Merchant Square | Paddington Basin | 150m, 66m, 65m, 63m, 52m, 49m | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #1
london lad

Likes (Received): 3741

Merchant Square | Paddington Basin | 150m, 66m, 65m, 63m, 52m, 49m | U/C

Click here for the project timeline - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=104

-- wjfox

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New plans for Paddington & looks like the rumour that Rogers tower being cancelled has been confirmed. As Luke mentioned in anotehr thread estate gazettes has a rendering of a 43 storey multiplex res tower - so if anyone cvan get there hands on a copy.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...034504,00.html

Developers to submit 700m Paddington Basin plans
By Jenny Davey

DEVELOPERS at Paddington Basin in West London are poised to submit plans for a 700 million office, shopping and housing project that would be one of the biggest new developments in the capital, The Times has learnt.
Paddington Development Corporation, owned by Pearcroft, a private property group connected to Bruce Jarvis, the multimillionaire Labour donor, and a joint venture between the billionaire Reuben brothers and Multiplex, the Australian property group, is proposing a 1.8 million sq ft development, spanning six buildings.

The development is planned for land that had been earmarked for the Paddington Health Campus, which was set to become the countrys biggest private finance initiative hospital scheme, before the collapse of the project last year.

It also replaces an earlier commercial scheme, which had included the Grand Union building, a 650,000 sq ft office tower designed by the Richard Rogers Partnership.

The new planning application to Westminster City Council includes a mix of offices and shops as well as 559 homes, of which 30 per cent will be social housing. The project has been named Merchant Square to reflect the areas past as a key trading area.

The developers have already had discussions with Westminster Council and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment about the scheme, but it is the first time the details of the project have been made public.

It is expected that planning permission will be granted by the end of this year and construction work will start on site in 2007.

The Reuben brothers and Multiplex acquired a 50 per cent stake in the Paddington Development Corporation after teaming up with Westfield, the Australian shopping centre giant, to bid for Chelsfield, the property group.

Last edited by wjfox; August 7th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

If it's residential then the height will be roughly the same as before, around 120-130m.

This is the previous design for the Grand Union Building:

Last edited by wjfox; April 14th, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

I hope the new tower will be up to the standards of the GUB. It wont be taller considering that Westminster council reduced the initial height of the previous tower.

Last edited by Manuel; February 13th, 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #4
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 348

I like that alot. Reminds me of Heron
eXSBass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #5
wjfox
Futurist

^ From that angle, yes.

But from the other side it looks completely different!
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

I never liked that design, it's very lazy.

It always felt to me like Rogers just took some of his old designs from the mid 90's and mushed them together.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #7
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 348

I like Rogers' towers alot.
eXSBass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #8
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

I was a fan of the GUB too, well at least resi towers get built quickly, with them not having to get that office pre-let. Anyone know who the architects will be? Any renders?
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #9
Eastender

Likes (Received): 4

I would never buy an apartment next to the westway...
Eastender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #10
Fragmentor

I like it,m fairly simple, nothing extravegant, I think it would hav egone well, just have to see what the new one looks like...
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #11
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10723

I'm getting a bit bored of Rgers to be honest. All his buildings seem to have that same detailing about them that started with Lloyd's. I'm all for 122 Leadenhall, but this just seems a bit boring to be honest.

For me, this tower represents how far we've come in London - and now I think we can do better.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #12
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 629

I sort of like the flared supports of the base of that tower. Oh well, at least we have something else to look forward too that might actually get built.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #13
delores

Likes (Received): 829

looks as if the AJ has an article on it , unfortunately i do not subscribe...images too!
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #14
CroyDan

Likes (Received): 40

I don't think it is a lazy design, I think it is quite nice. Designers cannot build a Swiss Re everytime as the costs would be higher and also the location has to be considered.
CroyDan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #15
potto

Likes (Received): 12369

Well if they cant afford decent design or a bit of flair then we should give the plot to a developer who can!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #16
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10723

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroyDan
Designers cannot build a Swiss Re everytime.
I never said they should.

I just said Rogers towers are becoming very generic in their styling.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #17
Jonny 5

He has over used the ideas of glass elevators going up the outside of the building far too much.
It was nice the first few times he did it but he has been using those same ideas in buildings for over 20 years now and it's time for him to move on and do something new.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #18
potto

Likes (Received): 12369

well if it works? I suppose the idea is to have more 'liveable' space in the main part of the tower rather than a bulky core.

Oh and while they are at it redesigning the proposal can they please knock down Paddington Green Police Station, put it underground or something!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #19
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

^ Yeah its truely hideous, there are a few mid-rises round there that need pulling down. Any news on the Paddington Green residential tower? I think it was approved a while back and was around 80m-90m.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #20
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny 5
He has over used the ideas of glass elevators going up the outside of the building far too much.
It was nice the first few times he did it but he has been using those same ideas in buildings for over 20 years now and it's time for him to move on and do something new.
I don't think it's overused - I happen to love this feature of his buildings.

Can't wait to see the lifts on 122 Leadenhall which are going to rise up 225m!

Btw, I went to a party at the Lloyds Building in December and was lucky enough to go up one of the lifts there, on the south facade. The views as you're rising above the streets are just... orgasmic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement