Piccadilly Gateway - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 45856

Piccadilly Gateway

Think we need a 'general' Piccadilly Gateway thread.

079974/LO/2006/C2

49 Piccadilly
Manchester
M1 2AP

LISTED BUILDING CONSENT for refurbishment of office building including restoration to front entrance, internal partitions and 6 No air conditioning units to flat roof

No associated documents yet.

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...rchtype=WEEKLY

http://www.anvic.co.uk/index.asp
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #2
mikeboss
Mikeisking

Likes (Received): 0

Seems like a good idea for a thread to me whoo second post do you class Picadilli basin as part of this?
mikeboss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #3
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
Seems like a good idea for a thread to me whoo second post do you class Picadilli basin as part of this?
There's already a Piccadilly Basin, Piccadilly Garden, Piccadilly Place,
and Piccadilly Hotel thread Mike.

This is a general Piccadilly Basin thread for Proposals that don't fall into the above Piccadilly areas/threads.

Last edited by jrb; January 13th, 2007 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #4
mikeboss
Mikeisking

So many Picadilli threads the place isn't even that big.
mikeboss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #5
Jongeman
van het noorden

Oh it is.....or it certainly will be. The areas around Store St, Fairfield St and London Rd are set for massive development.......generally not covered elsewhere.
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #6
mojojojo

cool. anyone got any pics?
mojojojo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Potato Man
I miss a hot dog

Likes (Received): 43

Any Ideas?

Quote:
A corner site opposite Piccadilly Station, Manchester with potential for an 11 storey office, residential and mixed use tower of up to 150,000 sq ft.

The massing study carried out by ISA takes into account the Masterplan for the Piccadilly Triangle area and the mixed use development proposals by Argent.
I don't recall having read this before - but I could be wrong. Chesterfields Massage Parlour & the Hollywood International Hotel?

Or out of date given that it references Piccadilly Triangle as opposed to Piccadilly Place.

http://www.targetfollow.co.uk/develo...view.php?id=20
Potato Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #8
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

No- a bit further down on the corner opposite the Fire station on the junction of Fairfield St and London Road. There is a advertising hoarding there at the moment.
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Potato Man
I miss a hot dog

Likes (Received): 43

Ahh... got ya. So not on Whitworth Street at all then.

So have plans been published. Or is your knowledge of the scheme more to do with your clandestine back room shenanigans on the 7th floor of the Town Hall Extension.
Potato Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #10
highriser

Likes (Received): 197

This would be right next to the Sleeperz hotel that is going to start soon , i think in the next few years Fairfeild St will see many new developments ,, linking up with the top of Gt Ancoats St .
The city spreading on all sides now
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #11
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 11695

Piccadilly Pic 28MAY07

markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #12
jrb
10th February 2008

Taken from DF.

Breathing new life into Piccadilly

REVAMPED: 79 Piccadilly

MORE than a decade ago a Cheshire based businessman made a shrewd investment buying 13 buildings around Piccadilly from Booths Charities.

They were a raggedy mix of old textile mills, warehouses and offices buildings, ten of them listed, and in various states of occupation and repair.

The neighbourhood’s fortunes faded in the late 1990s as the last of the textile companies died out and moved on.

However, the recent resurgence of the area, thanks mainly to the concerted efforts of the Piccadilly Partnership and the might and cash of the companies that form it, things have changed dramatically and finally the restoration of these old buildings makes financial sense.

The first to be reborn is 79 Piccadilly – a building walked past by thousands each day on their journey to and from the train station, but most probably have not looked up to appreciate the intricate detailing on the red brick and sandstone, or indeed the wonderful windows.

Inevitably its new use is as apartments, and it looks set to be one of the character buildings in the city, with the units owned by the people who actually live in them creating a sense of community.

Luxury

It’s a long way off complete but after 18 months of toil they have finally finished the first floor and fitted out two show apartments to give an idea of the level of luxury specification they are putting in.

A grand new front door off the main street leads into a perfectly preserved hallway decorated on both floor and wall with the original decorative tiles and a stone staircase with wrought iron balustrade that winds right the way up the building.

The apartments there are wide boards of solid oak for the hall and living area, good doors and wonderful original windows – although they are hidden behind the double glazing. The standard kitchen and bathroom fit is good, but the higher specification with Wenge wood units and mirror tiling is great.

The man behind Eastern Green is not big on publicity and fronting the company as well as overseeing the restoration is property manager Jacqueline Anderson Eyre. She said: “This is the first of the buildings we are converting and we wanted to make it very special. We have been around and looked at everything available in the city and do not think there is another listed building that has been done to this standard.

“We have owned this and several more for many years but believe what is happening in Piccadilly right now is phenomenal and it would not have been possible without the Partnership. They were able to talk to the city about key things like moving bus stops and widening the pavements which has made such a difference.

“We believe that this will become the best neighbourhood in Manchester, close to the station and the Gardens and what better address can you have than 79 Piccadilly.”

Investment

The increased investment in the area has seen a boom in residential schemes with other conversions by the likes of Maghull as well as new builds like Issa Quay helping to create a new residential area. The Partnership estimates that there will be 2,000 new apartments in the area in the next five years.

Values here have traditionally been lower than elsewhere in the city and while prices for 79 will not be revealed until the launch tomorrow, Anderson Eyre claims they will offer good value.

Jennifer Bennett, associate director at agents Julie Twist, said: “The market at the moment is to be swinging back in favour of owner occupiers and it is this type of development that is attracting them. They want a combination of a piece of history and high specification.

“And this is the area of the city where people who watch the market are keen to invest.”
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #13
jrb
10th February 2008

Another piece of the London Road/Piccadilly jigsaw slots into place.

12/14 Piccadilly
Manchester
M1 3AN

LISTED BUILDING CONSENT for the refurbishment of office building, including demolition of service core and walls in association with erection of 9 storey office building on adjacent site

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...=JGE1FZBC30000
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #14
highriser

Is this to replace the Prince of Wales building ? next to the Piccadilly bar ?
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #15
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser View Post
Is this to replace the Prince of Wales building ? next to the Piccadilly bar ?
Nooooooooooooo! It's the car park next to the old Barclays bank, which is now the Armani pound store.
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #16
highriser

oh right ,,,, i got a letter off the council about this the other day ,,glad something is planned for there .
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #17
nerd

Likes (Received): 2374

So does the building itself have planning consent?

I must say, it looks very overbearing to me - both to the Bank Buildings (which are very fine, and by Percy Worthington too); and also the pretty arts-and-crafts building for the Victorian street-boys/messengers charity behind.
nerd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #18
highriser

Nerd , the building that is behind this is the Waldorf pub .

Looks just the right size for this site to me
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #19
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Not diagonally behind it it aint!
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #20
nerd

Likes (Received): 2374

Quote:

Looks just the right size for this site to me
I would not quarrel with the height of the development - after all, the Crown House tower (as if) may be going up twice as high on the other side of the road. I would expect a building of 8 or 9 stories on this site; i.e. something around the same scale as the GMPTE offices in Piccadilly Place. Percy Worthington plainly expected a big building to go up next to his bank (and certainly almost anything is better than the curent void)

It is the design that seems to be the problem - at least on the illustrated render. It appears lop-sided and unbalanced. A more four-square design with the same volume (again you need only look at the GMPTE offices) would stand much better besides Percy's building. Not as gimicky or sexy perhaps - but there is a place for showing-off, and next door to a major architecural monument is not it.

And, as I read it, the intention is to demolish the service tower at the back of the old Bank building - and instert a new tower backing onto the roof-top terrace/play-ground on "Indemnity House" i.e. the street children's building. As to the Waldorf, I'm afraid I couldn't care less. I know that it is a favourite boozer for some; but my favourite - the Coach and Horses - went some years ago; and I am enough of a heritage nazi to find this sort of pastiche revolting.
nerd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement