#Approved: DoubleTree by Hilton - 7st/27m/hotel (Townsville) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Regional Queensland

Regional Queensland Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Burden

#Approved: DoubleTree by Hilton - 7st/27m/hotel (Townsville)

Application submitted this week. Construction to start next year (hmm).

Looks pretty good though.

See the news story here.

Oriolus, Vocodr liked this post
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2018, 03:33 AM   #2
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 2338

I quite like that design, although naturally I would have liked to see them halve the footprint to double the height. This is the third design iteration its had (previous versions below), and if the DA is only now being lodged, I doubt it will be ready at the same time as the stadium opens, like was originally planned. Also link to Bulletin article from today:

‘High-end’ hotel a step closer for Townsville - Townsville Bulletin, 22nd Nov 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriolus View Post
Quote:

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2018, 03:51 AM   #3
Melb_SuperTall

Likes (Received): 39

I would like to see it taller too, definitely demand for higher quality hotels in Townsville. I have always wanted to see the Hotel Grand Chancellor (Sugar Shaker) redeveloped. I think it could be so much better then what it is, would help if they removed the balconies on it (that no one uses anyway) and dropped the windows down to floor level so they are true floor to ceiling and clad the exterior of it in glass, would make such a positive difference.
Melb_SuperTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2018, 04:38 AM   #4
GBRGB

Likes (Received): 177

Same here, bit of a non event at 7 storeys, would like to see 10-12 storeys and a smaller footprint, but I still struggle to see the commercial viability at this location, it is over a km walk to Palmer St and mall and 2km from the Strand, 12 games of footy a year and a few days for the V8’s but that’s it, considering Townsville has an occupancy rate under 60% its a big commitment.
GBRGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 1452

Did anyone happen to read the comments on the Bulletin's FB page on this story? No wonder a lot of development doesn't go ahead in this place.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2018, 12:38 AM   #6
GBRGB

I am not on Facebook so didn’t see the comments but could imagine it’s the same as most I talk to as I get around town, not exactly the most positive place at the moment, I think the issue with this particular project is the link between the Mayor and developers and a lot of people don’t trust anything involving Jenny Hill.
Old December 4th, 2018, 03:21 AM   #7
Burden

High Res renders now available through the DA on this link.

GBRGB, Oriolus liked this post
Old December 4th, 2018, 09:25 AM   #8
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Renders, and elevation (scaled height at 26.65m), and site plan of where it sits in relation to the stadium:

Visit me on flickr
Old December 4th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #9
GBRGB

The height is very interesting and may be why the hotel was this design rather than the taller version. The low points of the V sections of stadium roof are 26 metres above ground, the high points reaching a few metres above that, if they allowed the hotel to be any taller it could overshadow the stadiums visual presence in the precinct.
Old September 13th, 2019, 06:36 AM   #10
Wezza
©

There is an article in Today's Bulletin about the new Double Tree Hotel still going ahead despite being delayed by up to a year. I don't have a subscription though so can't access the article. Good to see it's still going to happen though.

Oriolus liked this post
Old September 13th, 2019, 12:29 PM   #11
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Moved your post into the project thread Wezza Several contributing reasons for the delay are mentioned in the article. Firstly, councillors had a conflict of interest because developer Focus Pacific made a campaign donation to them and hence the state government had to be involved, and they only provided their approval on 31st May. Then Focus Pacfic says they are still trying to negotiate finance for the project, and also that they want to wait until the centre of excellence that is to be built next to the stadium is confirmed before that start construction on the hotel, and that centre of excellence isn't funded yet, but have applied to the NAIF. On the other hand, they also said that a "Townsville builder had been appointed and early works on [the hotel] site would likely be in December, while construction proper would likely be in March after the worst of the wet season."

Construction of Doubletree by Hilton hotel to go ahead despite year long delay - Townsville Bulletin, 13th September 2019

Cowboys want construction of centre of excellence to begin by November - Townsville Bulletin, 7th September 2019

Visit me on flickr

Wezza liked this post
Old September 14th, 2019, 02:27 AM   #12
Wezza
©

Thanks for that mate. I forgot there was a thread already for this project.
Old December 30th, 2019, 06:46 PM   #13
verbatim9

Likes (Received): 2703

Double Tree by Hilton has been approved. Construction to start in 2020.

Townsville Bulletin---> Building of High end hotel to start in March 2020

Oriolus liked this post

Last edited by verbatim9; December 30th, 2019 at 06:52 PM.
verbatim9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 02:25 AM   #14
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

How did it take over a year for TCC to approve one small hotel, even with the conflict of interest, which was resolved in May? Surely even Sydney would have got through a DA like that quicker, and I don't think Townsville is in a position to be making the few developers that show interest in the city wait that long.

There wasn't any quote from Focus Pacific in the article to confirm the hotel is still going ahead. I think when TCC says it's expected to start construction in March, that's based on a previous quote from Focus Pacific in September.

Visit me on flickr

monkey1988, GBRGB liked this post
Old January 6th, 2020, 01:51 AM   #15
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Quote:
There wasn't any quote from Focus Pacific in the article to confirm the hotel is still going ahead. I think when TCC says it's expected to start construction in March, that's based on a previous quote from Focus Pacific in September.
I guess Focus Pacific just didn't get back to them in time, because they ran another article the next day, in which they confirmed they are still hoping to proceed with the hotel, construction still to begin in March and be finished in time for the 2021. They have been "working with Hutchinson Builders over the past nine months on the development"

DoubleTree by Hilton hotel aims to trade in Townsville by 2021 - Townsville Bulletin, 2nd January 2019

Visit me on flickr

Melb_SuperTall liked this post
Old January 6th, 2020, 02:55 AM   #16
Melb_SuperTall

Likes (Received): 39

[QUOTE=Oriolus;165324194]How did it take over a year for TCC to approve one small hotel, even with the conflict of interest, which was resolved in May? Surely even Sydney would have got through a DA like that quicker, and I don't think Townsville is in a position to be making the few developers that show interest in the city wait that long.

I know right! They are stuffing the developer of 46 Oxley Street around too (Town houses plus a shop) the site is currently vacant bar a sewage pump station but sadly because it had some old WW2 buildings on it years ago it has heritage overlay and the council has been having a back and forth with them over how they plan to address the heritage aspects of the site.. WTF there is NOTHING there. I was walking past there and it was hot and I was like gee some shade from a building or a nice shop to get a drink or something to eat would be nice? but hey weeds and dirt are better

But on a good note St Patricks new East Precinct is powering ahead.

GBRGB liked this post
Melb_SuperTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 05:09 AM   #17
Burden

I think I would prefer that old Saville hotel site to be developed, I think the density there along the foreshore would be crucial in creating a more impressive entrance into the CBD from Victoria bridge.

Oriolus liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement