Minories London | Aldgate | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
london lad

Likes (Received): 3486

Minories London | Aldgate | U/C

One week after L&G released there futurisitc scheme art Wallbrook & Beetham reveal a similar scheme in Aldgate

From property week

Beetham has unveiled plans for Trinity, a £700m office complex glazed like a ‘cluster of crystals' on the site of Aldgate bus station.

By Claer Barrett

The Beetham Organization is to submit a planning application this week for Trinity, a 1m sq ft (92,920 sq m) office campus in Aldgate on the eastern fringe of the City of London.

The Foreign Office Architects-designed scheme, exclusively revealed to Property Week, envisages three multi-faceted office buildings with walls that glint like gemstones. Its estimated completion value is £700m.

The tallest of the buildings, at 22 storeys, will have a restaurant, cafe and public viewing gallery on the top floor that overlooks the City.

It will also contain a new entrance to Aldgate Underground station. A glazed public plaza will strike through the centre of the campus, the Circle Line running directly beneath.

The scheme will also involve the comprehensive redevelopment of Aldgate bus station and a new bus terminus will be constructed to the south of the site. Beetham's proposals also include 35,000 sq ft (3,251 sq m) of retail space spread across the three buildings.

‘The architect's brief was to create an office campus, a modern Cutlers Gardens,' says Stephen Beetham, managing director of the Liverpool-based developer. ‘Foreign Office designed the buildings inside out. Despite their angular appearance, they have very regular, rectangular floorplates and central service cores. We felt we could do something special in the sky, and importantly that's a public space.'

Beetham acquired most of the 3.2 acre (1.3 ha) site from Hammerson and Catalyst Capital for £30m in 2004. Currently occupied by two 1970s office buildings - Bain Dawes House and Latham House - the developer will gain vacant possession in March 2007, when demolition is scheduled to begin.

Beetham's adviser, BH2, has added 10 further acquisitions to the site in the last nine months, approaching £13m in value, and has spent more than a year negotiating with Transport for London. The assembled block fronts Aldgate High Street to the north, and is bordered by Minories to the west and Mansell Street to the east. DP9 is advising on planning.

Each of the three office buildings averages 350,000 sq ft (32,515 sq m). Floorplates range from 15,000 sq ft to 35,000 sq ft (1,393 sq m to 3,251 sq m), and Beetham intends to speculatively develop the first 12-storey block. He says the scheme will be financed by a combination of equity and debt.

Insurance policy

‘The location, quality of architecture and range of floorplates mean Trinity will appeal to the insurance sector and related occupiers, and a host of other occupiers,' says Tony Gibbon, partner in BH2, which will also act as the letting agent for the scheme.

‘It is deliberately designed to work as a multi-let estate, although it is also conceivable that the whole of one building could be a headquarters. We are not seeking prelets.'

Alejandro Zaera-Polo, director of Foreign Office Architects, describes his design as a ‘cluster of crystals'.

‘We wanted the complex to work as part of the gothic fabric of the City of London, where you see arcades and public spaces,' he says. ‘This is not to be another high-rise statement. The crystalline aesthetics create the possibility of playing games with reflection and transparency across surfaces, which are not vertical - the default condition in the City.

‘Tilt the surfaces towards the ground and they become more transparent; tilt them towards the sky and they become more opaque as they reflect more light. This creates a kaleidoscopic world where different activities around the buildings and inside the buildings will be brought together as impressions of the City.'

Trinity will have an EC3 postcode by a whisker, although the other side of Mansell Street is in the E1 postal district of Tower Hamlets.

Walking around Aldgate today, it is the place where the City limits merge into the East End. The local pubs, cash-and-carry shops, Bengali restaurants and street markets for which the area is well known nestle alongside a growing array of planned developments.

Directly opposite Trinity is the site of the proposed 50-storey Minerva Tower, although rumours abound of a site sale or potentially smaller development. Omega Land proposes a 300,000 sq ft (27,870 sq m) Wilkinson Eyre-designed scheme at Aldgate Union; Helical Bar plans a 20-storey tower on the site of International House; and Inonder submitted a planning application in March for a 25-storey residential tower.

‘It is nonsense to say that Trinity is off pitch, argues Gibbon. ‘The City is about space over place and, within reason, occupiers want quality space ahead of location. That's why Cutlers Gardens and Broadgate were so successful. Trinity is close to Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street and will straddle a major public transport interchange.'

The historic site cost means projected rents at Trinity will be £45/sq ft (£484.38/sq m), which Beetham believes will significantly undercut not just prime City rents but those of competing Aldgate buildings.

‘Everyone's looking for prelets but we will be starting on site as soon as we can, which shows our intent,' he says. ‘Our objective is to build and hold for the long term.'

‘This is a very complicated site,' says Peter Rees, City planning officer for Beetham's application. ‘Any scheme that involves relocating a bus station, a new means of access to an Underground station, and has to take into account the backdrop of listed buildings in the City of London requires great ingenuity. And I have to say I'm enjoying working with such ingenious folk.'

[IMG]http://i5.************/16094sg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/16094yh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.************/16096ck.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/16096ih.jpg[/IMG]
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1539

Reminds me a lot of criterion place. Good stuff indeed.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #3
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10069

Reminds me of something by Rem Koolhaas.

Needs less glass.

Actually it's pretty overbearing but I can't decide if I like it or not, seeing as I gave the Nouvel and Foster proposal my backing.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 372

taller than I excpected, actually! I think I like it. How tall would you say the tallest building is? 100m maybe?

Last edited by newcastle kid; June 28th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 158

Looks better than what is currently there!
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #6
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
Looks better than what is currently there!
That being a bus station and two 1970s blocks. A surburban semi from Chafford Hundred would look better than what is currently there, but I wouldn't support that.
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #7
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13325

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
projected rents at Trinity will be £45/sq ft (£484.38/sq m), which Beetham believes will significantly undercut not just prime City rents but those of competing Aldgate buildings.
This effectively kills off any chance of Minerva going ahead.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #8
CroyDan

Likes (Received): 40

It looks good too. Maybe to much glass but then it is better than all the 60's - 70's concrete rubbish around London so can't complain too much.

The City is moving in the right direction with the small mid rises being built.
CroyDan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #9
potto

Likes (Received): 11717

yeah sort of, as in no more boring flat roof line, but they do look massive compared to other buildings around them! Not exactly crystals but more like girt boulders!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #10
DarJoLe

As much as I love Foreign Office Architects I don't think this is really showing off their style to the maximum.
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Remusable

Likes (Received): 3

Awful! I hate this new fad of trapezoid shaped buildings with slanted roofs and irregular walls. It throws everything else out of line. Build straight up, not diagonally.

Puke
Remusable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #12
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1751

Its a nice scheme, but I'd rather have Minerva.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #13
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 5

I think it looks really ugly, sorry.
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #14
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 22

Those who know the area will realise how much is going to come down in order to get this dev. going ahead., nice transitional height but the whole thing's a fat ******.That's a massive plan, i'm afraid it will just bulk up the already cluttered tangle of roads and groundscrapers already in place.
Not sure what this will bring in terms of street level city life enhancement.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #15
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

It is a pity how all these architects run out of inspiration, particularly when the developers get involved. FOA used to be great, just browsing on their internet site (http://www.f-o-a.net/flash/index.html) and looking at their WTC 1 proposal - that should be built in London!
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #16
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe
That being a bus station and two 1970s blocks. A surburban semi from Chafford Hundred would look better than what is currently there, but I wouldn't support that.
I didn't say it was a great design, but the whole area around there and Aldgate Union is a dump. This will improve the area. Ok the first render makes it stick out like a sore thumb compared to the surroundings but the last three really looking promising.

my only concern is that it looks like it will block the view of the Willis Limestreet buildings from my office
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #17
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 347

I do not like it at all and would much rather have Minerva than this piece of glass shit?

Sometimes the best thing to do is to take a step back. Look at Sir Charles Barry. Designed The Houses of Parliament for Gothic Revival. And look at it. It's a stunner, well renown all over the world.
Why can't today's acrhitects take a leaf out of his book? I mean, there is too much glass! What ever happened to the stone clad buildings of the old age that gave a grand appearance?

It's got brilliant geometry i'll give it that. But way too much glass and over the top. It cries out for attention too much and does not blend in with it's surroundings. You see, this is more important for a ground scraper because you won't be looking up half of the time! It'll be in your face!
With Minerva, it's slender and tall which means it takes little pavement space.

It's alright. But dissapointed if it goes ahead.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #18
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass
Why can't today's acrhitects take a leaf out of his book?
Because we don't live in the past. And developers demand grand landmark schemes with as much natural light as possible, with something that doesn't need much maintenance and can easily be redeveloped when the need comes.

And a grand detailed faux gothic stone chintzy buiding just ain't want they want.
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #19
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Awful.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #20
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe
And a grand detailed faux gothic stone chintzy buiding just ain't want they want.
Too true but a real shame.

Hmmm I must say Im a bit dissapointed, I remember reading a while back that this wasn't going to be glass clad, so WTF? Too much glass and too much bulk, not really a fan.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aldgate, city, city of london, estate, london, minories

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: