St George's Urban Village | Summer/Dayus/Tenby/Camden/Moreton/Albion Houses | Residential/Commercial | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Braidy

Likes (Received): 14

St George's Urban Village | Summer/Dayus/Tenby/Camden/Moreton/Albion Houses | Residential/Commercial | U/C

Renders

Dayus House

First of all .. 'hello'. Came across this forum a few months ago and it's become compulsive reading even though I know little about buildings. I do though care a lot about how Birmingham develops.

Have to say I'm very excited about seeing the city when the Eastside (including MG, SHT et al) is finished.

My main question though - I've not seen it mentioned yet - is if anyone else saw the initial plans for the St George development in the Jewellery Quarter. Quite a large plot of land is earmarked for redevelopment from St George Works on Icknield St and going up between Carver St, Camden St. I was told it's as big a development as Brindley Place but that might be stretching it.

I saw the plans in St Pauls Gallery - they hadn't even been put forward for planning - but they were very exciting (especially as it's the dull view from my apartment). One obstacle though are the listed and very ugly derelict buildings and toilets at the bottom of Carver St.

All the usual talk of mixed use - apartments, restaurants, offices, two hotels (one budget and one not), bars etc.

At least it would give the Jewellery Quarter one attractive entrance to entice people into the area.

Last edited by belfastuniguy; March 12th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Braidy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3174

Hello Braidy and welcome!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 413

Hi Braidy

Haven't seen much regarding the large tract of land you mention but this is what's going up on the Warstone Lane / Carver St site.

[IMG]http://i12.************/2yosaph.jpg[/IMG]

C/03024/06/FUL

www.idpartnership.com have designed the buildings. The only other large scale development I know of is the A E Harris site

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; January 12th, 2007 at 12:33 PM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Braidy

Thanks for that. Can't see the Old Red Lion on those plans. Looking forward to having a local health centre here (next to the pub).

The website for the development isn't showing anything yet but for your information will be http://www.stgeorgesbirmingham.com/

I'd like to post some photos of some of the buildings that are being considered for demolition but I can't post any attachments. Is that a newbie thing or can I change it?
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braidy View Post
Thanks for that. Can't see the Old Red Lion on those plans. Looking forward to having a local health centre here (next to the pub).

The website for the development isn't showing anything yet but for your information will be http://www.stgeorgesbirmingham.com/

I'd like to post some photos of some of the buildings that are being considered for demolition but I can't post any attachments. Is that a newbie thing or can I change it?
Hello Braidy!

No that attachments thing is to do with stickys and locks etc.

I've managed to get pictures on and I have the same thing.

You need to go the www.photobucket.com and open an account (foc).

You then upload the pictures from your computer into Photobucket.

Having done that, every picture you upload has 3 titles/references below it.

If you copy the bottom one, the IMG ref into your post, the pictures appear.

It sounds complicated, but it's not. I tried it recently and lo & behold it works! I'm an IT luddite, so if I can do it, it can;t be difficult!!

Give it a go!
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 572

Hi Braidy! Welcome and thanks for the info.

IDPartnership are also doing the old Birmingham Mint site a bit further down.

I believe the site you have told us about is the old Bulpitts factory - near Gallery54?

It will be good to see this part of the JQ come alive because it is a bit of a scar and too quiet at night. Do you know whether this includes plans for the old George & Dragon pub?

There is some work underway at the bottom of Carver St, and a couple of buildings have just been sold around there.
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Braidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
IDPartnership are also doing the old Birmingham Mint site a bit further down.

I believe the site you have told us about is the old Bulpitts factory - near Gallery54?

It will be good to see this part of the JQ come alive because it is a bit of a scar and too quiet at night. Do you know whether this includes plans for the old George & Dragon pub?

There is some work underway at the bottom of Carver St, and a couple of buildings have just been sold around there.
Well there are lots and lots of different buildings that will be included here. I think I was told it was a two acre site. I was also told that in all that area there's only 52 people working (it may have been 32 but 52 is still pitiful for such an area). Mind you, you still can't park around here in the daytime.

VERY dark corner of the JQ at night but if the plans go ahead even in a diluted form that should change a lot, especially with a hotel on Icknield St.

I know there are a few planning applications on the clockhouse side of Carver St for factories to be turned into apartments but this development is the other side of the road.

Everybody wants to know what's happening to the George and Dragon! It seems to keep changing hands, planning applications turned down and then sold again. I hope work starts on it soon before it's blown down by this wind. Seriously, it will be little more than a shell soon if it isn't now.

It seems an obvious thing to do but someone needs to grab it turn it into a VERY good pub / restaurant and bar. I would think there's enough people around here now to keep it going and when we get the hundreds more apartments on line it will be a goldmine.

You know, there's still no decent coffee shop around here yet. The only one that professed to be didn't even know how to use their Gaggia, went bust and was turned into an Indian Restaurant.

When we all bought our apartments in Wexler and Amazon I guess we thought there'd be a lot more change in almost 3 years than there has been. Still confident it's going to be amazing though ... eventually.
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Braidy

Oh, to answer the question. No, it doesn't include the George and Dragon pub. I'm making an educated guess that the new development will start almost exactly opposite me and I'm 100 Carver St - 3/4 of the way up or so.

Don't quite understand that. Why not go the whole hog? Buy the George and Dragon plus the couple of units next to it and then you've got the whole triangle to play with between Carver St/Pope St and Icknield St (apart from the council owned St George block).
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Braidy

Thanks, Fruit. I'll post more detailed shots when I've got them.

Taken from my balcony, this is a very big, ugly and empty building on Pope St (I'm guessing this is the start of the proposed development. It then goes all the way to Icknield St. including the buildings hidden in the foreground.)

Last edited by Braidy; January 12th, 2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Deleting Red X - learner forum user
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #10
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 267

Hey Braidy , nice shots but the last one is just a Red X .
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Well, I've done a bit of googlising...

On the St Georges website I spied a little logo. Further investigation suggests that this is a joint venture or a merger of Chord Developments and Deeley Group. Chord did JQOne (now complete cracking little scheme on Newhall St opposite the NCP car park)

and are doing St Paul's Place on St Paul's Square (the Costain project). They are Birmingham-based.

Deeley are general developers responsible for offices, business parks etc but they have a housing arm. Deeley Homes seem very traditional housebuilders but as Chord do resi, I suspect Deeley will be doing the rest of the mixed use (hotel, offices, leisure) and Chord the resi. Deeley seem to be Warwickshire-based.

Deeley are responsible for the fantastic Belgrade Plaza in Coventry

Last edited by Biosonic; January 12th, 2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Addition
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #12
fruit&nut
Proud European

[QUOTE=Braidy;11274219]Thanks, Fruit. I'll post more detailed shots when I've got them.

QUOTE]

It's a pleasure mate! Glad to see it worked!
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #13
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braidy View Post
Taken from my balcony...
Sorry, I'm looking at this picture for all the wrong reasons...
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #14
Braidy

More pics. This gives some idea of the size of the development if it goes ahead. It's bigger than it looks here because you can't see the buildings on Camden St that would go. The white building at the right of the pic in the distance is Studio 54 on Carver St and Icknield St which is the site they want to put a hotel on (if I've remembered correctly).

But this gives a glimpse of the large (I think) St George Works that will be pulled down

But they want to keep this

None of this (or almost none of it) is included in the dev. Just waiting for that flimsy blue sheeting on top of George and Dragon to go sailing off to the blue yonder

When I moved here a friend told me that my view wasn't 'the hanging gardens of Babylon'. True but it might become a little better.
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #15
fruit&nut
Proud European

Thanks for the pics Braidy!

I love ths old industrial landscapes in some ways - but yes, i think your view will be getting a lot better!
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #16
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 413

Looks like things are begining to happen round here. The wife says there's a Tesco sign up at the patch of land by Spring Hill Library
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Braidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
Looks like things are begining to happen round here. The wife says there's a Tesco sign up at the patch of land by Spring Hill Library
Yes, I noticed that the last time I took bottles to the recycling things down there. I was wondering how big a supermarket would be on that bit of land. But they buy up lots of pieces of land, don't they? Doesn't mean they'll do anything with it.

I agree with what people say about Tescos but if you don't have a good supermarket near you it's hard not to support whoever shows an interest. I was amazed that the Tesco at the Clock Tower in the JQ got planning permission but it'll make my life so much easier - though it's very hard on the small traders there that have to move out.

Going to the large Tesco at 5 Ways is a dispiriting experience and Star (Spar by any other name) is for emergencies only.
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #18
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 399

Tescos have owned the Spring Hill site for a long time. The original idea was that they would agree not to put a supermarket on the site in exchange for getting permission on Bristol Street (I believe thay also agreed to reduce the size of their Five Ways store).

They have recently tweaked the consent for Spring Hill so perhaps thay have decided to build a store there afterall.
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Braidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread View Post
They have recently tweaked the consent for Spring Hill so perhaps thay have decided to build a store there afterall.
Mr Tescos - on Radio 5 just now - has flatly denied Tescos having a 'Land Bank'. He said that if they buy a piece of land it is for the express purpose of building a supermarket on it.

So I guess somewhere there is a planning application for a Tescos to be built on this land.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Braidy, your wish could be coming true:

Quote:
C/02855/07/OUT

Carver Street, Pope Street, Moreton Street,, Camden Street & Icknield Street, Land At, Birmingham

Mixed use redevelopment of former industrial premises consisting of 720 studio, 1 & 2 bedroom apartments, 8 live-work units, 2 hotels, 8689m2 offices (B1), 2274m2 retail (A1 or A2), 1145m2 cafe/restaurant (A3) and 1081 parking spaces
No documents online as yet, but should be interesting!

There is also a demo application on C/02854/07/CAC

This is a huge scheme
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: