SkyscraperCity Forum banner

100 Bishopsgate | City of London | 172m | 40 fl

Tags
london
1M views 3K replies 462 participants last post by  leew1974 
#1 ·
I think a new thread is needed for this one as the news has now been confirmed by the Financial Times:

Great Portland in plan for soaring 40-storey City tower
By Jim Pickard, Property Correspondent
Published: May 25 2006 03:00 | Last updated: May 25 2006 03:00

Great Portland Estates, the London property group, is poised to submit a planning application this summer for a soaring 40-storey tower in the heart of the City.

Subscription required to read the full story. No doubt GPE is serious about this project. It is a top property developer like Land Sec. and British Land.

Herebelow the story posted by Willjfox04 earlier this year:

The skyscraper, designed by architects Allies and Morrison, would join a cluster of proposed towers in a small area of the Square Mile. Allies & Morrison are reported to be planning a 43-storey skyscraper on a site neighbouring Foster's SwissRe tower. If confirmed, this would be the 30th proposal over 500ft for London. Architect Allies and Morrison is planning a £200m development including a tower that could go next to Foster and Partners' Swiss Re building in the City of London. The architect has worked with consultant Gardiner & Theobald to draw up plans for a 43-storey tower on a site that includes 61 St Mary Axe. Foster's 41-storey tower is located at 30 St Mary Axe. The developer, Great Portland Estates, has combined a number of its land holdings in the City to produce a two-acre site on which it aims to create an office and retail development. As well as 61 St Mary Axe, Great Portland also has holdings on nearby sites at Bishopsgate and Camomile Street.

See less See more
#577 ·
Says it all....

#4 ·
Brilliant news. If it is the size of St Helens I'll be happy but i'd wonder how'd they fit 40 storeys in that size!

Brilliant, it should fill the gaps when the cluster is viewed from certain angles.
Anyone do a little approximation where and how tall it could stand from the render of WJFox's waterloo bridge render?

In all honesty, I wouldn't want this tower to be over 180m, and really not too wacky. I would love a Canary Wharf-esque tower at this site to componsate for 20 Fenchurch St and take the attention of 122 and Bishopsgate, although they are great designs.

If I am not mistaken, this will sit along side DIFA's Bishopsgate will it not?

#6 ·
From what I remember someone said this was a trademark Alliesand Morrison design - boxy with what looked like some kind of slant attached. A nice addition, but I just have this feeling being located so close to Tower 42, Swiss Re and the Heron Tower plus being more or less the same height is going to make this end of the City cluster somewhat undefined and less dynamic. If anything this should be raised to 52 storeys to give a better step up to Bishopsgate in the view from Waterloo Bridge.

But who knows, could have a nice spire or something.

#10 ·
eXSBass said:
Brilliant news. If it is the size of St Helens I'll be happy but i'd wonder how'd they fit 40 storeys in that size!

Brilliant, it should fill the gaps when the cluster is viewed from certain angles.
Anyone do a little approximation where and how tall it could stand from the render of WJFox's waterloo bridge render?

In all honesty, I wouldn't want this tower to be over 180m, and really not too wacky. I would love a Canary Wharf-esque tower at this site to componsate for 20 Fenchurch St and take the attention of 122 and Bishopsgate, although they are great designs.

If I am not mistaken, this will sit along side DIFA's Bishopsgate will it not?
It will stand directly behind Tower 42 in this view -

#792 ·
LOL looking at that image from 2006....all those towers have been/ will be seeing fruition except one. Minervas golden goose promised a golden egg and produced a blue turd.

#11 ·
You're absolutely right London Lad about the usefulnrdd of the new thread - to be honest I've not found back the old thread except the post from Will.

The tower is being developed by Great Portland Estates. Allies Morisson was appointed as the architect by GPE. In addition, the tower will face Heron and not 30 Ste Mary Axe.

Probably because of these reasons I did not identify the "43 storey Allies & Morrison tower neighbour for swiss re" as the "40 storey GPE tower neighbour to Heron".

That's the drawback of having much activity in London. We are getting lost.

However, you are not right about the lease term/construction date. Although it runs until 2011, it does not mean that construction could not start much earlier. GPE could buy back the remaining years of the lease term as British Land did with Calyon at 122 Leadenhall (btw, BL confirmed site possession of Leadenhall Building as of 1 January 2007). It all depends on the state of the tenant market in the coming years.

#23 ·
huzzah, it'll be about 20 metres away from Heron. Bishopsgate is about to turn into a canyon. Goth's image seems to show it about 200m, its top is just below Heron's rooftop. Interesting. Run of good news in the past few weeks. We should expect a few renders if the planning app is due for the summer then. Phew.