Sidra Medical and Research Center | EDUCATION CITY | T/O - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Qatar > Doha Projects and Beyond

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 268

Sidra Medical and Research Center | EDUCATION CITY | T/O

Sidra Medical and Research Center

A high-tech teaching medical center initiated by Her Highness Sheikha Mozah will offer world-class clinical care, medical training and biomedical research in Qatar.

Part of the Qatar Foundation's ambitious Education City project, the medical center will serve as a primary teaching venue for Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar. Sidra will achieve the highest international standards in patient care, teaching and research.

Within the new facility, the research agenda will incorporate clinical and translational studies. A major focus will be women's and children's health, as well as other issues affecting Qatar's general population such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and obesity.

The medical center will incorporate the most sophisticated digital technology, from basic administrative functions to the assembly and application of genetic coding in high-level research.

Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar, already training students in Education City, will be responsible for the clinical teaching and will also be involved in the research conducted in the medical center.

Working with Sidra and Weill Cornell will be Hamad Medical Corporation, the major public healthcare provider in Doha. As academic affiliates of Weill Cornell, Sidra and Hamad Medical Corporation will develop an affiliation and partnership to capitalize and maximize research programs and skills to benefit patients and staff in Qatar's public health system.

The medical center will also represent a significant expansion of Qatar's expertise and resources in medicine and research. It will attract leading scientists and physicians from around the world, creating a biomedical knowledge base which can be exported to the world at large.

Funded by the Qatar Foundation, a commitment of U.S. $7.9 billion has been made to endow the medical center, the largest cash endowment of a medical and research center anywhere in the world.

Scheduled to open in late 2010, Sidra marks only the beginning of a program of investment in new hospitals which has been instigated by Her Highness Sheikha Mozah. Over the coming years, Qatar will invest in a network of new hospitals targeting various niches in the healthcare market.

Last edited by Halawala; March 8th, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

any renders , do you know where in education city is this oh and suzan if you dont mind finding a map of education city
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #3
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Likes (Received): 1

Thx Halawala for posting this!!
This was called Speciality Teaching Hospital..
I don't know exactly where it will be built.. I can find out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzan View Post
Thx Halawala for posting this!!
This was called Speciality Teaching Hospital..
I don't know exactly where it will be built.. I can find out

I thought this might be important; its the largest dedicated fund for medical research in the world! Suzan, please find out or if you can get renders.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #5
qatari 4 ever
BANNED

7.9 billion ?
qatari 4 ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM   #6
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatari 4 ever View Post
7.9 billion ?
+1!!!!

SSC Thread
My Blog
omarmakki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:08 AM   #7
Massilia
Qatar forums

Likes (Received): 5

that's a huge figure indeed...compare it to the theoretical cost of Lusail which is $5 billions 'only'!!
Massilia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM   #8
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Hehehe Just imagine it would be bigger and Lusail hahaha
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #9
Halawala
Fairouzy

This hospital is designed by one of my favorite architects Caesar Pelli, who also designed the Petronas Towers in KL.

Old March 8th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #10
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Thanks Halawala!
The render looks nice, though the resolution is not good !
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #11
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Sidra Medical & Research Center's sparkling design incorporates nature to promote healing

Qatar Foundation's Sidra Medical and Research Center today revealed architectural plans that combine cutting edge technology with an incandescent design that both reflects and celebrates the sky.

This outstanding landmark development will be the first academic medical and research center in the region based on the North American model and will provide the highest standards of healthcare.

World renowned architect Cesar Pelli, designer of the facility, said it would be 'one of the most important medical and research centers in the world.'

A modern structure of steel, glass and white ceramic tile, Sidra has been specially designed to be a benchmark for healing environments throughout the world. The dramatic design and landscaping includes three spectacular atriums that serve as indoor healing gardens - a unique feature that all patients will be able to view from their rooms and that will allow them to benefit from fresh air during the cooler months. The building also incorporates water features in the lobby and drop-off areas and a comprehensive art collection.

The towering atriums divide the sweeping facility into sections and accentuate the dedicated entrances of the three 'hospitals within a hospital' - one for children, one for women, and one for adults (male and female).

Connected by an enclosed walkway, a state of the art biomedical research center will be situated in the clinic building to the west of the main building. Plans call for construction of the initial clinic building in the first phase, with a second clinic building - a mirror image - to be built later. The historic house that currently exists on the property will be preserved and incorporated into the Sidra campus between the two high tech clinic buildings, symbolizing the importance of both tradition and progress.

According to Engineer Saad Al-Muhannadi, Qatar Foundation's Vice President for Capital Projects,

"Sidra Medical and Research Center is world class not only in terms of the technology inside but also in terms of its striking design. It is exceptional in its beauty as well as the superior quality of care it will offer to the people of Qatar."

An all digital facility, Sidra will be wireless, filmless and virtually paperless - a concept called 'paper-lite' - incorporating the latest technologies and equipment in all clinical, administrative and research functions. At the same time, the medical center will be consumer-focused, providing the ultimate in patient care and comfort. Offering similar amenities to a luxury hotel, all patient rooms will be private and generously sized, and will incorporate three zones to accommodate the patient, his/her family and an area for nurses and medical staff.

As noted earlier, the Sidra design is the creation of Cesar Pelli of Pelli Clarke Pelli and the project's executive architectural firm Ellerbe Becket. Both firms have created healthcare facilities around the world.

'The world class medical and research center that we are designing for Doha promises to be an exciting building by day and by night,' said Pelli. 'Sidra will be at the cutting edge of technology and at the same time a welcoming structure infused with life.'

Sidra Medical and Research Center will encompass three essential missions - world-class clinical care, medical education and biomedical research. Part of a collaborative effort entitled 'one program in multiple institutions,' the medical center will work closely with Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q) and Hamad Medical Corporation to promote excellence in all. As the most recent and most complex initiative to be launched by Qatar Foundation, Sidra will not only enhance the quality of healthcare in Qatar but help build the nation's scientific expertise and resources. Qatar Foundation has committed US$7.9 billion to endow the medical and research center, the largest endowment of a medical center anywhere in the world.

Sidra will be part of a new medical zone on the Education City campus which will also include residential accommodations for about 300 nurses, a car park, and a pedestrian walkway to Weill Cornell Medical College. Construction of the medical center is scheduled to begin in early 2008, with the opening anticipated in late 2010 with approximately 380 beds and infrastructure to enable expansion to 550 beds in a subsequent phase.

At full operation, Sidra will employ over 2,000 full time staff, including a team of highly talented and accomplished physicians and scientists to help establish the medical and research facility as a genuine center of excellence. Sidra medical staff will also be faculty at WCMC-Q.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Qatarifreak

I still can't seem to comprehend where the 7.9 Billion is going to. Looking at the pictures, the building does not seem that big. The technology employed, although the most advanced in the world, can't possibly cost billions. Can it??
Qatarifreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #13
Massilia
Qatar forums

Likes (Received): 5

Sure, it can, but it's not about the building. Funding for medical research is so huge...dozens of billions of dollars are provided in the US or in Europe each year..

Concerning the building, Cesar Pelli, that's a very big name, one of my favorite architects too, I'm sure it's gonna be amazing!
Massilia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #14
omarmakki
SSC's biggest 722 fan

The design looks pretty futuristic... I like it.

SSC Thread
My Blog
omarmakki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #15
TahaQ

Likes (Received): 4

That means if i get into Cornell in Qatar, I can frequent this hospital quite a lot??
TahaQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #16
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Old March 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #17
TahaQ

suzan, do you have any links with Cornell by any chance? I mean you've been there and everything and you seem to know quite a bit about it.
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #18
suzan
Que puedo decir?

Yes, I do know..
I don't know for wich purpose u want it.. but here it goes!

This is the website for Qatar Foundation www.qf.edu.qa ... If you click on the top on Education, you can check the link that takes you to Cornell..

This is a direct link to the Cornell Univ. http://www.qatar-med.cornell.edu/ It's pretty good, and I think it will help you.

Old March 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #19
TahaQ

Haha thank you so much! lol, i was actually asking whether YOU yourself have any connections with cornell university since you've been there? (or atleast I think you have?)
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #20
suzan
Que puedo decir?

LOOOOOOOOOL
Well, no! I don't know anyone there but only a student who used to be a student because she faild the premed test after two years being there and now she is in CMU bec she complained that it is hard! (Not trying to scare you )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement