SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mill Harbour | Isle of Dogs | 142m, 126m, 113m, 102m | 43, 38, 35, 32 fl | On Hold

356K views 474 replies 116 participants last post by  lezgotolondon 
#1 ·
As mentioned a while back in the London thread during the summer Ballymore,Oracle & Galliard are working up a large 2m Sq ft scheme for the Great Eastern Enterprise site (Audi showroom site). A massing pic I saw in Eg months back looked like the tallest tower being around the taller Pan P mark.

http://icthewharf.icnetwork.co.uk/t...objectid=20310017&siteid=71670-name_page.html

Oracle is also working with Ballymore and Galliard to create a two million square foot mixed use scheme in Millharbour.

The proposed area covers the Great Eastern Enterprise site and the current Docklands Audi showroom.

Consultation is expected to begin in the spring, with an application planned for the end of the year.

Mr Flay said: "It's going to be a mix of retail and office space on the Marsh Wall side, and predominantly residential on the harbourside.

"We've got Foster and Partners designing it, so it will look pretty smart."

Oracle is involved in the delivery of about 7,000 units in the Thames Gateway. Mr Flay said: "The Olympics has acted as a massive catalyst for investment in the Gateway, and there's going to be continued growth until 2012. The rise in demand for property in Canary

Wharf over the last few years has been pretty dramatic. Beforehand, if you were a banker, you almost certainly lived in west London. Now there's a real interest in living here."

See less See more
#5 ·
I know its the not the right thread but cant find the one on the City Pride pub (is there a thread?).

Still its another Foster scheme just down the road from another Foster scheme.Close enough in my book

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2008/04/new-tower-to-call-time-on-the.html#more

New tower to call time on the City Pride pub?
By John Hill on April 24, 2008 9:00 AM |

IT could soon be last orders for the City Pride pub.

The Westferry Road haunt looks set to make way for a flagship tower, with a hotel, apartments and retail space.

Developer Glenkerrin has plans for a large building on the site after snapping up the prime development land for a reported £32million. But it remains tight-lipped on when it hopes to call time on the watering hole.

It has been suggested that Glenkerrin is considering a building rising as high as 55-storeys, with a five-storey hotel and 400 apartments.

The Irish company has already appointed world-renowned architect Foster and Partners to look into options for the site, which is just one of a cluster of proposed high-rise buildings on the western end of the Island.

Foster and Partners is also responsible for prominent buildings such as the Canary Wharf tube station and HSBC’s UK headquarters in Canada Square, which was sold for £1.1bn last April.

A spokesman acting for the developer said: “Foster has been briefed to look at the feasibility of a mixed use scheme that would include a hotel and residential units.
“It’s at an early stage at the moment. It’s looking at what can be delivered on the site. When Foster come up with a scheme that it thinks can work, Glenkerrin will be consulting with the public before the application is submitted.”

The City Pride was originally built in the 1950s to serve the area’s dock workers, but has since become a regular destination for office workers nearby in Canary Wharf.

The site was snapped up early last year by property company Oracle Group, which is working on the Indescon Court mixed-use scheme in Millharbour. But the developer claimed it was “not in any rush” to cut short the pub’s 20-year lease.

Foundation Group, which owns the City Pride pub, refused to comment on how long the pub may have left, claiming any deal with the developer was “confidential”.

If approved, the Foster-designed hotel could face stiff competition from another planned scheme across the road. Estate owners Canary Wharf Group has already submitted plans for a 37-storey, 150-bedroom boutique hotel at Newfoundland through a subsidiary company.

#8 ·
50 Storey towers anyone?

http://www.oraclegroup.com/Portfolio/audi-great-eastern-docklands-marshwall-millharbour/

A joint venture with Ballymore, Galliard Homes and City & Docklands, this prime river site in the heart of the Docklands has been acquired for long-term development. Part of South Quay, the site is just 6 minutes by Docklands Light Railway from Canary Wharf and has excellent potential for a high quality mixed-use development.

A planning application is being prepared for 2million sq ft of; residential, offices, retail and leisure uses over a series of 50 storey buildings.

Oracle are acting on behalf of overseas investors on this project.

#16 ·
These are the sites.

The taller tower appears to sit on the NW corner of the site. The pics arn't particularly clear but I have seen a similar massing model with the tallest tower on the same spot on the site. To get your bearings that is Marsh Wall running West to East in the first pic (although it doesn't look much like Marsh wall- artistic license in the rendering with the greenery & there doesn't seem to the dlr wither ). North is to the left & South to the right.

#19 ·
skyscrapernews has one -
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/maps....66367816012&lng=-0.017681121826171875&zoom=15

this shows all the proposed, approved, under construction, and complete projects in E14. just give it a little while to load, the slower your computer the longer itll take. by the way, the darker the icons the shorter they are. i think they need more to distinguish between them... and then we could do with colour coding them for each status!

#48 ·
That's a fantastic developments map you're putting together there, James, great work! :)

It'd be good if it was a bit easier to distinguish between the building heights though, indeed. Can you change the shape of the icons? That way you could have lots of different colours for height gradations, with a key, and different shapes to represent each building's status. But then I don't know how flexible/customiseable the whole thing is...

#23 ·
Cool! The recent Landmark news about apartments being snapped up, combined with the recent Riverside South news means there's a much better chance of more apartment towers being built, like this, The Pride and Baltimore Wharf!:)

At least I think it does?

I think that site LL posted also has new renders of the Canary Qurter scheme which is U/C.

#24 ·
I can just see the complaints pouring in from the new residents of PP now!...." we didnt spend this sort of money on apartments to get our views blocked by a skyscraper"!

#27 ·
im very tempted to start a sketch up model of canary wharf and its potential future...
ive recently graduated in an architectual course and have nothing else to do due to the shittty recession meaning everyones down sizing their firms.. so i might as well keep myself busy mean while!, also i really want to see the shape of this area and its potential skyline!.

that previous posted link to skyscrapernews.com will help with the listed buildings on the map and proposals etc.. thanks

#32 ·
I find it a bit strange nobody has offered to buy the Fidelity site as plans for that site haven't progressed for years. Every plot around it have seen plans progress with many of the sites U/C. If they combined it with this scheme it would have integrated a massive site and lead to a more coherent development.

#33 ·
Interesting article in propertyweek about the lack of space for offices in CW & the surrounding areas. It also shows how quickly residential space is snapped up even before its built. Very encouraging.

Rod Parker, GVA Grimley’s Docklands partner, has just compiled a list of development sites within 500 yards of Canary Wharf Tube station, with consent for commercial development (see table, right). He points out that until construction of Wood Wharf, the next development phase at Canary Wharf, begins, Canary Wharf is running out of space. The hinterland, however, is ready for development.

He cites the example of the boarded-up development site of London Millharbour, in the shadow of Pan Peninsula. Pembroke, a subsidiary of US fund Fidelity, has consent for offices, but many Docklands agents predict it will be developed as residential, like all the building sites that surround it.

Parker rejects this. ‘Fidelity renewed its planning consent six or seven years ago,’ he says, ‘and the site is going to be for offices. There has been too great an emphasis on residential. The pendulum is going to swing back to offices because of the increased value.’

He points out that Fidelity paid £11.5m for the 2 acre (8 ha) site seven years ago and can therefore keep its power dry. He estimates that an office development on the site could command rents of up to £33/sq ft (£355.21/sq m).

Bob Ashton at Cherryman, also sees the need for new offices on the Isle of Dogs. ‘Last year, there was 150,000 sq ft available in Exchange Tower [Hammerson’s office development between Limeharbour and Millwall Inner Dock], but we let three floors to Barclays bank as part of their expansion in Harbour Exchange.’

Ashton says that rents had been static at £23.50/sq ft (£252.95/sq m) from 2002 to 2003, having risen to £40/sq ft (£430.56/sq m) in 2001. But last year’s lettings showed an increase to £27.50/sq ft (£296/sq m).

If office rents and house prices continue their upward climb, the battle will be on for the future shape of the skyline of the Isle of Dogs.
found an old but still quite interesting article on the fidelity story (for this site directly below the Audi one) you posted by the start of last year. Seems they were already sitting for 7 years on it and are not only quite stubborn on turning it into office space despite the whole area getting more and more residential but also managed to sit so long on it to have missed the chance to offload it while there was still a property boom going on...