ADELAIDE: Adelaide Transport Projects (Part 2) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2005, 02:46 AM   #1
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 14312

ADELAIDE: Adelaide Transport Projects (Part 2)

Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2022, 338 Pitt-2024.. https://www.buildsydney.com/forum

Last edited by AtD; April 29th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
CULWULLA no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #2
kota16

Likes (Received): 0

The City of Adelaide has become the dead heart for retail due to Westfield Shopping centres with free car parking east, west, south and north. Voting is not compulsory in SA council elections, and Adelaide City Councillors are elected by around 25%, and most often by landowners who live Singapore or Hong Kong, or wherever on the planet. The SA Govt Rann plan is to bring the city alive with a modern system like Portland,OR.USA. Adelaide will become the 'star' with the new trams coming in across the green parklands, from North Adelaide, Adelaide Airport, Norwood and Glenelg. But sadly, like everywhere in Australia we get people in council who have little imagination.
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 489

Just dont put trams on North Terrace!
Giorgio no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #4
AG

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
Just dont put trams on North Terrace!
Why not?
AG no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #5
Giorgio

that would totaly spoil it. I suppose it wouldnt be too bad but id rather not.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #6
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 2606

How would it spoil it?
AtD no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #7
redstar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

all i can say is that if you want tourists and business investors in adelaide, all you gotta do is make the CBD livable, and if thats to go ahead, then just stick the trams wherever needed. along with the modern skyline.

do put them on north terrace, i could not think of a better place where modern trasm could run along a funky streetscape with historic a modern delights.
redstar no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #8
AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar
all i can say is that if you want tourists and business investors in adelaide, all you gotta do is make the CBD livable, and if thats to go ahead, then just stick the trams wherever needed. along with the modern skyline.
And what is the basis for this argument?
AG no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #9
bdm

Hi! I'm new!

Adelaide is too spread out. The suburbs go for ages, and the focal points are Westfield Marion, The bay or elsewhere - not the CBD. In town there is Rundle Mall, Rundle Street and North Terrace. The CBD does not have a shopping center that even compares to Marion (which is bloody brilliant). And it doesn't have the liveliness of the bay.

Trams are a good move (specially those new German ones!), I just wish we could have an integrated transport system reaching everywhere - we've got trams for this, obahn for that, a rail system that just seems to be dying and buses that just keep on appearing.
bdm no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #10
Mants
transatlanticism

Likes (Received): 5

one thing i have learnt...where's the dough gonna come from?? $$$$
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #11
Mants
transatlanticism

Old November 14th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #12
JAKJ

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar

do put them on north terrace, i could not think of a better place where modern trasm could run along a funky streetscape with historic a modern delights.
North terrace Shouldn't even have car traffic on it! A few years back there was a plan (I think it was called "Adelaide vision" in 1996 or there abouts) Which called for a North terrace tunnel between Frome road and king william, and the surface turned into a pedestrian boulevard with cafes lining the city side. That would have been great! (That and the destruction of ugly ugly napier/ligertwood uni building, and the rebuilding of the old exhibition centre, but that will never happen:

Even though it was the 60s I still can't believe they tore this one down!
JAKJ no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #13
kota16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mants
Stop being such a scrooge Mants. We have a war on terror going on abroad, which costs Australia $billions. Do you ask the PM whether we can afford it? Of course Adelaide can afford it.
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #14
Mants
transatlanticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by kota16
Stop being such a scrooge Mants. We have a war on terror going on abroad, which costs Australia $billions. Do you ask the PM whether we can afford it? Of course Adelaide can afford it.
scrooge...hehehe... well im onli sayin that cos weneva i say sumfin other ppl criticize it...

butdo u realli think it is worth it? trams may become a real traffic hazard and an annoyance to drivers, thats why my mum hates melbourne so much...

besides, we ripped all the ttracks out x-years ago, and now were talking about relaying the tracks... to me it seema a bit farfetched
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #15
kota16

Yeah its worth it, wait and see.The Adelaide trams are going to be better than the ones in Melbourne.
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #16
Mants
transatlanticism

tram town instead of the city of churches?
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #17
kota16

A lot of tourists think it is tramp town. Especially around Victoria Square
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #18
redstar
BANNED

well, seems every-one agrees that adelaide is in need of a tram network.

think about it this way

2005: drivers on road
soon: tram line built on road, drivers pissed off at tram lines interfering w/ their commute
later: trams seem to be going quicker - drivers catch trams
even later: less cars on road - more room for trams
and after that: trams go even quicker - more patronage
and then again after that: demand for more trams and services on the rise - lesser cars on the road.

so to force or persuade people to use public transport - piss them off at first, make them relaise theyre wrong and ta-da! although one may argue its not as simple as that. but in a town like adelaide - yeah thats possible.
redstar no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #19
AG

Are you educated?

If a tram line is built onto of road lanes like in Chapel Street in Melbourne, then the trams won't be going any quicker than the traffic, because they'll be caught in it as well. The average speed of a typical tram is around 30km/h, including stoppages.

The Cross City Tunnel and the changes to the streets above it were designed to frustrate drivers and try and make them use the tunnel. It didn't work. The vast majority of drivers would still rather deal with the even worse congestion than pay the $3.53 toll to use the tunnel across the Sydney CBD.
AG no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #20
Giorgio

Adelaide needs a tram netwrok but placing tracks on North terrace will spoil the street scape. I don't agree with no cars, its great driving down it and the cars dont spoil it. Resturants is a crappy idea aswell, North Tce is just not the place. The City is alot better than the bay. The Bay is extremely dumpy (Jetty Road..eww) but look at Rundle street, Its very clean and attractive. Its the best street which presents Adelaide as the Food and Wine capital. The problem is, Adelaide has a very stay home type attitude and it becomes very dead by 9pm (I envy Melbourne for being very lively).

Anyway, City has alot more potential than the bay. It just needs a more open council.
Just my opinion. Anyway, why do we need trams down North Terrace? Were beter off making a detour around it to not spoil the unique streetscape.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread