achieve high stiffness at a low weight, a honeycomb core was sandwiched between composite laminates of fiberglass chopped strand mat and woven roving in Firepel K133 flame-retardant polyester.

link
Pearl of the Gulf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #20
supertramper
megabuilder

Unfortunately, despite all the fuss about this roof, the building is really ugly an not proportioned. Horrible design. The best contemporary building in Bahrain remains the National Museum, by far.
supertramper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement