SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Pioneer Point | Ilford | 105m/82m | 31/25 fl

112K views 360 replies 102 participants last post by  archoptical 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the flagship project in the regeneration of Ilford Town Centre in East London. Ilford is very close to Stratford (Olympic town) and is due to have a total regeneration which will begin with this tower, along with two residential skyscraper style towers. This artist impression was released today and the design has not gone well with locals who say the tower is far too modern and is something you would find in Hong kong or Tokyo. I personally think it looks stunning! What do you think?

This is what the place used to look like, construction started last week.

See less See more
#4 ·
Jake_the_Peg said:
Will you be able to post progress photos for us, tkane?
Yeh I will do, I go past the site every day. Do you live around the area or are you just interested in this project?

And I found more info on the development:

A controversial twin tower development in Ilford has won full planning approval. Permission for Pioneer Point, a £65 million landmark designed by Haskoll for the Empire Property Group and comprising a 24-storey and a 31-storey tower on a brownfield site, was granted by the London Borough of Redbridge. Earlier this year, the Greater London Authority’s Architecture & Urbanism Unit, led by Richard Rogers, branded the scheme “clumsy”. Cabe claimed it represented “poor, inappropriate design” and had a “confused and unresolved appearance” (News January 9). But London mayor Ken Livingstone lent his support to the scheme, claiming it set new standards in architecture. Pioneer Point has also won praise for its sustainability since it includes a combined heat and power plant to provide electricity, heating and cooling.

#7 ·
Will the tower make use of the fecade of the old Pioneer Market building? Obviously what's there now doesn't look very nice in the photo you just posted but to me it seems like quite a good example of it's style of architecture and it would make quite a cool feature if it's incorporated into the new building. Imagine those ugly shopfronts being replaced with sleek glass shop and restaurant fecades and a glass tower rising above it, I think it would look really cool!

#9 ·
Andrew said:
Will the tower make use of the fecade of the old Pioneer Market building? Obviously what's there now doesn't look very nice in the photo you just posted but to me it seems like quite a good example of it's style of architecture and it would make quite a cool feature if it's incorporated into the new building. Imagine those ugly shopfronts being replaced with sleek glass shop and restaurant fecades and a glass tower rising above it, I think it would look really cool!
No, the whole market was demolished last week. I'll post a picture of the site as soon as I can.

#13 ·
#16 ·
I'm not sure I like the fact Ken overuled his Architecture Unit and CABE over this development.

Surely local towns and suburbs having the same concerns as Central London locations is an important factor with tall buildings. In fact, they should be more stringent, seeing as this will affect more people who aren't use to tall buildings in city centres than the City or Canary Wharf say.

#18 ·
DarJoLe said:
I'm not sure I like the fact Ken overuled his Architecture Unit and CABE over this development.

Surely local towns and suburbs having the same concerns as Central London locations is an important factor with tall buildings. In fact, they should be more stringent, seeing as this will affect more people who aren't use to tall buildings in city centres than the City or Canary Wharf say.
I agree that non-central areas should have extra care and attention and not less and am disappointed that CABEs comments seem to have been waved by... however Ilford needs a bit of density to add some identity as it is one sprawling mass connected to the East End and Stratford and onwards to Barking. Also at the moment there are already some sorry looking high rises on the edge by the motorway (the wonders of BT architecture again I think) so it is hardly a skyscraper plonked in the middle of low rise residential area... i wish Nimbys would get their facts right and protest about the right things then they might get somewhere... Shame the development doesnt seem to be able to make much of an impact on the major road that cuts through this bit, Ilford could end up like another sorry Hammersmith if its not careful! Although the other two residential high rises down the pedestrianised bit of Ilford look good

#19 ·
Would suck to be the guy that owns the house right next to the right of the tower podium.

#21 ·
It's not a question of being modern or otherwise but a question of aesthetics. Why can't you guys see that it's just another randomly misshapen lump of ugly glass crap? Many of you would have cheered on all horrors of the 1960s and 1970s at the time and sneered at those who opposed them just as you sneer now.

#22 ·
Philip Cronin said:
It's not a question of being modern or otherwise but a question of aesthetics. Why can't you guys see that it's just another randomly misshapen lump of ugly glass crap? Many of you would have cheered on all horrors of the 1960s and 1970s at the time and sneered at those who opposed them just as you sneer now.
I've yet to see any indication from yourself of what you consider good architecture to be on these forums Philip.

It seems you sneer at anything that is made of glass just as much as we sneer at people who oppose these 'mishapen lumps of ugly glass crap'.

#23 ·
I sneer at everything and everyone. Mwah ha ha ha!!!

This deisgn is pretty crap though, it's got all the same mistakes of the 60's-70's highrises but with fancy glass cladding.
The podium shouldn't rise straight out of the street like that. It's putting a barrier between the public and the towers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.