Completed: Grand Hyatt Doha - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Qatar > Completed Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #1
Massilia
Qatar forums

Likes (Received): 5

Completed: Grand Hyatt Doha

Does anyone have some info on the Grand Hyatt Doha?

According to the official Hyatt website, Grand Hyatt Doha is supposed to open in January 2008, and is labeled as a city/resort.

Now this news has been online for a couple of days:
Quote:
Grand Hyatt goes IP in Qatar

Grand Hyatt Resorts in Qatar is to adopt a new IP-based communications system, supporting up to 1,500 users by 2008.

The system, which will be composed of Mitel and Foundry network products, will give IP communications capabilities to Hyatt’s 56 villa residences by December 2006, in time for the Asian Games being held in Qatar.

“I am delighted that the Grand Hyatt Resorts has selected Mitel’s IP solutions. This is another addition to our hospitality services customer base, following our recent deployment at the five-star Al Murooj Rotana located in Dubai,” said Hisham Amili, Mitel’s general manager for the GCC.

The Hyatt development will use a Mitel 3300 IP communications platform, running across FastIron SuperX and FastIron Edge Switch Power over Ethernet systems from Foundry.

”The collaboration between Foundry and Mitel provide customers best-of-breed IP telephony and networking solutions that are secure and interoperable, without locking them into expensive proprietary systems,” said Val Oliva, director of product management for Foundry Networks.

“The Grand Hyatt Resorts is a bellwether in their industry, leveraging the benefits of a standards-based, high-performance converged infrastructure to increase their business efficiencies and to reduce ongoing networking costs. We are pleased to be partnering with Mitel to deliver this advanced networking solution.”

National telecoms provider Qtel has subcontracted the implementation to Seiat Systems.

“We would like to commend our channel partner, Seiat Systems, for providing us with the regional expertise,” added Amili.

“Together we present compelling IP communications solutions to progressive enterprises wanting to take advantage of the cost-effective, scalable and highly flexible platforms that Mitel’s IP solutions offer.”

”The Grand Hyatt Resorts is a milestone for Seiat and together with Mitel, we are focused on delivering customer driven communication solutions,” said Rajeev G Krishnan, general manager at Seiat Systems.
...in time for the Asian Games? A resort?

There's something I don't understand...maybe the resort being built next to the Ritz? Dun understand much.. your guesses are welcome...
Massilia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 268

Hi Bert, actually, I assume the resort is the villa complex adjacent to the Ritz Carlton currently being built. The project, there, is composed of villas and a hotel (which is yet to be built). That is the only logical choice I could think of.
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Massilia
Qatar forums

Actually this is definitely it... I could do some more research online and found a couple of renders:

The hotel:
[img]http://i8.************/25zqikx.jpg[/img]

The hotel plus the villas:
[img]http://i5.************/25zqli8.jpg[/img]

The ballroom:
[img]http://i5.************/25zqlvq.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Massilia
Qatar forums

Hill International Selected as Project Manager for the Grand Hyatt Hotel and Villas in Doha

Doha, Qatar -- Hill International, the worldwide construction consulting firm, has announced that it has received a contract from the Touristic Investment Company to provide project and construction management services during the design and construction of the new Grand Hyatt Hotel and Villas in Doha, Qatar. The 28-month contract has an estimated value to Hill of approximately QR8.2 million ($2.3 million).

The project, which includes a total of 93,000 square meters of built-out space, consists of a new 250-room, five-star Grand Hyatt Hotel complex, together with a separate health and fitness center, 56 residential villas, and parking facilities.

"The construction of this major hotel complex is an important step towards making Doha a recognized business and tourism destination," said Raouf S. Ghali, President of Hill's International Project Management Group. "We are honored to have been selected to participate in this prestigious project," Ghali added.

Hill International, with over 800 employees in 22 offices worldwide, provides program management, project management, construction management and construction claims services. Engineering News-Record magazine recently ranked Hill as the 18th largest construction management firm in the United States. For more information on Hill, please visit our website at www.hillintl.com
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Massilia
Qatar forums

This is a room designed by an artist from GHD:

I really like it!
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Halawala
Fairouzy

Wow, I spent hours searching the net and found nothing. Thanks Massila for these. I think the Grand Hyatt have the best rooms of all the hotels, but i generally prefer the Marriott Brand since I have their card. The hotel looks a lot like the Grand Hyatt Muscat.
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #7
salman515
Smile :)

Likes (Received): 302

wow impresive! all theis villas to be manged by hotel, i wonder how much is it gonna cost per night
salman515 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #8
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman515
wow impresive! all theis villas to be manged by hotel, i wonder how much is it gonna cost per night
I assume maybe a 1000$ a night, since the villas are very spacious.
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Halawala
Fairouzy

Just found this article:

MITEL AND FOUNDRY NETWORKS TAKES UP RESIDENCE AT THE GRAND HYATT RESORTS IN QATAR

DOHA, Qatar – (August 21, 2006) – Mitel®, the trusted provider of IP communications solutions, today announced that the Grand Hyatt Resorts in Qatar has selected a Mitel IP solution that will operate over a Foundry Networks®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FDRY), a performance and total solutions leader for end-to-end switching and routing, data-infrastructure, presenting the best-of-breed in unified communications.

