Skopje Photo Album - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Phototeka

Phototeka Urban photo's of skyscrapers, skylines, architecture and cityscapes

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:13 AM   #1
Realek

Likes (Received): 26

Skopje Photo Album

I'm starting this thread to celebrate the return of SSC

These are just some ordinary pics of the bus station

Arrivals:

Departures:

I dont know why, but security is really tight for a bus station.

Something is wrong here...

Some night pics. One of the entrances...

Last edited by Realek; April 19th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
Realek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Similos

Likes (Received): 3

This transport company from Serbia builds its own buses

Great photos, especially the first!
Similos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:06 AM   #3
Realek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Similos
This transport company from Serbia builds its own buses
What do you mean exactly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM   #4
Similos

Likes (Received): 3

Exactly what I said. Instead of ordering buses from more established domestic companies like FAP-Priboj, NEOBUS-Novi Sad or IKARBUS-Zemun, they build their own...they are called "NIBUS"

Similos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #5
lakerdar123

Likes (Received): 1

nice pics althouth i'm not a fan of the bus station. something needs to be done about it.
lakerdar123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Realek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerdar123
nice pics althouth i'm not a fan of the bus station. something needs to be done about it.
What is exactly that you don't like and what is it that you would do to it if you were the mayor of Skopje?
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM   #7
lakerdar123

it doenst look big enough or modern enough. needs revitilization and also gives the impression it's under a highway ramp. kind of gloomy enviornment. needs to birghten up with being either more on the outside or in a modern building, but one important thing is greenery. too much grey.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #8
dewrob

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
it doenst look big enough or modern enough. needs revitilization and also gives the impression it's under a highway ramp. kind of gloomy enviornment. needs to birghten up with being either more on the outside or in a modern building, but one important thing is greenery. too much grey.
the only thing I agree about is the size, but I guess that too is in accordance to the demands for bus transportation in the country.

I find the setting and environment to be ultra urban. It is adjancted to the main railway station terminal and they are both under the elevated rail tracks (that's the thing that looks as a highway ramp) forming a complex and efficient transportation hub approximatively close to the center of the city (we should add to this that the future LRT of Skopje will also have a stop here + the suburban bus station has also been moved to a new terminal near this one).
There is absolutely no point to expand it to the outside cause the whole concept will not make sence anymore. I also don't see a point to put greenery there, it's just not meant to be that way. Do we see greenery on big highway junctions?! Some things are just meant to be raw concrete and grey. Maybe that concept doesn't look beautiful to some people (I personaly like it) but the whole complex is a very nice representative from the 70s style (it is designed by an Japanese architect and is very similar to Japanese stations constructed in the same period, I think Kobe has a very similar one).

And BTW on these pics U are only seeing the parking slots for the busses. The actual terminal is hard to be spotted on many of the pics cause of the big columns. Here are some older pics of the enterior I took a while ago, I might get some new ones soon of the whole place cause these are just around the exit to the parking slots.

Here is a bit better shot of how it looks at night

This is an areal of the whole complex. The only thing I would add is a big dome covering the entire thing. that would add a whole new dimension to it

dewrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM   #9
dewrob

nice pics Realek... my small contribution to the new thread, some nice pics I found around the net...

kakacondoqn liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #10
lakerdar123

Quote:
Originally Posted by djurob
the only thing I agree about is the size, but I guess that too is in accordance to the demands for bus transportation in the country.

I find the setting and environment to be ultra urban. It is adjancted to the main railway station terminal and they are both under the elevated rail tracks (that's the thing that looks as a highway ramp) forming a complex and efficient transportation hub approximatively close to the center of the city (we should add to this that the future LRT of Skopje will also have a stop here + the suburban bus station has also been moved to a new terminal near this one).
There is absolutely no point to expand it to the outside cause the whole concept will not make sence anymore. I also don't see a point to put greenery there, it's just not meant to be that way. Do we see greenery on big highway junctions?! Some things are just meant to be raw concrete and grey. Maybe that concept doesn't look beautiful to some people (I personaly like it) but the whole complex is a very nice representative from the 70s style (it is designed by an Japanese architect and is very similar to Japanese stations constructed in the same period, I think Kobe has a very similar one).

And BTW on these pics U are only seeing the parking slots for the busses. The actual terminal is hard to be spotted on many of the pics cause of the big columns. Here are some older pics of the enterior I took a while ago, I might get some new ones soon of the whole place cause these are just around the exit to the parking slots.

Here is a bit better shot of how it looks at night

This is an areal of the whole complex. The only thing I would add is a big dome covering the entire thing. that would add a whole new dimension to it

now i see... thanks. i thougt the bus station was only that place Realek took pictures off. never mind it looks good.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Realek

Quote:
lakerdar, you have to keep the concept of "hub" in mind when analizing the bus station. Perhaps you are not familiar with the big picture here... djurob explained a lot of stuff. I will just add some things.

1.For the size... IIRC it has 24 slots for departures and 8 for arivals, plus some auxiliary slots. I dont think it is huge but it definately not small. It was planned to meet the demand, not to be megalomanic.
2.It is not under a highway ramp, but under the main railway station Bridge. That thing is HUGE. It has 10 tracks located on a bridge 1,5km long and 110m wide (the wide part of the bridge is 700m long and represents the actual station). It is also 10+ meters high.
3.The actual terminal is new and it is very modern as you can see on djurob's pics.

Here is the bridge:

The narrowing of the bridge on the south side:

Under the bridge:

The whole thing from a different perspective:

Last edited by Realek; April 19th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Realek

The central railway station

One of the entrances:

The ticket counters and and the big info screen wich they dont turn on anymore

They relly only on dozen of these (and few smaller info screens on that still work)

2nd floor:

This used to host passenger services. Now it is an internet caffe. Macedonian Railways are in big financial mess They are getting restructured now. I'll be writing about that soon in the Macedonia development thread.

At the top:

A diesel locomotive pulled train boarding (to the left) and an electric locomotive passing through (to the right)

Electric Locomotive (441 class) pulling a long train wich is a rarety since the begining of the 90's when the rail transport in Macedonia suffered a heavy blow due to circumstances in the neighbouhood

Last edited by Realek; April 19th, 2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #13
Realek

The suburban bus station:

Some worker taking care of oil spills

This is one of the intersections around the suburban bus station. Too much busses around the "Transport center" are clogging the intersections in the vicinity. There roads around the complex are barely coping with the traffic (especially since the suburban station was moved here) because not all the transport infrastructure has been built. In the future an urban freeway also on a bridge will pass parallel to the railway station and a huge interchange is planned just next to the concrete building in the background.

Last edited by Realek; April 19th, 2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:14 PM   #14
got pidh?

Likes (Received): 0

it looks nice actually much better than tirana's one lol our transportation system is pretty bad
got pidh? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM   #15
Realek

Here are some bonus pics of the city taken from the platform of the railway station to wrap it up.

The Macedonian Television building:

There is also a postal hub in the complex:

Last edited by Realek; April 19th, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #16
dewrob

the railway termnial is craving for reconstruction. But I don't see anything happening there before the railway company gets back on track, before the railroad to Bulgaria is finished and before new fast trains are purchased to make it interesting for the wider population again.

the suburban bus terminal I think they should put more make up on it...
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM   #17
Realek

I hope in 2 yers time I'll be able to post some pics from the planned LRT station under the transport center complex too.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:33 PM   #18
Realek

lakerdar I kind of ruined the thread with too much concrete, but I hope you have a better idea how the complex really looks like. So I hope it was worth it

What do you think about it?

Last edited by Realek; September 22nd, 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM   #19
BL

Likes (Received): 4

this station to mee was one of the most interesting thing in skopje. i like the concept it is so unique for this area
BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:59 PM   #20
lakerdar123

it looks good. seems i pre judeged based on those few pics. nice job prooving me wrong on most points. still a little smaller then it should be. i think skopje needs something bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
skopje

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: