PROJECTS: SA Transport - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > South Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1
kota16

Likes (Received): 0

PROJECTS: SA Transport

This thread is for only transportation discussion and projects around Adelaide and South Australia

----------------------
Posted by AtD
---------------------
The steel tram track to the station highlights a product coming out of Wh*****. I expect there will be a knock on effect with both Sydney and Perth eventually doing the same, and maybe other cities. Over the next decade the Bluescope Steel will be flat out producing for many new projects. Its a change for Adelaide to be leader in public transport.

Last edited by crawf; April 9th, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
kota16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
AG

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by kota16
The steel tram track to the station highlights a product coming out of Wh*****. I expect there will be a knock on effect with both Sydney and Perth eventually doing the same, and maybe other cities. Over the next decade the Bluescope Steel will be flat out producing for many new projects. Its a change for Adelaide to be leader in public transport.
Bluescope Steel has most of its production at Port Kembla in Wollongong and other locations in NSW. Bluescope Steel doesn't actually own the steelworks, it is owned by a company called OneSteel.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Rev
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Kota, are you talking about that rail upgrade at outer harbour?
Rev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
kota16

My mistake, yes it is Onesteel at Wh*****, purchased by Smorgon group from BHP a decade or so back. We live in such a changing world, if one is not well informed they are left behind. With petrol prices at $1.40 I note that Mitsubishi have just dropped the price of the 380 car by $5000 to try and create sales.
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
AG

I noticed that the Government is trying to support Mitsubitshi in its cause to increase sales, I've seen quite a few government owned 380s driving around in the past few days.
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #6
kota16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Kota, are you talking about that rail upgrade at outer harbour?
By 2015 the whole of the metro area will have been upgraded .
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #7
Loopy70

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmo
I'd have a hard time convincing people here why they should not build the tram line - such is the nature of the boards. I'm all for progress, but this tram line extension is beyond unnecessary.

For several years now the free Beeline buses have been running between Victoria Square and North Terrace, as well as a variety of other routes. They are flexible, frequent and free, and have been popular with tourists and locals alike. So why would the government look at spending so much money when the existing service is working fine? The Beeline buses have the added advantaged of travelling down any road they like, without requiring rails and overhead power lines. They can operate on more routes, pick up more passengers and cover more attractions.

The cost for the tram extension is $21 million, without factoring in the money that will be spent on delays and problems encountered on the way. That money could be far better spent on schools, hospitals and other areas of transport that needs it more, like the Adelaide to Victor Harbor Road, as opposed to a 1.2km piece of metal.

Furthermore, the extension will cause severe congestion on King William Street and North Terrace. Any car, bus or taxi that goes through the area will be held up by the tram. It would just be quicker and easier to walk, turning the tram into another South Australian white elephant.

The government tells you that the city of Portland, in Oregon, is a similar size to Adelaide and an extension of the tram there brought economic development. However, Portland has a larger population than Adelaide with 2 million people. Their existing tram network is over 80km long and they donít have a bus system as big as the Adelaide Metro. Economic development will not be increased on the already prosperous King William St, and the southern end where the tram has been operating for dozens of years is none the better. I'm all for public transport. However, I donít believe the current proposal is worthy of my support. It is not going to reduce traffic. It is not going to attract more tourists to this city.

the Beeline only runs 'til about 6pm each night. The trams run much later. Say i'm at north tce and want to go to Glenelg. Its 8pm. i got to walk all the way to Vic square. No fun in winter. Even before 6, if i catch the Beeline, i then got to disembark, and wait for the tram.

