Spire London | West India Dock | 235m | 67 fl | On Hold - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #1
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 348

Spire London | West India Dock | 235m | 67 fl | On Hold

Think what you want of this thread and my post. But I popped into CW today, specifically at Heartsmere house today to have a little peak and to talk to a few people. It seems, Columbus tower, the Phantom Project, I should say will not be going ahead at all what so ever. I swear, I really do hope someone proves me wrong, but its the truth . I sopke to a gentleman at the desk today. Don't know if you know him, but he's been working there for years now. Big bloke, bald, has a tan. Well, I approached him:

Him: "Hello there, I can I help you?"

Me: "Hi, I was just wondering was it Barclays that were in this building?" (just to get the ball rolling. I already knew that)

Him: "Yeh. They moved out into thier new tower accross the Wharf. About half a year, a year-ish."

Me: "In that case wasn't this building meant to be demolished to make way for a new tower? Columbus Tower?"

Him: "Ah, yes. The 50-odd storey tower. Well, this building isn't going to be demolished to make way for that! You see what it was the previous owners applied for planning permission of the tower. The price of the building then rose dramtically due to the planning permission. They then sold it at a sky high price. The new owners, now have control, and are currently refurishing the building with new air con and facilities and all the rest. They don't plan on moving out or building high any time soon. It'll be doubtful that this'll get demolished. You'na what i'm saying?"

Me: "Yeh. Cheers mate."

There you have it Don't believe me, ask the man yourself. Shame really, would've been the tallest until LBT or DIFA, and better yet. The design was really good, very different to the rest of the CW towers.
eXSBass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #2
GangstaD

Likes (Received): 1

I just dont get why someone would then buy the site at the "sky high price" just to keep it pretty much as it is.

Lilbaz liked this post
GangstaD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #3
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

I really don't know my self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

never really liked Columbus, my least favourite of all the proposals.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #5
london lad

Likes (Received): 3691

What it prob means is whoever bought the site (wonder who was that as it wasn't reported anywhere) will either wait for the market to pick up a bit in the Docklands & build what ha permission or wait until someone else wants to buy the site & then build either this tower or build another. What makes the site valuable is that it has permission for a 200m+ building so whoever owns the site can sell this on & if someone wants to build something similarly tall it would be able to get planning permission easier than otherwise.

Still bloody shame though as it means it could be years before something gets built here.

Someone send Beetham a hint , im sure they would love to get ther hands on this sort of site & whats moere they would build asap
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Chief Gherkin

Likes (Received): 0

seems a bit strange. How long is the planning perm for? Would be a little silly buying the property at inflated price because of the permission then not utilising it and it will then probably expire and the value will crash. There must be more to it.
Chief Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #7
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 5

I hope it's not true. It's one of my favourite proposals and will help make CW "un-boxy" to an extent. Never liked the base though.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #8
Prince

Likes (Received): 145

Sorry this is off topic but I just that it was you, eXSBass, that posted the London Summary over at overclocekrs.
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #9
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1731

Is there any other bigger projects for CW?? I dont get it why they cant build towers at the same speed as in China in CW. In downtown i get why because London is such an old city and blah, blah...But CW doesnt look that historical, does it? Why jst dont build many buildings tere??
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #10
Jonny 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika
Is there any other bigger projects for CW?? I dont get it why they cant build towers at the same speed as in China in CW. In downtown i get why because London is such an old city and blah, blah...But CW doesnt look that historical, does it? Why jst dont build many buildings tere??
^Why is everything you post so stupid?

They can't going to build things if they've got no tenents lined up or enough money to build them.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #11
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Also there are height restrictions due to the nearby London city airport.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #12
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince
Sorry this is off topic but I just that it was you, eXSBass, that posted the London Summary over at overclocekrs.
Yep! That was me aright :-) Glad to see I know someone around here!

Anyway, it's not going up
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #13
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

bah! shame really - I liked the crown of the building, its sail shaped profile, its position at the head of West India Quay. Oh why do they torment us so?!?
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #14
spenster

Likes (Received): 11

Not really that bothered because I would rather Leadenhall, or LBT to get pre-lets so they can go ahead - It still seams pretty tough office market at the moment.
spenster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #15
LondonerUpNorth

I won't draw any conclusions until I see something official. I'm not going to belive someone I don't know tell a story he heard from someone he doesn't know who wouldn't know anyway cos he only works on the reception desk.
I'll wait until something solid and belivable is said.
LondonerUpNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #16
Lord_Bertrum
Be the Love Generation

Likes (Received): 12

I've got to say eXSbass, you really need to work on your interviewing technique a little bit.
Lord_Bertrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #17
Butcher

Likes (Received): 3

Don't let Mac see this thread

Still, who knows. Lets look on the bright side. Maybe there will be a better tower approved for the site in the future.

Or maybe by some twist of fate the tower will actually be built.

When I walk through the shadow of the valley of death
I will fear no evil, cause I'm the biggest son of a bitch in the valley!

Best of Britain

Last edited by Butcher; October 18th, 2005 at 06:45 AM.
Butcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #18
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1731

"Why is everything you post so stupid?"

Whats you ******* problem, i was just beeing curious!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #19
Andrew

Likes (Received): 56

That's interesting, why would the buyers of the site buy it at such a high price because it has planning permission if they have no intention of building? The pp will expire in 3 years so they can't wait long. If they're upgrading the current building then it looks like they have no intention of demolishing it within the next 3 years (unless they have too much money and can afford to waste it on improvements that will be got rid of in less than three years time.
Andrew está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #20
jef

We know for months now that this tower will never be built. We can forget about it.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
canary, columbus, east london, hertsmere, tower, wharf