Best of British Bridges - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Bridges

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:00 PM   #1
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1519

Best of British Bridges

Britain's waterways, roads and coutrysides are spanned by a wonderful variety of bridges, ranging from the graceful stone arched structures of mediaeval times to today's metallic monsters which tower high above our rivers and sweep dramatically across the skyline. Each one is different with its own history and character and forms a significant crossing place in time.
Throughout the centuries, bridges have provided the backdrop for historic battles and meetings and have come to symbolise progress and the bringing of communities together.

So here is a selection of some of the best our country has to offer

Iron Bridge, Shropshire

Built in the 1770s the historic Bridge in Shropshire used techniques and materials which revolutionised the craft of bridge building.

Pulteney Bridge

The Pulteney Bridge reflects the Palladian elegance in the City of Bath where it crosses the River Avon. Lined with shops, it was designed by Robert Adam and built between 1769 - 1774.

Clifton Suspension Bridge

The Clifton Suspension Bridge, spanning the beautiful Avon Gorge, is the symbol of the city of Bristol. For almost 150 years this Grade I listed structure has attracted visitors from all over the world.
The bridge was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

The Menai Suspension Bridge

With a central span of 580 feet, the Menai bridge was the longest clear span in the world when it was completed in 1826.

Forth Railway Bridge & Forth Road Bridge

Completed in 1890 the great Forth railway bridge was not the first cantilever bridge to be built, but it was certainly the longest. Designed by Benjamin Baker to bridge the Firth of Forth in Scotland, it utilized three towers, with cantilever arches extending from each. The result was two clear spans of 1700 feet each.

The Forth Road bridge was opened by Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh on 4 September 1964. The bridge's central main span is 3298 ft (1006 m) long, its two side spans are each 1338 ft (408 m) long, and the approach viaducts are 827 ft (252 m) on the north side and 1437 ft (438 m) on the south side. It was hence the longest suspension bridge outwith the United States and the fourth-largest in the world at the time of its construction.

The Humber Bridge

At the time of opening, the Humber Bridge was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the world, with a centre span of 1,410 metres. Its total length is 2,220 metres.

Gateshead Millennium Bridge, Newcastle

Already acclaimed worldwide for its physical and aesthetic beauty, it has fast become a significant tourist attraction in its own right.
Huge hydraulic rams, one on each side, tilt the bridge back on special pivots to allow small ships and boats to pass underneath. Its appearance during this manoeuvre has led to it being nicknamed the Blinking Eye Bridge.

Tyne Bridge, Newcastle

The Tyne Bridge was designed by Mott, Hay and Anderson who based their design on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which in turn derived its design from the Hell Gate Bridge in New York.
The bridge was completed and opened in 1928 by King George V and the Queen who were the first to use the roadway travelling in their Ascot landau.

Tower Bridge, London

The bridge was opened in 1893 by the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII of the United Kingdom and his wife, Alexandra of Denmark.

Skye Bridge

Construction began in 1992 and the bridge was opened by Secretary of State for Scotland Michael Forsyth on October 16, 1995.

Queen Elizabeth Bridge

Runcorn Bridge

When constructed in 1961 The Silver Jubilee Bridge was the third longest span steel arch bridge in the world. It is still believed to be the UK's longest local authority owned highway bridge and is now a Grade II Listed Building.

First Severn crossing (Bottom) & Second Severn crossing (Top)

Wye Bridge, is a 1340 ft (408 m) long cable-stayed bridge, which crosses the border of the River Wye into Wales, 3 km south of Chepstow. The deck is an orthotropic box girder similar to the Severn Bridge but has a different appearance as it has two sets of cable stays on each of two towers (originally there was only one set of cable stays but these were replaced during the strengthening works in the late 1980s).

The second crossing is 3.186 miles (5128 m) long, consisting of a single central navigation span over the 'Shoots' channel and approach viaducts on either side. The central span is of cable-stayed construction.

Tay Rail Bridge

Opened on 13 July 1887, remains in use today. In 2003, a 20.85M strengthening and refurbishment project on the Bridge won the British Construction Industry Civil Engineering Award, in consideration of the staggering scale and logistics involved.

Tay Road Bridge

It is around 1.4 miles long - making it one of the longest bridges in Europe.
Following completion in 1966 at an estimated cost of 6 million, The Queen Mother opened the bridge on August 18.

Ribblehead Viaduct

The first stone was laid on 12 October 1870 and the last in 1874. It is 104 feet (32 m) high and spans 440 yards (402 m). It is made up of 24 arches. It is located at the foot of the mountain of Whernside.

Royal Albert Bridge

Although authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1864, construction did not commence until 1870, delayed by work on the Chelsea Embankment. The bridge opened first on the 31st December 1872, soon thereafter closing to re-open on 23 August 1873. The designer was Rowland Mason Ordish, who conceived a rigid suspension bridge with a length of 710 feet, width of 41ft. and a centre span of 400ft. Construction costs are estimated at 90,000.

Millennium Bridge, London

The design of the bridge was decided by a competition organised in 1996 by Southwark council. The winning entry was an innovative "blade of light" effort from Arup, Foster and Partners and Sir Anthony Caro. Due to height restrictions, and to improve the view, the bridge's suspension design had the supporting cables below the deck level, giving a very shallow profile.

Union Bridge

When it opened in 1820 it was the longest iron suspension bridge in the world with a span of 137 metres (449 ft). Today it is the oldest suspension bridge still carrying road traffic.

Orwell Bridge

The main span is 190 metres which, at the time of its construction, was the longest pre-stressed concrete span in use. The total length is 1,287 metres from Wherstead to the site of the former Ipswich Airport. The width is 24 metres with an Air Draft of 43 metres. Pilings were sunk 40 metres into the river bottom.

Craigellachie Bridge

Craigellachie Bridge is a cast iron arch bridge located in Speyside, Moray, Scotland near the village of Aberlour. It was designed by the renowned civil engineer Thomas Telford and built from 18121814. The bridge has a single span of approximately 46 m and was revolutionary for its time.

Bridge of Sighs Oxford (Top) & Cambridge (Bottom)

Galton Bridge

Galton Bridge is a canal bridge in Smethwick, West Midlands, England built by Thomas Telford in 1829. When it was constructed, its single span of 151 feet (46 metres) was the longest in the world. It is a Grade I listed building.

Tamar Bridge and Royal Albert Bridge.

The Tamar Bridge is a major road bridge in southwest England carrying traffic between Devon and Cornwall. When it opened in 1961 it was the longest suspension bridge in the United Kingdom. In 2001 it became the world's first suspension bridge to be widened (from three to five lanes) using cantilevers, and the world's first bridge to undergo strengthening and widening work while remaining open to traffic.

The Roal Albert bridge was designed in 1855 by Isambard Kingdom Brunel for the Cornwall Railway Company after Parliament rejected his original plan for a train ferry across the Hamoaze. The bridge consists of two main spans of 455 feet (139 m), 100 feet (30 m) above mean high spring tide, plus seventeen much shorter approach spans.

Out of all these bridges, I've only been accorss three of them; the Humber Bridge, the Orwell Bridge and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.

Visit Grantham Linconshire

Last edited by eddyk; February 2nd, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2006, 04:03 AM   #2
Butcher

Likes (Received): 3

wow, lots of good, high quality bridges. I like the combination of really long bridges and shorter, more elegant bridges.

When I walk through the shadow of the valley of death
I will fear no evil, cause I'm the biggest son of a bitch in the valley!

Best of Britain

Highcliff liked this post
Butcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

I like the elegance that they put into bridges in the 19thC.

Thats something we have sadly lost now and modern bridges look so plain and less inspiring.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2006, 06:18 PM   #4
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 17

Great Thread Eddy

AndrewC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #5
elsanto

Likes (Received): 0

I like the QE bridge
elsanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:23 AM   #6
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 81

Well done Eddy

Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 394

My favourite is the millenium bridge in Newcastle/Gateshead, but then again I am biased lol. Funny thing about the Newcastle Tyne bridge is, even though it was based on the Sydney harbour bridge, it was opened 4 years earlier

Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #8
carvin77

Likes (Received): 3

Clifton Suspension Bridge - look very well...

carvin77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 232

Chicago ? Detroit ? no Middlesborough.

Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 5

No Humber Bridge. Id like to see more pics of that

Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Agent Vengence

Likes (Received): 4

the picture of the humber bridge didnt come up on my Pc. damn

they look great though, ive been across the severn bridges many times. Its amazing.

Agent Vengence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #12
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1519

The Humber Bridge

Visit Grantham Linconshire

eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #13
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1178

The Iron Bridge is my favourite and the symbol of my home town 'The Birthplace of Industry' apparently

Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM   #14
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 75

Tower Bridge is very impressive !
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey

cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #15
Seth Gecko

I am scared of water.

Seth Gecko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #16
Puto
Indiegente

Likes (Received): 67

Fantastic in Newcastle there are such amazing bridges..

:: The Alternative Music Project Facebook Radio ::

Puto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #17
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 1194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Gecko
I am scared of water.
Does that include showering? Would explain a lot.

The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #18
fernan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
Iron Bridge, Shropshire

Built in the 1770s
fernan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #19
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1178

It's a shame that nobody cares about British bridges. Oh and the Forth Rail Bridge should definately be in here.

Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #20
matherto

the Forth Rail bridge is in here

good to see a decent picture of my local(ish) Runcorn Bridge

and the Humber is huge

matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement