833K views 4K replies 225 participants last post by  Rekarte 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

The roman theatre

The old city

:cheers:

See less See more
#3 ·
^:rofl:
anyway, they say it's a nice city but I've got no idea, from pictures it doesn't look interesting.
What I do like is that there's plenty of history in that location, it's been settled for millenia, and you have layers over layers of history, from the Thracians, the greeks, the romans, slavs, turks, etc. Let's hope they capitalize on that, while not forgetting to build modern structures.
The closest I've been to Plovdiv is Stara Zagora :p

#8 ·
the place looks great... I don't know what's your definition of a nice city 3tmk. It's not all about glass, steel and heights.....

my only objections is that pedestrian zone on the pictures.... the buildings on it are very nice, but the pavement is obviosly old and run down + there is no any urban equipement on it... when that gets done...... it'll be perfect...

#19 ·
This was all renovated in 2005. I am a proud Plovdivian myself. Plovdiv is among the most beautiful city in Bulgaria...I also read that it is the greatest beneficiary of EU pre-accession funds. Most famous Bulgarians come from there too!!! Stoichkov being one of them.

#9 ·
The pedestrian street was fully renovated last year(ugh the previous renovation was in 1973 :| ) so hopefully it looks much better now,but I couldn't find updated pics
And adout 3tmk he's Ivorian,you know,and is much more in to the traditional African architecture :lol:

#10 ·
I really love Bulgarian cities that I've seen so far on SSC. They look Balkan, yet attractive. In former Yugoslavia there are many towns and cities that have that Balkan feel as well, but not as nearly nice (with a few exceptions). That's why I always assumed that Bulgarian cities would look the same, but I've been pleasently surprised so far.

#11 ·
In theory, I'm attracted to Le Corbusier's urban planning. The problem is that in reality the place would probably be depressing. Though he's had some very good ideas about kilometer long glassy lowrises, rising on the hills of Algiers. And Algiers has a great setting.
But in all honesty, for me the perfect city is a mix of Paris' Haussmanian Boulevards, NYC's art deco and beaux-arts skyscrapers and Chicago's International style. :drool:

#12 · (Edited)

How could I forget about Maritza river

View of the north bank of Maritza,and the entrance to the Plovdiv fair (on the right )

Classical roman architecture,medieval stone wall and 19th century building in one place :D

#21 ·
I was in Plovdiv for a month last summer. It's picked up a lot....not that it ever was down...It has seen a lot of investment and development recently though...

I personally am not a big fan of the old town. The rowing canal is great though!!! I spent my childhood rowing for one of the rowing clubs there. It was great! Someone has pics of the canal?