World Wheel Company "Whey Aye" WHEEL at Spillers Wharf | Newcastle | Proposed - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old May 21st, 2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 175

World Wheel Company "Whey Aye" WHEEL at Spillers Wharf | Newcastle | Proposed

This warrants its own thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44196005

'Whey aye' wheel biggest in Europe and dwarfs the London Eye to be placed at Spillers Wharf along with £100 million development.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 9th, 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2018, 07:43 PM   #2
ne14ne1

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Anywhere that this can do, might warrant its own thread

'Whey aye' wheel biggest in Europe and dwarfs the London Eye to be placed at spillers Wharf along with £100 million development.
I hope that cringeworthy name doesn't stick, but otherwise...
ne14ne1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:05 PM   #3
penumbra-

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:

This may as well go straight into the pure fantasy thread

penumbra- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2018, 08:10 PM   #4
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:

'Whey aye' wheel biggest in Europe and dwarfs the London Eye to be placed at spillers Wharf along with £100 million development.

£20 it won’t happen, sounds like a bad April fools joke, sounds like an even worse attempt at PR.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 11:47 PM   #5
tameracingdriver

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
£20 it won’t happen, sounds like a bad April fools joke, sounds like an even worse attempt at PR.

I know, £100 million, right?
tameracingdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4749

My thoughts were immediately drawn to the proposal for that huge tower in Carliol Square that were kicked about last year.

Interesting that World Wheel Company web site @ http://world-wheel-company.com/ - makes this comment about the Newcastle proposal "Information will be released when open to the general public". I would have thought there would have been a bit more than that.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:51 PM   #7
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1097

I hear the sound of flapping white coats..... it's an advertising and PR company based in Newcastle working with a HK developer. Quite a few local public sector clients: Durham, Ncl University, Ncl College, Newcastle airport etc

Here's the raw press release.

http://sha-agency.com/blog/helped-reinvent-wheel/

It could potentially fit on the site [about 220x80m] but it would pose some interesting engineering challenges.

However they are also apparently going to build:

Quote:
The plans include a pedestrianised experience featuring premium bars and restaurants and a world-leading 9,000 sq m visitor attraction called the Giants of the North Experience. Featuring cutting-edge virtual mixed reality and interactive technology, the attraction will hail the achievements of the region’s famous creative and sporting individuals, and the collective giants of North East industry including ship builders and the mining community.

Along with the Giants of the North Experience, the plans will deliver a family entertainment centre and a multi-purpose play and sports complex, with covered five-a-side pitches and tennis courts, as well as a state-of-the-art virtual golf club.
And I can't quite see where that will all fit.

This is the Chinese co:

http://world-wheel-company.com/

Which is oddly reticent about the "20 family entertainment centres across the globe" they've built. Perhaps they are modest.

This is more like an ad agency kite-flying for a client .... look at us, look at us, look at all of the coverage we've got, we're really really good.

It least they've not proposed a snowdome on the site [yet] - add one of those and I d drive to the office to personally laugh in their faces..

Likely to go the same way as 'topgolf'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/busi...astle-11645141

Though a better comparison is probably Tom Dinnery:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/life...y-plan-1545038
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 01:40 PM   #8
Steve Ellwood

From http://sha-agency.com/blog/helped-reinvent-wheel/

A detailed planning application relating to the wheel and visitor attractions is due to be submitted to Newcastle City Council later this year by World Wheel Company.

Hmm............ matter of geographical ignorance or perhaps what was mentioned by Elliot this morning, living in Gateshead but saying 'I'm from Newcastle'

Of course not the first 'cog on the Tyne' - this one was here for the 2015 Tall Ships:

© www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 22nd, 2018, 01:47 PM   #9
paddytoonleics

Likes (Received): 224

Isn't that correct? Spiller's Wharf is in Newcastle.
paddytoonleics no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 01:51 PM   #10
elliott

Likes (Received): 293

Yeah it is in Newcastle, but the promo image is very deceptive as it looks like its on Gateshead Quays due to the bend in the river and about where Jury's Inn is. Tbh, that would probably a better location.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Yeah it is in Newcastle, but the promo image is very deceptive as it looks like its on Gateshead Quays due to the bend in the river and about where Jury's Inn is. Tbh, that would probably a better location.
My bad - was thinking about The Baltic Flour Mill for some strange reason

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 9th, 2018, 01:17 AM   #12
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1097

This is what you get when a PR company gets involved:

Quote:
How Freddy Shepherd helped bring the 460ft 'Whey Aye' ferris wheel to Tyneside
More: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...bring-14758410

Set to one side that despite the headline it's not actually been built [and is about as likely to be built as me being the main exhibit in the great exhibition of the north riding the Rocket down Grey Street]. You can put that down to poor editing in NCJ..

However we look to have PRs paid by name check so there'll be months of this. Next we'll have George Stephenson and Thomas Bewick as backers because one dealt with round things and the other could draw - roundness and drawing things being key aspects of the project.

Council will approve, lots of positive statements, fawning NCJ PR recycling, PR company banks cheques and it gradually disappears over the horizon.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:17 AM   #13
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1930

Team assembled for project to build Europe’s biggest observation wheel in Newcastle

The company behind a project to build Europe’s tallest observation wheel in Newcastle has appointed an advisory team to bring the scheme to fruition.
Developer World Wheel Company will build the wheel, nicknamed ‘The Whey Aye’, on the Quayside with the help of nine companies from across the North East and Yorkshire. Appointed to the development are communications agency SHA, commercial law firm Muckle, international design practice Ryder Architecture and retail property consultants @Retail, all headquartered in Newcastle.

Subject to planning approval, the observation wheel will stand almost 460 ft high – making it 16 ft taller than the iconic London Eye. Forecasts suggest it could see over £100m invested in the city and help create up to 550 jobs.
The Whey Aye would anchor a 344,500 sq ft development that includes a new food and beverage destination; a ‘world-leading’ visitor attraction; a family entertainment centre; and a multi-purpose play and sports complex with covered five-a-side pitches, tennis courts and a virtual golf club. If approved, the entire development is expected to take 18 to 24 months to build.

A detailed planning application for the wheel and visitor attractions will be submitted to Newcastle City Council later this year.

Read More - https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2018/0...ntent=readmore
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:49 AM   #14
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 807

Shut the front door this scheme is serious?

I'm more interested in the 344500 sq ft leisure development to go with it.

Is this a great idea? I feel with the Gate, Eldon Square chain restaurant development, ongoing Graingertown/Bigg Market, the stuttering Quayside on both sides of the river... is more pubs/restaurants what this part of Newcastle really need? Especially with the aforementioned sites and many others stuttering for finance and development?

As for a ferris wheel of such gargantuan proportions best placed for views? Everyones going to be craning their neck to see the Tyne's more famous landmarks down river. But they are also going to get some lovely panoramas of the ass end of the Saltmeadows and Byker.

I'd suggest the mouth of the Ouseburn would be a better place, but unfortunately that would probably cause multiple millennial/hipster folk to spit out their avocado* coffees on their business gilets.

Brett Oils site would be incredible. Sadly Newcastle would never offload such a cash cow to Gateshead. I'll at that to my list of examples as to why Tyneside not having a singular authority is consistently undermining our city.

*avocado is hipster for mushy peas.
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:26 AM   #15
penumbra-

Likes (Received): 53

Wow this is serious?! I don’t really mind the wheel but the 140m screen which will no doubt end up having McDonalds on it is a worry
penumbra- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:03 PM   #16
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by penumbra- View Post
Wow this is serious?! I don’t really mind the wheel but the 140m screen which will no doubt end up having McDonalds on it is a worry
Exactly, the wheel, yeah, the advertisement screen, no.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:05 PM   #17
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
Shut the front door this scheme is serious?

I'm more interested in the 344500 sq ft leisure development to go with it.

Is this a great idea? I feel with the Gate, Eldon Square chain restaurant development, ongoing Graingertown/Bigg Market, the stuttering Quayside on both sides of the river... is more pubs/restaurants what this part of Newcastle really need? Especially with the aforementioned sites and many others stuttering for finance and development?

As for a ferris wheel of such gargantuan proportions best placed for views? Everyones going to be craning their neck to see the Tyne's more famous landmarks down river. But they are also going to get some lovely panoramas of the ass end of the Saltmeadows and Byker.

I'd suggest the mouth of the Ouseburn would be a better place, but unfortunately that would probably cause multiple millennial/hipster folk to spit out their avocado* coffees on their business gilets.

Brett Oils site would be incredible. Sadly Newcastle would never offload such a cash cow to Gateshead. I'll at that to my list of examples as to why Tyneside not having a singular authority is consistently undermining our city.

*avocado is hipster for mushy peas.
Thats where it is going to be placed.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #18
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Thats where it is going to be placed.
Is it not at Spiller's Wharf?
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:35 PM   #19
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1930

On this forum, it is unusual for us to set up a dedicated individual "Project Thread" for such a speculative project (as this one is) at such an early stage.

We would normally wait until a Planning Application was submitted, or even until there was preparatory work starting on the ground.

We appear to still be a long way from either of those events happening, but I think that this is really quite an interesting idea, and (though it still may not happen) it is likely to generate quite a bit of discussion and interest - hence it now has its own thread!

It is also good that there is (at last) some interest in re-using the former "Spillers Wharf" site on the River Tyne in Newcastle, though I do wonder (like others have mentioned) if a large 'viewing wheel' and tourist attraction like this would be better suited to a more central location, which could take more advantage of the fantastic and spectacular City views that we have here.

However, there appears to be more to this proposal (requiring a large site around it) than just the actual wheel itself.

We do, of course, have another thread about Spillers Wharf (now closed/completed) where we covered the original Spillers Mill Demolition in great detail. That thread can be viewed over on our "Completed Projects Forum" . . .

Spillers Mill / Spillers Wharf - Demolition | Newcastle | Various | Completed
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1381421
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 01:56 PM   #20
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
Is it not at Spiller's Wharf?
It is, but that to me is a stone throw away from the mouth of the Ouseburn.

Newcastle Metro Area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
big wheel, construction, newcastle, observation wheel, project, project - newcastle area, spillers, spillers mill, spillers wharf, tourism, wheel