I've even had tourists in rundle mall ask me; "where is Vic square, where do i get the tram?"

i've you havent got my point yet, i'm disagreeing with your Beeline solution.

im going off on a tangent here, but i also believe people like rail because they no where its going. Buses are scary to those unfamiliar to a city.
Loopy70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #8
mameenoodles
BANNED

whats wrong with a good exercise from Noth Tce to vic sq in winter?
mameenoodles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Mants
transatlanticism

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
No hes not....
couldve fooled me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mameenoodles
whats wrong with a good exercise from Noth Tce to vic sq in winter?
wind, rain, 10 degrees outside?? and lots of weird people
Old April 29th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #10
mameenoodles
BANNED

most people wouldnt be cut out for that weather, but id be more than willing
Old April 29th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #11
splashmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy70
the Beeline only runs 'til about 6pm each night. The trams run much later. Say i'm at north tce and want to go to Glenelg. Its 8pm. i got to walk all the way to Vic square. No fun in winter. Even before 6, if i catch the Beeline, i then got to disembark, and wait for the tram.

I've even had tourists in rundle mall ask me; "where is Vic square, where do i get the tram?"

i've you havent got my point yet, i'm disagreeing with your Beeline solution.

im going off on a tangent here, but i also believe people like rail because they no where its going. Buses are scary to those unfamiliar to a city.
There's no reason they can't have Beeline buses going after 6pm.
splashmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #12
Mants
transatlanticism

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
most people wouldnt be cut out for that weather, but id be more than willing
hence the tram extension to north terrace would benefit 'most people'
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #13
mameenoodles
BANNED

beeline buses dont run after 6pm, because peak hours gone and not a lot of people then need to use buses to get around.
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #14
AG

Quote:
beeline buses dont run after 6pm, because peak hours gone and not a lot of people then need to use buses to get around.
Well then, having the tram operating the service after 6pm will provide some opportunity to encourage more life in the city after 6pm then.
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #15
mameenoodles
BANNED

whats the status on south rd? are they making tunnels or not?
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #16
Rev
BANNED

The tunnels and over-pass' are going ahead. Be patient.

Petrol is tipped to go over $1.45. By the end of the year, it could be hovering around $2 dollars a liter.
If ever there was a time to expand public transport and use some inovation, now is that time.
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #17
AG

I don't think it is just about expanding public transport. I think a whole new system that coordinates new transport projects together and with the development of suburban areas needs to be set in place. In Sydney and Melbourne such plans are in place, though not neccessarily always followed. It sets out to consolidate existing suburban areas and create "activity hubs", particularly those along high capacity transport corridors such as the rail network, better utilising what already exists. If neccessary they can upgrade the network to and around these areas. Take a look at suburbs such as Parramatta, Chatswood, Rockdale, St. Leonards, etc. Some of these centres already have buildings over 100m tall, and Chatswood is about to get several skyscrapers higher than any in Adelaide with it's new Chatswood Station and Interchange.

There are already such areas with potential for redevelopment, though probably not to the extent that Sydney's centres have gone to. Those include Grange, Port Adelaide (further west of the river than current plans), Salisbury, Elizabeth, Woodville, Mitcham, Oaklands, Brighton.

We need to think bigger. Quite a lot bigger. Several tunnels and one tram lines extension isn't going to cut it.
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #18
splashmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
We need to think bigger. Quite a lot bigger. Several tunnels and one tram lines extension isn't going to cut it.
Exactly. I wouldn't mind the tram extension if it was going to North Adelaide or Port Adelaide, but I just see it as a waste if its only 1.2km long. Same goes for most of the other Rann projects.
splashmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #19
Rev
BANNED

The extension along king william to north terrace is just part of the tram expansion. They want to take it to north Adelaide, but people such as Ann cow moran are trying to stop it.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #20
mameenoodles
BANNED

adelaide would have to be one of the few cities where public transport projects can be establish in the innercity without much confusion/re-planning, etc. I dont undertsand why the goverment cant take advatntage of this fact and bring in more PT. The northern suburbs have a lot of 'green corridors' which could make good PT routes whatever system is used.
the southern suburbs do have some, but are very patchy.
all the old rail line routes need to be reestablishd (eg: glenelg, 2nd noarlunga line) and the line that goes through northgate etc.
tram lines should be a major incentive and i think the reliance on buses has to go down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement