The Place | Southwark | 88m | 18 fl - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 11385

The Place | Southwark | 88m | 18 fl

Located next to The Shard, the current building will go from this:

to this!

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13343

Nice, but very stumpy. For that same amount of floorspace, you could build 2 Tower 42's.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Eastender

Likes (Received): 4

oh no! it looks much smaller, than the current tower
Eastender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #4
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 1842

Shame we couldn't have that WITH the old, rather than replacing it..
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #5
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

I prefer the old one TBH. It's not stunning, but a pleasant enough building. The new one is stumpy and pretty ugly.

Seems like change for changes sake IMO.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #6
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Renzo Piano, architect on both schemes, said New London Bridge House would "float like the rock of Magritte above the ground"

Get your head out of your ass Mr Piano.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v¥v
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #7
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14679

hmmm 17 floors by my count... at lets say 4.2 m per floor plus that facade overrun, should be 70-80 in height.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #8
Chief Gherkin

Likes (Received): 0

better to reclad the old one surely
Chief Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #9
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3496

I suppose its a good thing that is becoming less conspicuous than the current London Bridge House, as it will give LBT more clout visually, and I think this design is much more complimentary to LBT.

Guy's is still going to look awful next to LBT though
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #10
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 369

Yeh it looks good but not great. I reckon it would have been better if they is some sort of monument or statue thing there. Guys still looks like the same brown piece of shit piercing through the skyline. My prediction is it'll go down by 2010 or start to think about taking it down by then. People will start to realise this part of Southwark is needed for office space.
Is it not possible to reclad Guys, get the hospital out and get partitioners in and convert it into office spaces?
eXSBass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #11
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass
Is it not possible to reclad Guys, get the hospital out and get partitioners in and convert it into office spaces?
Its not that simple to relocate a whole hospital. Also, its NHS, they just dont have the money to do somthing like that............believe it or not they have more important things to worry about than recladding or relocating just because guys tower is ugly

Old December 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #12
Bob

Likes (Received): 16

I think it looks good, but very difficult to judge from the night time render. If it improves the interplay at ground level it will have done its job. I've never much liked the current building and the ground level is horrendous.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #13
Jake_the_Peg

Does anyone know where LBT will be in that rendering? Is the viewpoint from where the the tower will be?
Jake_the_Peg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #14
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14679

yes it is.
have filed an interview request with CLS.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #15
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 639

HHHM it's....modern! I agree. Why are we knocking down everything with some height and replacing it with something of height. We will end up with the same number of towers we started with! Build it next door.

Guys Tower is a statement of its time and not pretty today. Never-the-less, lets hold on to our WORLD TITLE as we dont have that many...

...it is still the tallest hospital in the world

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #16
Peyre
Waiting for 122

hehe, good point.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #17
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyre
hehe, good point.

Hey Peter. I just looked at your website and it is, well...I wish I had your talents when I was your age (althought the internet had not been invented then) well done!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #18
London

Well... Piano knows what his doing. It's short and stumpy because it will compliment the Shard's height and thin-ness.

One of his key scenario's faced with Renzo was to design a neighbour building that compliments it.
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #19
jef

Likes (Received): 5

The full story is reported in The Times http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...938895,00.html

The Times December 19, 2005

Property tycoon proposes 'Baby Shard' building
By Jenny Davey

IRVINE SELLAR, the multimillionaire property entrepreneur, is planning to build a £400 million office and shopping development spanning 600,000 sq ft next door to the proposed “Shard of Glass” skyscraper at London Bridge, The Times has learnt.
The new project, which will be called the “Baby Shard”, is three quarters the size of Canary Wharf tower and has been designed by Renzo Piano, the Italian architect, who teamed up with the Richard Rogers Partnership to build the Pompidou modern art museum in Paris.

Under the proposals, which will be submitted to Southwark council early in the new year, an office tower that was built in the 1970s will be demolished to make way for the new structure. The new structure will retain the name of the existing building, New London Bridge House.

Mr Sellar said that he hoped that the project would form the kernel of a new “London Bridge quarter”, breathing fresh life into the busy transport hub. A new, bigger bus station will be constructed to the north of the building, with 21 stands, replacing the existing 13-stand station.

Meanwhile, a new public space would be developed between the Shard and New London Bridge House, transforming the concrete concourse with an open piazza planted with trees. The nearby tube and bus station would also be enlarged and opened up to allow more natural light to filter in through the use of skylights and glass bricks.

New London Bridge House will, it is planned, feature a 36,000 sq ft inclined roof with solar panels, which will allow solar energy to be used as a significant power source for the building.

The news comes just days after Mr Sellar and his joint venture partners, CLS, the listed property company, and Simon Halabi settled a legal dispute about their ownership stakes in the proposed Shard of Glass project, which will become Europe’s tallest tower when it is built.

They agreed an out-of-court settlement, which brought to an end a court case in Jersey that had aimed to resolve the row.

Mr Sellar said that the partners had now “kissed and made up” and all remained committed to the development of the London Bridge quarter.

As part of the agreement, Mr Halabi will become an equal partner in the New London Bridge House project alongside Mr Sellar’s Sellar Property Group and CLS. The three partners will also have equal stakes in the Shard of Glass development.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #20
Jake_the_Peg

One Canada Sq has 1,200,000 sq ft of space (from Gothic's site). This has 600,000. How does the 'journalist' make it 3/4 the size, then?
Jake_the_Peg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london