Adelaide Tram Line Extension Complete! - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #1
AG

Likes (Received): 576

Adelaide Tram Line Extension Complete!

Construction on the expanded tram line has begun as of Saturday 7th April. Some images.

Courtesy of Will409, linked from Sensational Adelaide:

AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #2
GoBlues(CarltonFC)

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the photos. I have a few questions/comments:

1. It seems that they are extending the tram down King William Street to North Terrace and along North Terrace. Where is the new terminus?

2. Is the track going to be a car free track barricaded off from cars or like the southern end of King William Street where cars and trams share the same road?

3. What was their rationale for that route?

4. Were other routes discussed? If so where? I would rather have seen it go up to North Adelaide - say to Barton Terrace.

5. How long will North Terrace have one lane each way? North Terrace is a busy road. How is the traffic going to cope?

6. Is Holy Trinity church fenced off permanently or temporarily?

7. How much have they budgeted, if budgeted is the right word? I should have asked, "How much is it supposed to cost?"
GoBlues(CarltonFC) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #3
AG

The new terminus is at UniSA City West, adjacent to Morphett Street.

The tracks will not share lanes with other road traffic.

The route is being constructed to replace an existing bus service and provide a link between 3 major modes of public transport in the CBD.

The route to North Adelaide was originally proposed, but seems to have been shunned (at least for the time being) in favour of the current route that is under construction.

North Terrace will only be one lane each way up until tomorrow. This is a 24/7 construction zone over the easter weekend. Traffic has been rediverted to other roads during this weekend.

The Holy Trinity Church is only fenced off for the weekend.

The project is budgeted at $31 million.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #4
GoBlues(CarltonFC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
The new terminus is at UniSA City West, adjacent to Morphett Street.

The tracks will not share lanes with other road traffic.

The route is being constructed to replace an existing bus service and provide a link between 3 major modes of public transport in the CBD.

The route to North Adelaide was originally proposed, but seems to have been shunned (at least for the time being) in favour of the current route that is under construction.

North Terrace will only be one lane each way up until tomorrow. This is a 24/7 construction zone over the easter weekend. Traffic has been rediverted to other roads during this weekend.

The Holy Trinity Church is only fenced off for the weekend.

The project is budgeted at $31 million.
Thanks for that. Here's a few more questions/observations:

1. How is it going to come down King William Street? Down the middle where the median strip is? Will that be a separate enclosure for the tram? You got any photos of the King William Street work or hasn't that started yet.

2. The KW Street/North Terrace intersection which is already very busy will have a new sequence of traffic lights to get the trams around the corner. That should be interesting.

3. How many tram stops will there be along King William Street? One for every intersection (5)? How about along North Terrace? I'd presume the railway station and the terminus and maybe one between those two.

4. What's the completion date?

5. What is the likelihood of getting this job done on or under budget?
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #5
AG

The tram line will replace two road lanes adjacent to the median strip down King William Street, separate from other traffic. The only work that has occurred here so far is some cabling and piping works.

King William Street will have 2 tram stops, one at Rundle Mall and one at Pirie Street. The other tram stops are at City West and Adelaide Station. The existing Victoria Square tram stop is being replaced by a new one a few metres west.

The project is due to be completed by September this year. Not sure about the likeliness about whether this project is on target to meet the budget or not.
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #6
GoBlues(CarltonFC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
The tram line will replace two road lanes adjacent to the median strip down King William Street, separate from other traffic. The only work that has occurred here so far is some cabling and piping works.

King William Street will have 2 tram stops, one at Rundle Mall and one at Pirie Street. The other tram stops are at City West and Adelaide Station. The existing Victoria Square tram stop is being replaced by a new one a few metres west.

The project is due to be completed by September this year. Not sure about the likeliness about whether this project is on target to meet the budget or not.
Thanks again. Please update us when you have more photos and information.
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #7
UrbanSG

Likes (Received): 35

Didn't realise this page was going too. Here are some pics from today just before they opened North Tce back up. I am very happy to see the road will be getting resurfaced. I thought they may just do the tramline and some basic resurfacing near it. Luckily they are going the whole way. Interesting to see parts of the track not completely concreted. I think they may be using paving treatments to differentiate the tracks from the road (apart from the concrete). At least that is what the brochures have said. Very impressed so far, I love this project, it really is history making for Adelaide.

UrbanSG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
splashmo

It'll be history making when it goes out to North Adelaide or Port Adelaide.
splashmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #9
GoBlues(CarltonFC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmo View Post
It'll be history making when it goes out to North Adelaide or Port Adelaide.
Doesn't seem any point going down to the Morphett Street Bridge. I would have gone to Nth Adelaide.

How about this for a couple of better ideas (refer to map)

Plan 1: Just go straight up King William Street, past the Adelaide Oval, Cathedral, Children's Hospital, and up into O'Connell Street to Barton Terrace.

Plan 2: Make a circle route (two way) Continue along Barton Tce., turn left down Jeffcott Street, through Wellington Square, continue down Jeffcott, past Colonel Light's statue, down Montefiore Road over the Morphett Street Bridge, up Morphett Street left into Grote Street back to Victoria Square.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #10
UrbanSG

No, history making is when it actually gets constructed through the heart of a city instead of terminating at the southern edge. The fact this is now going to run through the two of the busiest CBD streets, linking with the Railway Station is impressive. Maybe we can get this extension done first before think about the next steps. After all the opposition to this stage I wouldn't be surprised if the government says stuff it, this extension this will do. I wouldn't blame them.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #11
UrbanSG

GoBlues it connects to the Railway Station which is far more important and the Uni SA City West Campus, not to mention the convention centre, hotels etc. What is the obsession with linking it to North Adelaide? The amount of NIMBYS out there wouldn't have a bar of it anyway
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #12
JAKJ

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSG View Post
GoBlues it connects to the Railway Station which is far more important and the Uni SA City West Campus, not to mention the convention centre, hotels etc. What is the obsession with linking it to North Adelaide? The amount of NIMBYS out there wouldn't have a bar of it anyway
No, suprisingly the North Adelaide Nimbys want the tram...
JAKJ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #13
GoBlues(CarltonFC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKJ View Post
No, suprisingly the North Adelaide Nimbys want the tram...
So what was the govt's/council's rationale for Nth Tce.? Why was Nth Adelaide not the route?
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #14
crawf

Likes (Received): 591

Still can't believe its finally under construction, those photos show history in the making .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlues(CarltonFC)
So what was the govt's/council's rationale for Nth Tce.? Why was Nth Adelaide not the route?
Because this route will be more patronised, as it passes the Railway Station, Hotels, Convention Centre and UNISA City West. plus its right near the Adelaide City Tafe Campus and ArtsSA.

After this and if everything goes well this new tramline, the next plan is to make a loop, connecting the tramline back to Victoria Square (passing the u/c Bus Terminal, Precinct Development and Central Markets)

Other future plans include extending it to the East End, Port Adelaide and North Adelaide.

www.transport.sa.gov.au/tramextension
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #15
Minnesota Twin

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlues(CarltonFC) View Post
Doesn't seem any point going down to the Morphett Street Bridge. I would have gone to Nth Adelaide.

How about this for a couple of better ideas (refer to map)

Plan 1: Just go straight up King William Street, past the Adelaide Oval, Cathedral, Children's Hospital, and up into O'Connell Street to Barton Terrace.

Plan 2: Make a circle route (two way) Continue along Barton Tce., turn left down Jeffcott Street, through Wellington Square, continue down Jeffcott, past Colonel Light's statue, down Montefiore Road over the Morphett Street Bridge, up Morphett Street left into Grote Street back to Victoria Square.

Trams up to North Adelaide with a stop outside the Adelaide Oval? I'd like to see that.
Minnesota Twin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #16
crawf

Stage 3 of the Tramline Extension along King William St is currently underway - between North Terrace and Franklin/Flinders Street. Thanks to Will409 on S-A/Railpage again for his fantastic updates.

Quote:
I have come back from on the ground and as usual, there has been a lot of progress since yesterday. Clearing of the road surface has now just about been completed to Franklin Street/Flinders Street. Sleeper laying has also been finished just after Waymouth/Pirie Streets with rails laid upto Grenfell/Currie Streets. Work is progressing at a furious pace. The pedestrian bridges are a very useful way to get good photos on the worksite without actually being on the worksite if you know what I mean. As you would expect from such a large stage of work, I have dragged back a HUGE amount of photos but I am going to limit myself to 13 photos per post to save on upload time.

I made a run to Glenelg between some shots (about an hour and a half time difference) and the rails had advanced beyond the pedestrian bridge.

Looking south from the new Rundle Mall stop.

North from the same vantage point.

Looking south at Grenfell/Currie Street intersection.

Pedestrian footbridge at Grenfell/Currie Street intersection.

Seperating sleepers that had been tied up for transport.

Earth works near the Franklin/Flinders Street intersection.

Timber forming for the eventual concrete curb work.

Aligning the track.

Track welding.

Who do you think is going to win?

More earth work.

Sleeper laying advanced further down King William Street.

Another Thermit weld further down the line.

Last edited by crawf; May 20th, 2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #17
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2468

any maps of the new tram lines?? when i was last in adelaide (10 years ago lol) i can remember that there was only one line from glenelg to the city??
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #18
Stan
NZ

Likes (Received): 8

Yeah a map would be good thanks.
Stan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #19
crawf

As requested