Landmark | Oxford Street | 59m | 14 fl | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #1
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 23

Landmark | Oxford Street | 59m | 14 fl | U/C

What going on here then, surely someones going to buy this and turn it into a theatre or something.

Last edited by TheGrand; November 7th, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #2
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Likes (Received): 1

Think this is a goner - tates may be able to pour more on this one.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #3
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 45856

Yep! This and Elizabeth House will be demolished!
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #4
TheGrand

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
Whats replacing it? Something made out of green glass I take it
TheGrand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #5
SleepyOne

Quote:
I dont remember hearing anything about the Odeon going?
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #6
doka..dan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I saw Bed knobs & Broomsticks there.... many years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(PS please do not swear & may god be with you!!!!!!!!!)
doka..dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Don't think anyone has officially sleeps - but from what I believe the Odeon is not listed and with Lizzy House facing the chop and barclaycard's proposed move from the building next to both of these, wholesale development is a possibility...but I think Tate's may be able to add more to this.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Gavin
SSC Member

Likes (Received): 287

You have to hope for a big redevelopment of this area with the odean and liz house going. I wouldnt mind keeping the front facade of the odean though. One thing i really hope happens is that a developer looks at integrating a better raod system around their new buildings including the closing of the road through st peters square and its relocation down the back of lizzy house. I also want the bus route sent down portland st and the closing of that bus stop too. Would make peters sq great but council wont do it.
Since i'm ranting, does anyone else really hate that stupid private road the council have between their two buildings. Council are meant to take a lead on traffic redcution and they have that thing. Worst of all, it is signalised at both ends which delays all of the other traffic. I dont mind ped crossings but signalised junctions take the piss.
Lets do something about it.

Also, if liz house and odean are redeveloped, dont expect a scraper. I reckon its too close to the historic library/town hall collection of buildings and would poss block views of the town hall tower which would be a no-no.
Gavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #9
skymann
Gtr Mcr,1st after Gtr Ldn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
Good news for Eliz Ho, but bad news if the Odeon bldg is demolished (unless they replace it with a new theatre). Mcr needs another theatre and this location is great. I bet it wouldn't be that much to convert the cinema into a theatre - would complement Palace and Opera Hs for mainstream productions and with Green Room, Royal Exchange, Library Theatre nearby and Contact just down Oxford Road, would be great for city centre theatreland. I like the 30s building as well, but they could built what they liked here IMHO as long as it incorporated a theatre complex.
skymann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #10
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Likes (Received): 1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
You have to hope for a big redevelopment of this area with the odean and liz house going. I wouldnt mind keeping the front facade of the odean though. One thing i really hope happens is that a developer looks at integrating a better raod system around their new buildings including the closing of the road through st peters square and its relocation down the back of lizzy house. I also want the bus route sent down portland st and the closing of that bus stop too. Would make peters sq great but council wont do it.
Since i'm ranting, does anyone else really hate that stupid private road the council have between their two buildings. Council are meant to take a lead on traffic redcution and they have that thing. Worst of all, it is signalised at both ends which delays all of the other traffic. I dont mind ped crossings but signalised junctions take the piss.
Lets do something about it.

Also, if liz house and odean are redeveloped, dont expect a scraper. I reckon its too close to the historic library/town hall collection of buildings and would poss block views of the town hall tower which would be a no-no.
Hello dear. How are you? Not seen you for a while. I think the last time I was rushing past you on Chorlton street wasn't I?

Anyway, I don't think there's any chance of the bus route through St Peter's Square being closed - traffic on Portland street can already be hell at evening rush hour, and a diversion such as this as you have proposed would cause absolute carnage at an already saturated Piccadilly Gardens bus station (Parker street side).

So nur.
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Farsight

Likes (Received): 1011

I don't have any strong view on this. It's not so brilliant that I'd be bothered if it got demolished. IMHO the only thing that's potentially worth keeping is the front facade, and even that's no great shakes. So I wouldn't want its retention getting in the way of progress. I would however hope that the site continued to provide some kind of amenity or entertainment use. PS: It doesn't look like a good site for a highrise, though I might be wrong.

Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #12
mrout

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrand
Oh and anyone who says knock it down is just a gimp

knock it down. it's old, and awful.
mrout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #13
highriser

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymann
Good news for Eliz Ho, but bad news if the Odeon bldg is demolished (unless they replace it with a new theatre). Mcr needs another theatre and this location is great. I bet it wouldn't be that much to convert the cinema into a theatre - would complement Palace and Opera Hs for mainstream productions and with Green Room, Royal Exchange, Library Theatre nearby and Contact just down Oxford Road, would be great for city centre theatreland. I like the 30s building as well, but they could built what they liked here IMHO as long as it incorporated a theatre complex.
Manchester is getting a new theatre,music venue if the Fire Station plans are true

As for the Odeon,it's not that great, i say flatten it with Lizzie House
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #14
Phil Evans

Hey,

does have the name of the current owner of this building? I'm trying to make contact.
Phil Evans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #15
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

The facade is the least good thing about the Odeon. Much of the original grandeuron the interior is still intact behind the subdivision.
If it was to be listed (which it wont) it certainly wouldnt be on the frontage which is, at best, plain.
It would make a great theatre because the other theatres in the city are locked and cannot adapt for the modern swanky hi tech production and the Odeon has room to expand at the rear.
Not gonna happen though - unless EH get a rush of blood to the head and list it its gonna go!
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #16
Griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
The facade is the least good thing about the Odeon. Much of the original grandeuron the interior is still intact behind the subdivision.
If it was to be listed (which it wont) it certainly wouldnt be on the frontage which is, at best, plain.
I agree with this. I think it's a shame that more emphasis isn't put on interiors when considering buildings for listing. The inside of a building tells just as much about a period in architecture as the exterior, but listings are almost always done on the basis of their external appearance. I wonder how many buildings have been demolished without a thought having been given to what's inside?
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #17
M13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
Much of the original grandeuron the interior is still intact behind the subdivision.
Does anybody have any photographs of this or infact any of the interiors of Manchester's theatres- I've never been able to find any interior shots- perhaps we could start a Manchester Theatres Thread- Im sure Longstockings would be happy to contribute about his namesake...
M13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #18
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Whats it like inside, does it have a balcony like the footage or the apollo? Carling have just spenta fortune (and done a very good job) on an old bingo hall in Newcastle opening it as Newcastle Carling Academy, it would be good if something similar could be done here, a live music venue of real quality right in the centre of town.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #19
spacepostman
Fairy Godmother

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Evans
Hey,

does have the name of the current owner of this building? I'm trying to make contact.

I was walking past the other day and some woman was opening one of the blue boards with a key so someone is still in charge, she might have just been getting the post or something but then... redirection? Try the Odeon HQ in London, I am sure they will know.
spacepostman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #20
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

I have pictures of the original interior somewhere (the procesenium arch and amazing ceiling are still intact apparently) - i'll need to scan them in though.
My Masters dissertation was about cinemas so i have lots of stuff on them - its whether i can be bothered to scan it all in though to be honest!
I do know the new owner's name Phil but cant remember it off hand - if i do remember i'll let you know - its not Odeon for sure so dont bother with them (they change ownership themselves every five minutes aswell so they are useless). He is an evil property developer that i do know!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: