Tate Modern Herzog & de Meuron Extension | Bankside | 76m | 11 fl - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10809

Tate Modern Herzog & de Meuron Extension | Bankside | 76m | 11 fl

A New Museum for the 21st Century

A computer generated image of the new building, from the south © Hayes Davison

The new development of Tate Modern will create the world's first museum designed to show the full breadth of contemporary art in the 21st century.

The new project will:

Create the world's leading centre for contemporary art, which will be of benefit to both artists and our public and help Tate to develop one of the finest collections of contemporary art in the world.

Create a new landmark building for London, which will help it to maintain its position as the leading cultural and creative capital of the world.

Act as a catalyst for the further regeneration of Southwark. The new building will facilitate the greater integration of Tate with its local community and urban landscape, bringing maximum benefit to the local area.

Place education, life-long learning and the development of creative skills at the heart of what we do, enabling Tate to reach out to different audiences.

Contribute substantial economic benefits to London as a whole and to Southwark in particular.

A spectacular new building by Herzog & de Meuron will be developed adjoining the south side of Tate Modern, which will increase its overall size by 60%, creating 23,400m of new space.

This will provide:

New kinds of galleries to house works from Tate's growing collection.

Spaces to show new areas of contemporary visual culture.

New galleries for major exhibitions.

A new performance venue.

A sequence of superb new education spaces unmatched anywhere in the world.

Spaces designed specifically by young people for young people.

Areas specially designed for families.

Additional facilities for Tate Members.

More restaurants and cafés.

Two new public squares for London on the south and west of the building.
The project will also include a number of improvements to the existing Tate Modern building.

The new building will also play a key role in the development of London's new cultural quarter on the South Bank, which comprises over 20 cultural organisations between the London Eye and the Design Museum.

Published 27 July 2006 at 11:53
Rogers towers reveal future development of Bankside – images

Richard Rogers Partnership (RRP) has submitted plans for a new tower development next to the Tate Modern in London – finally killing off the controversial Philip Gumuchdjian tower.

The five residential buildings will sit to the south-west of Herzog & de Meuron’s astonishing new Tate extension which was unveiled by the world-famous gallery earlier this week (ajplus 25.07.06).

RRP’s Holland Street proposals have been warmly welcomed by local residents who had waged a high-profile war – supported by Tate supremo Nick Serota – to block the original Gumuchdjian tower scheme.

The 20-storey building became the centre of a fierce legal battle and the project only won approval following a decision by the House of Lords.

After securing the go-ahead, landowner Meyer Bergman then decided to drop Gumuchdjian and replace his scheme with a design by Hamilton Associates (see below).

However Clan Real Estate and Grosvenor, a new joint venture acting under the name GC Bankside, has now snapped up the proposed tower site in Hopton Street.

According to the developer – which also owns the neighbouring Holland Street plot – work on the Meyer Bergman proposals has now been suspended pending a decision on RRP’s 28,000m2 scheme.

If Southwark Council gives the development the thumbs-up, the Hopton Street site will be flattened and turned into a new public square while the five RRP apartment buildings, ranging in height from five to 24 storeys, will be built next door.

David Lough, chairman of Bankside Residents for Appropriate Development, said: ‘Having campaigned vigorously against the Hopton Street Tower, we welcome the proposed scheme.

‘The creation of an increase in open space is a major victory for local residents in Bankside.’

RRP project architect Graham Stirk added: ‘As the original masterplanners of Bankside, we are particularly pleased to be involved in creating this high-quality residential scheme. Our masterplan recommended the joining together of individual sites and this scheme is a good example of how this can be done successfully.’

Last edited by DarJoLe; July 27th, 2006 at 04:12 PM.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #2
DarJoLe

I think it looks great. A work of art in itself. I'm not bothered about the symmetry of Tate Modern lost, afterall Bankside123 has pretty much ruined that. What this does do, however, is create a better relationship between the Tate Modern and the Bankside123 project, and creates a great central landmark for the Richard Rogers's towers which are spitting distance from it.

I also think the green glass will have a good relationship with Beetham, even though I'm still against that being built.
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Medo

Likes (Received): 546

nice design, looks like a bunch of portacabins stacked on top of each other
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Dan1987

Likes (Received): 1

Looks like a game of Jenga with glass blocks
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 403

edit: wrong thread

Very nice by the way
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #6
london lad

Likes (Received): 3770

Another article about the extension- Seems the 20th C are moaning a bit, but as Darjole already mentioned the view of the Tate fro teh north has been compromised by the overbearing Bankside1. Anyway at least this will hide bankside1.

I like it- It will really open up the area to the South of the tate which is a bit of a wasted opportunity at present- The article also says rogers resi scheme nearby will be revealed this week as well- Hopefully these news schemes will transform the southern area of the tate. They should IMO pedestrianise the road between the bankside123 development, rogers development & the tate & have a huge public square .

the glass cubes should look really good at night. Let hope they can get the funding in place & have this finished by 2012.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Art world braced for Tate-extra

Ambitious plan for 100ft extension to London gallery attracts both praise - and a brickbat

Rob Sharp, arts and media correspondent
Sunday July 23, 2006
The Observer

Adventurous plans to build a new huge extension - described as a cut-glass ziggurat - at the Tate Modern gallery in London will be unveiled this week to warm applause from large parts of the architectural world and some criticism from design experts.
The Twentieth Century Society, which was consulted on the plans, said the stepped pyramid extension - to be shown for the first time on Tuesday - detracts from the architectural importance of the existing gallery and warns that it has 'serious issues' with the plan. However, Tate director Nicholas Serota has defended the extension, which he says will be 'leading-edge architecture' and a first for the capital.

The extension will reach a height of 100 feet, more than 30 feet above the main part of the Tate Modern building - which was designed between 1947 and 1960 - and will add significantly to the gallery space provided on the South Bank site.

The society claims it is this height which will cause conflict with views of the Tate from across the river. Its director, Catherine Croft, said the organisation had asked for more information relating to potential views of the scheme from the north side of the Thames, particularly its relationship to the 'striking horizontal form' of the existing gallery. She added that the source of the dispute was over whether a number of other new developments around it would lessen the extension's impact on key views. She said: 'Our principal interest is from across the other side of the river. They're going to give us more information relating to what the context of the building will be in five to 10 years from now.'

The new Tate extension is the latest design by the world renowned architects Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron, who designed the Olympic Stadium in Beijing, and spearheaded the successful internal conversion of Scott's building, originally a power station, in 2000.

Other new developments around the Tate include four buildings by the architect Richard Rogers, which are also set to be unveiled this week.

Croft told how her group initially campaigned for the Tate building to be listed because she felt it was of historical interest. English Heritage's London advisory committee will consider the extension this week. Its senior historic buildings and areas adviser Nick Collins said: 'It's a question of what's going to work. Does it have to be fantastically unique or different or has it got to be subservient and small? That's the way the debate will be waged.'

A Tate spokesperson said: 'The majority of consultation responses to the scheme have been extremely positive, including those by English Heritage, CABE [the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment] and others. The Tate project team had a very helpful and productive meeting with the Twentieth Century Society this week and is keen to work closely with them to overcome any concerns that they might have.'
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #7
DarJoLe

Well Bankside 2 & 3 have destroyed the symmetry of the eastern side of Tate Modern, and the Rogers towers will just erode this further on the western side, so I think the Twentieth Century Society's concerns are about three years too late.
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #8
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 5

I see what is meant about the Portacabins!

Looks interesting to say the least...undecided about whether I like it yet.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #9
london lad

Likes (Received): 3770

Whats the building with the slanted roof in between the chimmney & extension- Is this the WE tower??

[IMG]http://i7.************/20z8t4m.jpg[/IMG]
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #10
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
Whats the building with the slanted roof in between the chimmney & extension- Is this the WE tower??

[IMG]http://i7.************/20z8t4m.jpg[/IMG]
I think it's the Hopton Street tower, which I believe is no longer being built. So much for Serota's insistence the tower was too tall for the area.
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #11
Varenukha
London, UK

Likes (Received): 1

This is a briliant addition to a world-class art space. I don't buy this notion, however, that it doesn't matter whether it compromises the view of the main Tate building or not simply because its new neighbours do so already. With such building density, London rarely has the luxury of uninterrupted sight lines, so less-than-attractive neighbouts will always be an issue. However, given the choice, IMO the positioning could have been better, both to show off the design (by the river someplace?) AND to reduce the cluttering around the existing Tate building, but I'd like to see more and better renderings to decide whether this pairing could really work. I only hope that the investment on buildings translates into investment in the artwork - Tate's biggest issue is the lack of a world-class collection.
Varenukha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #12
BenL

Likes (Received): 4

The Tate Modern is one of my favourite London buildings and I am, like JDRS slightly unsure whether I like it or not. Of course it's great that a modern art gallery has very modern architecture and I generally like a contrast between old and new but part of me does wish it was not so tall. Bankside123 is crap but not hugely noticeable. I do wonder if it would have been better wider and less tall. But I'll wait and see before I make any final conclusions on this project...
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #13
DarJoLe

Published 25 July 2006 at 11:56
Tate reveals H and dM’s extraordinary Tate Modern extension

The Tate Modern has this morning revealed these extraordinary images of Herzog and De Meuron’s new extension to its famous Bankside building.

The new space – which its backers describe as ‘iconic’ – is supposed to symbolise the success of ‘creative Britain’.

The building will be located to the south side of the gallery on a site close to a number of plots that have previously caused much local controversy.

The project has however won the backing of Ken Livingstone, who announced that he would pump £7 million into it through the London Development Agency.

The development will create approximately 23,000m2 of new space, with the overall size increasing by 60 per cent.

One of the main ambitions of the scheme – which apparently ‘completes’ the entire Tate Modern project – is to open a south entrance, a move that will connect the gallery with its southern neighbours.

This will also allow for a new ‘north-south street’ running through the building, which will be open for at least 12 hours a day.

The new building will not just be made up of gallery space; it will also include education and performance facilities.

The Tate, and its director Nick Serota, hope to win planning in the first half of next year and fast-track the construction so it is ready in time for the 2012 Olympics.

Old July 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #14
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 79453

Whoa!

I guess its better for the Tate Modern, as a top modern art gallery, to build a memorable, iconic extension than a blander, toned-down one.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #15
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

WOW!! stunning! I really love the idea of not sticking to the symmetry!
Really interesting a piece of modern architecture on its own!
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 27

Fantastic, but you just know it ain't gonna happen.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #17
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabman
Fantastic, but you just know it ain't gonna happen.
I think Ken giving a substantial chunk from the LDA will mean it will happen. I'd love for it to be before 2012, but I'm not so sure it will be.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #18
potto

Likes (Received): 12382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varenukha
... I only hope that the investment on buildings translates into investment in the artwork - Tate's biggest issue is the lack of a world-class collection.
You what?!?!!! It may not be the 'best' but it is certainly World Class there arent that many places around the world with such important pieces of 20th century art right up to the present day
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #19
DarJoLe

I think MOMA has the slight edge in terms of collection over Tate, as there is a distinct chunk of the early twentieth century works missing. The problem is something like 70% of Tate's collection is in storage at any one time. Hopefully this extension will allow more of it to be shown.

What Tate Modern makes up for though over everyone else is the sheer wow factor of the gallery itself, nowhere else in the world has a Turbine Hall, for example. Possibly the Baltic, but that's hardly a comparison.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #20
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1233

that building so ugly it's first name is "damn"...
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london