Qtel, Qatar’s incumbent Push-To-Talk (PTT) and prime provider of Private Automated Branch Exchange (PABX) solutions in Qatar, sub-contracted the project to Seiat Systems, a Mitel Gold Solution Provider, to deploy a Mitel 3300 IP Communications Platform (ICP). Seiat will also be providing the Foundry Networks data-infrastructure based on Foundry’s FastIron® SuperX™ and FastIron Edge Switch Power over Ethernet (PoE) family.

The Grand Hyatt’s 56 luxurious villa residences are scheduled to be IP-ready this December, coinciding with the commencement of the 15th Asian Games to be held in Doha with participants from more than 40 Asian countries across the Middle East and Asia.

Upon completion of the entire Grand Hyatt Resorts complex, expected in 2008, the all IP solution will support more than 1,500 end-users with further expansion possibilities of up to 2,000 users in the complex.

“I am delighted that the Grand Hyatt Resorts has selected Mitel’s IP solutions.The Grand Hyatt Resorts in Qatar follows on our recent successes in the region, such as with Etisalat (UAE) and Jeddah Islamic Port (Saudi Arabia). This is another addition to our hospitality services customer base, following our recent deployment at the five-star Al Murooj Rotana located in Dubai. We would also like to commend our channel partner, Seiat Systems, for providing us with the regional expertise. Together we present compelling IP communications solutions to progressive enterprises wanting to take advantage of the cost-effective, scalable and highly flexible solutions that Mitel’s IP solutions offer,” said Hisham Amili, Mitel GM, GCC.

”The Grand Hyatt Resorts is a milestone for Seiat and together with Mitel, we are focused on delivering customer driven communication solutions,” said Rajeev G. Krishnan, Seiat Systems GM.

”The collaboration between Foundry and Mitel provide customers best-of-breed IP telephony and networking solutions that are secure and interoperable, without locking them into expensive proprietary systems,” said Val Oliva, director of product management for Foundry Networks. “The Grand Hyatt Resorts is a bellwether in their industry, leveraging the benefits of a standards-based, high-performance converged infrastructure to increase their business efficiencies and to reduce ongoing networking costs. We are pleased to be partnering with Mitel to deliver this advanced networking solution.”

The FastIron SuperX Layer 2/3 compact modular switch reinforces Foundry’s leadership in the growing PoE, Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) and 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) markets. The FastIron SuperX delivers a new level of networking flexibility providing a complete networking solution from edge to core with wire-speed performance for high-density PoE, GbE and 10GbE system configurations and support for scalable layer 2/3 services, including Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) and Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4) routing and IP multicast. With the capability to scale to one million BGP routes in software and 256,000 routes in hardware, the FastIron SuperX offers tremendous scalability in a small and flexible form factor, addressing the needs of a wide range of customers, including service providers. Its advanced quality of service design and standards-based support for POE make the FastIron SuperX an ideal convergence platform for the wiring closet providing a powerful layer 2/3 solution for integrating voice data and video onto a common IP network.
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #10
Massilia
Qatar forums

Finding info about it is not easy...

What i especially like is the architecture of the hotel, Gulf ancient style, in opposition to its location, right beside the ultra-modern Lagoon Plaza! The feeling and the contrast must be weird, so close to the zig-zag towers!
And such a prime location, at the entrance of the Pearl!

[img]http://i7.************/260bwxx.jpg[/img]
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #11
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

Likes (Received): 0

I have to say, I really don't like the design. I think such an 'old look' shouldn't be placed in the West Bay where all the modern buildings are.

BTW Halawala, really like your new sig. Very well... organized

SSC Thread
My Blog
omarmakki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #12
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

After seeing Massilia's 'map'. I remembered one of the photos I took and posted before...

I guess those white villas are 'the ones'...

SSC Thread
My Blog
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #13
Halawala
Fairouzy

Thanks Omar As for the villas I wish they were more creative and actually built the main hotel parallel to the construction of these villas.
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #14
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

True. They looked very uncreative that we didn't even notice them when I posted this pic.
Even when I was right next to it going to the Pearl, I didn't even notice it! lol!

BTW, you won't believe how close it is the Pearl. Really close!

SSC Thread
My Blog
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmakki
True. They looked very uncreative that we didn't even notice them when I posted this pic.
Even when I was right next to it going to the Pearl, I didn't even notice it! lol!

BTW, you won't believe how close it is the Pearl. Really close!
I heard that there was a desicion by the Amir to demolish the row of houses which are right next to the main road leading to the Pearl since they will kind of shun the spotlight away from the Pearl. Did anyone hear this before?
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #16
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

Never heard of that. But I think a better decision is to make like a big wall not just demolish them!
However, this decision shows how important the Pearl is to Qatar. I mean, the decision was taken by the country's ruler for God's sake!

SSC Thread
My Blog
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #17
salman515
Smile :)

Likes (Received): 302

ya i heard something like that while back, didnt read the hole article
salman515 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 07:20 PM   #18
Massilia
Qatar forums

Found this nice aerial shot of the Ritz-Carlton on flickr:

[img]http://i2.************/263itk6.jpg[/img]
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:36 PM   #19
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Likes (Received): 1

wow Massilia it looks great!!
Old August 31st, 2006, 11:53 PM   #20
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

Yup. Looks great.
But where's The Pearl? Or was this picture taken before the land reclamation?

SSC Thread
My Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement