Revival of Breslau/Wroclaw - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2018, 05:59 PM   #1
Filz1

Likes (Received): 255

Revival of Breslau/Wroclaw

Hello!
My name is Philipp and I’m founder of #ZmianyWMiescie (eng. City Changes) project. I am currently working on the subject of revitalization of pre-war Breslau treasures and I have created a list of objects that have been given a second chance. I managed to capture the changes in the Old Town, Nadodrze (Oder Vorstadt), Olbin (Elbing) and Plac Grunwaldzki (area of former Kaiserstraße). Would you like to receive further notices about my project? I am also thinking about making im future such maps about smaller towns im Lower Silesia and about Szczecin/Stettin. Maybe someday :nut:

Old Town - http://www.nowemiasta.pl/zmianywmiescie/staremiasto1/
Nadodrze (Oder Vorstadt) - http://www.nowemiasta.pl/zmianywmiescie/nadodrze1/
Olbin (Elbing) - http://www.nowemiasta.pl/zmianywmiescie/olbin1/
Plac Grunwaldzki (Kaiserstrasse) - http://www.nowemiasta.pl/zmianywmies...cgrunwaldzki1/

I know the text is in polish, but the photos are in worldwide-ish
Filz1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Urbanista1
European 'Peace Project'

Likes (Received): 6816

What a great idea! It is about time someone noticed and shared with the world the remarkable transformation happening in Wroclaw. Restorations, reconstructions and rebuilding of the many gap-toothed street-faces thanks to new development. I can't wait for more....

The algorithms social media use have turned many good people into paranoid junkies addicted to hate and fear - Jaron Lanier

“Between the world of chaos and the world of order stands the rule of law” Andrew G. McCabe

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Filz1, Notgnirracen liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 11:09 PM   #3
dickpound
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1152

We're in 2018. Why is the name Breslau given more prominence than Wrocław?

wojtekbp, catcha, pogaduchy, Urbanista1 liked this post
dickpound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2018, 11:10 PM   #4
dickpound
BANNED

By the way, I am relocating to Wrocław from Warsaw in June. Excited.
Old May 21st, 2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Filz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpound View Post
Probably because most of the urban architecture comes from the times of German Breslau. As for the post-war history, most foreigners say Wroclaw, not Breslau.

keepthepast liked this post
Old May 21st, 2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filz1 View Post
Probably because most of the urban architecture comes from the times of German Breslau. As for the post-war history, most foreigners say Wroclaw, not Breslau.
This bit is true for me. Especially after I'd learnt how to pronounce it correctly. What I have found though when visiting Poland, and Wroclaw in particular, is that the locals will use Breslau when speaking English.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Filz1

Yeah, its difficult subject. Nevertheless, you must remember that this is a breakthrough - for many decades Poles in Lower Silesia felt alienated and... derooted. Nowadays when you hear the Pole saying "Breslau" it just means that some episode of our history is already closed. Thats totally fine.
Old May 25th, 2018, 02:40 PM   #8
dickpound
BANNED

I still have mixed feelings about the name Breslau. Polish people rebuilt this city and it is what it is today because of them. I prefer the name Wrocław.

On a sidenote, the German army was fighting here until the bitter end against the Soviets, weeks before the end of WW2 in 1945. Breslau was the last major battle of WW2. It goes without saying the city would be even more stunning if they had not put up a useless fight. Right?

Urbanista1 liked this post
Old May 25th, 2018, 09:48 PM   #9
Heinzer

Likes (Received): 1745

It really is a complicated issue... while as a German, I find it ridiculous to name these formerly German cities by their Polish names in German, internationally, the city is probably becoming more and more known as Wroclaw which of course is completely alright. Ironically, I think many Poles are much more laid back and relaxed about calling their own city Breslau when speaking to Germans, also a lot of the official tourist sites etc. use the Breslau/Stettin/Danzig etc. in their German versions, whereas some Germans are really uncool about this, claiming that using the German names somehow conveys unfulfilled territorial hunger.

One big problem for many Polish and other Slavic names is their complicated orthography with lots of special letters that are difficult to do on an non-Polish keyboard. This leads to the sad examples such as "Wroclaw" that I myself used above, in its worst version then being pronounced the German way which would sound something like Vrotslav.

Although of course it was and is alright for the German population of the former eastern territories of Germany to mourn the loss of their homeland, I am very grateful for the Poles that they have generally really done a nice job of rebuilding these oftentimes brutally destroyed cities and that they are so open and friendly to us despite our history. Of course, the focus for quite a while was to delete a lot of the obviously German remnants of the cities, this attitude has changed more and more over the last 10-20 years. It just cannot be healthy for a city to try to erase or at least rewrite sometimes hundreds of years of their history. And just as Strasbourg is now celebrating their Wilheminian city extensions, Breslau and many other formerly German cities are rediscovering the "German" part of their (not only architectural) history. This really is a win-win situation for everybody!

Urbanista1, GeneratorNL, TwItCH, skymantle liked this post
Heinzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 01:30 AM   #10
Filz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzer View Post
It really is a complicated issue... while as a German, I find it ridiculous to name these formerly German cities by their Polish names in German, internationally, the city is probably becoming more and more known as Wroclaw which of course is completely alright. Ironically, I think many Poles are much more laid back and relaxed about calling their own city Breslau when speaking to Germans, also a lot of the official tourist sites etc. use the Breslau/Stettin/Danzig etc. in their German versions, whereas some Germans are really uncool about this, claiming that using the German names somehow conveys unfulfilled territorial hunger.

