SkyscraperCity Forum banner

hkskyline's 2018 in Los Angeles

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MikeVegas 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
Yes, but only a quick trip up to this point :

Finding a parking spot at Griffith Park on a weekend is quite a challenge, but your patience is worth it thanks to beautiful views over the city below. The park was a gift from a mining giant in 1896, covering 5x the size of New York City's Central Park. While you are there, pop into the Observatory, which was built in 1935.

If you don't have a car, catch the cheap DASH buses that make the trip from points downhill for only 50 cents a ride.

Back downtown, the Intercontinental's lobby on the 70th floor is a great place to get your bearings. Many windows offer free views or you can grab a snack at the Lobby Lounge.

#7 ·
Shopping dominates the streets south of Pershing Square, with many jewelry shops occupying stately-looking historic buildings. My walking tour covers parts of South Olive, South Hill, and South Broadway. Sprinkles of new developments can be seen along this area, along with the homeless presence.

Broadway used to be the city's entertainment hub with many theaters along this stretch. Sadly, the area has seen better days and now looks quite gritty.

The Tower Theater opened in 1927 and can seat 900 on such a tiny site.

The Orpheum Theatre dates from 1926 and was renovated in 2001. A 12-storey building sits on top of the theatre, which has been converted into live/work spaces.

Eastern Columbia Lofts' unique turquoise exterior is quite catchy. Opened in 1930, its 13 stories once served as the headquarters of furniture and clothing companies. A renovation in 2006 has turned the building into a luxury residence.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/losangeles.htm

#8 ·
Great photos! I live on Broadway and i wonder if i saw you taking the pics ha. You are right that Broadway has seen better days but the good news is that a lot of the buildings are being rehabbed currently and lots of retail is coming in. Apple to the Tower theater has been confirmed, Vans is building out a flagship next door, Theory is coming in next to the Eastern, Nike Jordan Brand coming to the 6th street block... In about 2 or 3 years, it will be an entirely better street!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.