Major cities not serving as county seat - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1
Jennifat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2980

Major cities not serving as county seat

Are there any major cities in the United States that do not serve as county seat of the county in which they sit?

Furthermore, are there any major cities in the country (aside from New York) whose city limits straddle the borders of more than one county?

Moreover, are there any municipalities that straddle state borders and/or share city services across state lines?
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2005, 11:13 PM   #2
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4936

atlantic city is not the county seat of its county (atlantic county). the county seat is may's landing.

two state capitals are not the county seat of the respective county they are situated in. jackson, mississippi, is not the county seat of hinds county. raymond, ms, is the county seat. lansing, michigan, is in three counties: clinton county, eaton county, and ingham county (almost the entire city is in ingham county). the county seats for those counties are st. johns, charlotte, and mason.

those are the only ones i could think of.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:22 AM   #3
MSPSCO3113

Likes (Received): 0

Ames IA is by far the largest city in Story County with a population of 50,000 but the county seat is Nevada IA which has only 6,000 people. It makes no sense.
MSPSCO3113 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:13 AM   #4
2000_Watts

Likes (Received): 5

Although Kansas City, MO (not to be confused with the seperate municipalty of Kansas City, KS) is the largest city in the state, it des not serve as a county seat because the city covers area in four different counties.

70% of the city's population in slightly less than half of the city's land area consists of the portion of the city within Jackson County, with nearby Independence serving as the official county seat. This also includes the city's urban core and CBD, which houses many Jackson Co. offices althogh Independence is the official seat.

The portion of the city north of the Missouri River includes about 1/3 of the city's population on a little more than half of the city's land area. This portion of the city, referred to as the Northland, covers area within Clay and Platte counties, with the bedroom communities of Liberty and Platte City serving as the respective county seats.

A part of the Richards-Gebaur Airport complex near the city's southern boundary extends south into Cass County, whose seat, Harrisonville, is located about 35 miles south of downtown.
2000_Watts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:19 AM   #5
Jennifat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2980

^Sounds like total chaos.
Jennifat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:04 AM   #6
ROCguy

Likes (Received): 3

I'm pretty sure that Atlanta straddles Fulton and De Kalb counties. But it is the county seat of Fulton county. Another Michigan one. Battle Creek, with about 50,000 isn't the county seat of it's county. I think it's a small town of about 10,000 called Marion or something like that. But that Lansing being the state capitol but not county seat is the most ridiculous of them all I think.
ROCguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:20 AM   #7
scando

Likes (Received): 470

Baltimore City is not part of any of the counties of Maryland. It is a separate entity, co-equal in theory with the other counties, including Baltimore County, which surrounds the city. The other weird feature of Maryland is Washington DC, which is entirely inside Maryland but not part of the State. Sometimes it seems like another country. Oddly enough, there is land on the VA side of the river that was once intended to be part of DC (a 10 mile square straddled the Potomac River) but was given back to Virginia when people figured that DC would never be large enough to need that much land. Not much foresight there.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:23 AM   #8
JivecitySTL
The Jive is Alive.

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando
Baltimore City is not part of any of the counties of Maryland. It is a separate entity, co-equal in theory with the other counties, including Baltimore County, which surrounds the city.
St. Louis is exactly the same.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:30 PM   #9
waj0527

Likes (Received): 744

I know this is weird, but I cannot comprehend the concept of cities within counties. Ive never had to deal with it. Both major cities in my area (Baltimore and Washington) are not apart of any county.

I also dont get the 5 counties making up New York City thing.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

New York City doesnt have any county seats, the respeciative bourgo does because 5 bor. = 5 counties.
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:23 PM   #11
waj0527

Likes (Received): 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_chi_boi
New York City doesnt have any county seats,
I never said it did.
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM   #12
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

double post

Last edited by xzmattzx; August 22nd, 2005 at 06:53 PM. Reason: double post
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM   #13
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

there are lots of independent cities in virginia, as well. it seems kind of strange, because according to my atlas, it seems like some independent cities also serve as the county seat for the county completely surrounding the city (martinsville, virginia, is a good example of this; it appears that this independent city is the county seat of surrounding henry county). are there any virginians that can explain this a little bit more?

another strange phenomenon is the shire town in massachusetts. it's like there are multiple county seats. for instance, the county seats and/or shire towns of middlesex county are lowell and cambridge. the county seats and/or shire towns of essex couty are salem, lawrence, and newburyport.

lastly, connecticut doesn't even have county seats (at least in my atlas). however, each county bears the same name as a city in that county, like new haven county, litchfield county, new london county, and hartford county. maybe this helps to determine the principle city. in any case, i've always wondered how a county can not have a county seat. wouldn't the city that houses the courthouse or county government be the county seat?
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #14
ROCguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
there are lots of independent cities in virginia, as well. it seems kind of strange, because according to my atlas, it seems like some independent cities also serve as the county seat for the county completely surrounding the city (martinsville, virginia, is a good example of this; it appears that this independent city is the county seat of surrounding henry county). are there any virginians that can explain this a little bit more?

another strange phenomenon is the shire town in massachusetts. it's like there are multiple county seats. for instance, the county seats and/or shire towns of middlesex county are lowell and cambridge. the county seats and/or shire towns of essex couty are salem, lawrence, and newburyport.

lastly, connecticut doesn't even have county seats (at least in my atlas). however, each county bears the same name as a city in that county, like new haven county, litchfield county, new london county, and hartford county. maybe this helps to determine the principle city. in any case, i've always wondered how a county can not have a county seat. wouldn't the city that houses the courthouse or county government be the county seat?
You are right about Virginia having so many independant cities, but I don't know what was wrong with your map of CT. Here are the county seats for Connecticut:

Fairfield County: Bridgeport
Hartford County: Hartford
Litchfield County: Litchfield
Middlesex County: Middletown
New Haven County: New Haven
New London County: Norwich
Tolland County: Rockville
Windham County: Putnam
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #15
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCguy
You are right about Virginia having so many independant cities, but I don't know what was wrong with your map of CT. Here are the county seats for Connecticut:

Fairfield County: Bridgeport
Hartford County: Hartford
Litchfield County: Litchfield
Middlesex County: Middletown
New Haven County: New Haven
New London County: Norwich
Tolland County: Rockville
Windham County: Putnam
i figured it was too strange to be true. the county government has to operate somewhere. my only reasoning was that maybe different branches of the county government work in different cities. but i'm glad everything is cleared up.
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #16
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

the county seat of niagara county in new york is lockport, not niagara falls. i would've figured one of the buffalo or rochester people would've said it by now.
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #17
gaviidae

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527
I know this is weird, but I cannot comprehend the concept of cities within counties.
I can't comprehend the concept of cities not within counties.
gaviidae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #18
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

around here all i could think of is Orange, the city of Orange is not the seat of orange county, it's Santa Ana... haha
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #19
ROCguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
i figured it was too strange to be true. the county government has to operate somewhere. my only reasoning was that maybe different branches of the county government work in different cities. but i'm glad everything is cleared up.
lol yeah, some times thos atlas's are just ridiculous. In this one $100 volume library book of maps, it has the populations for some of the towns WAY off. and has towns that I have been to and know of that have populations of well over 10,000 people, missing, non-existant.
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #20
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 1287

St. Petersburg, Florida (250,000) is the largest city in Pinellas, but Clearwater (110,000) is the county seat.
Advertisement