One big problem for many Polish and other Slavic names is their complicated orthography with lots of special letters that are difficult to do on an non-Polish keyboard. This leads to the sad examples such as "Wroclaw" that I myself used above, in its worst version then being pronounced the German way which would sound something like Vrotslav.

Although of course it was and is alright for the German population of the former eastern territories of Germany to mourn the loss of their homeland, I am very grateful for the Poles that they have generally really done a nice job of rebuilding these oftentimes brutally destroyed cities and that they are so open and friendly to us despite our history. Of course, the focus for quite a while was to delete a lot of the obviously German remnants of the cities, this attitude has changed more and more over the last 10-20 years. It just cannot be healthy for a city to try to erase or at least rewrite sometimes hundreds of years of their history. And just as Strasbourg is now celebrating their Wilheminian city extensions, Breslau and many other formerly German cities are rediscovering the "German" part of their (not only architectural) history. This really is a win-win situation for everybody!
Cheers to our common heritage and future!

As for the revival of Wroclaw architecture - the old office building at Jan Paweł II square got dandified
Old May 26th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #11
wojtekbp

Likes (Received): 2639

Quote:
Find me one single Pole who says Lviv not Lwów, Vilnius not Wilno or Hrodna not Grodno.

dickpound, GeneratorNL liked this post
wojtekbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 12:46 PM   #12
dickpound
BANNED

This would be a perfect time to ask, but is there is a database of pictures online that shows Wrocław after WW2. Also, what was the status of Breslau throughout German history? It appears that it was a rich city. Even today, you can admire a lot of the restored architecture that survived the war.
Old May 26th, 2018, 12:49 PM   #13
dickpound
BANNED

Also, is there much that has survived from the Piast dynasty?
Old May 26th, 2018, 04:16 PM   #14
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1931

90% of the city was destroyed by Germans and Russians in WWII so not much survived (close combat house-to-house fighting. directorial shelling etc). Some of it was deliberate - blowing up churches and houses in the city center by German SS troops to make way for an airport.

Today it would be very hard to notice anything without actually knowing what to look for. The city looks stunning and with the level of investment flowing in year after year it will eventually be a rich and modern city.

Old May 26th, 2018, 04:35 PM   #15
Filz1

Quote:
This would be a perfect time to ask, but is there is a database of pictures online that shows Wrocław after WW2. Also, what was the status of Breslau throughout German history? It appears that it was a rich city. Even today, you can admire a lot of the restored architecture that survived the war.
There is a database of pictures and photos of Lower Silesia before and after WWII - https://dolny-slask.org.pl
Old May 26th, 2018, 05:18 PM   #16
Urbanista1
European 'Peace Project'

Likes (Received): 6816

Quote:
Also, is there much that has survived from the Piast dynasty?
If I may interject, the vaulted basements of the original 13th century Piast Castle survive under the cloister complex of the sisters of Notre Dame.

https://www.wroclaw.pl/zamek-piastow-slaskich-wroclaw

After all the Piasts founded Wroclaw. Slavic tribes settled the area around Ostrow Tumski from as early as the 6th century and it apparently was known as a stronghold by the Romans. Up until about the mid 1300's the city was essentially Polish but then was absorbed into the kingdom of Bohemia. Throughout its early history German settlers were arriving especially after Mongols destroyed the city.It was under Hapsburg rule until the mid 1740's when the Kingdom of Prussia annexed it, during this period and the subsequent annexation to the German Empire in 1871 we see Wroclaw develop the most into what it is today essentially and until the end of WWII it was German-controlled.

So, with all honesty we can't say Wroclaw was German for most of its history, that is German controlled (1740-1945 maybe), German-influenced certainly just like many cities in central and eastern Europe, after all Germans were the major merchant class. Wroclaw is a very complex and fascinating city.

The algorithms social media use have turned many good people into paranoid junkies addicted to hate and fear - Jaron Lanier

“Between the world of chaos and the world of order stands the rule of law” Andrew G. McCabe

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

dickpound liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 05:19 PM   #17
wakka12

Likes (Received): 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufonut View Post
90% of the city was destroyed by Germans and Russians in WWII so not much survived (close combat house-to-house fighting. directorial shelling etc). Some of it was deliberate - blowing up churches and houses in the city center by German SS troops to make way for an airport.

Today it would be very hard to notice anything without actually knowing what to look for. The city looks stunning and with the level of investment flowing in year after year it will eventually be a rich and modern city.

These buildings are all reconsutrctions them??
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 07:56 PM   #18
dickpound
BANNED

I think 90% destruction is misleading. It was far less destroyed than Warsaw.

Does Germany even have it's own style of architecture and design (I mean centuries old not bauhaus)? What style are we looking at in Wrocław? I always thought most popular architectural styles came from Greece, Italy, France and England. Let me know.
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:19 PM   #19
dickpound
BANNED

The oldest brick building in Wrocław. Apparently from around the days of the Piast dynasty. I took this photo.

Old May 26th, 2018, 10:09 PM   #20
Filz1

Quote:
I think 90% destruction is misleading. It was far less destroyed than Warsaw.

Does Germany even have it's own style of architecture and design (I mean centuries old not bauhaus)? What style are we looking at in Wrocław? I always thought most popular architectural styles came from Greece, Italy, France and England. Let me know.
Well, at least Silesia has its own architecture wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesi...re?wprov=sfti1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
breslau, wroclaw